Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Which hotel in London ? [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Which hotel in London ? [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Aug 3, 2008, 1:57 am

Programs: 2mm+ UAL | Lifetime Titanium Marriott | Globalist Hyatt | SpireElite IHG
Ended up doing the 4nights points/5th night free package, and pushed for studio suite at ParkLane. I sent my UK PA around to several of the properties and had her speak to the shift supervisor, look at rooms they'd offer, etc., and she seemed to think that the PL was the way to go.

The hotel GM has called, as had the Starwood Plat concierge, and they've insisted they'll do right by me. Since this is a points stay, not a revenue based on, I'd have to admit to being a bit flattered and impressed.

I'll stop by the other properties while I'm there as well, and try to provide a current update!
Old Aug 7, 2008, 2:20 pm

Programs: 2mm+ UAL | Lifetime Titanium Marriott | Globalist Hyatt | SpireElite IHG
Park Lane (Aug08)

did 4nights w points, 5th night free, 14.5k/nt for Studio Suite.

Got room 722 a smallish but totally brand new renovated suite in it's own little hallway. Absolutely satisfied. Saw nothing that makes this property feel tired, other than the very small elevators. The lounge area is lovely, and reminds me a good deal of the Palace in SFO (as I stated prior in thread).

I did go down to Le Meridien for a bit, and is *much* nicer, but for 58,000 points I got a quite nice room with excellent service for an entire week, while a basic room at LM would have run 80,000.
Old Feb 21, 2009, 3:41 pm

Programs: SVO - WKORV, WPORV, WKV, WSJ
With the upcoming SPG Catagory change - what would be a better stay for 2 adults on vacation (SPG Gold) in London - the Park Tower (Cat 6), or Park Lane (soon Cat 4)?

Any other advice is welcome? TIA

Last edited by bluztuzumab; Feb 22, 2009 at 3:29 pm
Old Feb 21, 2009, 5:32 pm
tnw

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy LTTE, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt
Originally Posted by bluztuzumab
With the upcoming SPG Catagory change - what would be a better stay for 2 adults on vacation (SPG Gold) in London - the Park Tower (Cat 6), or Park Lane (soon Cat 5)?

Any other advice is welcome? TIA
Actually the Park Lane is moving down to a category 4, which would be half the amount of points as the Park Tower. I think I would book my stay at the Park Lane and upgrade to an Executive Room or Junior Suite using additional points (not much more). I know some people have negative comments about the Park Lane, but we have always had decent rooms. (Unless of course, you have a ton of points, then it doesn't really matter

Have a wonderful time in London.
Old Feb 22, 2009, 3:28 pm

Thanks - I did get the Cat change wrong. Someone else (on TUG) gave me the same advice - I think I will do this on March 2.
Old May 8, 2009, 12:39 pm

Programs: SPG plat, Mar plat, Hyatt plat, Amtrak sel+, AA gold, Hilton gold, Hertz Pres Circle
I have read through pages and pages of reviews of London hotels now, but a lot of the feedback is dated now.

So this is a shamelss bumpup in hopes that someone will have opinions based on recent stays.

My husband and I are going to London for a 3 day weekend and have never been there. We arrive Sat. early AM and leave Monday late evening. I plan on using SPG's current free weekend night promo to cover the stay so the points category is not an issue.

We would like to be at a nice hotel in a location that allows us to easily move around London with the hotel as home base, but know nothing about the area.

Any suggestions?
Old May 8, 2009, 2:30 pm

Programs: UA GS 2MM, SPG Plat
From a location point of view, all are in the Green Park / Buckingham Palace area. I've stayed at four of them (in order worst to favorite) (Note I am a platinum)

Le Meridian: Tired rooms, noisy - on the other hand, closest to the theatre district.

Park Lane: Mixed bag of rooms here - I have gotten incredible suites on some trips and on other trips room is on par with LM. Nice location across from Green Park. Try to get a room on a higher floor (3 or above and I don't notice the traffic noise.)

Belgravia: My default choice - set in a quiet neighborhood a short walk from Harrods and Sloane Square. Rooms and bathrooms are small but well maintained. Extremely friendly and personable staff.

