Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Sheraton La Jolla, CA (San Diego) [Master Thread]

Sheraton La Jolla, CA (San Diego) [Master Thread]

Old Apr 5, 2007, 7:07 pm
Original Poster
SPG 5+ Badge

Programs: Marriott Ambassador, Lifetime Titanium, Delta Plat, Hilton Diamond , Hyatt Globalist
Arrow Sheraton La Jolla, CA (San Diego) [Master Thread]

So-- I never heard a word about it, but in today's paper they mentioned that a new La Jolla Sheraton just opened in the revamped Radisson.

Lo and Behold, it's on the SPG site:

A warm southern California welcome awaits you at Sheraton La Jolla Hotel in San Diego's beautiful La Jolla neighborhood.

We’re just five minutes from spectacular beaches, tide pools, the famous Torrey Pines Golf Course, snorkeling and sunbathing at romantic La Jolla Cove, and shopping in La Jolla's elegant boutiques. Step out our doors and walk to theaters, restaurants, and shopping centers.

After a full day spent with family and friends, relax in the quiet comfort of our spacious guest rooms. Find refreshment in our pool area, complete with a waterfall and koi fishpond. Or re-energize at our fitness center.

Connect with colleagues in our newly renovated meeting and banquet rooms. We will help you plan a great event in a great space with our expert service and state-of-the-art technology. Then gather together for fresh seafood and continental delicacies at Humphrey's La Jolla or catch up over a light meal at Shooters Bar & Grill.

We look forward to welcoming you to Sheraton La Jolla Hotel.

So the info years ago was not quite right-- it's a Sheraton not a Westin and it's pretty far north of the Cove, but it's always nice to have another Starwood in the neighborhood.
Old Apr 5, 2007, 11:56 pm

Programs: Bonvoy Titanium, SPG LTP
We/family used to stay at this prop all the time when Mrs. Goodman and I were students at UCSD. It was decent, but nothing fancy. That was few years ago though. Most of their business seemed to be families of students (especially during move-in and graduation) and people on business either at the university or in the immediate area. Not the best location for tourists looking to take in the scene in the village of La Jolla, but probably a more affordable option than staying down there (I'm only guessing here) and only a short drive away.
Old Apr 6, 2007, 9:18 am
Original Poster
SPG 5+ Badge

Programs: Marriott Ambassador, Lifetime Titanium, Delta Plat, Hilton Diamond , Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by Sam P. Goodman
We/family used to stay at this prop all the time when Mrs. Goodman and I were students at UCSD. It was decent, but nothing fancy. That was few years ago though. Most of their business seemed to be families of students (especially during move-in and graduation) and people on business either at the university or in the immediate area. Not the best location for tourists looking to take in the scene in the village of La Jolla, but probably a more affordable option than staying down there (I'm only guessing here) and only a short drive away.

Yup-- we LJ locals refer to that area as "University City" or "La Jolla Village" (not to be confused with "the Village of La Jolla") instead of La Jolla proper (which is in turn divided into many distinct areas: Bird Rock, Windnsea, La Jolla Shores etc.)

The blip in the paper didn't say much:

"Remodeled hotel also renamed
The Radisson Hotel La Jolla is now the Sheraton La Jolla Hotel after a nearly two-year, $5.5 million remodel, hotel officials said.

The property, owned by Bartell Hotels, has had a remodel of the lobby, meeting rooms, lounge, restaurant, guest rooms, public space, pool and gardens."

Come to think of it. 5.5 isn't a lot of money these days.

When I first heard they were planning a hotel in La Jolla I thought it was going to be at the Cove near the Hotel La Valencia, Hotel Parisi, etc.
Old Apr 25, 2007, 3:47 pm

Arrow Sheraton La Jolla, CA [San Diego] (Master Thread)

I had a business trip to SD last week and decided to give the new Sheraton La Jolla a try. It is by far the most conveniently located of the SPG properties for my business meetings (mostly Sorrento Valley area).

As a platinum, I was upgraded nicely to the "executive wing", or building "E". The room was nicely remodeled, but in a fairly basic way - reminded me of the updated rooms at the SD 4 Points, if you've seen those. Nice but basic. This building has a club lounge, which I would also describe as basic. The breakfast was staffed by an exceptionally nice woman, but the selection was very limited.

There was nothing really wrong with the place, but it would seem to me to be a more down-market hotel than some of the other Sheratons I have visited (SD Marina Sheraton, for example). I would, however, probably slot it above the Mission Valley Sheraton.

