Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

W Chicago City Center, Chicago, IL [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

W Chicago City Center, Chicago, IL [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Feb 28, 2008, 1:09 pm

Programs: UA 1K 2MM Flier, SPG Plt, Hilton Dia
Originally Posted by tony2x
Hang on a second. She is talking about GOLD members, not Plats. Plats are entitled to the *best* available room, not the *next best*. Tsk.

I have to say though in my experience this is not indicative of W customer service. I have had nothing but exemplary service from the W in Seattle, a recent booking went south as they gave away my room to someone else when I turned up late. I did the same thing, contacted the Operations Director and they turned a poor experience into an amazing one. They turned a poor customer experience into the best hotel customer service I have ever experienced...
It's definitely not typical W customer service, but it does reflect my last couple stays at this property and is the reason my W stays in Chicago are now at the W Lakeshore (even when the location isn't as convenient). The Welcome Desk staff at the W City Center (IMO) used to be very good, but two of the best transferred elsewhere (one to a different area of the same property, and one to the Westin Michigan Avenue). The Welcome Desk staff hasn't been the same since then.

Originally Posted by landed
...I accepted my room and went upstairs. I expected the room to be a Spectacular room, as it was, but in this case it was the corner room. If you are familiar with the City Center you would know that the corner rooms are not only awkwardly shaped, but are also the smallest rooms in the hotel....
I was given a corner "Spectacular Room" on my last stay. While it's not quite the smallest (those are the "Cozy Rooms"), it's not far off. IME the only difference between that and the standard "Wonderful" room is the additional window offered by the corner location. IME it was anything but spectacular.
Old Feb 28, 2008, 5:56 pm

I have not succeeded in obtaining an exceptional room at this hotel during the three times I've stayed there. On my last stay, I had a room in the back of the hotel that allowed me to hear what seemed like the El running through my room. When I complained to the front desk about the noise, they brought up a noise cancelling device, but it did not ease the noise. On a previous stay, I had what seemed like the smallest room in the hotel.

With all the fine properties Starwood has in Chicago, I decided I would stay at this property only when I am unable to obtain rooms at the Lakeview W, Westin River North, Sheraton, or the Westin Michigan Avenue.
Old Jun 21, 2008, 10:43 am
Suspended

Programs: Delta - Gold; Starwood - Platinum; HHonors - Diamond & Avis Preferred
Question

Any recent reviews/experiences??
Old Jun 30, 2008, 12:16 am

Location: Chicago, IL USA AA Platinum, UA, Hilton Blue, Starwood Platinum, Amtrak Guest Rewards
My wife & I decided to spend the weekend downtown for the 4th of July. After reading some of the current posts we made reservations at the Amalfi Hotel instead. We had a great experience with them back in the winter. I don't want to take a chance of the magnanimous sounds of the El disturbing our stay.

I also like the nice breakfast and complimentary happy hour at the Amalfi. I love Starwood, but in Chicago, outside of the Sheraton Chicago Hotel & Towers, I have had some disappointing experiences here.
Old Jun 30, 2008, 8:00 am
Suspended

Programs: Delta - Gold; Starwood - Platinum; HHonors - Diamond & Avis Preferred
Question Huh?

Originally Posted by WindyCityBrother
My wife & I decided to spend the weekend downtown for the 4th of July. After reading some of the current posts we made reservations at the Amalfi Hotel instead. We had a great experience with them back in the winter. I don't want to take a chance of the magnanimous sounds of the El disturbing our stay.

I also like the nice breakfast and complimentary happy hour at the Amalfi. I love Starwood, but in Chicago, outside of the Sheraton Chicago Hotel & Towers, I have had some disappointing experiences here.
Old Jun 30, 2008, 2:39 pm
dw

Programs: DL Plat, AA Plat Pro, Marriott Titanium, IHG Diamond Amb
Originally Posted by Cheap Elite
Any recent reviews/experiences??
I actually had a very pleasant weekend stay at this property in February. (I will add, however, that occupancy appeared to be very low during my stay, which may have helped.) I was surprised to receive a call several days prior to my arrival from the concierge desk asking me if there was anything they could do for me prior to my arrival. I have never received such a call from any Starwood property, and while I did not need their services, it was a nice touch. I felt that this was representative of the good service given by the staff during my stay. The Front Desk was very friendly at check-in, and the hotel even sent a large bottle of Voss water and an apple to my room the day of my arrival. (I did not even have status at the time, other than Corporate Preferred, which I don't really consider status within the SPG program.) The doormen were also very attentive and were always there to open doors for guests. (I am always surprised at how many properties have doormen who do not do this.) One other nice touch was that every evening complimentary hot cocoa and small pastries were set out in the lobby.

