Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Le Méridien Beach Plaza, Monte Carlo, Monaco [Master Thread]

Le Méridien Beach Plaza, Monte Carlo, Monaco [Master Thread]

Old Sep 11, 2006, 12:02 pm
formerly known as daveland
Original Poster

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LTP, Delta Platinum, Hilton Honors Diamond, Wyndham Diamond
Arrow Le Méridien Beach Plaza, Monte Carlo, Monaco [Master Thread]

Found what I believe to be a pretty amazing use of points in Monaco - 18,750 (high season, 14,500 low season) for a Jr Suite.

JUNIOR SUITE, FULL SEA VIEW, BUFFET BREAKFAST, HIGH SPEED INTERNET CONNECTION, FREE ACCESS TO HEALTH CLUB, 55 SQM WITH LIVING AREA, BALCONY. OFFERING HOSTESS AND VALET SERVICE. CAR PARKING, DAILY NEWSPAPER AND APERITIF INCLUDED

SPG shows the rate (even discounted) at around 1,000 Euros so about 6.5 c/pt in high seaon. What should I expect from a "hosted and valet service"? Just wondering if anyone has redeemed (or paid?!) for this room type there. The property as a whole looks amazing...
Old Apr 6, 2007, 2:40 am
iwc

Just bumping up to get any updates on Platinum UG's, treatment, stay report etc. for LM Beach Plaza, Monte Carlo.

Thanks.

Old Apr 6, 2007, 9:13 am
formerly known as daveland
Original Poster

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LTP, Delta Platinum, Hilton Honors Diamond, Wyndham Diamond
I have trip reports on my blog if you haven't already seen them:

Le Meridien Nice review and Le Meridien Beach Plaza - Monaco review

Only thing not in there is that the valet broke my luggage at the Monaco property, took an hour to do a "claim form" which was then never heard from again. Aside from that, excellent stay and the treatment was excellent (note that I'm only Gold). Did not get any noticable upgrade that I recall (maybe a small one) at the Nice property but did get a welcome note and chocolate covered strawberries with some Evian water.
Old Feb 23, 2008, 6:53 pm

Programs: Amex Centurion, UA 1K, *wood Plat
Update on Le Méridien in Monaco

It's offseason, with temps down and empty rooms, so your mileage may vary during warmer times, but here is my take on the Le Méridiien in Monaco.

First of all, the previous poster is correct. It all depends on who is at the desk when you check in. When I checked in they told me, frankly, that they were new to the Starwood program and not sure of what the benefits were for Plats

I was upgraded to one of the nicest rooms in the hotel, with beautiful windows overlooking the ocean, up on a high floor. No problem there, but at this point the benefits stopped.

For some reason the front desk put me into a room but didn't enter it into the computer correctly and my room showed up as empty for several hours. My luggage took a long time to come up, but I heard the bellman unloading my racing bicycle box into the room next door (large knocking noises). I convinced him that I was not in that room but had been given the key to this room. In the following hour, both another bellman with someone else's luggage, opened the door without knocking and also a chambermaid walked in while I was in the shower. She was surprised, and I said something about "shrinkage" that didn't make the translation from English to French and I don't think she had ever seen the Seinfeld episode, so my attempt to make an akward moment into something that was humorous ended up as only an akward event at both the physical and linguistcal levels. I contacted the front desk, to let them know that two hotel staff had entered my room without knocking and they sent up an apology bottle of wine. OK, I'll gladly take a bottle of wine, since ordering through room service in expensive Monaco would be more than 26 Euros.

The hotel staff are friendly and generally benign. I've had a special rapport with the bellmen and car parkers, since I was there to cycle up the big climbs in the Alpes Maritimes. They all had recommendations for great cols to climb and routes for great rides up through the mountains rising from the coast. But beyond the car parkers and bellmen, the staff was pretty clueless, particularly about the benefits of Platinum Preferred Guests.

There is no lounge for Starwood guests. When I asked, in lieu of a lounge, if there was a place where SPG Plats could go for drinks in the evening, I was met with blank stares.

There is no special place for breakfast for SPG Platinum. When I asked if breakfast in the downstairs breakfast area was complimentary, I also got nothing.

Yesterday, after being here for four days, I asked one of the fellows at the front desk if he actually knew what the SPG Platinum benefits were, he had no idea. However, he promised to find out and get them printed out and delivered to my room by the end of the day. Nothing ever showed up.

Today, I told the front desk that I would be leaving the hotel tomorrow at 1500 and was informed that they had to check with the Manager. I said that I thought that this was a benefit of being SPG Platinum, but they said that they would call back after they got the OK from the Manager. An hour later and no call. Two hours later, a note appeared under my door that my request had been "approved." Sounded less like a benefit and more like a favor granted.

Quite frankly, the management here could do a better job of informing the staff as to the benefits for SPG Plats. Rather than risk being charged 30 Euros for the breakfast buffet, I have ridden up the hill to the local shopping area, where you can get a croissant for less than a Euro.

