Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Westin Resort & Spa, Cancun, Mexico [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Westin Resort & Spa, Cancun, Mexico [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Mar 31, 2008, 7:31 am

Programs: United GS, Fairmont Platinum,SPG LTPlat, Hilton Diamond, MarriottGold..like the rest of the world
To the OP: I would advise you to go back and carefully read the reviews and comments over the past year or two regarding this hotel.

In summary, I can tell you that the consensus tends to be something along these lines:

It's a solid hotel, but a dated one. That means that instead of infinity pools and sleek landscaping, things are laid out in squares and there is no large community pool, but rather smallish sqaure pools. This place was a very early Cancun hotel (late 1970s? early 1980s?) and was originally built and operated as the CONRAD CANCUN HOTEL (not many know that one!).

Frankly, it was getting a little too dated just before the massive storm 2 or 3 years ago. That storm closed this property for something like 6 to 9 months. The hotel took that time to significantly upgrade the public areas and the room furnishings.

Most would give this hotel about a B-. It's a comfortable hotel with a good beach. It's not a sleek Westin with a cool crowd, if that's important to you. It's also at the tail end of the long strip that makes up Cancun -- for some that's a bonus; for the active party crowd, it tends to be a drawback since getting to the clubs at night takes 20 minutes or more from the hotel.

I'd say that this would be a perfectly fine meeting location. But, if the thrust of the meeting is an incentive trip, I'd strongly encourage the group to look at the substantial other options available in Cancun -- such as the Fiesta Americana properties, the Le Meridien, the Ritz-Carlton, or the JWMarriott. All of which I'd rate higher than the Westin.

My $00000.02.
Old Mar 31, 2008, 9:13 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond; Marriott Platinum; SPG Gold; OnePass Gold; Avis President's Club
I stayed here July 4 week 2007. I was put into the Royal Beach Club as a Platinum on a rewards stay. A coupe comments:

The RBC rooms do have balconies. The rooms are nice enough. Marble floors, respectable size. The biggest drawback if that the hallway door opens directly to an outdoor hallway, so there is no climate control. The room is extremely humid all the time. I thought turning the AC colder would dehumidify the room, but there is no dehumidifier in the AC, so everything got very cold and clammy. My final solution was to turn on the AC to a reasonable level when not in the room and turn it off at night.

The bathroom I had was very dated with a half-door on the shower, so the floor got soaked with every shower.

The beach is very nice, and the RBC pool is private and quiet.

I really liked the food that is served in the lounge for breakfast and dinner - nice selection and plentiful.

I believe the Regina refers to the timeshares that are on the left of the drive when you come up the driveway. The Westin hotel is on the right, and the RBC is set back at the end of the property. The bus stops right across the steet from the hotel at a turnaround and is a great way to get back and forth. I took it constantly with no safety issues even late at night.

The LM is definitely a nicer hotel with nicer pools and closer to downtown, but if I was doing a basic rewards stay, I would probably do the Westin instead to save the points (unless they changed the category - didn't check).
Old Mar 31, 2008, 9:24 am

Programs: United GS, Fairmont Platinum,SPG LTPlat, Hilton Diamond, MarriottGold..like the rest of the world
Originally Posted by mrEzE
The LM is definitely a nicer hotel with nicer pools and closer to downtown, but if I was doing a basic rewards stay, I would probably do the Westin instead to save the points (unless they changed the category - didn't check).
To each his/her own, of course. But, for my money, I'm not sure you'd be able to find a more substantial difference anywhere in North America between a CAT3 and a CAT4 hotel within a few miles of each other. For the extra 3000 points, the experience at the LM is vastly different. The spa at the LM is widely recognized as among the most complete in the whole of Mexico. It's levels above the spa at either the R-C or the JW.
Old Mar 31, 2008, 1:07 pm
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

I stayed here July 4 week 2007. I was put into the Royal Beach Club as a Platinum on a rewards stay. A coupe comments:

The RBC rooms do have balconies. The rooms are nice enough. Marble floors, respectable size. The biggest drawback if that the hallway door opens directly to an outdoor hallway, so there is no climate control. The room is extremely humid all the time. I thought turning the AC colder would dehumidify the room, but there is no dehumidifier in the AC, so everything got very cold and clammy. My final solution was to turn on the AC to a reasonable level when not in the room and turn it off at night.

The bathroom I had was very dated with a half-door on the shower, so the floor got soaked with every shower.

The beach is very nice, and the RBC pool is private and quiet.

I really liked the food that is served in the lounge for breakfast and dinner - nice selection and plentiful.