However, it seems that the two biggest complaints about this property are:

1. The rooms are definitely showing some wear and tear and are need in refurbishing. For example, in my room the towel bar was loose and the shaving mirror was damaged. It was an annoyance, but not the biggest deal for me.

2. You will hear the sound of the EL from many rooms. I was not bothered by this, but I live in a loud city and am used to noise.

Overall, I would definitely return to this property, but because of the great staff members, not because of the physical property itself.
Old Aug 26, 2008, 11:52 am
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Checked into the W City Center last night. There was a large group (maybe 15 people) who were congregating in the foyer area just past the interior doors. Seemed like they were waiting for the rest of their party. Couldn't hardly make my way past them. There was a girl "directing traffic" to the front desk and I commented that it was difficult to make it through the front door and maybe she should ask the group to move to one side. She looked at me with blank eyes and head tilted like the RCA dog. I assume others had to fight to get in since she didn't seem to understand.

Check in was quick and I was offered my plat amenity and upgraded to a "Spectacular" room. Room and bathroom was quite large. The room was longer than it was wide and the the TV was on the narrow wall opposite the bed. If the TV is going to be that far away in those room they should probably add a larger TV. HDTV was connected.

About 9pm I received a knock and a green apple on a plate and a bottle of Voss water was delivered. Not sure if this is an additional plat amenity or what.

USA Today and WSJ were left at door in the morning. Bed was extremely comfortable.

Chicken al Mattone dinner entree from room service was not so good. The chicken itself was dry but there was a curious amount of oil/fat spinning on the bottom of the plate. A shot glass with little chocolate candies was a nice touch and the perfect little sweet to end the meal.

For those not wanting to pay mini bar liquor prices the CVS Pharmacy just down the way sells beer, wine and liquor at very reasonable prices. Not a lot of super high end choices but plenty of the $15- $20 variety wines.
Old Aug 26, 2008, 1:43 pm

Programs: UA Million Miler, BonVoyLifetime Platinum, UA Platinum, President's Club,
I didn't care for it, as I probably posted months ago. I found the concierge completely unhelpful (just giving me a map, no help with anything else) and a bit rude, which as a W the Card member AND a Plat, surprised me. W City Center employees didn't seem to really CARE, IMO, and that's unusual with W Hotels.

I stayed 1 night before my normal stay at W Lakeshore as they were booked the 1st night I was in Chicago, and was amazed at the differences. As a Plat, I had a teeny room that barely fit the bed! I had asked for an upgrade but they were full, which is fine. But they couldn't even get me a room with 2 beds. I had my 8 year old niece with me and ended up with feet in my face and getting kicked to the edge of the bed. I HATE sharing beds!

I'll take W Lakeshore anytime!
Old Aug 26, 2008, 8:26 pm
formerly known as daveland

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LTP, Delta Platinum, Hilton Honors Diamond, Wyndham Diamond
Here's a review of the W City Center from about 2 months ago. As you'll see, it was fine but not spectacular. Typical W. But I will note that a mysterious charge appeared on my credit card after checkout for about $11 and while I got the charge credited after an email to CS and a few emails with the W, no less than three direct queries as to what the charge was for went unanswered.....
Old Aug 30, 2008, 4:36 pm

Terrible

I am staying in room 1520 right now. It is supposed to be a Spectacular room, and an upgrade since I am Plat. Status (which they acknowledged when I checked in).

The furniture is gouged and beaten. The walls are blank (nothing hanging on them). The room is tiny, I'd hate to see what a regular room is. There are no snacks in the honor bar (just drinks).

This is by far the worst W room I have ever stayed in in any city. A lousy job, especially considering the hotel seems empty and they probably could have given me a real upgrade.

I have stayed at the Lake shore W several times in the past, and it is much, much better.
Old Aug 30, 2008, 9:40 pm

Programs: Delta DM, SPG Plat, Hyatt Diamond, MTA Rust, Hertz Five Star something or other
Had a decent stay here recently. My only gripe is that they charged me $35 for a Clif Bar.. i mean seriously? They immediately took it off, but it was still annoying.
Old Oct 18, 2008, 11:55 pm
Marriott Contributor BadgeFairmont Contributor Badge

Programs: National Executive, AAdvantage Platinum, SPG Platinum, FPC Platinum, Hyatt Diamond
Now I must confess that the W Hotel brand is probably my most favorite chain at this point in time. I've had great stays at all of the ones I stayed at with of course a few quirks here and there. Recently stayed at the W Chicago City Center. Despite the widely mixed reviews, I figured I had to give it a try as I've already been to and loved the W Lakeshore. Okay and Cheap Elite I must first sincerely apologize... no pics on this one either.

