Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Le Méridien Beach Plaza, Monte Carlo, Monaco [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Le Méridien Beach Plaza, Monte Carlo, Monaco [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Aug 10, 2009, 8:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Marriott Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by daveland
I have trip reports on my blog if you haven't already seen them:

Le Meridien Nice review and Le Meridien Beach Plaza - Monaco review

Only thing not in there is that the valet broke my luggage at the Monaco property, took an hour to do a "claim form" which was then never heard from again. Aside from that, excellent stay and the treatment was excellent (note that I'm only Gold). Did not get any noticable upgrade that I recall (maybe a small one) at the Nice property but did get a welcome note and chocolate covered strawberries with some Evian water.
They are now asking 40K points for the Junior Suite, which you had for 14,750 a few years ago...
Old Aug 11, 2009, 2:10 pm

Programs: Marriott + Hilton. Fly BA and AZ
Originally Posted by mecabq
The biggest problem was that they had no record of my reservation. I made it about a week in advance on the SPG web site using points. The night before I arrived, I asked the concierge at the LeM at which I was staying in Paris to call and ask them to add the name of my travel companion to the reservation in case she arrived before me, which was lucky, because the hotel said that they no record of it. About half an hour later and after a call by me to SPG, the SPG desk agreed to fax a copy of the reservation to the hotel in Monaco and the hotel agreed to enter it in the system.

Not surprisingly, when I arrived at the hotel the next day, I had to go through this process again. They had no record of the call the previous night nor the fax nor did they see anything in their system. The front-desk agent said that she would call SPG but, no problem, they had rooms available. So, besides another wasted half-hour, it was not that big of a deal, but would have been if they had no rooms. The front desk agents didn't seem particularly apologetic or in a hurry to finish, either.

They attributed the issue to a glitch in communication between systems; who knows what the real issue was, and whether it was the fault of the hotel or SPG. But I hope that I don't have to re-confirm, and then re-re-confirm, every award booking that I make in the future. . .
Wow - that happened to me too. The SPG programme is not their priority
Old Aug 19, 2009, 12:15 pm

Programs: AA Concierge Key, AA Lifetime Plat, SPG Ambassador, Hyatt Diamond, Marriott Platinum, United Plat
I'm staying at this property this weekend using 2 of my SPG free nights. Not expecting much in terms of the room since I'm only gold now and on the free night.

I've read some stuff on the property/city and it sounds like quite a pricey place. A few reviews in French on expedia mention a cheaper car park nearby - anyone here on FT experience that? Where is the location?

Also, if anyone has recos for more reasonable places to eat that would be great as well!

Finally - is the private beach area very crowded in peak summer? I saw the live "webcam" from the hotel's website and it was pointed at neighboring beach and it was chock-a-block full with people and beach chairs.
Old Aug 19, 2009, 12:27 pm

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, AA Plat
I would appreciate this info as well - am scheduled to stay there the end of August on a FWN award. One of the tripadvisor reviews mentions an NCP parking lot as being 30 EUR cheaper per day, but not much info re: the location.

Originally Posted by uncguy85

I've read some stuff on the property/city and it sounds like quite a pricey place. A few reviews in French on expedia mention a cheaper car park nearby - anyone here on FT experience that? Where is the location?

Also, if anyone has recos for more reasonable places to eat that would be great as well!.
Old Aug 19, 2009, 1:54 pm

Parking

This somehow didnt come up earlier in a google search - in any case, one of the posters at Tripadvisor mentions a couple of public parking lots nearby (no info on rates, though).

http://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic...nte_Carlo.html
Old Aug 19, 2009, 2:43 pm
formerly known as daveland
Original Poster

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LTP, Delta Platinum, Hilton Honors Diamond, Wyndham Diamond
Originally Posted by Guava
They are now asking 40K points for the Junior Suite, which you had for 14,750 a few years ago...
Wow! I don't think it should be that much - I don't think I've ever done an upgraded room in a Cat 6, but the hotel is 20,000-25,000 points a night. Double points would be a FULL suite. The only thing I can think of is that either a) They no longer offer the Specialty Select upgrade to Jr Suite (2nd level select upgrade, not the full suite), or they reclassified the Jr Suite as a full suite when it comes to points. With the valet and breakfast included in the Jr Suite, it was like 80 Euro a day in givebacks not even counting the room type.

