Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Sheraton Kauai, Hawaii [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 1, 2019, 6:21 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: cmatthews11
Hotel email address: [email protected]

As of October 2021, daily resort charge is $30.00 plus tax, per room, per day. Infusions are subject to change:
  • Daily water sports demonstration/instruction (in Resort Pool): Snorkel and surf
  • Daily fitness classes: Yoga & water aerobics
  • Daily cultural activities: Hula, Ukelele, Lei making, Pond fishing
  • Welcome Macadamia Nut Gift (1 time only on the hotel side)
  • Wi-Fi access
Confirmed for Platinum Elite+ members, breakfast at Lava's includes 2 entrees from the menu + 2 drinks (coffee/juice). Additional items may cost additional, depending on waiter/waitress. Guests can choose a one-time deposit of 1,000 points in lieu of breakfast.

There are reclining beach chairs poolside that ate complimentary (no view of the beach for the most part), all other seating there is a charge, such as:
  • Beach chairs: $10 per day, per chair (8AM-5PM)
  • Beach umbrella: $18
  • Green cabanas (Beach side, seats 2): $75 per day
  • Red cabanas (Pool side, seats 4-6): $150
Self-parking is free and valet is not currently being offered. Proof of vaccination was required by security at check-in, unclear if negative covid test will suffice.

Besides breakfast, no clear additional benefits for loyalty members aside from the chance of an upgrade and/or late checkout.
Print Wikipost

Sheraton Kauai, Hawaii [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Jun 11, 2009, 8:08 am

Programs: UA GS/4 MM, AA Exec Plat, Lifetime Hilton D, Hyatt G, Marriott Titanium earned Ambassador
At our last dinner one of our friends brought her daughter. She knows about the Hyatt and says the employees are constantly monitored for "attitude". That resort is running at 75% plus and management feels "attitude" has lots to do with it. Like I said the Sheraton staff period is mechanical. The only person we met with any personality was one of the valets. I asked a basic question about getting to Kauai Coffee which the agent could not answer. I ended up looking online.

BTW. Kauai Coffee. We went on Tuesday. They roast in the "museum" on Tuesday and Friday at 9:30 AM. We had a great time talking with the roaster and watched the whole process. Ended up not having enough time to visit Kauai Cookie further down to road and a left on 50.
Old Aug 13, 2009, 10:19 pm

Planning a visit to Kauai with the family (kids will be 9 and 6) for next summer for 6 nights. I have mostly SPG points and am planning on spending at least 5 of the 6 nights here given that the 5th night is "free." I also have enough Hyatt points for one night at the Hyatt. Based on your experiences at the Sheraton and the Hyatt, would it be worth it to spend our last night at the Hyatt vs. just spending the 6th night at the Sheraton?
Old Aug 13, 2009, 10:58 pm

Programs: AA LT PLT, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by jonu
Planning a visit to Kauai with the family (kids will be 9 and 6) for next summer for 6 nights. I have mostly SPG points and am planning on spending at least 5 of the 6 nights here given that the 5th night is "free." I also have enough Hyatt points for one night at the Hyatt. Based on your experiences at the Sheraton and the Hyatt, would it be worth it to spend our last night at the Hyatt vs. just spending the 6th night at the Sheraton?
Tough call imo. While the Hyatt is certainly nicer, would it really be worth it to pack up and move the whole family down the street for 1 night? If you were staying 7 or 8 nights I could see breaking up your stay 5/2 or 5/3 to take advantage of 5th night free and still experience the Hyatt. On the other hand, your 1 night at the Hyatt would be free, so that makes the decision a bit tougher. Personally I don't know that I'd want to relocate for my final day. But starting out at the Hyatt for 1 night and then relocating to the Sheraton might feel like a downgrade. Like I said, tough call!
Old Aug 14, 2009, 5:14 am

Originally Posted by broadwayblue
Tough call imo. While the Hyatt is certainly nicer, would it really be worth it to pack up and move the whole family down the street for 1 night? If you were staying 7 or 8 nights I could see breaking up your stay 5/2 or 5/3 to take advantage of 5th night free and still experience the Hyatt. On the other hand, your 1 night at the Hyatt would be free, so that makes the decision a bit tougher. Personally I don't know that I'd want to relocate for my final day. But starting out at the Hyatt for 1 night and then relocating to the Sheraton might feel like a downgrade. Like I said, tough call!
It would be free either way as I am using either an additional 11,500 Starwood points for the 6th night (planning for a Deluxe Garden room in the Ocean Block). I am also thinking it would be for the last night to maximize the time at the Hyatt as we arrive pretty late the first night (7 pm), giving us ~24 hours at the Hyatt. Kids are well-travelled, but it would still be a pain. But that Hyatt does look pretty amazing! Too bad CC is down - maybe I could have arranged for a trade for more nights at the Hyatt!
Old Aug 14, 2009, 7:58 am

Programs: AA LT PLT, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by jonu
It would be free either way as I am using either an additional 11,500 Starwood points for the 6th night (planning for a Deluxe Garden room in the Ocean Block). I am also thinking it would be for the last night to maximize the time at the Hyatt as we arrive pretty late the first night (7 pm), giving us ~24 hours at the Hyatt. Kids are well-travelled, but it would still be a pain. But that Hyatt does look pretty amazing! Too bad CC is down - maybe I could have arranged for a trade for more nights at the Hyatt!
I see your point about maximizing your time at the Hyatt by spending your last day there. But as you say it would be a pain...and might not be the most relaxing way to finish your vacation in paradise. Then again, after 5 nights at the Sheraton you should be quite relaxed. Regarding CC, I believe it is expected to be back up today.
Old Aug 25, 2009, 11:07 pm

Programs: SPG, UA, AA, Hilton, Marriott
Kauai Sheraton

The staff at this hotel are incredible!
Old Aug 26, 2009, 4:04 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond
I just came back from a stay at the Sheraton Kauai and I'm pretty sure I would not return there. As platinum I was upgraded to a deluxe ocean view room from a garden view room, although when I checked my SPG account prior to arrival it said I was booked in a luxury ocean view room. I think the front desk clerk changed my pre-assigned room upon check in because I noticed she erased the previous room # which I could still read on my room key jacket that had a better location. The ocean view was still really nice, so no real complaint there, but it was a little annoying being downgraded. The room itself had recently been renovated and is large, but had a strange musty odor and there was already a lot of wear and tear showing.

