Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Which hotel in London ? [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Which hotel in London ? [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Jan 30, 2007, 9:48 am
Original Poster

Arrow Which hotel in London ? [Master Thread]

I have a few trips planned to central London in February to March and did a similar stint of trips last year. This includes weekday and weekend nights.

When I went to book my hotel stays today, after searching the forum for suggestions I didn't find many related promotions etc. Last year at this time there were some very good deals to be found at the Belgravia (my personal favorite).

Does anyone have any suggestions or comments?

The best value I found so far was an Endless Weekend promo rate of 169 GBP per night.

We won't mention the terrible Dollar to Pound exchange rate

Last edited by moremilesandpoints; Jan 30, 2007 at 9:55 am
Old Jan 30, 2007, 10:35 am

Programs: United GS, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Gold
I used the 50% Stapoint redemption offer for Plats and booked two nights at the Belgravia for 5,000 points each night in May.
Old Jan 30, 2007, 11:08 am

Programs: OW/AA, DL, UA; Marriott Titanium
I also did the SPG 50% points redemption offer for a stay at the Belgravia. Great property.

Considering how freaking expensive the central london hotels are, the 5K points/SPG 50%-off-offer is a GREAT way to go.

IF you're taking a day flight over to the UK, it's not a bad idea to just go ahead and snag one of the airport SPG's for that first night, since you're right there. There's plenty of posts about which one FTers prefer. MUCH cheaper than the central London hotels, you'll still at least get a stay credit, etc, then use your points for stays in central london over the weekend.

As for "cash & points", I don't think any of the central London hotels did that last year, and wouldn't expect it this year. I think only the Sheraton Heathrow did it last year, and it wasn't that great of a deal, not a huge savings over just grabbing a cheap rate there.
Old Jan 30, 2007, 3:57 pm

Programs: UAL 1K (1.6 Million Miles), Marriott Titanium Elite, Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Gold
Can you tell me more about the 50% off points award for Platinums? I'm Platinum and looking to make an award booking in London in May. Is this a current offer? If so, where is it on the website?

Thanks in advance.....
Old Jan 30, 2007, 7:30 pm

Originally Posted by smat
Can you tell me more about the 50% off points award for Platinums? I'm Platinum and looking to make an award booking in London in May. Is this a current offer? If so, where is it on the website?

Thanks in advance.....
I know there are a couple of threads on it here on the SPG forum that have people's expereinces in them. Or, just cal the Platinum Conierge # and say "I've heard there's this really cool offer going on now where you can book a hotel room for half the points? Can you tell me more?" I'll confess that this is what I did, as I had barely heard of the promo when I snagged my half-off night. I do recall that time is running out for booking it, tho. IIRC, you have to book it by sometime in Febuary I think, for any "stay" completed by May I think...someone please correct me if I'm wrong.

Just make sure it's NOT confused with the everyday SPG 50% off rack rate certs floating around. Differnet promo altogether.
Old Feb 2, 2007, 7:16 pm

Programs: UAL 1K (1.6 Million Miles), Marriott Titanium Elite, Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Gold
Thanks, I called and was eligible....booked 5 nights at the Park Lane in May. What a savings of points!!!

Now I just have to hope I get an upgrade......

I've had every conceivable type of room at the Park Lane in the past few years.....but I love the location over the Belgravia.....
Old Feb 2, 2007, 9:32 pm

You're a Plat, right? Put the request in the reservation. Another strategy I've seen posted here is that, when you get your confirmation e-mail, kindly reply to the person who's name appears to have sent it (sure, likely an "automated" thing, but often has a name of a staff member vs. just "The ___ Hotel" In it, you'll truly say: "I've heard great things about your hotel, looking forward to staying there." etc.

And, of course, ask at check-in, and/or ask if they've had any last minute cancellations for any of their suites.

As a Plat, I was upgraded to a spacious (for London standards) very nice upper floor corner suite. Had to 'ask' 'tho, as it was a cancellation from earlier that day. Even if you don't get a suite, you'll find the rooms--while a bit smaller than park lane--to be definitely an improvement, not as tired, worn, etc.
Old Feb 3, 2007, 6:01 am

Programs: AC, AA, SPG, Hilton
I thought the Park Lane is a Category 5 hotel now and the half points promo excludes hotel in that category and above. Good find.
Old Feb 3, 2007, 4:12 pm

Programs: UA MM/1K, SPG Lifetime Plat, Marriott Plat, Hyatt Diamond, HH Gold, Natl Exec Elite
Meridien Picadilly a Cat 6 now

One of the better jokes in the SPG system, frankly. It's a nice Cat 4 in every sense but the price.
Old Feb 4, 2007, 11:54 pm

Originally Posted by Scott218
I thought the Park Lane is a Category 5 hotel now and the half points promo excludes hotel in that category and above. Good find.
The Park Lane...a Cat 5?

Uh.....
Old Feb 6, 2007, 2:01 pm

I called before the reclassifaction, so got the Park Lane at the Cat 4 level of points (5 nights for 25,000 points vs. 50,000).

I'm a Platinum now....but come May when I'll be there, I'll be down to a lowly gold.

I'll try and send an email before my status drops and see about an upgrade.

The rates in London are so ridiculous that I'm actually going to branch out and stay at the City Inn Westminster over a weekend on this trip, as the rates there were much more palatable......I know the location is a bit off the beaten track, but I know my way around London's bus system, so should be OK.
Old Mar 4, 2007, 2:48 pm

Programs: Marriott Plat Premier/LT Plat; SPG Plat/LT Gold; Hilton Gold; Hyatt Plat
Help with London Hotel

I might be heading to London for a week and taking a course at the below address. I would prefer to stay at a Starwood hotel however can't figure out which Starwood hotel is closest to where I'll be at on a daily basis. Can anyone help me?

London School of Economics
and Political Science
Houghton Street
London WC2A 2AE
Old Mar 4, 2007, 3:19 pm

Programs: AA EXP/4MM, UA GS, AS MVP GOLD 75K
None of the Starwoods are extremely close to your location in London. I believe Le Meridien Picadilly will be closest, but not necessarily most convenient.

Try using google maps UK
Old Mar 4, 2007, 3:54 pm
Moderator: GLBT travelers, India-based Airlines and India; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Yes!
Le Meridien Piccadilly or the Sheraton Park Lane would be your best bet.

There are a couple of direct buses between those hotels and Aldwych (outside the Waldorf). Journey time is around 15-20 minutes dependant on traffic. LSE is a 2 minute walk from the Waldorf.
Old Mar 27, 2007, 9:28 pm

Help with London Hotel

I am traveling to London soon, and I have reserved a room at the Park Lane Hotel for 9 nights. I used 96,000 Starwood Points to "pay" for the room. When I placed the reservation online there was a form to fill out that included number of adults. As my wife and I and our 9 & 11 year old daughters were traveling I put 2on the form.
Once the reservation was confirmed I sent an email to the hotel requesting a roll away bed for my daughters. The reply I recieved from the Park Lane stated my resereved room was not eledgible for a rollaway bed.
I called the Park Lane front desk and ask the MOD to upgrade my room to a room that would acept a roll away bed. The MOD informed me that the laws of Britain state that only 3 people can occupy a hotel room. He stated that I could upgrade to a suite or get an adjoining room for another 96,000 Stawood Points.
Give me a break! I need to book an extra room for my 9 & 11 year old daughters? Does anyone have any helpful advice? At this point I'm going to "smuggle" one of the girls into the room.
I have 636,000 Starwood Points left on my account, if this is what I can expect when using them I will be dropping Starwood like a dirty shirt when the points are gone.

Thanks, Jim

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.