Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Chicago Area Hotels 2007 on [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Chicago Area Hotels 2007 on [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Jun 25, 2007, 9:33 am

Programs: HiltonHHonors Silver; SPG Gold; Midwest Airlines
Originally Posted by bigguyinpasadena
Hello all!I will be making my first trip EVER to Chicago and I am very excited.
I will be going with a dear friend whoalso has never been-and he is excited also.
I do have a few questions re. the starwood properties that are in the 'burbs of Chicagos downtown.The suburban locations are MUCH cheaper then the city locations and thus are attractive to me-if they are on a public transit route.
So which of these are on a train/subway line with a direct shot into downtown?
1)Westin Chicago North Shore
2)Sheraton Chicago Northwest(Euclid ave.)
3)The new Westin Lombard http://www.starwoodhotels.com/prefer...ropertyID=1526

I think the Westin CNS seems to be the prefered property amongst plats here-but I am open to suggestions.
Thanks in advance for the feedback.

I agree with paytonc. It is not going to be worth it to take a 45 minute train ride in and out everyday. Your experience will not be the same. For your time and cost in transit, you should really just pay the extra and stay downtown.

The Four Points seems to have more deals than the other properities. I know it is not the greatest of hotels, but it is very new and clean and in a great location. I would stay there in a heartbeat, vs. going to the 'burbs.
Old Jul 2, 2007, 6:43 pm

Programs: UA 2MM, DL MM
I need to organize a business meeting for about 15 people from Europe in early October. Would the recommendations noted in the thread be the same for a combination of;

- Decent meeting rooms and service
- Proximity to key d/t attractions (shopping, river tour, etc) and entertainment (a good steakhouse and blues/jazz club)

Thanks in advance for the help.
Old Jul 2, 2007, 7:39 pm
In memoriam

Programs: Kimpton IC, Hyatt Diamond, Gold Marriott, Lifetime Platinum Starwood
Originally Posted by runningshoes
I need to organize a business meeting for about 15 people from Europe in early October. Would the recommendations noted in the thread be the same for a combination of;

- Decent meeting rooms and service
- Proximity to key d/t attractions (shopping, river tour, etc) and entertainment (a good steakhouse and blues/jazz club)

Thanks in advance for the help.
Stay away from Westin River North- they gauge business travellers with their phone calls/HSIA, etc. and service is sorely lacking imo. The Westin Michigan Avenue is the perfect location imo - close to everything and Chicago really is a walking city (especially in the fall). They have conference rooms and small meeting rooms as well. Their Director of Operations (Mr. Brown) does try hard and seems to care about customer service.
Old Jul 3, 2007, 8:27 am

Programs: Bonvoy Titanium, SPG LTP
Originally Posted by ldsant
Stay away from Westin River North- they gauge business travellers with their phone calls/HSIA, etc. and service is sorely lacking imo. The Westin Michigan Avenue is the perfect location imo - close to everything and Chicago really is a walking city (especially in the fall). They have conference rooms and small meeting rooms as well. Their Director of Operations (Mr. Brown) does try hard and seems to care about customer service.
Have to agree that Westin Michigan Ave has some nice meeting facilities. I was there for a meeting of about 100 in the fall and the meeting rooms we had were on the top floor with windows on three sides and views up and down Michigan Avenue. Refreshing compared to the windowless (and often underground) meeting rooms at many hotels. Of course, you may not want the distraction of a nice view...

The lobby was recently modernized (ultra). The room I had was not a recent remodel as it was in the older, more traditional Westin hotel room motif, not the new streamlined one. I had some questionable service issues with housekeeping and was close to a noisy elevator, but was very satisfied with management's response to my concerns.

This was my first visit to Chicago and I was able to walk to everything I wanted to see so location is also a plus.
Old Jul 3, 2007, 1:35 pm

Programs: UA 2MM, DL MM
Thanks to both of you guys for the response - Michigan Ave it is!
Old Jul 3, 2007, 4:25 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Starwood Lifetime Platinum, Marriott Gold, Hyatt Diamond, Delta Platinum
My preference location-wise and hotel-wise, it Westin River North. I haven't found that one Westin gouges you worse than the other.

