Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Starwood | Starwood Preferred Guest
Reload this Page >

[GONE April 2018] W New York Lexington Ave [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

[GONE April 2018] W New York Lexington Ave [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Jun 7, 2009, 6:49 am
Marriott Contributor BadgeWyndham Contributor Badge

Programs: Hertz PC, Hilton DMD, IHG Spire Amb, Bonvoy Titanium Elite & WoH Globalist
Stay the night: W New York

A recent article by the Independent about the Lexington W:

They've spent $40m rejuvenating this Manhattan hotel. Will the results please its trend-setting guests?

Reviewed by Kate Simon
Sunday, 7 June 2009

http://www.independent.co.uk/travel/...k-1698501.html

The rooms

All 688 rooms in the 11-storey property have been refreshed. W's theatrical – the unkind might say gloomy – lighting remains key to the look, centring on the very comfortable bed, where headboards featuring abstract photos are backlit and pools of amber light spill out from its base. It's a matter of taste, but ...
Old Jun 7, 2009, 7:16 am

Interesting. I stayed here a lot on business but haven't returned in about five or six years. I was never impressed with the W attitude, offering or service. I did have a favorite bartender in the lobby bar, a really nice person who made me feel welcome with great service and conversation. Travelling solo, I usually ate at the bar as well.

My wife and I are thinking about visiting NYC this summer. We were leaning to one of the more traditional, luxury properties. Maybe I'll give the Lex W another try to check out the changes.

Cheers,
Old Jun 7, 2009, 12:55 pm

Programs: UA GS, DL Plat, Marriott Bonvoy LIfetime Titanium/SPG refugee, Hertz Prez, Amtrak Select
Originally Posted by Flews
Interesting. I stayed here a lot on business but haven't returned in about five or six years. I was never impressed with the W attitude, offering or service. I did have a favorite bartender in the lobby bar, a really nice person who made me feel welcome with great service and conversation. Travelling solo, I usually ate at the bar as well.

My wife and I are thinking about visiting NYC this summer. We were leaning to one of the more traditional, luxury properties. Maybe I'll give the Lex W another try to check out the changes.

Cheers,
Keep in mind it was the property and not the attitude that got the overhaul.
Old Jun 7, 2009, 3:49 pm

Originally Posted by EnvoyBoy
Keep in mind it was the property and not the attitude that got the overhaul.
The only attitude I caught when I stayed in March was from the 50ish lady on the Accura desk in front of the lifts.Major attitude reassignment needed.
My suite upgrade was cool!!!!!!!

Old Jun 7, 2009, 3:57 pm
PHL
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT, DL SLV, UA SLV, MR LTT, HH DIA
Originally Posted by Flews
I did have a favorite bartender in the lobby bar, a really nice person who made me feel welcome with great service and conversation.
The name of that bartender wouldn't happened to be Tracy or Lisa would it? They have been there since the beginning (or close to it). I haven't been there in over a year, so I'm not sure if they are still there. But, even though I moved 99.9% of my stays to the Waldorf=Astoria across the street, I always popped in just to say hi to them.
Old Jun 7, 2009, 5:13 pm

Indeed, I do believe the one I recall was Lisa.

Cheers,
Old Jun 7, 2009, 11:44 pm

Programs: UA MM, AA 2MM, Bonvoy LTP, HH Dia
Originally Posted by EnvoyBoy
Just stayed there recently and was upgraded to a small suite. The bedroom and bathroom were awesome! I had a full jacuzzi tub plus a separate shower. Big bathroom, big mirror, excellent light.
Just checked out this afternoon from room 917... booked a "cozy" room for 2 nights (cheap 2nd night 50% rate, but it was last minute, it was wide open, and I'm Plat, so there was zero incentive to book a nicer room) and they upgraded me to a "fabulous suite." My TV's were new, but in contrast to the poster above, the bathroom was tiny with only an old shower and a dirty looking shower curtain. On the plus side, we had a huge balcony... I wanted to re-try this hotel after the renovation, but I'd still prefer any of W's 4 other NY properties... or the Westin... or the Parker Meridien... and obviously the Reg
Old Jun 9, 2009, 1:23 pm

If anybody wants to crash a party...

For some reason I'm on the mailing list for Quintessentially, which appears to try to market "the good life" -- their latest offering should give some idea of just how "good" their offerings are.

Quintessentially members are invited to celebrate the eve of National Martini Day on Thursday, June 18 at exclusive soirées at some of the most sought-after venues in New York (the members’ penthouse at the W Lexington Avenue), Los Angeles (Palihouse Holloway), and San Francisco (15 Romolo). These unique evenings are presented by Maestro Dobel Diamond Tequila, the world's first-ever clear-aged tequila. Enjoy an evening of summer reverie from 6-8pm, and experience the clear complexity of the finest aged sipping tequila, served with an innovative twist on the classic martini.
I didn't even know there was a members' penthouse!
Old Jun 9, 2009, 10:51 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA 2MM, Bonvoy LT Plt, Mets fan
Originally Posted by Kalboz
A recent article by the Independent about the Lexington W:

They've spent $40m rejuvenating this Manhattan hotel. Will the results please its trend-setting guests?

Reviewed by Kate Simon
Sunday, 7 June 2009

http://www.independent.co.uk/travel/...k-1698501.html

The rooms

All 688 rooms in the 11-storey property have been refreshed. W's theatrical – the unkind might say gloomy – lighting remains key to the look, centring on the very comfortable bed, where headboards featuring abstract photos are backlit and pools of amber light spill out from its base. It's a matter of taste, but ...
Just spent 2 nts there. "Gloomy" is unkind; "inadequate" is sufficient. Only with the desk light on can you read - which does no good if you want to read lying in bed. The bathroom (1435) was tiny - every time I sat on the commode I banged my elbow on the vanity - but when I forgot to bring a washcloth into the shower, I could reach the one sitting on the side of the sink.

