Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Westin Melbourne, Victoria, Australia [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Apr 17, 2019, 3:50 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: margarita girl
Hotel email: [email protected]
Print Wikipost

Westin Melbourne, Victoria, Australia [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Mar 23, 2009, 3:49 am
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club

Programs: Battleaxe Alliance
Originally Posted by Starwood Lurker II
But it's difficult convince people to believe that... well...
Not that I disbelieve you, thanks for clarifying that all guests receive the same level of service.

I guess there are variables between the 'crew' that are on duty at the time.
Old Apr 4, 2009, 7:27 pm

Programs: SPG GL, AA GL
Any good restaurants recommendation? Within walking distance?
THanks.
Old Apr 4, 2009, 10:12 pm

Programs: DJ, QF, SPG, Hilton
Do a search at the AU/NZ & South Pacific forum here. Given the Westin's location, most places are walkable.
Old Jun 8, 2009, 4:29 pm

Programs: UA (1MM); SPG Plat
Just spent one night at Westin Melbourne. Upgraded to a Deluxe King as SPG Plat (studio's were all gone). Was assigned a room on 5th floor near the elevator toward Flinders Lane and not Collins. Got a great view of the cafe downstairs. The room is spacious and comes with two complementary water.

Utilized the Airbus one way for $16AUS or $26 round trip. It was pretty easy, the shuttle bus dropped us off in front of hotel (we were the second stop after Novotel).

Was able to use the internet at the business center on 1st Floor for free (superslow).

Took a Platinum Taxi service back to the airport (give the drive $55 AUS), the meter read $47.30 but was quoted $51.30 (I guess a $4.00 surcharge for the Platinum Mercedes service).
Old Jun 9, 2009, 6:38 pm
Moderator: Asiana & Qantas Frequent Flyer
Aman Contributor Badge

Programs: QF Lifetime SG, LH HON, OZ Lifetime Diamond +, HH Diamond, Marriott Lifetime Platinum
Originally Posted by sink
Took a Platinum Taxi service back to the airport (give the drive $55 AUS), the meter read $47.30 but was quoted $51.30 (I guess a $4.00 surcharge for the Platinum Mercedes service).
The $4 shouldn't have been for the car. Usually it can be for tolls etc. but the toll to the airport is not $4 but something like $3.38 or $5.50.
Old Sep 12, 2009, 10:35 pm

Thumbs up You never know who you end up meeting Keith?

In the middle of a 3 night stay using my 9FWN awards up.Staying in a very comfortable Cnr Studio overlooking Swanston St.
Yesterday while visiting reception looked to my left and QF009 was checking in doing the same thing...using up 9FWN award nights before they expire!
Introduced to his partner and his partners parents.
Very much enjoying my break in this well run and comfortable Starwood Hotel^
Old Sep 13, 2009, 2:46 am

Originally Posted by aussiechris
In the middle of a 3 night stay using my 9FWN awards up.Staying in a very comfortable Cnr Studio overlooking Swanston St.
Yesterday while visiting reception looked to my left and QF009 was checking in doing the same thing...using up 9FWN award nights before they expire!
Introduced to his partner and his partners parents.
Very much enjoying my break in this well run and comfortable Starwood Hotel^
Haha yes it was great bumping into you Chris. I figured out straightaway you were someone from FT or AFF when you yelled my handle out at the front desk. It is a sick hotel indeed, and my partner's parents totally loved their first experience even though we had a regular room rather than a corner studio this time - we did check in too early anyway and I was surprised the rooms were ready so quickly. The hotel is within good staggering distance from some of our fave bars (1806, Spice Market, Long Room, Silk Road etc). And we're back next weekend!

Last edited by Keith009; Sep 13, 2009 at 2:54 am
Old Sep 13, 2009, 11:03 am

Originally Posted by adamak
Any good restaurants recommendation? Within walking distance?
THanks.
Sorry just saw this (don't venture into this thread much given I actually live in Melbourne and am hence not a frequent guest at this property by any means!). If you've yet to make your trip and for the benefit of anyone staying here in future, there is a superb restaurant just behind the hotel on Flinders Lane called Ezards. It's at the basement of the Adelphi hotel. Cuisine is contemporary Australian so if you're into Asian fusion you'll love this place. Their degustation menu is super value, and there's a lot of interesting stuff on the wine list.
Old Sep 13, 2009, 2:40 pm

Programs: Miles&More Senator , EX-SPG Platinum now Bonvoy LTP, IC Platinum , Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Globalist
Thanks for your restaurant tip. We will stay in Melbourne 11 to 13 Feb 2010.
Our first visit to Australia and I hope I'll love it.
Old Sep 19, 2009, 8:03 pm

The boyf and I are here for yet another free weekend night - the last of 'em alas.

