Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Sheraton Kauai, Hawaii [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 1, 2019, 6:21 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: cmatthews11
Hotel email address: [email protected]

As of October 2021, daily resort charge is $30.00 plus tax, per room, per day. Infusions are subject to change:
  • Daily water sports demonstration/instruction (in Resort Pool): Snorkel and surf
  • Daily fitness classes: Yoga & water aerobics
  • Daily cultural activities: Hula, Ukelele, Lei making, Pond fishing
  • Welcome Macadamia Nut Gift (1 time only on the hotel side)
  • Wi-Fi access
Confirmed for Platinum Elite+ members, breakfast at Lava's includes 2 entrees from the menu + 2 drinks (coffee/juice). Additional items may cost additional, depending on waiter/waitress. Guests can choose a one-time deposit of 1,000 points in lieu of breakfast.

There are reclining beach chairs poolside that ate complimentary (no view of the beach for the most part), all other seating there is a charge, such as:
  • Beach chairs: $10 per day, per chair (8AM-5PM)
  • Beach umbrella: $18
  • Green cabanas (Beach side, seats 2): $75 per day
  • Red cabanas (Pool side, seats 4-6): $150
Self-parking is free and valet is not currently being offered. Proof of vaccination was required by security at check-in, unclear if negative covid test will suffice.

Besides breakfast, no clear additional benefits for loyalty members aside from the chance of an upgrade and/or late checkout.
Print Wikipost

Sheraton Kauai, Hawaii [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Apr 21, 2007, 3:55 pm

Programs: AA EXP/4MM, UA GS, AS MVP GOLD 75K
Originally Posted by ktjan
were you able to get an oceanview room upgrade at this hotel?
At this property SPG Platinum will almost always get you an Oceanfront front, and often to a suite upgrade. You'll definitely get moved out of the garden wing - which actually won't be part of the hotel much longer as they are converting it to timeshares.
Old Apr 21, 2007, 4:04 pm

Programs: UA 1P; SPG Plat;
Originally Posted by olimaspecto
At this property SPG Platinum will almost always get you an Oceanfront front, and often to a suite upgrade. You'll definitely get moved out of the garden wing - which actually won't be part of the hotel much longer as they are converting it to timeshares.
Just a nitpick...but Platinum will get upgraded...assuming there are rooms to upgrade into on the Ocean side of the hotel. Granted it is unlikely to be full, but we don't take any chances when we've stayed here. We reserve a room on the Ocean side and hope to get an upgrade to a prime oceanfront room or suite. So far we have been successful each time. I just wouldn't take a chance that could keep you on the Garden side.
Old Apr 23, 2007, 10:35 am

Originally Posted by DCF
Superb stay two weeks ago.

Booked Ocean View King, upgraded to HUGE Deluxe Ocean View (not a suite).

I much prefer this property to the Princeville which is miles from anywhere and a waste of time unless you're a golfer. The rooms are far better than the Westin Maui.

And even the garden view side isn't too bad.....
We've always enjoyed this property but haven't been there since the renovation. Had you been there prior to this visit? What is your opinion of the renovation? I assume the rooms had new furniture, flat screen tv, etc. I agree on preferring it to Princeville, though I always visit there for a round at the Prince course, we prefer the weather and beach (among other things) at the SKR. We are thinking of heading back this summer and I'd appreciate any other comments you have on your stay. TIA!
Old Apr 23, 2007, 11:47 am

Originally Posted by clover
We've always enjoyed this property but haven't been there since the renovation. Had you been there prior to this visit? What is your opinion of the renovation? I assume the rooms had new furniture, flat screen tv, etc. I agree on preferring it to Princeville, though I always visit there for a round at the Prince course, we prefer the weather and beach (among other things) at the SKR. We are thinking of heading back this summer and I'd appreciate any other comments you have on your stay. TIA!
I've stayed at the property multiple tmes pre and post renovation, and I must say that the rooms are much nicer now. The bathrooms have been expanded and vastly improved and the redecoration of the rooms in general is very appealing. I've only stayed in the Ocean wing, and so that's what my experience is based on, but if you can get a Deluxe Garden Room or Ocean Front froom in the Ocean Wing, I can assure you that you'll be very happy with it. On my most recent trip I stayed at the Princeville immediately after, and while the Princeville is still extraordinary and much more elegant and refined, you'll feel as if the rooms are dated coming from the Sheraton.
Old Apr 23, 2007, 11:51 am