It is Monaco. Parking in the hotel is 34 Euro per day. Internet is something like 20 Euros for 24 hours. Mini-bar beer is 13 Euro (gasp!!) and the room service cheeseburger is 23 Euro. However, costs for goods is inversely proportional to your distance from downtown, so actually renting a car has been a huge cost saver for me, despite the parking charge. Just being able to drive to Menton (nearby town) to shop or to head for somewhere like Les Contes to dine at Chez Maximes with REAL FOOD at reasonable prices, compensates.

After being Royal Ambassador level in the IC program for many years, I left for SPG because of the inconstantcy of upgrades and benefits at the IC locations. Several years ago, you could almost always count on the SPG locations to keep to a set of standards for PPGs. Has the Starwood expansion overun their ability to keep to a set of consistent benefits, so those of us who have committed to chain loyalty with SPG, can count on something without having to bargain or cajole for it on check in?

I'm an easy PPG. All I want is the upgrade to the best room available, my 500 points in lieu of a gift, a place I can go to have a drink in the evening if I am in the hotel and a free breakfast, in the lounge or downstairs in the general breakfast area. Here in Monaco, I got the nice room with a spectacular view of the Med and my 500 points.. but not much more.
Old Feb 24, 2008, 3:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci, BAEC LT Gold, HH Dia, MR LT Plat, IHG Diamond Amb, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by Kimo
I'm an easy PPG. All I want is the upgrade to the best room available, my 500 points in lieu of a gift, a place I can go to have a drink in the evening if I am in the hotel and a free breakfast, in the lounge or downstairs in the general breakfast area. Here in Monaco, I got the nice room with a spectacular view of the Med and my 500 points.. but not much more.
Many properties do not feature lounges or alternate free drink venues and that is just life SPG do not promise "lounge benefits" irrespectice of whether or not a lounge exists, this is similar to other programmes and no big deal for me. Also provision of breakfast is not a SPG Plat benefit, even Hilton which have this benefit try to find ways to wriggle out of it IME.
Old Feb 24, 2008, 7:20 am
iwc

I was at this property about a year ago. Had a wonderful stay. As Platinum was UGed to Club Type floor. Renovated room, great view of the med. While they did not have a Lounge they did bring an apertif to the room prior to dinner. Overall great stay and since I got my 500 Platinum Amenity Points, expected no more.
Old Mar 5, 2009, 7:29 am

Programs: M&M SEN, BA GGL, Bonvoy LTT, WoH Explorist
le Meridien Beach Plaza Monte Carlo

Just a quick one...I can't seem to find a thread on this hotel ? Maybe I am getting old ? Thankful for hints, as we have an upcoming stay towards the end of the month...

Last edited by SanDiego1K; Mar 5, 2009 at 4:22 pm Reason: Voila, a newly created master thread
Old Mar 10, 2009, 2:55 am

We have an upcoming (award LEMFN) stay end of March. I contacted the front office manager via email, since we are traveling with 2 small children, whether a family room would be available. He confirmed an upgrade right away, to an Exec room with 2 dbls. He handled the entire communication in a very professional and friendly way, and offered any other assistance we might need. Much appreciated to receive such service even for an award stay.^

Will report after our stay how things went.
Old Mar 11, 2009, 10:14 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
How is the price elasticity at this resort? We're looking at spending a night there in November, and I wonder if the rates we're seeing now will stay where they are or go down?
Old Apr 1, 2009, 7:43 am

Here is our report.

I concur with most of what was said by Kimo above. We spent 4 nights redeeming LEMFN, family of 4 (2 small children). Big thumbs up for the hotel for accepting us 4 in one room (2 dbls) which unfortunately in Europe is still the exception.

The hotel is in the beach area of town, so a 15-20 min walk to most points of interest. The number 6 bus in front of the hotel gets you everywhere you need to go, is clean, efficient, frequent, and cheap (10 rides for 6 EUR). You do not need a car, you can discover the coast by bus and train comfortably (but easier so on the French side, Italian trains are pretty nasty). The hotel is beachfront, we had a sea-front room, with beautiful sea sounds at night. There is a decent beach (somewere between sand and small stones).

Slight disappointment with our room, we were pre-confirmed for upgrade to Exec-level (10th floor), and when checking the website we expected one of the 'New LEM style' type of rooms, but received a classic one instead. The modern ones are referred to as 'Premium' rooms in the cristal towers. However, we had a nice balcony, whereas most of the Premium rooms have none. So with few exceptions, you can either have a modern room, or a balcony. There are only 4 suites in the modern part, most of the Junior suites are classic style. All suites have a king bed only. Our room was classic, average size, small but functional bath room with Cinque Mondes amenities.

Staff overall very friendly and competent. The seem to cater to a lot of conference groups, they kept the hotel busy.

Outdoor pools were closed, and so was the beach (Ok at this time of year, but still we would have appreciated a note on their website). Fitness center is average, saunas within the changing rooms, small. Indoor pool not bad, unfortunately during our visit there was some problem with the temperature control and the water was pretty cold (too bad as the weather wasn't great).

