Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Sheraton La Jolla, CA (San Diego) [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Sheraton La Jolla, CA (San Diego) [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Aug 21, 2013, 8:22 pm

Programs: AA CK / Marriott Worthless Ambassador
An anoyying postscript. During my stay I opted for the 500 plat amenity as I usually do when on business on a one night stay. Checked out ealy the next morning. Points posted but no amenity. After a week I contact spg. They put in request. Then hotel posts- 0spg amenity in hotel. I do Spg chat and I'm told the hotel "denied my claim." so they reissue request. Again nothing. Do chat again and am told again the hotel denied my claim. Just anoyying. I said, well let them produce a breakfast zero sum recipt or something?

Spg rep said they'd take care of it. So let's see.
Old Mar 10, 2016, 1:11 pm

Three years since the most-recent. An update, in the midst of my three-weeks here.

The location, right next to a shopping center with a grocery store and a few restaurants was nice. You could survive here without a car…which is good because it’s $15 a day to park. The parking lot, during my stay, has been mostly empty. You’ll be directed to park near your room, since the property is sprawling. The Executive Building is basically the furthest corner from the lobby. The property is also attractive, inside the confines of the hotel itself and out front (as opposed to the back parking lot).

At check-in, I was offered Make a Green Choice, choice of Platinum amenity and basic information about benefits and property. My MAGC vouchers have shown up every day under the door. Well-presented introduction to the property and elite benefits. (I don’t want to be treated like this is my first time staying in a hotel. I’m a Plat; I know the basics.) I got a room in the Executive Building. This really suited me because the Club Lounge and Fitness Center (24-hour) are both there.

In the evening, the Lounge has a hot dish (two, last night), melon, crackers, cheese, cookies and soda. I was offered beer and wine; I got the feeling they were free, but I don’t really know; I don’t drink. In the morning, there’s a hot dish, more melon, berries, yogurt, oatmeal, granola, box cereal. The morning hot dish has looked good – usually an “enhanced” egg dish (vegetable omelet on fancy bread); I’m vegetarian, so I didn’t actually try. Weekend offerings (Friday morning through Monday) are diminished. Weekend "hot" dish is toast in the morning, nothing at night. Lounge staff was been effective (stocking clearing, answering questions). The Lounge also has tourist materials and newspapers.

The Fitness Center is fine. There’s some older and mismatched equipment, but everything I’ve tried fundamentally works; Life Fitness cardio screens are - as always - dysfunctional. It gets full around 5:30AM, but there hasn’t been a wait for machines. There is also ample space for a coupe of people to stretch or lift. Weights, benches and accessories (stretching devices, big balls). There’s a big window to the central courtyard.

The property is a bit worn, but not worn out; I haven’t found anything dysfunctional. The style is a little dated, I guess. It’s a little musty smelling in parts - some stairways, for instance - more than living areas. My room is fine. I really like the bed. There is a microwave oven. The only bummer is that, instead of traditional blinds, it has rotating wooden shutters that do little to block the abundant light outside my window. I can read by this light with the blinds closed at midnight in the room. Not easily, but I can. No room safe.

The internet service has worked for me, but I’m not streaming or downloading anything big.

I’ve had one customer service interaction – a request, not a problem. I got a prompt, helpful and ideal (relative to my request) reply by email.
One wish: I’m here for work, and the morning Lounge hours don’t start until 7:00AM on weekdays, 7:30AM on weekends. (I haven’t visited on a weekend.) The restaurant opens at 6:30AM. It’s just me, but I wish the Lounge wasn’t dominated by a loud television…seemingly always tuned to presidential candidate debates these days.

I’m well-known for my low standards, but I’ve been happy here.

UPDATE: I departed for a couple of days. When I returned, there were a few improvements in my guest experience. I got an even nicer room, this one with a patio on the central courtyard. The evening lounge service added crudites this week.

Last edited by 365RoadWarrior; Mar 19, 2016 at 9:30 am
Old May 31, 2016, 12:02 pm

Programs: Bonvoy Amb; AA EXP
Not a lot to add from the review above. I've stayed here somewhere between 30 to 40 times, and only once did I not get an upgrade to the exec/club area (this was three weeks ago). The front desk mentioned that consultants or temporary employees tend to check in and stay for the week, which makes any additional upgrade beyond the club rooms difficult. There are a couple of junior suites that aren't that much different from the regular club rooms. I also seem to remember that I haven't gotten many club rooms that aren't on the first floor.

I concur that there is enough within walking distance that you could get by without a car. I usually Uber my way around if I have to go anywhere.
Old Jun 12, 2016, 12:00 am
LHG

Programs: AS MVP Gold and hotel status through their credit cards as needed :)
Adequate property, nothing special

Staying here now (weekend of UCSD graduation, so it is full) as SPG Gold.
Given room in "executive building". Basic comfortable room with a desk, small couch, microwave and fridge. Few electrical plugs to charge devices as the room is older (property is in general). People who work here are friendly and try hard to please. Stopped by the club room on my way out to meet friends for dinner. Wine and beer are complimentary (to add a data point). They had one white and one red and about 4-5 beer choices in bottles. Two hot dishes and some cold ones as mentioned above (I didn't try any as I was on my way out). Pool and hot tub were in use late afternoon on the property as was the gym. I haven't tried the restaurant or bar as of yet. They have a nice outdoor patio in front of the hotel with a fire pit that looks inviting.
At check in I was recognized as a gold member and offered points or a $15 credit in the bar. Additionally you can choose to be green and not have room maid service for 500 points or a $5 credit at the restaurant/bar. Was given free internet and a bottle of water in my room as a welcome gift. Reasonable place to stay if you have to be in the area and don't mind being by a shopping mall and freeway.
Old Aug 22, 2016, 5:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Bonvoy Gold, Hyatt Discoverist
Originally Posted by 365RoadWarrior
The location, right next to a shopping center with a grocery store and a few restaurants was nice.
I'd like to add that the sushi place (Yummy Maki Yummy Box) and the kebab place (International Market & Grill) in the strip mall at the bottom of the hill are fantastic local eateries.
Old Jul 17, 2022, 10:11 pm

Programs: United 1K, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond
Any recent stays? It would be great to hear an up-to-date trip report

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.