Just a nitpick...but Platinum will get upgraded...assuming there are rooms to upgrade into on the Ocean side of the hotel. Granted it is unlikely to be full, but we don't take any chances when we've stayed here. We reserve a room on the Ocean side and hope to get an upgrade to a prime oceanfront room or suite. So far we have been successful each time. I just wouldn't take a chance that could keep you on the Garden side.
Upgrades are always based on availability at any hotel, and this hotel always seems to have upgrade-able space, based on my travels there throughout the year (in low and high seasons). I almost always book a standard Garden room and have always gotten upgraded to the Ocean Wing (both as a Gold and a Plat); if the standard garden rooms are sold out, then I book a Deluxe garden (in the Ocean Wing), or a Partial Ocean View (in the Garden Wing) and again have always been upgraded. The hotel sems to sell out more of the Garden cheap rooms than the Ocean/Beach wing rooms, which is why its a safe bet to chance the upgrade.
Old Apr 24, 2007, 5:45 am

Programs: UA-Platimum 2 MM, HH-Gold, MR-Lifetime Gold, Hyatt-Discoverist
On my most recent trip I stayed at the Princeville immediately after, and while the Princeville is still extraordinary and much more elegant and refined, you'll feel as if the rooms are dated coming from the Sheraton.
Interesting comment on the rooms at the Princeville. On my last trip to Kauai, I stayed at the Hyatt and drove out to Princeville. I was interested in seeing what the rooms were like, given all the fantastic comments about this property, and so wandered around the halls as the cleaning staff were going about their business and 'peeked' into various rooms. I was not impressed with the furnishings, nor size of the rooms and found them to be at best, slightly above average. That coupled with the long drive from the airport, and the fact that aside from golf (I'm not a player), there wasn't much to make me want to stay here, I happily went back to Poipu Beach. Also glad to hear of the Sheraton's rooms as I am no longer a Diamond at Hyatt and so will be staying at a Starwood for my next visit to Kauai.
Old Apr 24, 2007, 9:43 am

Originally Posted by mauld
Interesting comment on the rooms at the Princeville. On my last trip to Kauai, I stayed at the Hyatt and drove out to Princeville. I was interested in seeing what the rooms were like, given all the fantastic comments about this property, and so wandered around the halls as the cleaning staff were going about their business and 'peeked' into various rooms. I was not impressed with the furnishings, nor size of the rooms and found them to be at best, slightly above average. That coupled with the long drive from the airport, and the fact that aside from golf (I'm not a player), there wasn't much to make me want to stay here, I happily went back to Poipu Beach. Also glad to hear of the Sheraton's rooms as I am no longer a Diamond at Hyatt and so will be staying at a Starwood for my next visit to Kauai.
Welcome to the *wood side! I agree on the comment on the Princeville rooms though I haven't yet seen the "new" SKR rooms. Be advised though that the Hyatt is a higher end property than the SKR. I like the SKR for what it is but the Hyatt Kauai is a nicer campus with more luxurious rooms, public areas, etc. (disclaimer: I was last at the Hyatt in '99). It also has a nice spa area. On the other hand, there is no beach on the property while the SKR has a great beach that are a few steps from the beachfront rooms.

We like the SKR for what it is: a nice, low key resort with a great beach in Poipu and....all my SPG Plat amenities! We will probably be back there again next year.
Old Apr 24, 2007, 9:49 pm

I'm not so sure that the timeshares will be going where the garden rooms are. We were there in January and were moved from the Ocean Wing to a garden room for a late checkout and courtesy room. The garden rooms have all been updated and are quite decent. I'd be surprised to see HOT spend that kind of money only to clear it in the not too distant future.
Old Apr 25, 2007, 2:43 pm

Programs: AA PLT Pro 1.93MM+, UA Gold, SWA Comp Pass, Marriott Plat, Hyatt Explorist
I concur on "not taking chances", as last November I was sent to the Garden Side even with a Platinum status (and the suite was disappointing).

It was only for one night while waiting to check into my timeshare next door (Marriott - Waiohai), but I'd expected better as being Platinum. As for the property itself, I still believe it needs some serious updating. However, the restaurant (Shells) is quite good

This year, I'll do a better job prior to arrival and ensure I get an Ocean view - else, I'm heading down the road to the Hyatt!
Old Apr 25, 2007, 3:32 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by cldflyer
Call the hotel and find out the manager's name and fax number. Then write your story and send him or her a fax.

