Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Marriott Bonvoy Hotels in Zagreb, Croatia

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Marriott Bonvoy Hotels in Zagreb, Croatia

Search this Thread

Old Aug 24, 2010, 2:18 pm
Original Member, Ambassador: External Miles and Points Resources

Location: Digital Nomad Wandering the Earth - Currently in LIMA, PERU
Westin Zagreb

We had a mixed experience at the Zagreb Westin.

The front desk folks were cold nearly to the point of rudeness.

Also, we asked for wine as our Plat amenity and instead of a bottle of wine we were brought three photo copies of our amenity request tick-off card. It took a visit to the (still coldly-staffed) front desk to get that sorted.

But the 7th floor suite, while utilitarian, was at least a suite! That said, as a poster above complains, the AC never really got the room cool.

The location of the hotel is ok but not terrific. Medium walks to the train station and to the main square.

Room service prices were VERY reasonable!

The best part of the stay was the view.

It's a very ugly building.

A decent suite.

But it has a great view!
Old Dec 26, 2010, 1:09 am

Programs: plenty
Westin and Sheraton are OK

While the Sheraton is newer, the Westin (ex Intercontinental) is renovated. Both have a parking garage, the Westin also has outside parking spaces in front. Both are centrally located (15 min. walk from main square Trg Bana Jelacica) and both have unspectacular restaurants. If you want to eat at the hotel: Food is much better at the Westin. However there are plenty of nice restaurants in the center of Zagreb. I recommend the Vinodol for typical Croatian food and wine.
For Platinum upgrades, they have some "real" suites at the Sheraton. At the Westin, they have their guest office rooms, which are very nice Junior Suites as you can see in the pictures above. Both hotels have smallish standard rooms.
Neither has a lounge. The 4th floor in the Sheraton, sometimes referred to as Club Floor, has larger rooms and some suites.
Higher floors at the Westin have nice views, since it is one of the taller buildings in Zagreb. At Sheraton, no view.
Old Dec 26, 2010, 5:37 am

Programs: Star Alliance Gold, Skyteam E+, Bonvoy Titanium, Hilton Diamond
I would definately go with the Westin. Rooms are at least pretty much up to date. Sheraton really, really needs a renovation!

The first time I stayed at the Westin a couple of years ago I was only Gold, but a chilled bottle of white wine and a snack platter was waiting in my room anyway. Very nice!

Locationwise, I am not sure which one is best - Westin have prettier surroundings, but the Sheraton area feels more livelier (bars, restaurants).

I would go with the Westin either way.
Old Dec 26, 2010, 5:48 am

Programs: Marriott Titanium, AA Concierge Key, Delta, United, Emorates, and others
Originally Posted by kokonutz
We had a mixed experience at the Zagreb Westin.
But it has a great view!
The view of the FT bag tag did it for me! :

I had a very warm greeting at the Westin last fall, I'm guessing they are not terribly consistent. The location is not great, unless you have a car (I did) but the prices are cheap and the suite was a nice upgrade. We had both a nice fruit tray and a nice bottle of white wine. The restaurant also had fresh truffles, always a treat for us.:
Old Dec 26, 2010, 6:09 am

Programs: AA LT Gold; BA Silver; Hilton Diamond
We were in both in late 2009. We arrived at the Westin on a day when the hot water wasn't working-- a deal-breaker for us, especially after the long trip from KS. When they finally admitted nothing could be fixed immediately, we asked to be moved to the Sheraton. They agreed and handled it very smoothly, even to the extent of paying for the taxi between the two. So, we hit it on a good service day. We came back to it after 4 days in Dubrovnik.

The Westin has coffee-makers in the rooms but the Sheraton is in a slightly better area as far as finding something to eat. Still, when we had an attack of jet lag at midnight the first night and ordered hamburgers from room service at the Sheraton because nothing around was open, they were delicious.

We don't have status with Starwood but would stay at either again. Their response to the hot water problem was better than we'd get at some places in the US.
Old Jan 28, 2011, 8:37 am

Programs: Starwood Gold née Platinum; AA Plat.
Can anyone please confirm that the Sheraton has a pool, but the Westin does not?

Is the fitness center at the Sheraton generally considered better than the Westin's?

It sounds like there's better food options surrounding the Sheraton, even if the food at the Westin itself may be better than at the Sheraton itself. Can anyone who's been recently confirm?

Cash and points are available at both hotels for our dates, so cost is a wash. Thanks very much.
Old Jan 28, 2011, 8:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by jgold
Can anyone please confirm that the Sheraton has a pool, but the Westin does not?
Westin has a pool, Sheraton does not.
Old Jan 28, 2011, 8:53 am

I'm looking at the website for Sheraton (http://www.starwoodhotels.com/sherat...propertyID=316), and it's showing me a picture of a pool. It also lists under Recreation and Entertainment: "Indoor Heated Pool."

That's kind of obnoxious if that's incorrect. You're sure?
Old Jan 28, 2011, 9:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I'm looking at the website for Sheraton (http://www.starwoodhotels.com/sherat...propertyID=316), and it's showing me a picture of a pool. It also lists under Recreation and Entertainment: "Indoor Heated Pool."

I did not notice a pool at the Sheraton. The Westin indeed has a pool- it is also discussed in this very thread. I am not sure.
Old Jan 28, 2011, 9:05 am

Okay, thanks. So maybe the pool thing is a wash too. Decisions, decisions.
Old Feb 2, 2011, 2:40 pm

I just come home from Westin - excellent hotel and they do know everything about SPG benefits. The hotel was quite full, and I got room upgrade from deluxe room to junior suite on the spg floor (14th - excellent view), late check out and I used a BRG to get smaller price. I am gold SPG member. I use it every time I am in Zagreb.
Old Feb 7, 2011, 9:08 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, M&M Senator

The Sheraton has a pool. You have to use a bathing cap, but the pool is otherwise quite acceptable.
Old Feb 7, 2011, 12:02 pm

Originally Posted by eefor jfp
The Sheraton has a pool. You have to use a bathing cap, but the pool is otherwise quite acceptable.
Thanks very much. Do you know how the fitness center, if there is one, compares between the two hotels?
Old Feb 7, 2011, 4:20 pm

Thanks very much. Do you know how the fitness center, if there is one, compares between the two hotels?
Sheraton fitness: http://www.coner.hr/wellness/zagreb_eng.php
Westin fitness: http://www.worldclass.hr/croatian/The-Westin/ (http://www.worldclassfitness.net/)

Both centers are very good, but I personally prefer the overall service at Westin.
Old Jul 3, 2011, 8:44 pm
Suspended

Heading to ZAG the last days of July, we need to be smack in the middle of both these Hotels so they both work out location wise. Looking over the site for each it seems that The Sheraton has more in the way of amenities. Most important was which had a club neither do it seems

as much as we like Westins if the Sheraton has the Sheraton sleeper bed wed go with that since it seems the Sher is closer from what others posted to the old city area

So can anyone confirm either way if the Sheraton has the Sleeper Beds or Not, since if the dont then it will be the Westin

tia

Last edited by craz; Jul 3, 2011 at 9:43 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.