I have no idea - maybe someone else who has booked or a lurker can shed light - but I'm sure glad I spent a few nights there when I did. I must say, this bump got me to look back at my review and pictures and it was a really nice memory.
Old Aug 26, 2009, 1:23 pm

Programs: Life SPG Plat, 7X NH DIA
Hi:

So sad. I had just typed a long report in response and closed the browser window by mistake.

Things worked out for us, but Europe is very expensive.

Design/decorating flaws and buckling, squishy wooden floors in LM Beach Plaza bathroom resulted in a lower room but comp breakfast for our stay which pleased me. I didn't want to stress over $100 breakfast for 2 each morning. Show me 2 people that can eat $100 worth of eggs, bacon, bread, mortadella, crepes and Nutella. Gilles (the manager) made my stay with this comp.

We were in premier ocean award room. I booked this in advance because I wanted to assure myself of a nice room for the stay coinciding with the Tour de France Grand Depart. Curved mirrored windows. Nicest view in the hotel as we were facing the harbor more than the the adjacent Sporting Club.

The hotel was overbooked for the Tour de France and while we could have changed rooms midway through the stay, ocean view suites, jr. suites, and rooftops were 100% occupied upon arrival. We didn't want to move after we unpacked and asked if they could comp the buffet for the bathroom floor inconvenience.

Our nicest meal was at an open air "new" restaurant just up the promenade from the LM. Food was delicious....Avenue 31!
Cafe de Paris-As expected
Quai de Artists-Taste was just OK, service not so, seemed like a tourist trap.
Sass Cafe-I think this is the Cafe/Piano Bar we went to the night we arrived. Nice welcome to Monaco/Europe. Sidewalk cafe dinner.
La Spiaggia (beach cafe adjacent to LM)-I wasn't feeling well that night. My companion enjoyed the pizza and pasta.
Le Venezia American Bar-Nothing Special. Pizza, Pasta & Beer.

The beach at the LM was my favorite spot but the beers were $16, Cocktails $21, but it was hot and breakfast was comped

Spent a day in San Remo. Went to the market. Seemed not so different than night markets in BKK and HKG. Spent a day in Nice. Not so nice. I preferred the clean sparkle of Monte-Carlo. Glad I didn't split my stay at the LM Nice.

If you need an urgent response, PM me.

Cheers,

Scho

Last edited by schoflyer; Aug 26, 2009 at 1:30 pm
Old Sep 1, 2009, 12:06 pm

Programs: UA GS, AS MVP 100K, DL Diamond, Marriot Lifetime Titanium, AmEx Centurion
Quick recent review. Stayed two nights this weekend using free weekends earned earlier this summer.

Check-in: Was told I had a "large, renovated room....but maybe I want to choose the higher floor room instead?" Took the renovated one, very modern, cool design, which was great. Went out to dinner, came back late to discover....the room had no shower only a bathtub.

The "manager" informed me that "many people do not like showers" and "this is the only type of room in your category we have." Despite trying to convince her that platinums are entitled to "best available" she insisted this was all she had. Only when asked to call the GM at home did she relent and give me originally promised option. 10th floor room, king bed, nice balcony, but the same squishy wood floors and leaking shower that were mentioned by a previous poster.

Further discussion the next morning with a new manager resulted only in a "I am sorry you are not happy with our hotel."

I repeatedly got the feeling at this property (after watching numerous folks splash out multiple 200 and 500 euro notes at the front desk) that unless they'd seen evidence of a willingness to drop serious cash, they weren't really interested in you. Those on free nights? Especially unwelcome.

