Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Sheraton Carlsbad Resort and Spa, CA [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Sheraton Carlsbad Resort and Spa, CA [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Jan 3, 2013, 5:19 am

Programs: amex gold, hhonors gold, spg gold :)
Originally Posted by CIT85
Plat continental breakfast benefit was worth $15 towards anything on the menu. I had smoked salmon Benedict both mornings with coffee and did not pay for the coffee overage. Very nice breakfast benefit.
I stayed for one night recently and did the breakfast buffet. The buffet does not include coffee or juice (not freshly squeezed either). I'm platinum at spg, hhonors and marriott and i don't think i've ever had breakfast buffet that didn't include coffee (granted sometimes i think fresh squeezed juice was extra).

also, applied for the suite night and despite me verifying before and after that a revenue suite was available, the request was turned down and upon check in, was told the suites were sold out. i pulled out my phone and verified on the spot that the suite was still available for booking. meh.

-hchon
Old Apr 25, 2013, 1:10 pm

Any recent stays here?

What can I expect as a SPG Gold if even Plats don't get much? Trying to decide between booking a better room or taking a chance on an upgrade.
Old May 2, 2013, 2:25 pm

Originally Posted by love2ft
Any recent stays here?

What can I expect as a SPG Gold if even Plats don't get much? Trying to decide between booking a better room or taking a chance on an upgrade.
I ended up booking a room at this property even though the kids wanted the Legoland Hotel and I preferred the new Hilton (Hilton Gold at least gets us breakfast). However, Mr. love2ft wanted to stay at the Sheraton so that's where we are staying, but I guess I'll go in not expecting much as SPG Gold.

Anyone with a recent stay?
Old May 3, 2013, 1:59 pm

I'm Platinum. The only time I was upgraded to a suite was when I used a suite night upgrade (4 different stays). I don't recall the suite being anything special though.
Old Jul 15, 2013, 7:22 pm

Programs: AA Executive Platinum, Hyatt Globalist, Aeroplan 75K
I stayed here this past weekend mainly for a visit to Legoland. Here are some of my notes for the resort:

- Standard rooms are very nice and spacious (can easily fit a family of 4 with rollerbed). I did not get upgraded to a suite (checking spg.com showed that the suites were sold out during the time of my stay). The lobby is very impressive with high ceilings with Link@Sheraton, a convenience store, and short hallway to the Twenty/20 restaurant.
- Platinums get $15/per day(up to 2) breakfast credit. Also, the resort fee is waived.
- 4pm late check is not guaranteed since it's a resort. I was able to get a 1:30pm checkout on Sunday.
- Parking is $12/day.
- Costco and Carlsbad Premium outlets located very close by. Good alternative for food at Costco ($1.50 hotdogs+drinks, or pizza).
- Legoland private entrance is a ~10 minute walk from the lobby through the outdoor parking lot. Free shuttle to Legoland front entrance if you request at the valet booth.
- Location (and private entrance) is great, and you can easily go back to the hotel to rest and come back during the day.
- You can get 2-for-1 Parkhopper coupons to Logoland on Ebay. (I've seen buy 1 adult get 1 child in free and buy 1 parkhopper day and get one free parkhopper day (even for adults)).

I had a very enjoyable stay and would recommend this hotel if you are going to Legoland.
Old Nov 27, 2013, 6:40 am

Programs: HHonors Diamond AA Platinum
Stay here a lot. For work I travel to Carlsbad about 10 times a year and this is located very close to the companies we work with. Always friendly, and the standard rooms are very nice.

The restaurant has a nice bar area and the convenient store even has decent food to pick up quickly.

As much as I despise resort fees, I believe this one was only about $15 and parking was another $15. So make sure unless it is being waived that you add another $30 or so to the cost of the room.
Old Nov 27, 2013, 7:53 am

Programs: CO-plat, SPG-plat
Originally Posted by TheTourVan
The restaurant has a nice bar area and the convenient store even has decent food to pick up quickly.
I would add that the hotel restaurant actually serves quite decent food for a hotel in the US. The service is unfortunately among the slowest that I have encountered. I find this especially frustrating when I want to quickly eat breakfast and leave!
Old Dec 6, 2013, 5:12 am

Heading back to this one next week. Last few stays have been quite good.
Old Dec 12, 2013, 12:05 pm

Just a quick update for anybody that will be staying here. Place is still nice and spacious, rooms are very clean with all the amenities. We had 2 different rooms (2 different stays in a 7 day stretch), and both had a minor problem, but fixed quickly.

One the toilet would not flush and the other the shower would not turn on. Overall, its another quality stay and we look forward to heading back next month.
Old Mar 6, 2014, 11:54 am

Programs: UA 1K, AA PLT (fmr CK), SPG Platinum, Hyatt Platinum
Need to be in Carlsbad for work over the next few weeks - does anyone have an opinion of the Sheraton vs. the Park Hyatt Aviara? I will typically stay with SPG unless the other option is much nicer, so would be interested in hearing from anyone who has stayed at both. Unfortunately, Legoland is probably not in the cards this time.
Old Apr 21, 2014, 11:31 am