I am not fond of the layout, which is a "resort" layout with different buildings. This requires checking in then driving to your building. If you're in the 50% of the rooms facing the interior "resort" section (which is very pleasant), you might have a nice view from your window. If you're in the other 50% that face out, you look at a parking lot - very roadside motel-esque. This, unfortunately, was my view. I also woke up at 6:30 to the sounds of my neighbors getting ready to go - the connecting door for the adjoining room might as well have been wide open.

So, the place is adequate if the goal is simple accommodations close to Sorrento Valley. However, it's not a place I would look forward to going to (unlike the W or US Grant). I suppose this is probably what the place is supposed to be anyway. This still leaves a gap in Northern SD for a more upmarket property...I hope *Wood is still working on this.

On another note, I stayed at the US Grant on the same trip. There's a new Westin in SD which is in the next block over from the US Grant on Broadway - The San Diego Westin (not Westin Horton Plaza). This was formerly the Wyndham hotel.

Last edited by LAFlyer; Apr 25, 2007 at 3:53 pm Reason: Found other thread with new SF Westin Market St.
Old Apr 25, 2007, 10:55 pm
Original Poster
SPG 5+ Badge

"This still leaves a gap in Northern SD for a more upmarket property...I hope *Wood is still working on this."

I would love to see a St. Regis or Luxury Property with ocean views in La Jolla or SD North. I think SD could handle it. The downtown experience is so different from the SD beach. A Starwood near the ocean where the LJ Beach & Tennis Club or La Valencia are would be awesome.
Old Jun 23, 2007, 8:56 am

Sheraton La Jolla Hotel Club Junior Suite

I am booked at the hotel with my family(total 4), with 2 queens @ Club Junior Suite. There is no picture of the suite on the website. Is there a separate sleeping area? How big is the bathroom? Anybody has recent experience at the property.

Thanks
Old Jul 23, 2007, 5:40 am

Programs: Marriott LT Titanium, AA 1MM, UA 1MM
La Jolla Sheraton

I just stayed there, the hotel feels very "tired". It's kind of a pain to get to from the freeway - you can easily see the sign, but the entrance is poorly marked at night. On the whole, I'll probably stay somewhere else next time.

On the bright side, the bed was pretty comfortable (most Sheratons do well in this respect these days).
Old Aug 29, 2007, 12:39 am

Programs: QF WP, AA EXP
I was hoping this would be a good place to stay since I'm going to be doing some work in North SD, but I'm going to try the 4-Points next. Not a good first impression - no upgrade, wi-fi wouldn't work in my room, and my TV remote didn't work. Bad luck, or just par for the course here? I think the property used to be a Radisson. Looks tired, even though the web page says it's recently been renovated.
Old Aug 31, 2007, 12:38 pm

Programs: SPG Platinum
Checked-in yesterday to the Sheraton La Jolla. Two days prior to my stay was upgraded to a club level room already. The rooms have been remodeled to make them look great. Yes it is a only three story hotel. but it is a great hotel. Yes the lay out is weird and you do have to walk a bit to get the the lobby. Like people in the prior posts said. Oh my god walk nooo like people would say. Trust me it is not bad. plus you get to see the great landscapes. the club lounge is open pretty much all day to get drinks and snacks that they have in there. plus you are allowed to get drinks when there is no one there. Yes it is hidding a little bit. but it is a good hotel. i would stay here again.
Old Aug 31, 2007, 1:56 pm

Programs: UA Silver, AA, WN, DL
Originally Posted by gabo02
Checked-in yesterday to the Sheraton La Jolla. Two days prior to my stay was upgraded to a club level room already. The rooms have been remodeled to make them look great. Yes it is a only three story hotel. but it is a great hotel. Yes the lay out is weird and you do have to walk a bit to get the the lobby. Like people in the prior posts said. Oh my god walk nooo like people would say. Trust me it is not bad. plus you get to see the great landscapes. the club lounge is open pretty much all day to get drinks and snacks that they have in there. plus you are allowed to get drinks when there is no one there. Yes it is hidding a little bit. but it is a good hotel. i would stay here again.
Well, sounds like gabo02 pretty much summed up my experience too. I got put into a renovated room and it seemed nice to me. I do agree it's a bit hidden finding it and it is sprawled out. I got a certificate to take 50% off an entree @ Humphrey's, which I took advantage of. I wasn't impressed with the Beef Wellington (the crust is too thin for my taste).

Also, internet is still free (or at least till end of year as I was told).
Old Sep 6, 2007, 2:59 pm

Programs: SPG Platinum
Once again an other great stay at the Sheraton La Jolla. Second time in about a week. funny to say i recieved the same room. They know how to treat their platinum members. Made my reservation early in the day to a traditional room and in about 2 hours of making it was upgraded already to a club floor. This time i did get the 50% of the restaurants. which is a great deal. so yes i will come again... pretty soon. just for Leisure. Seeing that most of my stays are for Leisure....
Old Oct 18, 2007, 7:24 pm

Programs: Bonvoy Amb; AA EXP
While I was a little envious of the Hyatt across the highway. My stay was good and better than expected.