Park Tower: The nicest of the 4 from a room perspective but I have not had that welcoming feeling that I get at the Belgravia.

Hope this helps
Old May 8, 2009, 9:40 pm

Programs: UA - 1K 1MM; Hyatt - Explorist; Marriott - Lifetime Titanium
I believe that the Free Weekend Promo includes up to Category 6, so all of the city hotels are in play (except for the Lanesborough which doesn't participate in SPG). I've spent about 50 nights in London over the past 6 months and have stayed at all 4 SPG earning properties in the city. The hotels are actually clustered relatively close together with the Le Meridien and Park Lane being near St. James park and the Sheraton Park Tower and Sheraton Belgravia near Hyde Park. For a weekend, my choice would be:

1) Sheraton Park Tower - Clearly the best rooms of the bunch, they are on the small side (think average by London terms), but well appointed. The staff level here is average and upgrades are tough to come by. You may want to try to request a butler room at check in as it comes with some very nice perks. The hotel is right on top of both the tube (Piccadilly Line) and great shopping in the form of Harrod's and Harvey Nichols.

2) Le Meridien Piccadilly - Try to score a renovated room, they're probably the second best option of the London Starwoods, the non-renovated rooms are pretty bad and not as nice as you'd find at the Sheraton Belgravia. The staff levels here have really been upgraded and they do a nice job. You stand a good shot of an upgrade as a Platinum. If you're Platinum you can access the very nice lounge that they recently opened. They've done a great job with this, it's open all day and provides an excellent breakfast and evening hors d'oeuvres (light snacks are actually available all day) as well as free internet. I'm not sure if it's open on the weekend, so you may want to check ahead. It's also right on top of the Piccadilly line and as the name suggests, is in Piccadilly Circus - it's a VERY touristy area, but near many of the major sites, you can walk to Trafalgar Square in about 5 minutes, be sure to visit Fortnum & Mason for a great shopping experience.

3) Sheraton Belgravia - The rooms here are not as great as the renovated Le Meridien Rooms, but better than the non-renovated rooms. If you don't want to roll the dice, this isn't a bad option. You'll stand a good chance of an upgrade here as a Platinum. No lounge or freebes here, but they do take care of the guests. Drawback is that it's going to be about a 10 minute stiff walk to get to the nearest tube stop (Piccadilly Line), although not terribly far from Buckingham Palace. Belgravia is a nice area with good shops and a great variety of restaurants.

4) Park Lane - please, please, please do not waste your free weekend at this atrocious property. The rooms are nothing short of appalling and when combined with a lackluster staff will quickly make for a trip you'll regret. I will admit that it's a grand old dame of a building with a nice park location, but this facility needs to be gutted and rehabbed. Yes, you'll see lots of black tie events here taking place in the stunning ballroom - but you're not sleeping the ballroom. The Park Lane is situated relatively evenly between two tube stops (both on the Piccadilly line) so not as convenient as the Park Tower or Le Meridien. Expect a 10 minute walk at a relaxed pace.

I do have some good guest services contacts at both the Park Tower and Le Meridien if you decide to go that direction. Will be glad to share their info via PM if you decide to stay at one of these properties.
Old May 9, 2009, 10:29 am
Suspended

My suggestion would be (in order):

Park Tower

Le Meridien

(Park Tower is a nicer hotel but I think the location and lounge at LM makes it a very close second choice. I would be very happy in either. Actually the lounge might now tip the balance towards the LM)

Belgravia

Park Lane
Old May 11, 2009, 7:58 pm

Programs: UA GS 2MM, SPG Plat
Smile

Originally Posted by Destina_Flyer
My suggestion would be (in order):

Park Tower

Le Meridien

(Park Tower is a nicer hotel but I think the location and lounge at LM makes it a very close second choice. I would be very happy in either. Actually the lounge might now tip the balance towards the LM)

Belgravia

Park Lane
I guess I need to revisit LM in London given both of the OP rated it much more highly than I did...
Old May 18, 2009, 3:47 pm

Programs: SPG plat, Mar plat, Hyatt plat, Amtrak sel+, AA gold, Hilton gold, Hertz Pres Circle
Thank you for your feedback. I decided on Le Meridian and then realized that it's sold out for one night. I think that hurts my upgrade odds, even if it does open up. I have the Park Tower on hold, but will be checking for openings.

