Wiki Posts
Search
Old May 3, 2014, 9:34 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: KENNECTED
POSTING FORMAT

Hotel: Full Hotel Name
SPG Lifetime Gold - YES OR NO
Paid Stay OR BRG Stay OR Award Stay - (# nights)
Date: Month Year
Booked: Room Type
Upgraded to: Room Type (# category upgrade)
When Upgraded: Before check-in OR Upon check-in

Take it to the next level as a Gold member and enjoy all the benefits of Preferred membership, plus:

Earn three Starpoints® for every U.S. dollar spent on eligible stays — a 50% bonus over Preferred.

4p.m. late checkout, subject to availability at resort and conference center hotels.

An upgrade to an enhanced room at check-in — corner room, higher floor, or better view.

Your choice of welcome gift upon arrival - choose from bonus Starpoints, complimentary premium in-room internet or a beverage on us.
Complimentary in-room, premium Internet access when you book on SPG digital channels. This is in addition to your welcome gift.

Register to earn one Starpoint per dollar spent with Delta Crossover Rewards™ on eligible Delta flights.

New! Your World Rewards ™ with SPG and Emirates Skywards®: Register to earn one Starpoint per dollar on eligible Emirates® flights.

Earn one Starpoint for every US$2 in eligible revenue2 when you book a group for any occasion, business or pleasure. From weddings to meetings to family reunions.
Go Gold — for life. Achieve 250 eligible nights total and five years of elite status, and you’ll earn SPG® Lifetime™ Gold status.

Register and earn with Uber®. Earn 1 Starpoint per U.S. dollar spent with Uber every day, and 3 Starpoints per U.S. dollar spent with Uber during your stays with SPG.
Print Wikipost

Report Your Gold Upgrade Successes

Search this Thread

Old Aug 14, 2007, 6:31 am

Programs: HHonors, Delta
Recent stays:

Sheraton Overland Park (KS) -- upgraded to club floor

Sheraton Westport St. Louis--upgraded to club floor

Sheraton County Club Plaza (KS) -- no upgrade even to SPG floor

Sheraton Heathrow -- already on club floor but given "preferred" room
Old Aug 14, 2007, 6:38 am

Programs: UA Silv, SPG Gold, Marriott Gold,
Westin Calgary - Have been upgraded to the Business Tower and Conner Suites every time I've stayed there, I prefer the tower as it has free internet and a better TV.

4-Points Canmore - Was upgraded to a loft whirlpool suite, which was great after a day of skiing (my nomination for the best 4points)

4-Points Greensburgh PA, - Was upgraded to a room that didn't suck (as hard), way better then the last time when I was sent to a room with no bed in it... (my nomination for worst 4points)

Sheraton Cav. Calgary - Upgraded to larger room

4 points Calgary west - upgraded to suite

Westin Edmonton / 4 points Edmonton / 4-points Chelsea NYC / Sheraton Time Square /W-Chicago - no upgrade no perks for gold other then late checkout

Upcoming stays: Pittsburgh airport / Sheraton Seattle - will update end of the month.

edit: added a couple to the non upgrade list

Last edited by dark169; Aug 14, 2007 at 9:40 am
Old Aug 14, 2007, 6:40 am
Moderator: Asiana & Qantas Frequent Flyer
Aman Contributor Badge

Programs: QF Lifetime SG, LH HON, OZ Lifetime Diamond +, HH Diamond, Marriott Lifetime Platinum
Some examples from the past:

- Le Meridien Isle des Pines (New Caledonia)
Upgraded from Standard Room to Bungalow (Suite).

- Le Royal Meridien Kind Edward Toronto
Upgraded to huge corner Room at 2 of 3 stays.

- W New York
Upgraded from a bad room to a little less bad room. Offered upgrade to suite but declined.

- W The Tuscany NY
Upgraded to a corner room

- Westin Harbour Castle
Upgraded to a better room in 7 out of 10 cases and to a 2 BR suite in 1 out of 10 cases

- Sheraton Toronto
What is an upgrade?

