Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Starwood | Starwood Preferred Guest
Reload this Page >

[Gone] Le Meridien Excelsior La Gallia - Milan [Has Left Starwood]

[Gone] Le Meridien Excelsior La Gallia - Milan [Has Left Starwood]

Old Sep 15, 2007, 1:52 pm
Original Poster

Programs: EX˛-*wood platinum, EX-hyatt diamond, sixt platinum, hilton silver, leaders club, esselunga verde...
Arrow [Gone] Le Meridien Excelsior La Gallia - Milan [Has Left Starwood]

When does this hotel close for reconstruction and modernization?

A few weeks ago I can't book any date in 2008 and now I can.

What's going on?!
Old Feb 21, 2008, 11:47 pm
Original Poster

Programs: EX˛-*wood platinum, EX-hyatt diamond, sixt platinum, hilton silver, leaders club, esselunga verde...
I like this hotel. It will be closed end of this year or at the beginning of the next year for a complete reconstruction and modernization. The exact date is at the moment unknown. In march it will become a cat. 5 instead of 4.

The kitchen is good and they have also a fine winecard. For breakfast there are three posibilities: a la carte, continental ( 23 € ) or buffet ( 33 € ).
There are two wings at the hotel. A historic wing and a new wing. I prefer the historic wing with the big marble baths. The rooms are from the first up to the sixth floor. If you like light in the room through the windows, the you should not take a room in the sixth floor, because there are only little windows. I prefer third, fourth or fifth floor. I also prefer rooms versious the place in front of the station. In the historic wing you can open the windows widely and some room have even an balcony, in the new wing the windows open just a little bit and you have to fix them. As a platinum you get normaly a good upgrade ( even suites ), except - like me - you prefer special rooms and they know this. There are older and newer rooms. All with ac. The shower is normaly in the bath tub.

For me the hotel and the location is fine. Parking is no problem, the subway is quite near. 1 € for 75 min.
Old Feb 22, 2008, 1:49 pm

Programs: UA Plat MM, AA Gold MM, Marriott LTT, Hyatt Globalist
I was there in Oct. '07 for 3 nights. I was upgraded to a 2-room suite as a Plat (without asking), 3rd floor right above the hotel entrance. The room definitely needed renovation. I don't know if this was only for the suites, but there were the usual Le Meridien amnities, then there were additional Hermes amenities. The SPG buy two get one night free deal worked out very well, considering that SPG hotels in Milan were all relatively high priced.

The location is right next to the train station and quite a ways from the Cathedral and main shopping areas in city center, but only a few subway stops, and in reasonable walking distance. It's actually more convenient getting to and from the airport. The airport bus stop is on the other side of the train station, a little walk.

There are a few restaurants across the square, including a very nice and inexpensive pizza place that had tourists from all over Europe.

I would recommend this hotel, especially after renovations.
Old Feb 24, 2008, 8:54 am

Programs: BA,LH,CX,EK SPG,IC mainly and a few others
Stayed there early Feb, got upgraded to a suite as Plat. Nothing untoward to report- seems business as usual. very good location especially if you want to take the subway around/ take airport shuttle to MXP.
Old Oct 30, 2008, 12:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: A festering pit; a pustule of a fistula set athwart the miasmic swamps of the armpit of the Gulf of Mexico - a Godforsaken wart upon a dark crevasse of the World. (IAH)
Programs: UA Lifetime Gold, BA Silver, Marriott Lifetime Plat, Hilton Gold, Accor Gold
Le Meridien Gallia Milan

Every thread referencing this hotel appears to be a comparison thread ("Which SPG Property in Milan?"), and there is no link to a master thread for this property in the sticky at the top of the forum. Accordingly, I thought I would start a thread for this hotel to kick-off a photo report from a quick overnight stay I had there back in July.

My flight into MXP arrived after 10pm, and on the eve of a rail strike. Thankfully, the Malpensa Shuttle offered a convenient way to get to the hotel, offering bus service to Central Station (which is adjacent to the hotel). The transfer takes about 40 minutes, even late at night and without traffic. As I arrived at the hotel very late, I didn't inquire regarding an upgrade, but I'm fairly certain I was upgraded from a standard to a deluxe room. The furnishings in the bedroom did seem a bit dated, but the bed was very comfortable, and the marble bathroom was very nice.

I didn't have much of a chance to interact with hotel staff, as I had a morning flight back out of Malpensa the next day. However, the stay was pleasant, and definitely a notch above the abysmal experience I had at the Sheraton Diana Majestic two years ago (surly staff and an "upgrade" to a very grotty room where half the lights and electrical plugs didn't work).

The photos below give a good impression of what a Deluxe Room at the Gallia looks like.