All in all, the lack of amenities at this property annoy me; I was only there b/c it was cheaper than staying @ the Waldorf-Astoria (conference hotel) for $50 more/night.
Old Jun 11, 2009, 5:36 pm

Programs: Starwood Platinum,Marriott Platinum, United Silver
Thanks to all of you and to FT in general! Stayed at the Parker Meridien last week and had a wonderful upgrade to a Junior Suite in a great hotel at a great location. I have a seminar on Park and 42nd this weekend so we booked the W Lexington Ave. Saw yesterday that I was upgraded to a Mega Room - and they call 275 Sq Ft a Mega Room!

Called the Platinum Concierge and told it that it didn't work for me. They have suites available and I want one. If not, we'll transfer to the PM again. She called the hotel for me and they changed it to a Fantastic Suite. BTW, I'd like their advertising people to market my dental practice!!!

Never would have done it if not for this thread and would most certainly have been pissed off. Thanks to you all, I'm getting what I deserve!
Old Jun 20, 2009, 12:07 pm

Stayed at the W NY on Lex last weekend and had an interesting stay, overall it was good but the Whatever/Whenever desk had some major issues that could have really ruined my trip if I hadn't backed them up.

Saturday was great, at checkin I was upgraded to a Wonderful Suite from a Mega Room (after asking and saying that I knew Suites were available). That was great as there were going to be 4 of us! The room itself is very large. Nice queen sized bed and very comfortable. Nice flat screen tv mounted on a pole in the bedroom. Living room was as pictured above and great for relaxing. I didn't have any issue from the silver "pool float" furniture as I thought it was comfortable.

Staff was great getting two roll away beds in and a nice (very small) slice of birthday cake sent up for my partner. When we got home from the bars there was a bottle of wine waiting (a bit late but appreciated). The Acrua was even able to take 6 of us to dinner in the East Village, getting picked up and dropped off for a birthday was a nice treat for all of us compared to taking the subway.

Sunday morning was a complete failure when it comes to service. I called down at 10:30 and left a message with the Whatever/Whenever desk to see if they could have the concierge arrange brunch reservations for us. I called at 11:45 and was told that the concierge was busy but would call me back. By 1pm, they hadn't. I ended up taking our friends and my partner out with me to find someplace myself.

When we got back at 2:45 I called and asked for a wake up call at 3:30 because I wanted a quick nap, never happened. Luckily I had a friend call me at 3:45 and ask where I was.

Overall, nice room and good staff on Saturday but Sunday's staff really soured my experience. The Whatever/Whenever and Concierge staff really need more people! 1 concierge for a hotel this large is just unacceptable.
Old Jun 21, 2009, 1:21 pm

Programs: UA Plat MM, AA Gold, Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Gold, IHG Plat, Marriott Titanium Elite
Originally Posted by WBurcham
When we got back at 2:45 I called and asked for a wake up call at 3:30 because I wanted a quick nap, never happened. Luckily I had a friend call me at 3:45 and ask where I was.
Although there is no excuse for any hotel to miss a wake up call, it happens a lot. Why wouldn't you set the alarm clock in your room just in case? I always do that and have never missed getting up on time.
Old Jun 21, 2009, 2:50 pm
PHL
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT, DL SLV, UA SLV, MR LTT, HH DIA
Originally Posted by WBurcham

Sunday morning was a complete failure when it comes to service. I called down at 10:30 and left a message ....I called at 11:45 .... By 1pm, they hadn't.
While that is a serious lack of manpower if they couldn't get back to you after 2 1/2 hours from the original call, did you go down in person or start making some calls yourself for brunch? I don't know many people who would sit around hungry for that long waiting for a concierge to find a brunch spot.

Btw for anyone looking in the future - the Waldorf=Astoria Sunday brunch across the street is about as good as it gets...they convert the lobby into a huge buffet.
Old Jun 22, 2009, 7:42 am

Originally Posted by DCBob
Although there is no excuse for any hotel to miss a wake up call, it happens a lot. Why wouldn't you set the alarm clock in your room just in case? I always do that and have never missed getting up on time.
If I could have found an alarm clock in the room... I would have.... I guess I chock things like that up to "It shouldn't happen at a hotel like this".

Originally Posted by PHL
While that is a serious lack of manpower if they couldn't get back to you after 2 1/2 hours from the original call, did you go down in person or start making some calls yourself for brunch? I don't know many people who would sit around hungry for that long waiting for a concierge to find a brunch spot.

Btw for anyone looking in the future - the Waldorf=Astoria Sunday brunch across the street is about as good as it gets...they convert the lobby into a huge buffet.
With respect to why it took so long, hungover inertia. The first call was before any of us started getting ready to go to brunch and by the time all 4 of us were ready (2 guys, 2 girls) and by the time we'd talked to the people we were going to end up meeting, it was almost 2 1/2 hours (I'd say about 2 hours from when we initially called we made our own decision based on calling friends). It was just a REALLY bad way to leave a lasting impression, especially on a celebratory weekend where I could have paid a little more to have stayed at the Waldorf.
Old Jul 14, 2009, 11:59 pm

I'm planning on using Cash & Points for either this or the Four Points Chelsea hotel. They're both in the same category so they cost the same amount of Cash/Points. Which one would be the better value?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.