I believe the Regina refers to the timeshares that are on the left of the drive when you come up the driveway. The Westin hotel is on the right, and the RBC is set back at the end of the property. The bus stops right across the steet from the hotel at a turnaround and is a great way to get back and forth. I took it constantly with no safety issues even late at night.

Stayed at this property multiple times, last time for thanksgiving (around USD 100 a night, upgraded to RBC due to Plat)

Humidity will not be an issue for the OP in January, but I do agree the Royal Club outside corridors are a little strange.

The bathrooms are a little dated and the rooms look... cheap? There's a low end flat screen TV, that's the only difference I could see changed to the rooms since before the storm

The RBC rooms all have balconies, please note that there are not that many rooms with King bed in the RBC. The RBC pool is nice and private, but there's only sun till 1230PMish. After 1230 you have to move to the main pool... The RBC breakfast is ok at best. If you aren't there at 7AM you will get sweaty cheese and melted butter.... The buffet breakfast in the main restaurant is much better, we ate there most days (costs extra). I'm sure the OP can negotiate breakfast buffet in the main restaurant for a business/meeting stay.

The property is average and the service is good, but it's not close to being the best hotel in Cancun.

PS! Stay away from the cab driver crooks by the hotel. The bus is like a nickel and just as comfortable if you are going out..
Old May 16, 2008, 1:12 pm

upgrades for Plat at westin cancun

Originally Posted by benolaa
Well just to follow up I stayed at the Westin and it has by far the best beach of all the hotels. The service was good but, could have been better. The staff answering the phones needed a lesson in English but, the front desk staff where great. As a Platinum I received a huge suite and bottle of wine. As the hotel is at the bottom of the strip it is quieter but just a short trip to the center by cab ($12) or by the bus which is at the front of the property ($.60). The spa was fantastic with a great workout room and massage treatments. I would recommend this hotel. I cant wait to see the new Westin which should open shortly where the Sheraton used to be. For any specific questions feel free to PM.
Do you have to call the hotel or spg to request for an upgrade for a plat member or they just do automatically. when do you get to know if you got an upgrade?
Old May 16, 2008, 1:55 pm

Originally Posted by premb
Do you have to call the hotel or spg to request for an upgrade for a plat member or they just do automatically. when do you get to know if you got an upgrade?
Like 99.999% of the other times, the upgrades are handled automatically, based on availability. Some hotels preblock the morning of arrival, others follow the letter of the law and upgrade based on availability AT CHECK IN.

Calling the hotel and/or SPG does not assist in getting an upgrade and only causes the rep who answers to have to explain to you that there's nothing they can do in advance.

Keep in mind that there are plenty of other Platinum guests following the rules and if one could secure upgrades weeks in advance by calling in and requesting them, the phone lines would be jammed every day of the year with folks doing just that. (For the record, the SPG members who played by the rules and never called in would, effectively, have zero shot at an upgrade. That's one good reason for the SPG program to continue their current policy of day of check-in upgrading.)
Old May 16, 2008, 3:55 pm

Programs: Bonvoy LT Plat, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, BMI Gold (RIP)
Originally Posted by premb
When I stayed their I was a Gold and was treated better than I am at a number of hotels as a Platinum. It may not be typical of what they usually do, but I was impressed with them.
Old May 18, 2008, 12:19 am

Programs: UA Million Miler, BonVoyLifetime Platinum, UA Platinum, President's Club,
Thumbs down Never again-Westin Cancun

I was reading about people who were going back and forth between the Westin and Le Meridien. Having just returned from Cancun and having stayed at both properties, I can say w/o question that LM is best. I am SO shocked at the decline of the Westin Cancun that I can hardly believe it was ever nice! But, it was at one time my favorite hotel. Here is my opinion on the Westin vs. Le Meridien and as I wrote part of it at the hotel and part on the flight back, forgive me if anything is written twice.

Well, this question is solved for me, for good. After the disastrous reopening following the hurricane, I thought I was done with Westin Cancun. I love Le Meridien and was happy I'd found it. Still, so many people ask me about this Westin, and a colleague wanted to know if it would be a good place for a convention he holds annually. So, after a wonderful 3 days at Meridien I packed up and headed over to the Westin. I was expecting all to be back to normal and was looking forward to a nice day. So, so wrong.

I checked in and the man at the desk TOLD me I am not a Platinum SPG Member. Let me backtrack. I asked very nicely if I had received an upgrade I had requested in my reservation. (Note: before the hurricane I had a great time at this hotel and had received suite upgrades even as a Gold member.) The man said I had been upgraded, but not to a suite. "You know how Starwood works" he said, "You only get upgraded one level and that's NOT a suite." I asked nicely if there was a suite available, because the hotel was not close to being fully booked, and it seemed pretty empty. I didn't get it. As a Plat I always get suites IF they're available. He was acting as if a suite was never even an issue- that it would never happen. He kept looking at me funny, as if to say "How dare you ask for a suite?"