Thanks for the thoughts and excellent analysis!
Old May 30, 2009, 4:08 pm

Programs: AC LT E50K; AC*MM; SPG LT Gold
My 2c: The Belgravia is as everyone has said. The only downside is the walk from the tube and the fact that it is in a residential (actually Embassy) district, so it's a hike to the nearest shop/pub. But on my last stay I got a very nice suite. I don't like the Park Tower. It's nice enough, but not super friendly. My favourite is actually the Park Lane. I've been upgraded to a suite/very large room every time I've been there, and the location is excellent. There's a great range of restaurants and pubs behind the hotel in Shepherd Market. So far, I've not stayed at Le Meridien, but I'll give that a try next time.
Old Jul 6, 2009, 6:16 pm

Programs: AA-LTP, HH-DIA, Marriott-LT+AMB, Hyatt-Globalist, Hertz-PC, UA-GS
Ive stayed at all of them before as well and am in the same boat, gonna burn some free nights. I think the LM is going to be the choice for me, esp with the lounge. I gotta figure where Whitehall Palace is and find a close property.
Old Jul 9, 2009, 1:49 pm
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club

Programs: Battleaxe Alliance
After trying all four at least twice except for Belgravia, I'm going to stick to Park Tower.

Just the run down, in the order of preference (and mostly discusses standard rooms):

Park Tower: its location suits me (Harvey Nichols and Harrods are nearby), as well as the rooms being of consistently acceptable size and quality. At least I do not have a risk of having an 'awful room'. While it doesn't have a lot of charm or warmth, I'd rather have a decent room. Can't get an upgrade very easily but all rooms are OK so it doesn't really matter. It is by no means outstanding, but I have never encountered a below standard room there.

Le Meridien at Piccadilly: Rooms are too inconsistent. Although renovated one is quite nice (although a little too modern for my liking), the horrible one (non-renovated one) is pretty horrible, and can be very small. Lounge is nice and the location is good and very convenient (although not as quiet) and most staff are nice, but it is severely let down by some of the rooms which are pretty bad. If you choose to stay there, I would recommend requesting a renovated room. If I could guarantee a renovated room of decent size, I would consider staying there again.

Sheraton Park Lane: standard rooms are too tired. Some very, very dark bathrooms (in desperate need of renovation) there. Heating often did not work properly although a portable heater was provided promptly. Executive rooms are fine though (although still not particularly great), so if you do decide to stay there, I would recommend booking an executive room.

Sheraton Belgravia: I had a very bad stay at Belgravia. A bad stay would have been quite tolerable and I'd have given it another chance, but given the handling of my complaint about the bad stay, I will not stay there again unless this is the only London Starwood property for the night I need a room. There is also a very, very small room where you can barely turn around with your suitcase - the bed almost fills the whole room. Heating did not work properly (my pet hate), although a portable heater was provided promptly. However, generally I find that standard rooms are of better standards than Park Lane.

To be honest, I think the only hotel that I would be quite happy to call 'consistently decent standard' is Park Tower. Of course, it costs more than the others, but to me, it's worthwhile to pay more and be guaranteed a decent stay.
Old Jul 10, 2009, 4:23 pm

We will be staying at the Park Lane at the end of August on SPs (5th nite free) and we used SPs to upgrade our room to the following:

1 King+1 Single Sofa Bed
Studio Suite-non-smoking, Sweet Sleeper Bed, Walk-in Wardrobe, 32 Hd Flat Tv/entrnment System, Wi-fi Internet For A Fee, Large Open Plan Suite, Personally Designed With Stunning City Views, Marble Bathroom With Walk-in Shower

We originally were going with the Park Tower, but the difference in SPs was large. We used 48K SPs for the upgraded Park Lane room (40K + 8K for room upgrade) whereas the Park Tower was costing 80K SPs - for a difference of 32K SPs. This difference to us was worth having the downgrade in hotel quality. I have read the FT reviews and threads so I am going in knowing the downsides.

My question is for those familiar with the Park Lane - for this type of room at the Park Lane (Studio Suite) which rooms or floors should I attempt to request beforehand?

TIA

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.