Is it just our imagination or do the beds feel much too firm and un-Heavenly this time around? We checked the mattress - it's still a Sealy. And so we can only conclude that they've reduced the bed paddings - there is really no padding to speak of apart from the mattress protector and the top sheet. None of that "meringue effect" you're supposed to see on a Heavenly Bed. I hope this Westin is not one of those allowed by Starwood to drop a star!

A nice staycation otherwise. Last night's festivities ended at the Martini Bar where we had one yummy cocktail too many and it means unless they change the menu in future I've now gone through the entire cocktail menu. I recommend Toffee Apple and Honey Bear! Also for the benefit of anyone staying here in future - ask the concierge for directions to misty place at Hosier Lane, it's just around the corner and makes the bestest mojitos, like, ever!!

Last edited by Keith009; Sep 19, 2009 at 8:09 pm
Old Sep 20, 2009, 6:07 am
Moderator: Asiana & Qantas Frequent Flyer
Aman Contributor Badge

Programs: QF Lifetime SG, LH HON, OZ Lifetime Diamond +, HH Diamond, Marriott Lifetime Platinum
Originally Posted by QF009
The boyf and I are here for yet another free weekend night - the last of 'em alas.

Is it just our imagination or do the beds feel much too firm and un-Heavenly this time around? We checked the mattress - it's still a Sealy. And so we can only conclude that they've reduced the bed paddings - there is really no padding to speak of apart from the mattress protector and the top sheet. None of that "meringue effect" you're supposed to see on a Heavenly Bed. I hope this Westin is not one of those allowed by Starwood to drop a star!
The beds at the Westin Melbourne are a bit firmer maybe but they are still the same outstanding quality as elsewhere.
Old Sep 20, 2009, 10:10 am

Originally Posted by DownUnderFlyer
The beds at the Westin Melbourne are a bit firmer maybe but they are still the same outstanding quality as elsewhere.
But on previous stays (have stayed here on special occasions and when a/c breaks down over summer) the beds felt a lot softer, and before this stay I had rated the Westin Melbourne as having some of the best beds around! Previously you could simply jump in, sink into the ultra soft beds, drift off in no time, and refuse to wake up in the morning... this time the bed felt distinctly firmer and I woke up with a slightly sore back. And no I wasn't having a hangover!

Anyway, I queried this when we checked out and the front desk agent said that they had both "new" and "old" Heavenly Beds... Humph.

Last edited by Keith009; Sep 20, 2009 at 10:22 am
Old Sep 30, 2009, 9:15 pm

Programs: AA EXP, SPG PLAT, PC PLAT
I am just arriving at the Westin Melbourne as a PLAT and am disappointed that there is no club lounge! I am waiting for a suite that should be available around 4:30pm. Hopefully I am at least getting the room upgrade although no free food... lol
Old Dec 19, 2009, 7:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by SanDiego1K
Has anyone stayed both here and the Park Hyatt on Parliament Square? Could you compare

I've always had good stays at the Park Hyatt. I get upgraded to massive rooms, get to use their executive lounge, and get breakfast comped. I was thinking of trying this property as I have the impression that the location might be a bit better. However, recent reviews seem somewhat lukewarm compared to earlier ones.
Any new thoughts on the same choice?
Top tier in both and Hyatt guarantees free breakfast, lounge and internet. Westin from what I see has none of the above. Other than a slightly better location is there a reason to stay at the Westin?
I may end up splitting my stay between the two as I have an asia-pacific promo night to burn and this may be my only chance.
Old Jan 10, 2010, 2:01 am

I had a three-night stay here last week, and was upgraded to a Deluxe King facing Flinder's Lane (no studios showed available on spg.com). All-in-all, was very impressed by the hotel. Large, comfortable rooms, great bathrooms and showers and a good fitness facility (access from the set of elevators closest to Collins only). Sure, its an old style television, but I'm sure those will be replaced soon enough.

Where the hotel really shone though, though, was with the staff. Everyone was friendly and, well, hospitable, from the front desk staff to the doormen to the manager that I saw interacting with guests several times in the lobby and wished me off on departure. Can't say enough good things about this group of people.

One small suggestion for the hotel, which is really very minor and doesn't take away from a great stay that I had... the hotel has a newspaper request tag that is hung outside the door if you would like a paper delivered overnight. I noticed that housekeeping put them back inside everyday, meaning I had to remember to put it back outside each night. It would be really nice that if a guest hangs the tag outside, its just left outside for the duration of the stay. Its a good bet that if a guest wants a paper on morning one, he'll want one on subsequent mornings as well... again not a big deal, but an easy fix for the hotel.

Again, a great stay, and I'd recommend this place to anyone.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.