So, okay, no suites, I assumed. Then he handed me a piece of paper to fill out with my passport number and other info. I'd never done that before, not in Mexico or Europe, and I wondered why he needed my passport number. Then I noted that he had a very old address for me and I changed it for him. He handed me a key card in the Gold envelope. Ah ha, I thought, he thinks I am gold, not a Plat. I then said, "You DO know I am a Platinum SPG member, right?"

The look on his face said it all. "No," he said, "you're a Gold member with Starwood." I pulled out my card and handed it to him (so glad I had it with me!) and he looked at me as if I were trying to pull one over on him. He said he had to check with his manager. 2 minutes later he said that his manager and he couldn't find my Plat status anywhere. What? I told him to call SPG Elite Desk OR call the hotel I had just come from- Le Meridien Cancun- also a Starwood member. He shook his head as if to dismiss me. He handed me the gold key card holder again. He thought I was lying! Where did he think I got the card? I told him that I wanted this cleared up. They had my old address and my old SPG status. I produced proof of Plat status and he didn't want to acknowledge it.

After a few minutes of back and forth, I told him that I was very upset. He again went back through a door and came back within a minute. Now he had a junior suite available, but it had no balcony. Now, I didn't realize that he hadn't even considered the Royal Beach Club as far as a room or suite was concerned. I'd always been upgraded to those at the Puerto Vallarta Westin and the Los Cabos Westin. At this point, I'd forgotten about the RBC.

I told him that since I would only be there less than 24 hours, I'd take the room with the balcony instead of the junior suite. He repeated that he hadn't confirmed my Plat status but "just in case" he had me fill out the ammenity card, all the while telling me that I wouldn't get the points unless they concluded I WAS a Plat Member. He conceded to me access to the Club for appetizers between 5-8pm and sent me on my way. Without directions. The place is pretty big and they arrange it by having the 1st digit of the room number correspond with the building you're in. 1 is for the main building and 2 is for the Royal Beach Club. I was 1641- 6th floor room. It's been awhile since I stayed here and I got lost when one man told me that my room was in the basement- hey, by that time I would believe anything- and I ended up at the RBC where one of the men behind desks showed me to my room. It was back in the original building, NOT the RBC or the basement.

At that point I realized that they hadn't even upgraded me as far as the RBC and THAT upset me. The hotel was NOT full, nor even close to it. And I know for a fact that the suite near my room was unoccupied. It is the large suite that I used to stay in all the time back when the Westin there treated customers right.

I get to my room and it is exactly what I had reserved in the 1st place- where was the upgrade? It wasn't even a non-smoking room as there were ash trays all over the room. A King bed took up most of the room, there was a tiny area by the balcony with a desk and chair. No sofa or comfy chair. The walls were bare and the balcony was small. The bathroom was tiny and the shower was impossible! I had to take a luke warm shower that continually spurted cold water or hot water all over me. And while I had been given an invite to the RBC for drinks, I still wasn't an "official" Platinum member. When I had asked the man at the desk to call Starwood to confirm, he acted like he didn't understand me and kept referring to his "boss" who was in the room next to the desk. I GET that he saw me as Gold in the computer, though WHY it was listed that way, I don't know. But I had a Plat card in my hand and had stayed there as a Plat in the past!

I also got no recognition in the way of a bottle of water in the room or any acknowledgement. Thank God Meridien sent me a big bottle of water every night. I brought 2 with me so I had water. And there were no slippers in the room, either. Most of the resorts offer slippers b/c of the hard floors. No turn-down service, no newspaper, nothing that I got at Meridien did I get here. And the pool was tiny! There were two small pools, 1 with swim-up bar, and a very small area for chairs. The beach WAS nice, bigger than it had been before and the only thing here that was better than at the other hotel.

I used to think the Westin was one of the most impressive hotels in Cancun. Now it is mediocre at best with staff that just doesn't seem to give a hoot. I witnessed a room service worker chatting it up with housekeeping members in the hall and leaving his full cart sitting in the hall. No doubt that the food which was ON the cart covered only in plastic wrap ended up cold when it finally reached its destination. The bartenders at the pool bar between the ocean and the lagoon sides ignored me, literally, when I went to the bar for a drink. The waiter had not bothered to ask me if I wanted anything in over 40 minutes (a long time in that heat!) and I took matters into my own hands. STILL, the bartender ignored me and filled 6 orders before a nice couple next to me called him over on my behalf. I guess he didn't hear ME but came when they called. (Gave me time to hear their Westin Cancun horror story!)