It is a very nice hotel.

Pete
Didn't work for us...kept in our reserved Garden Wing room even with status. The Garden Wing rooms have been updated somewhat, but still pale in comparison to the Ocean side rooms with superior fit/finish, furniture and even flat screen TVs.

OTOH, we spend very little time in the room while in Hawai'i, so it was nothing to get upset over, especially given our corporate rate.

I always advise people check for Stay Certificate availability at the Grand Hyatt, where the cost is often in line with the Sheraton and the accommodations and environment are far superior.
Old Apr 25, 2007, 4:15 pm

Originally Posted by bocastephen
Didn't work for us...kept in our reserved Garden Wing room even with status. The Garden Wing rooms have been updated somewhat, but still pale in comparison to the Ocean side rooms with superior fit/finish, furniture and even flat screen TVs.

OTOH, we spend very little time in the room while in Hawai'i, so it was nothing to get upset over, especially given our corporate rate.

I always advise people check for Stay Certificate availability at the Grand Hyatt, where the cost is often in line with the Sheraton and the accommodations and environment are far superior.
What is a Stay Certificate (I'm not a Hyatt elite member)? Also, while I agree that the Hyatt is a nicer overall hotel in many ways, it doesn't have its own beach whereas the SKR has a great beach steps from your beachfront room. It just depends on what your priorities are for your stay. The Hyatt has a nice pool and spa and the ambience is higher end than the SKR.

Last edited by clover; Apr 25, 2007 at 4:24 pm
Old Apr 25, 2007, 4:28 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
What is a Stay Certificate (I'm not a Hyatt elite member)? Also, while I agree that the Hyatt is a nicer overall hotel in many ways, it doesn't have its own beach whereas the SKR has a great beach steps from your beachfront room. It just depends on what your priorities are for your stay. The Hyatt has a nice pool and spa and the ambience is higher end than the SKR.
Stay Certificates are available to anyone, and are fixed-cost vouchers you buy from Hyatt to exchange for accommodations at the hotel. They are subject to capacity controls, so book the reservation over the phone first (the agent must book a stay certificate reservation, not a revenue one), and then you can purchase the certificates after the reservation is guaranteed.
Old Apr 25, 2007, 5:14 pm

Programs: HHonors Diamond; UA Golod; SPG; Hyatt Diamond; AA PLAT; MR gold
I stayed at the Grand Hyatt in Nov '05 and the Sheraton in Mar '06. Would strongly recommend the GH over the Sheraton because the campus, facilities, etc. are far superior.
Old Apr 25, 2007, 9:57 pm

Programs: AA Plat, SPG Plat, Hyatt Diamond, IC Amb
An elite stay certificate (up to 4 nts) allows one to redeem at top-tier Hyatts for $249/nt. But no stay credit for status.

What do you mean the Hyatt has no beach?
It has an absolutely large, picturesque beach (Shipwreck) with the lithified cliffs nearby, it's just not calm or swimmable for the average visitor. But for sunbathing and walking, it's fine. And you don't get as much visitors as the highly-touristed Poipu Beach.

I'm a *W Plat, but I make it a point to stay several nts at the Grand Hyatt when visiting Kauai. I'll be staying at the Princeville in Sep 07, and I'm hoping it'll be as enjoyable as the GHK.
Old Apr 26, 2007, 10:47 am
DH

Originally Posted by W2B Globetrotter
An elite stay certificate (up to 4 nts) allows one to redeem at top-tier Hyatts for $249/nt. But no stay credit for status.

What do you mean the Hyatt has no beach?
It has an absolutely large, picturesque beach (Shipwreck) with the lithified cliffs nearby, it's just not calm or swimmable for the average visitor. But for sunbathing and walking, it's fine. And you don't get as much visitors as the highly-touristed Poipu Beach.

I'm a *W Plat, but I make it a point to stay several nts at the Grand Hyatt when visiting Kauai. I'll be staying at the Princeville in Sep 07, and I'm hoping it'll be as enjoyable as the GHK.
For the certificate link -
https://www.certificates.hyatt.com/p...CertsStay.aspx

Here are a couple of threads on the stay certificate -
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/showt...ay+Certificate
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/showt...ay+Certificate

W2B Globetrotter,

You may be disappointed with Princeville Resort depending on what your preferences are. Its swimming pools and campus doesn't come close to Hyatt.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.