Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Westin Resort & Spa, Cancun, Mexico [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Westin Resort & Spa, Cancun, Mexico [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Nov 9, 2007, 5:39 am

Programs: Over-entitled UA 1.3MM Gold, AA Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott L-T Plat, Hertz PC
Unhappy

I called just after making my initial post to this thread.

First available arrival date was April 6th.
Nothing in February or March.
(Have not booked a room, yet.)

With taxes the rate is $390.80
Old Nov 9, 2007, 7:23 am

Programs: UA GOLD MM,WN CP A+list, HH Gold,MR LT Titanium
Originally Posted by Billiken
I called just after making my initial post to this thread.

First available arrival date was April 6th.
Nothing in February or March.
(Have not booked a room, yet.)

With taxes the rate is $390.80
I also received this invitation-there is no mention of a timeshare presentation requirement.

When you called to reserve,was there any mention of it at that time?

To any of you that have visited this property-is there a preferred time of year to be there or any specific times to avoid?I'm assuming hurricane season should be avoided,perhaps spring break also?
Old Nov 9, 2007, 8:25 am

Programs: SPG-Gold, Amex-Plat., AA-Plat.
Avoid hurricane season!! This hotel is fine for Spring Break, we stayed here
Spring Break about 4 years ago and had no problem with crowds or loud
groups. Its at the end, the very end of the hotel strip so its rather calm.
You take a bus into town but it stops right in front of the hotel. We got
a club room and it was very nice, beautiful ocean view, private pool for the
club building nice club room with breakfast and snacks and of course drinks!
Upgrade to it if you can, its very nice.

But again all this was befor the last hurricane which destroyed this hotel,
I have not stayed here since it reopened.
Old Nov 9, 2007, 10:26 am
Original Poster

Stayed there last fall after full reopening from hurricane damage. Great hotel, with the best part of the beach, IMHO. Staff is very friendly and that's a great rate. They didn't try and do a hard sell on the time shares when we were there.
Old Jan 7, 2008, 1:32 pm

I just received a similar offer today; $249 for 5 nights, no mention at all of anything having to do with a time share presentation. I'm already booked into another Cancun property for this year but am seriously considering this offer instead.

Can anyone confirm that this is a no-strings offer??
Old Jan 11, 2008, 10:35 am
Moderator, Marriott Bonvoy & FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United Silver; AA Plat/2MM; Marriott LT Titanium; Hilton Gold
I just received the same $249 offer. I called to talk with the rep and find out a little bit about the offer. According to the Rep, there is no "tour" required, though you are more than welcome to schedule one. The room is a normal hotel sized room and the rep stated that there are no room upgrades (paid or not.)

The "strings" that I can see are that you have to pay at least $200 of the cost upfront and the balance when you make the travel reservations. The "string" is that they only have a limited number of rooms that can be reserved. So if you don't make a reservation at the time of original payment, it might be possible to not be able to use the package before your year time limit is up. I did check a couple of possible dates for us (Aug. 7th, Oct. 8th, and Oct. 16th) and there is availability for those dates right now. I didn't check Summer dates (and there is a restriction that you can't book anything before June, 08.) It also looks like you can make a reservation up to about a year out. Right now possible reservations go out until Dec. 24th. (I didn't check to see if they had available rooms for that date though. )
Old Jan 11, 2008, 11:28 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond; Marriott Platinum; SPG Gold; OnePass Gold; Avis President's Club
The $249 for 5 nights is a great rate. I stayed here July 4th week of 2007 on a rewards stay. Was upgraded to a Royal Club? room because of Platinum. Liked the hotel. Definitely use the bus to get around. Its about a 15 minute ride to the main strip (Coco Bongo). Unless you are looking for a party hotel, you can't go wrong with this deal.

The only downside from my stay was the humidity in the room. The club rooms open directly to the outdoors, and are not sealed very well against outside humidity. I thought turning the AC colder would help, but there is no dehumidifier built into the AC so everything ended up very cold and clammy. I finally ended up not using the AC except when I wasn't in the room.
Old Feb 29, 2008, 8:56 am

4 night offer letter Westin Cancun - legit?

I recieved an offer letter from the Westin in Cancun for $249 for 4 nights.

It excludes holidays - is this a time share offer or something - seems to go to be true.

Has anyone else received this offer or gone to the resort?

Thanks
Old Feb 29, 2008, 9:58 am
Suspended

Programs: SPG Plat, HH Gold, United MP Premier, Alaska Air, BA, Qantas, ANZ
Originally Posted by bp traveler

It excludes holidays - is this a time share offer or something - seems to go to be true.

Thanks
Is there contact info on the letter?

I love to try that one myself, if it is legit.
Old Feb 29, 2008, 10:25 am
Flyertalk Evangelist and Moderator: Coupon Connection and Travel Products

Programs: Hilton Diamond, IHG Platinum Elite, Hyatt Discoverist, Radisson Elite
Originally Posted by bp traveler

Thanks
What did they say when you called to ask?
Old Feb 29, 2008, 10:51 am

DH and I each got one of the offers. One was to Mr & Mrs DH, and the other to Mr & Mrs Idranet (we have different last names). Both were identical, with the $249 for 4 nights offered. Sorry, though, didn't read the condition because I admit that I figured it was a timeshare promotion and didn't have the energy to deal with that. If one (or both) are still in the recycle bin, I'll check the details later.
Old Feb 29, 2008, 11:17 am

Programs: AA EXP MM, HHonors Lifetime Diamond, Marriott Lifetime Ti, UA Silver
I just did a similar thing at the Westin Aruba. 5 nights for about $500 net in February ^. GF got a post card in the mail and we called an booked it last summer. IIRC it was arranged through Starwood Vacation Properties. We didn't have to do any sort of timeshare presentation and there was none mentioned on the postcard or any of the follow up correspondence.
Old Feb 29, 2008, 11:45 am

Programs: SPG Lifetime Plat, UA 1K
Should be legit. I got a similiar offer around the end of the year and booked a stay for late in 2008. It was through Starwood Vacations.
Old Feb 29, 2008, 11:49 am
Suspended

Programs: SPG Plat, HH Gold, United MP Premier, Alaska Air, BA, Qantas, ANZ
Originally Posted by Idranet
DH and I each got one of the offers. One was to Mr & Mrs DH, and the other to Mr & Mrs Idranet (we have different last names). Both were identical, with the $249 for 4 nights offered. Sorry, though, didn't read the condition because I admit that I figured it was a timeshare promotion and didn't have the energy to deal with that. If one (or both) are still in the recycle bin, I'll check the details later.
Idranet:

If what the previous posters wrote is the case then if you find yours i would be glad to lighten your trash load.
Old Feb 29, 2008, 2:08 pm

Programs: Aadvantage, Skymiles, AlaskaAir, Starwood, Marriott
YES Legit BUT a Time Share

I got the same mailer, and yes it is totally legitimate. The Cancun property is new and they are trying to sell units. In order to get the promo you have to sit thru the 90 minute presentation, same as other time share deals thru Starwood. If you have interest in going to Cancun its a good value.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.