You do not expect Monte Carlo to be cheap, and the hotel certainly does not disappoint to that effect. yes, the Corona from the mini bar is 13 EUR, and the cheeseburger is now at 27, plus 6 delivery charge. Have your suit dry-cleaned for 26.

We went for breakfast buffet on day one. OK selection, but not great. Some items you may expect but not there: Parma (or any other raw) ham, smoked salmon or any other fish, actimel or yacult. The scrambled eggs looked like a soup, so I asked for freshly made eggs, and they said those would be charged extra. At 33 EUR base fee for the buffet, my appetite vanished. We did not try the restaurant again, as there are plenty of food options nearby (there was excellent pizza at the Spiaggia beach cafe next door).

For whatever reason we were not charged for the breakfast upon checkout, even when telling them that we did have it. I am not sure whether this was a mistake on their end, or a Plat benefit. There was a huge group checking in at the same time, so the agent simply did not bother.

Overall, a pleasant stay in a decent hotel, with only minor hickups. Would have loved to stay in a more fancy room/suite, but none of those comes with 2 double beds.
Old May 2, 2009, 11:41 am
Suspended

Programs: Intercontinental RA/BA/BMI/Virgin
worth noting that this is the only hotel actually within monaco with a beach. It is a great hotel (i would say 5* but not 5* lux). when compared with the marriott monaco which i would rate as a 3*, this is a great option
Old Jul 20, 2009, 11:59 am

Programs: DL DM, UA, IC Royal Amb, HH Diamond, SPG Plat, Avis First
Anyone know if they allow "deshabille" on the private beach? My wife and I will be there next week and she's thinking of trying it, but not if it gets us kicked out of the hotel.
Old Jul 27, 2009, 4:55 am

Programs: DL DM, UA, IC Royal Amb, HH Diamond, SPG Plat, Avis First
Well, we just returned from the Le Meridien in Monaco and I can answer my own question. They apparently do allow topless bathing, but we didn't see anyone doing it any my wife didn't feel comfortable being the only one.
Old Jul 27, 2009, 2:15 pm

Programs: Marriott + Hilton. Fly BA and AZ
Originally Posted by bananacake
worth noting that this is the only hotel actually within monaco with a beach. It is a great hotel (i would say 5* but not 5* lux). when compared with the marriott monaco which i would rate as a 3*, this is a great option
Agree.. Lacks a "personal" touch though - not very "meridien feel"
Beach excellent - so is breaky. During summer evening / night drinks outside are a must
Extras at 5 star rate. Drinks, parking etc etc all very expensive

20 KM away there is the MERIDIEN NICE. Not quite as nice as a hotel but excellent location and balcony rooms (sea view) are lovely^
Old Jul 28, 2009, 5:23 am

Programs: UA MM/1P, EK Au, QR, TK, Marriott Life Ti, Hilton Dia, IC Dia, Hyatt Glob, Accor Pt, Shangri-La
I just stayed here and had a good experience, not great. I booked the lowest-category room on points and got upgraded (as SPG Platinum) to a "sea view" room. It was not bad -- it was at the corner of the property, and had large windows on two sides overlooking the beach -- although I would have preferred a room with a terrace.

I found the concierge service helpful, but the front desk very slow, unfriendly, and with a poor attitude. Prices are high -- EUR 46 for valet parking -- but I'd expect that, and actually lunch at the sea-side restaurant was moderate (entrees in the EUR 20s) and very good. There's also a great bar at the beach with not-horrible prices (EUR 16 if I remember correctly) for drinks.

The strangest thing was that my room didn't have a shower. It had a bathtub with a hose, but one would have to sit down on the ledge of the tub, or on sort of a seat carved out on the side, to use it. I don't know if they were missing a shower curtain or what, but it was a slight inconvenience. Other than that I enjoyed the room design.

The biggest problem was that they had no record of my reservation. I made it about a week in advance on the SPG web site using points. The night before I arrived, I asked the concierge at the LeM at which I was staying in Paris to call and ask them to add the name of my travel companion to the reservation in case she arrived before me, which was lucky, because the hotel said that they no record of it. About half an hour later and after a call by me to SPG, the SPG desk agreed to fax a copy of the reservation to the hotel in Monaco and the hotel agreed to enter it in the system.

Not surprisingly, when I arrived at the hotel the next day, I had to go through this process again. They had no record of the call the previous night nor the fax nor did they see anything in their system. The front-desk agent said that she would call SPG but, no problem, they had rooms available. So, besides another wasted half-hour, it was not that big of a deal, but would have been if they had no rooms. The front desk agents didn't seem particularly apologetic or in a hurry to finish, either.

They attributed the issue to a glitch in communication between systems; who knows what the real issue was, and whether it was the fault of the hotel or SPG. But I hope that I don't have to re-confirm, and then re-re-confirm, every award booking that I make in the future. . .

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.