Programs: UA (1MM); SPG Plat
Did a one nighter here the night before Easter Sunday. Tried to applied for SNA upgrade, but no suites were available. Got assigned to the Deluxe coastal view room on the third floor in building 1. $12 resort fee is waived for Platinum guest. Parked in the limited space underground parking. I can choose to either have the 500 SPG points or the continental breakfast as my Platinum welcome gift. With the continental breakfast, you can choose anything on the menu and they will provide a $15 credit per person for up to two. We choose the standard "platinum" breakfast which includes coffee, juice, pastry, cereal, yogurt, and fruit bowl. We didn't eat much, just wanted to have some coffee and fruit, so this was actually perfect. Did not get a bill since the waitress said everything was taken care of. We left a cash tip. It was a very nice touch to have the easter egg hunt for hotel guests (and those who opted to have Sunday brunch there). It was very nicely organized. They split out the resort children guests into two groups, those 7 and under were at the lawn at 9:30AM, and those 8 and over had a more challenging hunt at a different place at 9:45AM. Then those attending Sunday brunch had their egg hunt at 1PM. They also had the Easter Bunny available for pictures starting at 8:30AM. The walkway to the private entrance to Legoland is pretty easy. Walk down the hill no more than 10 minutes (it is a very quick walk down hill). The entrance will "dump" you by Castle Hill inside Legoland. Overall, the property is nice, however, not too many suites available for upgrade.

Last edited by sink; Apr 23, 2014 at 4:06 pm
Old Apr 21, 2014, 12:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1MM, WN CP, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Gold, IC Plat
Originally Posted by sk3x
Need to be in Carlsbad for work over the next few weeks - does anyone have an opinion of the Sheraton vs. the Park Hyatt Aviara? I will typically stay with SPG unless the other option is much nicer, so would be interested in hearing from anyone who has stayed at both. Unfortunately, Legoland is probably not in the cards this time.
This would be a no brainier for the Park Hyatt - all else being equal in terms of your EQN needs, rates, etc. IMO Only reason to stay at Sheraton is proximity to legoland or if you need SPG points or nights. It's a nice family property, nice pool but not luxurious by any means.
Old Apr 23, 2014, 11:13 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA PLT (fmr CK), SPG Platinum, Hyatt Platinum
Originally Posted by Boraxo
This would be a no brainier for the Park Hyatt - all else being equal in terms of your EQN needs, rates, etc. IMO Only reason to stay at Sheraton is proximity to legoland or if you need SPG points or nights. It's a nice family property, nice pool but not luxurious by any means.
At the Sheraton now - I've bounced back and forth to get some variety and depending on whom I'm traveling with. Agree with you on the Park Hyatt, as it's a very nice property. But if I'm just sleeping at the hotel, it almost feels like a waste.

After 10-12 nights across 4 stays, I've found this Sheraton to be fine, but sometimes a little underwhelming on some of the smaller things, such as valet and housekeeping. Wouldn't rush back but it's a convenient SPG property in the area.
Old Apr 28, 2014, 3:28 pm

Programs: UA (1MM); SPG Plat
Spent another Saturday night here this past weekend. This time the SNA cleared into a corner suite, and was upgraded again on arrival (checked in around 7PM) to the Marbrisa suite (on the 3rd floor) facing the canyon/parking lot view. It was true one-bedroom suite.

Last edited by sink; Apr 28, 2014 at 3:52 pm
Old Jun 14, 2014, 12:44 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Southwest A List, United Silver, Jumeirah One Silver, Marriott Silver
Just finished a 5-night award stay here. Redeemed 80K pts for 5 nights in an Executive Suite for family of 4.
Assigned room 1302 (Building 1, 3rd floor), with nice view of pool. Check-in was easy and agent was very friendly. Room was ready even though we got there before noon.
Room had a large living room with full bathroom to the right of main entry. Bedroom was attached with King bed, but no en suite bathroom. (So just the one full bathroom in the suite, and its in the living room). Didn't like that layout. Gotta admit, I don't think I've ever staying in a room without the bedroom having a bathroom attached. The bathroom only had a single vanity. Couch in living room was a fold out. Good enough for 2 kids, but mattress was very saggy and wouldn't think it would be comfortable for an adult. Rest of furniture was nice and well kept. Decor was modern. The TVs were standard, though they only had CNBC World, not the regular CNBC. May not be a big deal for some, but again, can't remember being in a hotel room where I didn't get CNBC.

Location is nice. Directly attached to Legoland via a 5 min walk. Valets are more than happy to take you down in a golf cart and bring you up if you specify a pickup time. Plenty of retail and family friendly restaurants within 2 mile radius.
About a 30 min drive to Seaworld, and it took us just under an hour to get to Disneyland (using HOV lane, otherwise tack on an extra 30 mins).

Housekeeping/Room service needed some work. We constantly had to call down to housekeeping for things. Sometimes they only gave us 2 sets of towels instead of 4, shower gel wasn't replaced at all, etc. We tried room service once for breakfast and they forgot one entree and didn't bring enough silverware for the number of entrees we ordered. They were also 7 mins later than the latest time on our requested time interval. Cost for 3 entrees was $70.
The only day I got a paper delivered to my room was on my last day, not sure why that was.

Pool was nice. The depth goes from 3-5 ft. There is also a large hot tub with depth of 3.5 ft. Great views of the hills and nicely surrounded by palm trees.
On Sunday there was a waitress taking drink and food orders poolside, but on Tuesday we never saw one during the 3 hrs we were there.

Resort fee is $14/day, Self parking is $12/day, Valet $18/day. There is an underground parking garage that is self park. It is convenient to the rooms, but fills up rather quickly. If you don't get a spot there and you still want to self park you have to park across from the main entrance and walk a bit further to get to your room.

Overall nice property. If you want to do Legoland and Seaworld, its very functional. Also good if you want a place that allows you to relax by a nice pool.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.