Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Sheraton Carlsbad Resort and Spa, CA [Master Thread]

Sheraton Carlsbad Resort and Spa, CA [Master Thread]

Old Mar 10, 2008, 5:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Marriott/Lifetime Titanium Hyatt/Explorist, Hilton/Silver, IHG Spire,UA Gold
Just got off the phone with the platinum desk and as I suspected, the rate for guaranteeing a suite is double the points...that would mean this 5 day trip would cost me a 120,000 points...OUCH! Anyone have any ideas/advice on a way to weasel around those costs? Anyone know how big the standard rooms are...in real terms, not what the web site lists?
Old Mar 10, 2008, 9:09 pm
formerly known as daveland

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LTP, Delta Platinum, Hilton Honors Diamond, Wyndham Diamond
A 5 day stay should only cost you 4 nights worth of points. And it's a Cat 4, so that would be 80,000 total for a suite.
Old Mar 11, 2008, 11:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Marriott/Lifetime Titanium Hyatt/Explorist, Hilton/Silver, IHG Spire,UA Gold
Originally Posted by daveland
A 5 day stay should only cost you 4 nights worth of points. And it's a Cat 4, so that would be 80,000 total for a suite.
I understand that, however, I am reserving two rooms (80,000 points), and then upgrading one to a suite (40,000 points) for a total of 120,000 points.
Old Mar 23, 2008, 9:16 pm

Programs: UA MM Gold, AA 2 MM Platinum, DL Gold, SPG Lifetime Plat, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt Diamond, IHG Spire
Question

Does anyone know how well set up the Club Lounge is? Specifically, would like to know if they have computers in the lounge. Would love to leave the laptop at home when I visit this hotel.

Also, what's the food selection like in the lounge and do they serve appetizers in the evenings as well as breakfast in the morning?
Old Mar 23, 2008, 10:04 pm

Originally Posted by socalplat
I live in SD and am familiar with this hotel. It is located just off Interstate 5 at the Cannon Road exit. The hotel is built on property that used to be farmland. Surrounding area includes Carlsbad outlet mall, low key corporate area, 5 min from beach and right next to Legoland. I would recommend restaurants in downtown Carlsbad one exit south, west on Carlsbad Village Dr. Lots of great places on or near PCH.
Perhaps you can get there off of Cannon (haven't tried), but when I drove by on the way to the Crossing's Golf Club, there was an entrance off of Palomar Airport Road as well (The Crossings Drive). You can see the beach in 5 minutes, but to actually be at the beach will be more like 15 minutes. Location is definitely quite good (although you're right in the take-off path for Carlsbad/Palomar Airport). Guessing they have good sound proof windows there.

Downtown Carlsbad (Carlsbad Village exit) is 2 exits North from Cannon. Tamarack is the next exit after Cannon. As mentioned above, quite a few good restaurants there to chose from. Some of the best beer anywhere can be found at The Pizza Port (good pizza too!).
Old Apr 24, 2008, 11:27 am

Programs: United 1k, Marriot LifeTime Plat, Avis PC, Hertz PC
I am currently staying at this hotel and thought to give you a quick review of how my stay till now.

I am a Platinum SPG.

I checked in on Monday night, the bloke at the check-in counter appeared to know what he was doing, but he didnt. I confirmed if my SPG number was on the reservation he said it was. While he was checking me in, I slipped in the polite, 'Is there a suite available?'. He replied a odd 'There is one but its not available.' To me that seemed contradictory even more so at midnight after flying for 6ish hours.

As always he asked for my credit card and for some reason he couldnt get into the system, he took almost 6-7 mins to get my credit card before he gave up and said I will just the CC on profile which is the same.

I didnt bother pushing as I was just too tired. As he was checking me in he took a very long time working the machine to code my keycard, after wrestling it for a bit he gave me the key with a room number which was different to what was blinking on the machine. He almost fell over when I pointed out the slight error. He re-coded my key to the correct room. (I am getting grumpier by the minute as I am so tired and just sick of waiting)

He finally gives me the key, I walk off to my room and get into my room and suddenly realise that I he didnt mention anything about my Plat Amenity or Lounge Access. I called him back at front desk and he said, to just come to the front desk in the morning to ask for it.

The room itself is simple but nice. There was a 30ish inch LCD HDTV. Two bath robes. Nice big bed. Tiny balcony but nice to get some fresh southern californian air.

As you can tell this is not the worst but not the most pleasant experience. When i woke up in the morning I went to the front desk to get my key and i explained my experience. The Bell Captain (I forget his name now) was fantastic, he deeply apologized for everything, in fact he actually had my Plat Amenity on desk waiting (I always pick 500 points). I came back to my room that day and I found a message offering me a suite upgrade. ^^

I took it.

