Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Sheraton La Jolla, CA (San Diego) [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Sheraton La Jolla, CA (San Diego) [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Mar 30, 2008, 8:22 pm
Original Member

Programs: AC SE 2MM, HH Dd, SPG; IC Pl/A; AA; DL
Hilton Gold get lounge access but SPG Gold do not. Only Platinums have that privilege.

From your member guide, these are your benefits as Gold:

"Three Starpoints® for every eligible dollar spent — a 50% bonus over our base-level members

Preferred Room upgrades including rooms on higher floors, corner rooms or newly renovated rooms

4 p.m. late checkout so you can sleep in, take your time or simply savor your stay for a few more hours"
Old Mar 31, 2008, 1:13 am

Gold card club lounge

Blondebomber,

Maybe we are talking about two different things, but as a Gold member I am often upgraded to "club" level which allows access to the Club Room or Lounge.

Unless what you call the "lounge" is something different, you are mistaken. This is the first time I was ever not allowed to use the "Club Lounge" despite being a gold card member. What's so surprising is that the platinum only policy at La Jolla is rather silly since this is hardly high-end.
Old Mar 31, 2008, 4:15 am
Original Member

What you get upgraded to and what is required are two different things. As stated on this forum's everything you need to know thread:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=660824

"3. What are my chances of scoring an upgrade as a Gold? Will contacting the hotel before my stay help my chances? - As stated in the terms and condition, SPG Gold members are eligible to receive an upgrade to preferred rooms (corner, higher floors, view, SPG floors) when available. Upgrades to suites are rare for Golds but they do occur. Contacting a hotel prior to your stay will not gurantee you better odds at upgrades, but YMMV."

NOTE: SPG Floor is not a club floor.

See http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=478759
Old Mar 31, 2008, 4:22 am
Original Member

See also discussion about Gold benefits and people's understanding, lack of understanding and benefits that they get anyway:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=575129

and

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=619857

and

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=507111

and

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=551991

Last edited by BlondeBomber; Mar 31, 2008 at 4:29 am
Old Aug 15, 2008, 10:50 pm

Trying to book a room for a weekend in sept for my uncle's family. I noticed that "Cont Bkfst Mon-fri Only". Does that means no more free breakfasts on the weekends in the lounge? or any alternatives provided to the plats?
Old Aug 15, 2008, 11:43 pm

Programs: SPG Platinum
Originally Posted by anchor79
Trying to book a room for a weekend in sept for my uncle's family. I noticed that "Cont Bkfst Mon-fri Only". Does that means no more free breakfasts on the weekends in the lounge? or any alternatives provided to the plats?
for some reason they have no changed it in their system. but i have been there several times and yes their club lounge is open on weekends. in the morining the are open from 730am to 1030am and during their happy hour at night from 500pm to 800pm..
Old Aug 27, 2008, 5:37 pm

Programs: UA GS/4 MM, AA Exec Plat, Lifetime Hilton D, Hyatt G, Marriott Titanium earned Ambassador
Sheraton La Jolla report 8/2008 Pleasant surprise!

Preface: In San Diego for dinner and meetings.

Rate: A good rate for the area.

Transportation: I rented a car at SAN. Did not take long to drive up. I little thinking to make it into the Hotel's lot.

Parking: No charge for parking and lots of it.

Check-in: It is best to park and go inside to check-in. The "Executive" building is around the back so you will most likely want to drive to the building. I was given the world so to speak. Upgrade, two cookies (yes), the restaurant discount cert. and a different set of keys for the Club lounge. Took points as the amenity. Very efficient.

Perks: As noted above.

Lounge: A decent size. Two hot items this evening. Satay and potato puff. Selection of drinks. There is a printer so you can ask the attendent to print your boarding pass. That was made clear. Have to ask.

Room: My room is very nice and comfortable. You enter onto carpet. You have a closet followed by a mini kitchen absent stove with a sink, flat panel LG tv with dvd player, desk with two chairs, window onto garden/pool, sofa and king size bed. There is a table in the room. Nice and NOT dated. At least this room.

Bathroom: The bathroom is pretty standard but a decent size. Push out curtain rod and single basin sink.

Internet: Wirelss in most areas. Was told this building does have wired which I am on. Seems to be no charge.

Gym: In this building.