The entire time I spent there I tried to just relax and deal. Maybe it is because I just came from a great hotel with staff who know me by name and treat me very well that I felt out of place at Westin. To be honest, I have stayed at over 30 hotels in Cancun and this was the only time I wished I could just go home early. And today I had to tell my colleague that I do NOT recommend this hotel for his convention and why.

The differences between LM and Westin in Cancun are great, IMO. LM welcomes a guest and makes her/him feel at home. They have up to date info in their computer and they always ask me if there is anything they can do to make me happy. Since they cover everything, I'm always happy there. LM has 3 gorgeous pools and lots of waiters rushing to and fro. I've never had to wait more than 5 minutes w/o being asked if I would like to order anything. The rooms are much nicer, with a turn-down service that leaves little cookies and asks if you need anything-soap, shampoo, anything. The doorman can tell you what a cab ride will cost you and since I stay frequently, they know me by name.

The rooms are so much nicer, with paintings on the walls and color coordinated pillows! As a Plat I have had a 100 percent upgrade success at LM, even when it is busy. I was their 1st Plat member when they joined Starwood and they still remember that. The upgrades are to suites which are newly decorated, with plush pillows, flat screen tvs and a DVD player in the living room. They also have a microwave and bar area and I've never been told I couldn't keep my own water and pop in the minibar fridge. There is a 2nd half bath in the living room and plush slippers for you to use and keep. They have Hermes products and even a bottle of perfume each time I stay.

I paid only $10 more a night for LM! I know they sometimes have a bigger gap in price, but I will forever think it is worth it. What kills me is that I used to stay at the Westin as often as I now do at LM. It USED TO BE a great hotel with a great staff. Now I am lucky to get the room I paid for, and they STILL didn't acknowledged that I am a Platinum SPG Member, or apologize. They finally gave me the amenity card and I chose points, but I was told they were giving it to me "just in case". They acknowledged that they had very old info in my file as they had my old address, but not that I was a Plat Member. Perhaps a different employee could have handled it better, but to be told that I am "only Gold" when I had a Plat card AND the Plat card holder from LM, well, it made me mad. And the small, plain room surprised me- what would I have been given before this supposed upgrade?

I will be checking my points to be sure I get them correctly and I do feel that I have settled the matter in my mind. I do not want to return to this Westin ever again, nor will I recommend it. I gave it 2 chances- when I came on the day they re-opened and today. Both stays were not up to standard. I would only recommend this hotel if you didn't plan on spending any time here. Some people base themselves here and take excursions to Playa Del Carmen or Cozumel or Tulum, etc. If all you want is a bed and bath, then this is okay. But if you want comfortable surroundings and employees who care about you and your day, stay at LM. I don't complain much and really, didn't expect the Westin to be as nice as LM. But I expected it to be up to standard.

Sadly, I cannot recommend this hotel. I was treated rudely (even the man in line behind me at the desk said so) and I heard a few stories out by the pool from Gold and Plat members who were disappointed in the hotel and said they didn't receive upgrades. Funny thing is, the hotel is far from full. Why not give people upgrades if they're available? I wasn't even upgraded to a room at the RBC!

It's been a long time since I was this disappointed in a Starwood hotel. I can only say that my 3 days at LM more than made up for the treatment I received here. I can't recall ever complaining of being treated badly at a Starwood hotel, but this really hurt and surprised me. And when I checked out, no one asked "how was your stay?" as is asked quite often. Boy, would I have given them an earful. I am surprised they were allowed to remain a Westin hotel, as most Westins are extremely nice.

I was so ready to fall in love with the Westin again, but sadly, I didn't. I wouldn't recommend this Westin to anyone. What a disappointment.
Old May 19, 2008, 5:12 pm

Programs: UA Million Miler, BonVoyLifetime Platinum, UA Platinum, President's Club,
I had to post again to say that the little man behind the big front desk must have finally figured out my Platinum Status as I noticed today that I was credited with the Plat amenity of 500 points. I wonder when and how he finally figured it out?
Old May 19, 2008, 5:17 pm
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Thank you for the thorough report.

FWIW, I have never been able to score an upgrade to a suite at this property even if they welcomed me as Plat
Old May 19, 2008, 5:58 pm

Thaliajen --

Thanks for taking the time to report your recent experience. I'll only add that a steady stream of posts in the past two years essentially confirm that this place has really settled into a pattern of mediocrity. It's not a bad property, but it surely is better aligned with the Sheraton brand than it is with the Westin brand -- and has been so for at least a decade.