- ArabellaSheraton Congress Hotel Frankfurt
Nothing

- W Seoul
Upgraded one room class to a river view corner room with a huge round bed.

- Westin Seoul
Sometimes upgraded to executive floor. But I practically lived in the hotel for a while.

- Sheraton Skyline Heathrow
Upgraded to club floor in 1 out of 5 stays

- Sheraton Heathrow
Nothing

- 4Points YYZ
No idea whether this was an upgraded room
Old Aug 14, 2007, 7:59 am

Programs: Virtuoso Travel Advisor. FSPP, Ritz STARS, Rosewood Elite, Belmond BelliniClub. SPG PRO
Sheraton Stamford CT. 2 Stays. One to second floor in SPG room with view of rock roof. BFD. Second stay declined upgrade because it was to a smoking room and well it took more than an hour and a lot of effort just to decline it. I'll probably never stay in this hotel again so there you have it.

Sheraton Parsippany. Upgraded to larger corner room (jr suite?) 557 or something. Had two beds which was not my pref but not a big deal and well the hotel never heard it wasnt what i wanted because i wasnt about to complain. Great stay and recommended if you can get a good rate.

4P Norwalk. Upgraded to the 410 suite. This is the one with no window in the bedroom. The furniture is dated a bit but I highly recommend the place for the treatment I was given.

All 4 stays above were the very lowest rate I could get. 89, 89, 85, 75aaa.
Old Aug 14, 2007, 10:47 am

Programs: UA 1K Million Miler, Marriott Ambassador (lifetime Platinum), Avis Presidents Club
Originally Posted by RAPC
It appears that FTers enquiring about likely upgrades with Gold SPG status is a regular event. As a way of potentially putting everything together as with the Platinum successes thread, I thought it might be worth pulling together a similar list for Gold status stays to help give others an overview of the likely (or unlikely!) upgrade chances. Feel free to add experiences below.
Perhaps the titled could have been changed, but this thread already exists:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=699836
Old Aug 14, 2007, 10:57 am

Programs: UA 1K & 1MM/AA Gold & 1MM/HH Gold/Marriott Titanium
Westin Philadelphia - room on top floor (SPG floor)

Sheraton Harrisburg - no upgrade but asked for and was given club access

Sheraton Music City (Nashville) - huge 1-bedroom suite

Sheraton LaGuardia East - upgrade to club level

Sheraton Oklahoma City - once upgraded to club level but always given "preferred" room
Old Aug 14, 2007, 12:04 pm

Programs: A few
W Hotel Silicon Valley - Upgraded from Cool Corner Accessible to Cool Corner Upper Floor

Le Meridien Nice - Upgraded from Classic Room w/ City View to Deluxe Room w/ Sea View

Hotel Eden (Rome) - Upgraded from Superior Room to Studio Room

Le Meridien Rimini - Upgraded from Classic Room w/ City View to Sea View w/ Balcony

Park Lane Hotel (London) - Upgraded from Classic Room to Executive Room (on a Priceline stay even)

Not much, but at least something.

Cheers,

Adrian
Old Aug 14, 2007, 12:32 pm

Programs: AA Ex-Plat, Bonvoy Titanium
Last 8 months

Le Meridien Bristol Warsaw - From standard room to a 1 bedroom suite.

Seattle Westin 1st time - nothing

Seattle Westin 2nd time - Sound view, high floor, very nice

Seattle Sheraton - no upgrade and a room near the elevator which I always request not to be near.

Sheraton 4 points Chelsea - no upgrade and the service was basically rude and useless. Almost wanted to make me stop staying at starwoods.

Sheraton Crescent MetroCenter Phoenix - no upgrade, horrible room. No hot water and the sink had dirt in it.
The next night my wife arrived (also gold) and checked in to her room. They had given her a fruit and cheese plate as a welcome.