The Front of the Hotel, as Seen from Central Station

The Bedroom

The Bathroom - Loads of Marble & Glass!
Old Oct 31, 2008, 4:14 pm
abk

Programs: AA LT Plat/8.1mm now with 1350 miles left in my account and proud of it.. SPG LT Titanium.
it is interesting to see how two people can see the same two hotels so differently. i think for your purposes ( a one night stay and out in the am )the le meridien is perfect as it is so close to the train station. i stayed their for 3 days and two nights and found the hotel fine but a little worn. nice room and amenity but all this was outweighed by the area. at night the area around the station is a bit problematic. on the other hand, i have been staying fairly regularly at the diana majestic for 20 years now and i find it a wonderful place. granted it may be that at this point i grew up with some of the front office managers and concierges but they bend over backwards to make sure i have a great room and anything else i need. give it another chance sometime.
Old Oct 31, 2008, 5:27 pm
Original Poster

Talking

Yes it is indeed interesting. I don't know exactly how often I have stayed at the Excelsior Gallia in the last years, but I never ever had problems with the area around. I have parked all the time the car in front of the hotel and nothing ever happens at all. Even if I walked at night around the block there was no problem. If I am in milano there is my place and my home.

On the other hand the zone near the Diana Majestic also isn´t so sure. 4 or 5 years ago a nice guy made a nice whole in my tyre while I was waiting for green at a traffic light.

By the way congratulations, on tuesday the 28th of october 2008 was the 100th birstday of the Diana Majestic. I read that at the corriere della sera last monday while I was staying - surprise surprise - at the Excelsior Gallia.

Found the article:

http://www.corriere.it/vivimilano/cr...el_diana.shtml

Tanti auguri per te!!! Happy birstday to you!!!

Last edited by Forstbetrieb; Nov 2, 2008 at 3:31 pm
Old Oct 31, 2008, 8:13 pm

Programs: UA Plat MM, AA Gold MM, Marriott LTT, Hyatt Globalist
The bathroom looks great. I stayed in a suite a year ago. The living room was very old and tired with peeling wallpaper, and the bathroom was nothing like in the pictures. I also found the area around the hotel to be fine. It was actually conveniently located next to the train station for the MXP bus.
Old Nov 12, 2008, 3:58 am

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Ambassador, Hyatt Diamond, American Platinum
I stayed at Gallia last week for 6 nights for work. I am a platinum guest and was not upgraded. I received a room very much like the one with the pictures posted above. The hotel is very tired. TV is small and very poor reception. The bathroom, while large and loads of marble, is also very tired. The climate controls are a joke. The hotel is either all heated or all air conditioned. My room was way too hot. Front desk would do nothing about it. I opened the window - which is nice to be able to do, but the cable cars outside are very loud all night long. Also, they have been turning off the power during the middle of the day in preparation for the renovations.

This hotel has great potential and is in a great, historic building. However, I would avoid this hotel until the renovations are complete.
Old Feb 28, 2009, 6:20 pm

Has anyone stayed here recently or anyone have information about the hotel's renovations.
Old Mar 15, 2009, 12:44 pm

Programs: AA 2.2MM LT Plat, Hilton Diamond, Marriott/SPG Platinum
We stayed here a couple nights last week, and were really impressed. They had just been downgraded from Category 5 to Category 4 and they had Cash & Points available, so we got it for a nightly rate of $60 US + 4k Starpoints. (Valuing Starpoints at 2.5 cents, that's about $160 US, which is about half of the lowest available rate of about 250 EUR.)

The room was spacious, the staff was friendly and helpful, the bathroom was extravagant, and the location right next to the rail station was incredibly convenient. I had read that it wasn't in the best area, but it seemed fine to me.
Old Mar 18, 2009, 5:16 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by WScottsdaleInsider
Has anyone stayed here recently or anyone have information about the hotel's renovations.
I have a stay there last weekend. For the moment the beginning of the big renovation ( the whole hotel will be renovated ) is not fixed. I will be back there in april. If I hear something new, I will post here.

Last edited by Forstbetrieb; Mar 18, 2009 at 5:29 am
Old Mar 18, 2009, 5:24 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by MichaelColey
I had read that it wasn't in the best area, but it seemed fine to me.
Long time ago there was a problem with drugs etc. in this area. Now the zone is 24 h of the day under control of police and since last year also military, like all other big important places in milan ( duomo, scala etc. ) and in the rest of italy.

Last edited by Forstbetrieb; Mar 18, 2009 at 5:31 am
Old Mar 30, 2009, 10:35 pm

Programs: Bonvoy LTT; IHG DiamondAmb; WoH Globalist; UA1K2MM; NationalEE; AvisPC; HertzPC
I'm going to spend 2 nights at this property next weekend. Does anyone know if there is any supermarket or department store nearby? Any good gelato to try? Are there any discount outlets for designer goods within walking distance (or near a Metro station)?
Old Mar 31, 2009, 12:50 pm
Original Poster

There is a little supermarket in the central station. If you go out of the gallia go left and follow the left side of the station. Roundabout 30 meters from the corner there is the entrance.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.