Positives:
- They upgraded me as a Plat pre-arrival. When I arrived, my room was not yet clean (apparently it was the last available Club room). The front desk staff absolutely insisted that I wait for the club room rather than take an un-renovated normal room. After apologies for the delay, a free drink coupon, as well as some other goodies, I ended up not even making it to my car to get my bags before it was ready.
- Everything in the room was new or close to new...obviously a real positive.
- Flat screen tv, but no high def (a pet peeve of mine). Certainly better than the typical crap 25 incher.
- Nice kitchenette in the room as well
- Very nice bed. In fact, I might argue strenuously that the mattress is more comfortable that the replacement heavenly beds.
- Club room: two free cocktails and some decent snacks is good. Decent fruit as part of the continental breakfast. Once again, hardly opulent but new, clean and airy.

Negatives
- View: of the bumpers of the cars in the lot...
- Elevator was adjacent to the room and was noisy as it went up and down
- Free Wireless, but no wireline hookups in the rooms or the Club room
- I don't believe that there are any suites...but perhaps there are and I am just not privy
Old Dec 17, 2007, 10:54 pm

Smile

My first time posting on FlyerTalk and want to give me thoughts of the Sheraton La Jolla.

I returned from this hotel after staying 3 weeks + couple days before Thanksgiving, basically the whole month of November (just weekdays Sunday through Friday) and was very surprised with the great services of all the hotel staff and the property's amenities...

CHECK-IN:
Check-in was a breeze, greeted me with my name (because I had called in just 10 minutes ago trying to find the hotel from the airport). Was told I was upgraded to a remodeled room in the executive wing building # E and access to the Club lounge (even though I was a gold). I was also told I was pre-blocked for the room for the remaining 22 nights at the hotel even though I left for the weekend. Got some Otis Spunkenmeyer cookies at Check-in.

ROOM:
The room was really nice, completely remodeled with a tropical lanai theme. The room included a nice kitchenette area with microwave and a mini-fridge. I recommend to ask for a room facing the garden/courtyard to minimize freeway noise. The room had a sitting area, flat-screen TV, and of course, a Sheraton Sweet Sleeper bed.

LOUNGE:
Had the basics, (open 7 days a week, so that is a plus if you stay on the weekend.) Breakfast consisted of fruits, yogurt, fresh juice, coffee, and pastries. Afternoon included two hot apps and drinks (two free alcoholic per person, then they charge).

When I returned the third weekend, I made platinum (with Q4 Doublestay), and was upgraded to a junior suite, but declined because all the junior suites were facing the road (to my knowledge and looking at the floorplan). FYI, the junior suites are really nice, with living room, two flat-screens, and full kitchenette and tables, and about 50% larger than a standard room.

Anyways, i think this property really loves their SPG Platinums, and even golds. They offer free wireless, free parking (a rare find in La Jolla), and a great location....
Old Dec 19, 2007, 8:51 pm
Ambassador: World of Hyatt

Greetings and Holiday Wishes
Yes I too wish you a warm welcome to Flyertalk
Let me congratulate you on your excellent handle name MyPerks ^
I suggest you trademark it before one of the programs does and turns it into a guest program. If they haven't done so already!
Is there a program by that name? Could it be there is one I am not in???

It gives me great pride to hear the folks at the Sheraton La Jolla are doing a nice job. I have not had the pleasure of visiting or staying there but I have all intentions of doing so.

This past year at a wonderful catered reception with the GM and his team at the Sheraton San Diego Hotel & Marina I had the pleasure of meeting some of the new folks involved with Sheraton La Jolla property and enjoyed some in depth conversation about spg and the importance in house recognition.

I am a pretty jaded fellow these days but I must say how impressed I was with them individually as well as their ambitions and goals to compete with other area properties. As well as try to become an SPG property of choice in the area.

In particular San Diego has some of the nicest folks working for Starwood in the US. And I am not just saying that just because I am now proud to call
San Diego my home.Its a great city we look forward to welcoming you back soon.

Thanks for your excellent trip report and we look forward to many more
Cheers
Old Mar 30, 2008, 2:39 pm

Bad policy on club room access

Took the family for an overnight visit recently. The pool was decent for the kids and the layout convenient (40 feet to the parked car). However, I was not pleased that Gold members were denied Club access. I though Club access was automatic for Gold members especially since they claimed I was "upgraded" in some way. There was no disclosure on the website about this quirk. It lowered my rating two notches. Bad job Sheraton.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.