Sheraton Princess K Honolulu - upgraded to partial Ocean view on a high floor

Sheraton Keauhou Bay Resort & Spa - no upgrade but a particularly nice partial ocean view. Our room was ready at 11:00 am while everyone around us was being told their room wasn't ready.^

Four Points by Sheraton Montreal Centre-Ville - Booked a suite but didn't get a good one.

Sheraton Parsippany Hotel - no upgrade

Sheraton Manhattan at Times Square - what do you think.

Four Points by Sheraton San Rafael - no upgrade

Sheraton Sonoma County - Petaluma - upgraded to Marina view

I agree with dark169 - I got upgraded at the 4 pts Canmore on an award last year and got an amazing room. Super nice people work there.^

Rich
Old Aug 14, 2007, 1:42 pm

Programs: FPC Plat, SPG Gold, HH Diamond, PC Plt Amb
4 Pts Kingston Ontario

On an award stay, was upgraded to a 1-bedroom suite. Smallish, but hey, can't complain.
Old Aug 14, 2007, 7:55 pm

Programs: Bonvoy Titanium, HH Diamond, UA Gold, WN A-List, Hertz 5*
Most of my Gold experience has been as advertised - preferred within same category... but on occasion I've been really pleasantly surprised. I make a point of politely asking, "Does this property have any preferred rooms available to Starwood gold members?" I get a huge range of answers...

Westin Aruba - standard island view room -> deluxe ocean view room w/ welcome basket (this was an Award stay, gifted to my parents. I spoke to the property beforehand and let them know it was their wedding anniversary... they really went the extra mile)

Four Points Saginaw, MI - standard room -> very nice suite

Westin Princeton Forrestal Village - standard room -> Westin Workout room

Westin St Louis - standard room -> corner room (windows galore, stadium view)

Four Points Ann Arbor, MI - standard room -> club floor

Westin Chicago City Center - standard room -> higher floor & corner room (desk clerk said it was bigger than most)

Four Points Hyannis, MA - standard room -> "SPG room" whatever that means.

Four Points Houston Southwest - standard room -> gross room near the elevators with dirty bathroom and no working TV (but then again, they comped that one when I complained)
Old Aug 14, 2007, 9:38 pm

Programs: AF/KLM Plat For Life/UA Million Miler-PremEx For Life/SPG Gold
Sheraton- Jakarta/Bandara
Le Meridien- Bali
Old Aug 14, 2007, 10:36 pm

Here is my list of upgrades since becoming gold:

Westin Chosan Busan - from standard room to executive club floor no longe access.

Le Meridian Jakarta - After some persuassion from standard room to executive room.

Sheraton Media Jakarta - from standard roomTowers floor no lounge access

Sherarton Bandung - Once from standard to "preferred room" and once to Towers floor with lounge access.

Sheraton Surabaya - from standard room (award stay) to "preferred balcony room"

And the daddy of them all

Sheraton Media Jakarta - from standard room to Towers level suite on 3 seperate stays, twice with lounge access.

I always ask if there are any upgrades available when checking in and all of these stays were on weekends although the Westin was on a very major public holiday.
Old Oct 15, 2007, 7:03 am

Westin Providence standard room -> higher floor & corner room
Old Oct 15, 2007, 1:55 pm

Sheraton on the Falls - Niagara Falls

4 Pts. Mississauga Meadowvale

Sheraton Centre Toronto

Last edited by ziti 2; Oct 16, 2007 at 11:01 am Reason: addition
Old Oct 15, 2007, 2:00 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
OK, I'm not sure if these are true upgrades or if the Germans have a customer-friendly definition of "junior suite".

At both Westin Berlin and Arabella Sheraton, I booked 8500-point junior suites. In both cases, I got what I think any of us would describe as a true suite - physically separate living room and bedroom with a real door to the bedroom.

Both properties also offered a higher suite category for 14,000 points. I still don't know if I was put in that category because of my Gold status, or if those 14,000 point suites are just really huge suites. (Some have posted here about "themed" suites at Westin Berlin. I did not have an unusually-themed suite.) Both of my suites were quite large.

In either case, ^ to both hotels.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.