The suite is fantastic. Two LCD HDTVs in the room. I believe the one in lounge room is 36 ish inch or so. The one in bedroom is about 30ish inch so quite nice. Leather Sofa. Nicer view. Bigger bedroom. Bathroom was almost identical to the room.

THe Club Lounge is good breakfast but I find the food in the evening to be average. The good thing is they change it daily.

Aside from everything I mentioned, there is loads of construction so if you are planning on a holiday and if you are like me you might wanna wait for another 6 months to let them wrap everything up. The staff even the incompetent checkin bloke were super friendly and customer concious. Did I mention the carpet is soft? Oh yeah new hotel = soft carpet.

So moral of the story dont checkin late. at Sheraton Carlsbad.
Old Apr 25, 2008, 11:17 pm

Well, I am thrilled about this hotel. We live about 20 miles from there and I just made Platinum () so I would like to use it as a little getaway with the husband and kids on my extra SPs.

Anyone know when it's most likely I would get the upgrade? Weekdays or weekends? Any night in particular? Any guesses? I am thinking this is a more family oriented hotel so weekends would be harder than weekdays. But someone I spoke to about Dana Point told me weekdays are actually harder due to business clients.

Any thoughts? Thanks! Katherine
Old May 19, 2008, 8:51 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LTP, Delta Platinum, Hilton Honors Diamond, Wyndham Diamond
Has anyone successfully booked a Cash & Points stay here? I can't track down any availability and am wondering if they perhaps don't participate in C&P.

(While I am glad Starwood made C&P system-wide, the fact that a hotel can just choose not to load any days into the rate plan makes it somewhat harder to before to know if you should keep waiting on possible availability or just give up ;-) )
Old Jun 25, 2008, 7:51 am

I just spent 2 nights there last weekend. Called in to see if I could get cash and points but apparently they don't offer that redemption at this property. I ended up paying for a regular room and using 10,000 points to upgrade to a "juinior" suite.

Upon arrival it looked to be a nice and quiet. The attitude and service at check-in was great. As we went into the building where the rooms were located, it was like a warzone. The first few rooms on all levels seemed to be going through construction and there were tarps that extended half way into the hall to cover each door. We were given room 1011 and that room happened to be one of the rooms under construction. Odd that the front desk didn't know this in advance but no big deal. I go back to the front desk and was given another suite on the 2nd floor that they mentioned was the "pacific suite" if I'm not mistaken. I asked them if it was at least the same size and was assured that it was.

We went back to the building, went in the elevator and same deal with the construction and tarps. When we entered the room it seemed like any normal room where the bathroom is next to the front door and the bed was king size bed was visible from the entrance. To our surprise as we walked past the room was HUGE. The original suite was supposely 740 sq feet or something, but this room was close to 1,000. We were upgraded to I believe the largest suite there which was priced at $899 per night on the site. The decor was decent. We usually stay at a St. Regis or Four Seasons when possible, but this was pretty nice for a sheraton.

There was a large living room with 3 person sofa, coffee table and 2 singles on each end. A large 42" flatscreen with HD on a console with cabinets and drawers with tall shelves on both sides. Moving on, there was a long granite countertop/bar with sink, and small fridge. There were also double doors on the other side of the room making it two entrances to the room. Room was decorated with nice art with great recessed lighting all around the living room area.

There was so much room that my 1 yr old son had more fun running around than when we went to legoland. As someone else mentioned the carpet was extremely soft! There were two sliding screen doors, well one but they slid apart from the middle leading to a tiny balcony. I don't know why call it a ocean view when you can't even see the ocean.

We went to check out the club lounge downstairs and our room key was not able to open the door. apparently no one's room key was able to open the door, but there was always someone there to help. The lounge was directly beneath the suite we were staying in, It was identical in terms of size and the bar. It felt like everyone had lounge access so it was always packed in the mornings and often ran into the same people. Someone who was eating breakfast asked us about the legoland entrance and as we both left the lounge, we walked past the construction and he mentioned that they gave him "free breakfast" for the construction going on.

Around 10am the next morning the fire alarms went off, very intense and ear drum piercing. They didn't turn off for 10 mins. We later found out that the alarms were set off by the construction crews.

Overall it was pretty good. Nothing spectacular but overall good experience.

I'd also mention that when the valet brought up my SUV (2008 BMW X5) I got a dynamic drive failure warning on the screen. Though not sure if the valet caused it, I did notice that they ride your car pretty hard when they bring it to you.

