Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Westin Melbourne, Victoria, Australia [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Apr 17, 2019, 3:50 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: margarita girl
Hotel email: [email protected]
Print Wikipost

Westin Melbourne, Victoria, Australia [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Dec 1, 2008, 12:22 pm
Community Director Emerita

Has anyone stayed both here and the Park Hyatt on Parliament Square? Could you compare

I've always had good stays at the Park Hyatt. I get upgraded to massive rooms, get to use their executive lounge, and get breakfast comped. I was thinking of trying this property as I have the impression that the location might be a bit better. However, recent reviews seem somewhat lukewarm compared to earlier ones.
Old Dec 1, 2008, 10:56 pm

Programs: AC SE MM, Marriott Lifetime Titanium, Hyatt Globalist
Twice I've been here and both times gotten an upgrade to a Studio room which is fantastic (corners of the hotel, huge bathroom & bedroom) - after specifically asking for the room by name.

The hotel has very few suites so suite upgrades apparently don't happen for Plats, but the best thing this hotel has going for it is the gym - mostly empty with a fantastic pool, sauna, and steam room! If it had a Club Lounge it would be one of my favorites in the world!

In the winter, they had a great package for only about $100 on top of BAR that included an entire set of the Westin duvet + cover + pillowcases so I enjoy those at home now.

SD1K, I had actually booked the Park Hyatt during my last stay to try out my Diamond benefits and on a FHR rate, but I heard some bad things about it having gone downhill from my Australian friends and seem to have been confirmed on TripAdvisor. The Westin has a great location - but I from what I've heard Parliament Sq is quite nice too...
Old Dec 2, 2008, 6:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci, BAEC LT Gold, HH Dia, MR LT Plat, IHG Diamond Amb, Amex Plat
I wasn't a big fan of this property. We stayed earlier this year for 4 days and had only a normal room (despite a studio showing as available online when we checked in). I thought the gym was rather small and poor although the pool wasn't bad. The location was OK however but I think I would try the Crown next time I am in MEL.
Old Dec 2, 2008, 7:23 pm

Programs: QF Gold, VA Red, SQ, HH Silver, Marriott Gold.
The Westin does not have that many room types, and they vary little in size.
Queen bed rooms usually face the courtyard, whilst King bed rooms usually overlook the street. The larger Studio rooms are very nice, but there are only about 14 of these rooms. There are only two suites, and my understanding is that they are not available for upgrades.
The hotel is very well located in the centre of the city.
The hotel is always very busy, given that it only has 262 rooms and is the only Starwood hotel in Melbourne it has consistent demand.

The Park Hyatt is on the edge of the main city block and is a beautifully designed hotel. However the last few times I have had friends stay there the service left much to be desired.. Rather depends whether you want a wide variety of rooms and upgrades or good service!
Old Dec 2, 2008, 11:44 pm

Originally Posted by rick253
Rather depends whether you want a wide variety of rooms and upgrades or good service!
Very true...one persons view of a Hotel can be different to others.Starwood face this reality and so do all other operators. I had a points stay here earlier this year with my wife and we were well looked after and upgraded to a Studio.For me, service is more important than spectacular upgrades. I have had a very good upgrade report for 2008 with many beyond the terms of the SPG program.
Old Feb 10, 2009, 1:10 pm
Community Director Emerita

What is the best way to reach this hotel from the airport? airport bus? taxi? I have vague memories of having taken the airport bus to the Park Hyatt, and it being a very slow process. I think we had to go first to a bus terminal, before being dispersed on various vans to different hotels. As I said, that memory is vague and dated. What is the cost by both methods of transport?
Old Feb 10, 2009, 1:33 pm
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club

Programs: Battleaxe Alliance
Originally Posted by SanDiego1K
What is the best way to reach this hotel from the airport? airport bus? taxi? I have vague memories of having taken the airport bus to the Park Hyatt, and it being a very slow process. I think we had to go first to a bus terminal, before being dispersed on various vans to different hotels. As I said, that memory is vague and dated. What is the cost by both methods of transport?
You could catch the bus (Skybus) to the Southern Cross Station, and then either catch their free connecting bus or a taxi from there. Or, catch a taxi from the airport. It'll probably be about AUD 60 to catch a taxi from the airport.

Skybus is AUD 26 return, AUD 16 one way. http://www.skybus.com.au/

I'd just catch a taxi because the noisy advertisement on Skybus gets on my nerve.
Old Feb 10, 2009, 2:34 pm

Catch a cab

I suugest you catch a cab rather than waiting for the bus. They take all credit cards including AMEX.
Old Feb 10, 2009, 3:50 pm

Programs: AA Exp, UA PP, IC Diamond, HH Diamond, Marriott Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, Amex Centurion
I took the skybus plus van last time. Was very quick and easy and I would do it again. While guests of the two hotels who were dropped earlier had to walk the last bit to their hotels (driver explained how to get there), he dropped us right in front of the main entrance of the Westin.

If it is your first skybus trip in a while, then the ads (=tourist information) are informative rather than annoying.
Old Feb 10, 2009, 4:06 pm

Programs: QF Gold, VA Plat, IHG Plat Amb, LCAH Gold, Hilton Diamond
Some folk prefer Jetbus (www.jetbus.com.au), to skybus, although you do need to book ahead. Bit cheaper thean Skybus, and doesn't have the transfer bit at Southern Cross.
Old Feb 11, 2009, 4:31 am

Programs: QF Gold, VA Red, SQ, HH Silver, Marriott Gold.
If you can afford to stay at the Westin or Hyatt just catch a taxi.

I would think it would be less than AUD60, maybe AUD40-50.

Last edited by rick253; Feb 11, 2009 at 4:41 am
Old Mar 22, 2009, 11:54 am

Programs: SQ PPS UA 1K MM
I'm currently back at the Westin after not staying for years. In the Regent Suite which is fantastic. (Mind you this is not a suite you get upgraded to by all means I believe) And quite impressed with all the staff here, my one night stay has turned to three! I am taking names left and right, and just suprised by the superior service I have recieved at Australia Starwoods recently... Bravo to the GM here! Also loving the use of my privilege card! My buddy and I had two steaks and a side of chips for $49! Although the steaks were less than impressive...
Old Mar 22, 2009, 12:14 pm
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club

Programs: Battleaxe Alliance
I found services at Westin Melbourne to be just 'normal' (as in nothing particularly good or bad about it, although friendly) when I stayed there last month. Maybe you are getting better services because you're staying in a suite?
Old Mar 22, 2009, 8:46 pm
Company Representative - Starwood

Programs: SPG
Originally Posted by LTN Phobia
I found services at Westin Melbourne to be just 'normal' (as in nothing particularly good or bad about it, although friendly) when I stayed there last month. Maybe you are getting better services because you're staying in a suite?
Definitely not. The room type has nothing to do with the treatment of our guests at the property.

But it's difficult convince people to believe that... well...

[email protected]

Thyetus Lee | Online Forum Coordinator(AP)
Starwood Customer Contact Centre (AP) Pte Ltd
Old Mar 23, 2009, 12:05 am

Programs: SQ Gold, SPG Plat
I completed a week-long stay at the property last week. Moved from a normal room facing Swanston Street to a studio room on the 2nd night for the rest of the stay. Studio room is slightly larger than a regular room.

No other plat benefits like BF or internet. And they do not have a Club Lounge or Plt lounge

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.