Smart money has, for months, said that when the new Westin Laguna Mar hotel component is fully operational, this marginal Westin will be transformed into something else. I always assumed a Sheraton; but recent rumors are pointing towards the possibility of a W. Regardless, something really does need to change. It's a dated, awkward property.

My only other comment is some element of shock at your report of having been upgraded to suites at this property over the years -- even as a Gold. I don't have my files in front of me, but I have the room inventory roster for this place somewhere and they have precious few suites ... for anyone at any price. If you indeed were given a suite (and I'm not doubting you), then you were among the exceptionally lucky. I'd almost bet $1000 that there are fewer than ten on site.

Lastly, you couldn't be more correct in your kudos to the LM down the street. Starwood could use this property as a training property for their global brand. It's exceptionally well managed, the staff is tenured and trained well, and the guest rooms and public areas are impeccable. In sum, as a CAT4, it's surely among the best bargains in the SPG program. Thanks for taking the time to comment positively about this hotel, as well.
Old May 19, 2008, 6:42 pm

Thank-you. I actually wondered if I should post the info but I was so shocked at my treatment that I wanted to pass the info on to future guests. I really wonder if I am the only one who was treated so rudely at check-in.

As for my upgrades in the past- I wish I could find the photos of the suite they used to give me. It had double doors going in and a balcony and was extremely large. Now, let me say that I always, even as a Gold, asked about suite upgrades. And with this Westin, I got them. Maybe b/c I stayed so often?

I am sure I was very lucky with those upgrades, but it was pretty much off-season visits and I remember a very nice lady who worked there who remembered me and probably helped with the upgrades. I don't know for sure but I think I was in the Presidential Suite! One reason my memory is good about that hotel is that it had the best hot chocolate and breakfast buffet, and you had to ladle your cocoa from a hot pot into a cup. I also remember slipping on the stairs going from the restaurant to the beach/pool area.

I do feel badly that I cannot recommend this hotel any more, but as others have noted, it really isn't up to snuff. And LM has NEVER failed to make my trip wonderful. I am so glad they joined the Starwood family!
Old May 23, 2008, 7:38 am

Programs: SPG
$249 offer for 4 nights - need advice!

I received the $249 offer for 4 nights at the Westin Cancun. I can only go on school vacations (Feb and April) but can't book either of those for 2009 yet. I hesitated, but went ahead and signed up for the offer. They said there was no time share presentation. They charge my credit card $150 now, and $100 when I make my reservation. I had been planning on Feb, but I just looked at prices for this resort and the Le Meridian for April (Easter week) dates, and it was only $139-149 a night! Plus, I have been watching flights for Feb, and the prices have gone up alot in the last few weeks. It seems like April just opened up, and I can get great prices for April flights right now. I'm thinking I might be better off losing the $150 on the offer and booking for April. I also have a few free nights I can book with points regardless. Any thoughts?? (don't really want to go in the summer because we have a camp by a lake in the Adirondacks)
Old May 23, 2008, 8:03 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond; Marriott Platinum; SPG Gold; OnePass Gold; Avis President's Club
LM is definitely the nicer property - especially if you are travelling with family.

When I was in Cancun last July, I stayed the first 5 days at Westin and the last 2 at LM. My experience at Westin was much better than the one thaliajen had - I had just made Platinum and there was some confusion with my status, but they resolved it professionally and put me in the RBC. At LM, I did not get upgraded to a suite. So as with all this stuff, YMMV. If it was me and the difference between staying at LM and Westin was less than a couple hundred dollars, I would go with LM - but then again I do not spend alot of time in the actual hotel room.
Old May 23, 2008, 1:34 pm

- but then again I do not spend alot of time in the actual hotel room.
I don't spend a lot of time in my room, per se, either. However, I do spend a lot of time on property and that's where the LM shines all the brighter. The pool design, the restaurants, the phenomenal on site spa and gym, and the quality of the staff at the LM make it a dramatic standout compared to the only adequate Westin 4 miles down the road.

I don't want to come across as a nit-picker, and I totally understand that every person will have his or her own favorite hotels for completely different reasons. With that said, however, I am also aware that some folks have never been to CUN and are reading threads like these to determine where to stay. I can't say strongly enough that the Westin CUN is a solid property, i.e. it's not bad, but it's definitely below the standard for the overall Westin brand and always has been. They have summer rates sometimes around $100, however, and for that price, you'd be delighted.

It is my opinion, and the consensus of most on FT, that as a CAT4, the LM is one of the best award bargains left in North America. It's simply a top-quality facility at every level.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.