Spa: ?

Eating venues: Heard the restaurant was decent and at 50% off for up to four. Might give that a shot next time.

Local markets and area: Lots of things around.

Negatives: None worth mentioning.

Closing: You have to give this place lots of credit. I was not expecting much. They have thought of almost everything and the pack of microwave popcorn is a nice touch. I would without doubt stay here again. It beats the Hyatt when you add in parking by $100 dollars. It is nicer and more comfortable. Worth a try.

Last edited by RTWSTARALLIANCE; Aug 27, 2008 at 10:56 pm
Old Oct 20, 2008, 11:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA PLAT, SPG PLAT. Collector of Chase UR points
Pictures of a Deluxe Room

Here are some pictures I took of my room for my recent stay at this property. The room was in great condition, and everything was new. I could not tell now old this hotel was from the room. They did a great job.

I had a room on the third floor of the "E" bldg, facing the freeway, and I didnt hear any noise.

If the pictures do not show up correctly, please use this link.

Last edited by jrzyshawn; Oct 31, 2008 at 6:58 pm
Old Jun 27, 2009, 3:14 pm

Programs: UA GS/4 MM, AA Exec Plat, Lifetime Hilton D, Hyatt G, Marriott Titanium earned Ambassador
Some not so positives.

As of Feb 2009 they charge $10 per night for parking. Please. We are next to the I-5. Not SAN.

Room was 77 when I entered.
Frig turned off.

No remote control for dvd player. Why have one?

Club is closed which is disclosed. They are supposed to drop by some breakfast vouchers.

I was very pleased with my last stay but little things like this will make me think about it more for my next stay in the area.
Old Jun 28, 2009, 9:41 am

The breakfast vouchers never arrived even after the agent said they would be brought to the room and put under the door. I decided to take a earlier flight so did not bother to collect them from the front desk which another agent offered later in the evening.

The tub/shower does not drain well. Standing in dirty water is not it. Gross.

I will rethink SPG in San Diego after this trip.
Old Jun 28, 2009, 11:11 am

Programs: DL Silver, SPG Plat, HHonors Gold, Marriott Gold, Avis Preferred
Originally Posted by RTWSTARALLIANCE
The breakfast vouchers never arrived even after the agent said they would be brought to the room and put under the door. I decided to take a earlier flight so did not bother to collect them from the front desk which another agent offered later in the evening.

The tub/shower does not drain well. Standing in dirty water is not it. Gross.

I will rethink SPG in San Diego after this trip.
Thanks for the update on this hotel. I'm debating to stay here for a wedding Labor Day weekend in La Jolla or keep my res at the W downtown (got a great rate). Is the club lounge closed indefinitely?
Old Jun 28, 2009, 4:38 pm

My understanding is only on weekends. Please call the hotel to make sure.
Old Jun 28, 2009, 7:13 pm

Programs: Bonvoy Amb; AA EXP
I've stayed here quite a bit as the office that I travel to is nearby and coming from the city takes a little too long.

I have always gotten the club upgrade, but have never received one of the larger rooms (the ones with doorbells) on the right hand side if you are facing the club from I-5. I don't think they are suites though.

I would frankly rather have breakfast vouchers than club room access as I find the offerings to be underwhelming (though the staff is always great in there).

Fortunately, I haven't had some of the drainage issues of the previous poster and I would pose that this Sherton's club rooms are nice compared to those in other parts of the US. Plus, I know its a very small thing, but the fact that they can email you your folio is a nice feature.
Old Sep 1, 2009, 9:33 am

Programs: SPG-Platinum
Stayed at Sheraton La Jolla twice last month.
First trip upgraded to room in Executive building. Second upgraded to Junior Suite. Club lounge access is 7 days per week. $10 parking fee per day for very small parking spaces is disappointing. Getting in and out of parking lot is cumbersome with room key.

Overall, I give this property thumbs up.^
Old Oct 1, 2009, 10:57 pm

Programs: AA EXP, UA MM, AS MVPG 75K, SPG LTP (BONVOYED), Hyatt Diamond aka WoH Glob, HH Diamond
Checked in at the Sheraton La Jolla. Upgraded to a Jr Suite. Self-Parking is still $10. Free wireless internet in the room. Very nice services at the Club lounge. I would stay here again.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.