Arrival at night... clearly dressed Doormen doing a great job of opening doors, signaling cabs, etc for the W guests. Entrance into the hotel... Living Room was crowded with people, loud W music blaring, and just that you entered a club type of feeling. I loved the huge room atmosphere of the place with tall columns, dark curtains and soft lighting throughout. Front Desk was tucked away in the back corner. Was guided there by one of the W staff. TK my front desk agent was awesome! Extremely friendly, called me by my professional name vs the typical Mr. Sleepdoc that I get on check-in. She must have actually read my profile stating that as my Professional salutation. Instantly recognized as a Platinum and was told without me even asking that I was upgraded to a Fantastic Suite! Incidentally a day prior to my reservation, when I checked on the details of my stay at the W, I got the Sorry for the inconvenience message when the reservation has been changed by the hotel. This has happened to me on reservations with the BRG and when I've been upgraded to suites.

My suite was on the 4th floor, two entrances, one into the living room with separate shower, and the other entrance into a small foyer, then bathroom with a tub, and the bedroom. Flat screen TVs as well as DVD/CD players in both the LR and BR. Wetbar and desk in the BR. It would've been preferable in my mind to have the wetbar in the LR instead just like they do at the W Minneapolis and W Lakeshore. View from either room was unremarkable, construction of the JW Marriot residences across the street and noisy El just around the corner. Though honestly the El noise wasn't that bad.

Whisky Blue was on the first floor, which also houses the front desk and Living Room but separated by walls and doors. This place definitely seemed more exciting then it's sister bar Whisky Sky at the W Lakeshore. Didn't try out the We Restaurant and can't comment on the fitness center either. Perhaps next time. I did have a massage while I was there, that the concierge was helpfully arranged. They converted two of the guest rooms on the 4th floor and made them into massage/treatment rooms. I can say that after looking at these rooms I was sure glad to be in a suite. The room was extremely tiny! Will I be back again? Yes! Does it beat Lakeshore? That's tough both have their positives and I'll just leave it at that.
Old Nov 25, 2008, 11:46 am

Programs: CO-plat, SPG-plat
suggestions for parking?

I've driven by the hotel on the weekends and noticed at least 4-5 parking garages within a one-block radius. Does anyone recommend a particular parking garage for a weeknight while staying at the W City Center? Thanks!
Old Dec 16, 2008, 12:16 pm

Programs: DL/GM, HH/no mo status, SPG/PLAT
I just stayed at the WCC again after having lived there during the Dec-Feb 2006-2007 time frame. The hotel seemed largely the same, although somewhat more worn and with a reconfigured lobby (they removed the gift shop) that adds a little bit more room. I also didn't feel that the staff was as friendly as they used to be, but that could just be b/c I did not know anyone there anymore.

As far as rooms go, they just seemed a little more beat up. My upgrade experience was probably unusual b/c I was given a suite (only there 1 day). I have had success in the past checking into a room and then going to down to politely request a new one / upgrade.

They no longer give free bottles of water out in the fitness room, probably b/c some unscrupulous business traveler was using that as his personal water supply (sorry, free Voss ruled and they took it away at W LS as well). It also seems like they do not have as much stuff at night like they used to. I always enjoyed the snacks/tea/hot chocolate in the lobby, although I might have just missed it.

I also noticed that several of the lobby bar staff have left. I know they were having issues with the food back in 07 and I think a lot of them were getting fed up with bad tips b/c of messed up apps and other food. I would actually order things and the staff would say "don't get that, the kitchen doesn't know how to make it". I always gave the bar/wait/hotel staff an A++ and that was one of the main reasons I frequented there. Hopefully the new staff is just as good.

I've never had a good meal at the WE restaurant, so I don't really eat there. Besides, why would you eat at a hotel restaurant in Chicago when there are so many other places to go. The room services is generally ok, but they do have some issues with bringing the correct order.

Whiskey Blue is generally fun during the week and is never really that crowded. Drink prices are Chicago (enough said).
Old Dec 20, 2008, 10:34 pm

Worth a visit??

Firstly I have never stayed at this Hotel.
I have been a regular at the W LS and enjoyed it. I have a 10 day US trip coming up, at short notice, with 3 nights NY ( probably W Union Square) and 7 in Chicago and are looking at trying this for a few days.
My only hesitation is the large number of mixed reviews on all sites..some people love it and some are rather disappointed.I cannot think of another Starwood property that seem to polarize guests. In the US I do not expect much in the way of an upgrade so I try to stay at W's and avoid Sheratons where possible.Should I give it a try?? ANy recent experiences?? Cheap Elite??

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.