No platinum amenity in the room beyond the 500 points.

That said, it's a great location, and was a great stay for free. Just don't expect to be "treated" like a platinum.
Old Sep 1, 2009, 3:15 pm

Originally Posted by ironmanjt
Just don't expect to be "treated" like a platinum.
That sums up LM monaco - totally agree.

Would make two points though
- don't take the 500 pts, take the wine (rosé). Well worth it
- some times, more like rarely you might get a roof top suite. There you have two bathrooms, two double beds - two of everything and the only ONE shower is less of a problem

Will be back soon - will post an up to date report
Old Sep 1, 2009, 3:24 pm

The closest hotel in Europe to the meridien monaco is S PARK TOWER - LONDON

they really are similar

- both cat 6 hotels (overrated)
- both have to little care of SPG members
- both have AMAZING locations
- both need to be polished up

Go there thinking you are going to a 5 star hotel - you'll be disappointed
Go there for location / views etc etc you'll have a good stay

Best way to sum up LM Monaco
Old Sep 1, 2009, 3:55 pm

Programs: IHG Diamond Amb, Bonvoy Plat (+LTP), VS Silver
Have to say I agree with comments above. I stayed there on a free night a couple of weeks ago, and (as a basic preferred guest) received a fairly small room facing the back of the hotel (expected) - although I was expecting the furnishings to be modern like the lobby, which was not the case.

Still, if you forget the room (perfectly acceptable but nothing special) and the rather expensive drinks, food, etc; the location of the hotel was superb, and I can see myself returning if good rates appear.
Old Sep 2, 2009, 8:11 am

Programs: BA,LH,CX,EK SPG,IC mainly and a few others
Thumbs down

Originally Posted by terminalfive
The closest hotel in Europe to the meridien monaco is S PARK TOWER - LONDON

they really are similar

- both cat 6 hotels (overrated)
- both have to little care of SPG members
- both have AMAZING locations
- both need to be polished up

Go there thinking you are going to a 5 star hotel - you'll be disappointed
Go there for location / views etc etc you'll have a good stay

Best way to sum up LM Monaco
Can't agree more- both these properties are overrated and awful in terms of Plat benefits
Old Sep 2, 2009, 10:39 am

Location: London (UK), Kolkata (India), and a part of the Netherlands you wouldn't like to visit (aka Purmerend)!
Programs: IC Royal Ambassador
Originally Posted by LonLH
Can't agree more- both these properties are overrated and awful in terms of Plat benefits
+1
Old Sep 2, 2009, 10:49 am

Recent Trip Report

Stayed here as part of a FWN award this previous weekend. As Gold, they upgraded me to a Ocean view Tower room which had stupendous views - check-in staff was quite courteous and the upgrade was much appreciated. However, the room and the furnishings were quite tired and severely lacking polish. The AirConditioner was a joke, and so was the fan which was awfully loud (a call to service didnt have it fixed).

Parking was steep but expected - the location of the hotel is great, and we spent great afternoons lounging on the beach. The drinks on the beach are also steep - 16 Euro for a screwdriver served in cheap plastic glasses!

Would definitely agree with previous posts - hotel has a lot going for it in terms of location, but not much else. Hard to see myself ever spending the night here on my own dime.
Old Jul 19, 2010, 11:05 pm

Programs: AmEx Centurion, SPG Platinum; LH Senator; Sixt Platinum; HHonors Gold
A friend of mine is staying there at the moment as a Platinum. Instead of Best Available Room, his reservation was changed from 1 King to 2 Single and hotel mentioned to him that he altered his reservation print out. On his complaint to duty manager he was told that he should be happy with his new room, since some people pay more, but get less. The most surpsrising story for him was that this is his 4th stay in 4 years and each year he spends 3 weeks with his family there.

So, it's a funny place as I see it.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.