The staff at the resort were not as friendly and helpful as the ones I encountered on Oahu at both the Royal Hawaiian and Marriott. They also only grant late check out for Platinums the day before check out. When I requested late check out the front desk clerk didn't seem to want to grant me it, but did so because I was Platinum.

The location is nice since it's right on the beach next to Poipu beach. The property and grounds look dated especially the garden section that is across the street. I think I would have been really unhappy if I had to stay in those rooms.

They do give you one coupon for buffet breakfast which has a value of $22 if you forgo housekeeping. However, it's limited to one coupon per person per table per room which really isn't valuable if you're traveling with two or more people. I for one didn't think $11 per person (coupon split by two) to eat at the buffet was worth it considering all the cheap places to eat a really good breakfast in Kauai.

All in all a very mediocre stay. It's not a bad hotel... but next time I'm in Kauai I'd probably choose a different hotel. Oh... and the Beach House restaurant that is really close by is an awesome place to get some fresh hawaiian fish. Best dinner experience I had in Kauai.
Old Sep 4, 2009, 3:42 pm

Programs: WN A+CP, UAL, Marriott LTPPE
Originally Posted by AICML
They do give you one coupon for buffet breakfast which has a value of $22 if you forgo housekeeping.
I often forego housekeeping so getting a perk (albeit maybe not a large one) is a nice gesture.
I will be in Kauai next week at the Westin in Princeville and may give the Sheraton a night or two also
Old Nov 30, 2009, 12:15 pm

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AA Exec Plat, Marriott Lifetime Plat, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Globalist
Does anyone have any new comments about the Sheraton lately? Also, any ideas about the recent occupancy levels?
Old Nov 30, 2009, 12:36 pm

I was there for 2 nights during the last week of October. It had pretty light occupancy. As a Plat, I got an upgrade to a deluxe ocean view room in the ocean wing. I was there two years prior and everything was about the same. I like this hotel and think it's a bargain as a Cat 4.
Old Nov 30, 2009, 12:55 pm

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AA Exec Plat, Marriott Lifetime Plat, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by thor17
I was there for 2 nights during the last week of October. It had pretty light occupancy. As a Plat, I got an upgrade to a deluxe ocean view room in the ocean wing. I was there two years prior and everything was about the same. I like this hotel and think it's a bargain as a Cat 4.
Thanks. We're going to be there the middle of next week and I was hoping the light occupancy would help with our upgrade chances. Is the ocean view room in the ocean wing that you mentioned above the same as what others have mentioned as the ocean front room in the ocean wing? I thought the "ocean VIEW" room was in the not-so-good garden wing. Thanks for the clarification.
Old Nov 30, 2009, 3:31 pm

Programs: SPG LT Plat, Hilton G,Priorty Club G, AC E
Been twice and as a PLAT...

...got the same u/g both times.....room as it the end of the hallway...and it has 2 balconies one facing the beach and one well it faces the continuation of the beach...one time got it on the second floor so I could yell up to my wife in the room and she could toss stuff down to me on the beach...very convenient!
Old Nov 30, 2009, 5:08 pm

Originally Posted by scotty00
Thanks. We're going to be there the middle of next week and I was hoping the light occupancy would help with our upgrade chances. Is the ocean view room in the ocean wing that you mentioned above the same as what others have mentioned as the ocean front room in the ocean wing? I thought the "ocean VIEW" room was in the not-so-good garden wing. Thanks for the clarification.
It was an deluxe ocean front in the ocean wing. I think the partial ocean view rooms are the ones in the garden wing, which you want to avoid.
Old Nov 30, 2009, 9:12 pm

Programs: UA GS, Marriott LT Titanium
Was there last week

Was there last Wednesday - Friday. Was initially offered an upgrade to Deluxe Oceanfront room but took the Garden Suite as we needed the extra room. Service was ok except for the Conceirges who seemed clueless about area restaurants or attractions.

Platinums get free Valet parking which is nice perk when you are travelling with a four year old -- we just pulled into a spot right at the main entrance and were good to go.

Sunset was amazing from this hotel -- good location and close to most major attractions, except for the North shore.
Old Dec 18, 2009, 9:02 am

was there dec 9

we left st. regis after 2 wonderful nights to see the south part of the island and chose to stay at the sheraton in poipu.
it seems like everyone else got upgraded to oceanview. i was booked on C&P and was offered a "free" upgrade from mountain to garden. i asked about ocean and she said it would be an add'l $80/night. really?! i declined. our room wasn't ready so we killed time at the pool/beach and went to our room after that. once we got there i was really disappointed. the room seemed outdated and run down. we had a view of the garden pool (aka dirty mildewed looking pool). i now wish i had pics to share. i quickly got on the phone with spg and asked about canceling my room and what options were available to book at the st. regis. luckily i had enough points to switch and get C&P at the st. regis for the final 2 nights (where they also upgraded us for free to an oceanview room). i would consider the sheraton in poipu a 3 star property at best. we stayed at the lax sheraton which hands down was a better property than this "resort". if you are looking for service and quality...avoid sheraton poipu and book the st. regis.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.