I took some pics of the room and will try to put it up on tripadvisor later on..
Old Jun 25, 2008, 10:29 pm

I stayed there for 3 nights in late May. Same construction issue was going on. Front Desk staff still seem to be learning the ropes. I wasn't upgraded to a suite (only time this year I haven't been), but had a decent room on the 3rd floor overlooking the canyon/golf course. Bathroom had tub/shower combo which I don't like (you get the same thing at a La Quinta). My card key also didn't work for the lounge. I found the lounge pretty sub-standard, so I only went there 1 time. I didn't valet my car, but still had to pay $8/day for self parking. Restaurant/Bar area were fine, with a nice outside seating area. Pool and workout facilities were very nice.

Location is very good. Next door to Legoland and across the street from The Crossings Golf Course. When I stayed, prices were $179/night. Checked for another room in mid-June and prices had gone up to $279/night.
Old Jun 27, 2008, 1:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

was wondering if anyone can comment about the pool...I have read it is nice and warm, which is good as I am taking my 3 1/2 year old and 1 year old out there in July. I am curious if the pool has a "zero entry" area for the little ones, or if you have to enter from the sides like most normal pools...anyone help me out on this?
Old Oct 10, 2008, 5:15 pm

Finally had my stay and found time to write the review.......

Sheraton Carlsbad review
Old Nov 14, 2008, 10:47 am

Programs: AC*P, SPG
Was here for a two night stay recently and really enjoyed the hotel.

Front desk and Concierge staff were really on the ball. Check-in and check-out were a breeze, and the front desk even let me use one of their computers when the Link computers wouldn't let me print off my .pdf boarding pass.

Booked a Club Floor room and received one on the third floor of Building 1. Room was really spacious and was extremely comfortable. Housekeeping didn't refresh my toiletries or my complimentary bottle of water on the second day so I called Rapid Response. The girl who answered the phone was thrown off about the water -- "Oh, there was a complimentary bottle in your room? I'm not sure, let me transfer you to the Front Desk" -- however, the Front Desk was much more knowledgeable. Housekeeping brought up two bottles of water within 5 minutes.

The outdoor pool looked gorgeous, however I didn't get a change to actually experience it, so unfortunately I can't answer the question about the "zero entry" area.

Club lounge breakfast was pretty decent, even though eggs were the only hot item option available (as noted by previous posters).

Had a great stay here and would not hesitate to go back if I were to be in the North County area again.
Old Dec 30, 2008, 7:49 pm

Programs: Delta Diamond, United GS, Starwood Lifetime Platinum
just stayed

I just did my first stay here to complete my 25 stays to make platinum!
We've been to legoland with my 2 sons a few times and have been wanting to stay here. Cost was very reasonable $149/night. It's a very clean hotel, nice lobby, and everything is very kid-friendly. Restaurant has nice kids menu, all the waiters were very attentive to details like bringing out crayons, and drinks with lids/straws.

As a platinum, no upgrade.. and with 2 kids, I can tell you I really wanted a suite. I should have used points but thought I had a chance. 18 other platinums were staying there (26th/27th) The shuttle is a toyota sienna minivan that never had more than a 10 min wait. Picked you up and dropped us off with stroller in the back to the front of legoland. The back private entrance is also walkable (about 7 min walk) which at 10am when the park opens is awesome since the back of the park is practically empty since everyone is coming thru the front. It was great to go to the rides and things that you know will get crowded first.

Also, I didn't get the complimentary water bottle as I normally do. The clublounge got definitely crowded, but beer/soda/water and quesadillas were being served. Breakfast they had a custom omelette guy there which was nice.

Rooms were average, and we were on the first floor. Great thing is the fireworks show during the holiday at legoland was shot from the parking lot of the sheraton. So we watched it from our room and it was the closest i've ever been. very cool for the kids.

Service was hit or miss. One of the front desk guys that helped me just didn't have a clue and took 6-7 min to get me checked in.

I'd definitely stay there again but would probably use points to guarantee a suite with kids. or 2 rooms that are adjoining.
Old Jan 27, 2009, 10:11 am

Programs: SPG Plat/Hyatt Plat/DL/AmexPlat/CO
Just spent two nights at the Sheraton Carlsbad. As a Plat - was offered the Plat amenity at check-in - very pleasant lobby staff. I was told I was upgraded to the "Club Floor." I was put in what seemed to me as a standard room on the 3rd floor. Why they call it the Club floor is beyond me. The lounge is on the first floor. If you are looking for a quiet getaway hotel this is not the place. Due to its location next to Legoland - it is chock full of kids - everywhere! The lounge is always full of kids - and the one TV there is always tuned into a children's channel/program. Very minimum breakfast and appetizers (cheese) during the evening.

Acoustically - this hotel is a disaster. From inside your room you can plainly hear conversations from everyone passing your room. The restaurant (20/20) was quite good. Service was prompt and the food above average.

I would not stay here again - but it is the perfect spot if you have kids and are going to Legoland!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.