The Westin Michigan Avenue is just your typical big convention hotel, but everybody's got an opinion...

Hope that you have a good trip.
Old Jul 9, 2007, 12:44 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Plat; Bonvoy Titanium Lifetime Elite;Hyatt Globalist; HHonors Diamond; United Silver
Great thread, thanks to all the contributors.

When I checked rates, I came up with a $100 difference per night between Westin River North and Sheraton Chicago Hotel and Towers.

The price of the River North is right at the edge of what's acceptible. If I successfully got a suite upgrade at the Sheraton (I'm platinum), how big a difference is there?

As an example, in Boston, the Westin Copley Place is an overall better hotel than the Sheraton, but the suites I get upgraded to at the Sheraton have such stupendous views that it's an easy choice once $$ are factored in.

Thanks again!
Old Jul 10, 2007, 8:25 pm

Programs: LT Platinum Marriott/Starwood; Exec Plat AA; LT Plat AA
The only two SPG's I've stayed at in chi-town is the Westin Ohare and Westin Michagan Avenue. (I'm at Westin O'hare about Monthly), Love the hotel and the people there are very friendly (Katrina and Margaret are two great front desk people, and Sakai is perhaps the best waiter at a SPG property I've ever had); Though admittedly when greeted by name, and favorite beverage, its hard to complain about the service. As an FYI the Presential suite on 12 is an amazing room; Governers suite ok, but not as nice. Anything on 12 has high ceilings; though I've never had a complaint about any room I've stayed in at the property.
Old Jul 25, 2007, 7:14 pm

Programs: Marriott LT Titanium, AA 1MM, UA 1MM
4Points Magnificent Mile, Westin Itasca

I just stayed here, and while the location itself is terrific, the hotel seems a bit run down. Maybe this is common for 4Points (I don't tend to stay at them) but the hallways reminded me of a depressing college dormitory.

I also stayed at the new Westin in Itasca, which is described as being on the periphery of O'Hare. While I'm sure this is technically true, it's quite a slog. It took about 30 minutes to get to O'Hare and cost $25 (using the hotel's fixed-price deal with a local cab company). The room was fine, but the cheap flourescent lights were somewhat jarring at a Westin.
Old Jul 26, 2007, 10:39 am

Programs: SPG Gold, Delta, USAirways, Hyatt Gold
Chicago for Meeting

I found the Westin River North to be quite good. We often have meetings at the ABA headquarters next door so the location and rates are great. But if you need to be in that area, I would also suggest a non-*wood property, the House of Blues hotel. They recently renovated their rooms and its basically next door to the WRN. Nice rooms, good service. I prefer *Wood, but we've had to stay there for business trips and they do a nice job with small meetings (of 20-50 people). Nice bowling alley attached too!
Old Jul 26, 2007, 4:08 pm

Programs: AGR WOH
The HOB Hotel is now called the Hotel Sax, and it's part of the Marina City ("corncob towers") complex. The sign says SAX in giant letters -- kind of easy to misread from a distance. I like Bin 36 (the wine bar off the lobby), but the rooms have no views.

Another independent nearby is the Amalfi Hotel, which began its life as a base for overnighting UAL crews but was sold off during Chapter 11. It's above Keefer's, reputedly one of the better steakhouses (but being mostly vegetarian, I wouldn't know).

Marriott is building two properties just north of the Westin.
Old Aug 2, 2007, 9:58 am

Programs: AA ExecPlat; AF Gold; UA GS; Hyatt L. Globalist; Marriott Plat; Hilton Diamond; National EE
Any more recent reviews of the W Lakeshore please? I will be staying there next weekend. Probably will be making most of my travel between there and a couple of tennis clubs on Fullerton St (playing in an indoor tennis tournament), as well as North Halsted for the Market Days street fair.
Old Aug 5, 2007, 12:32 am

great location

had a recent stay at the Westin Chicago River North. Found the staff to be very friendly and the location was excellent, lots of good restaurants very close to the hotel
Old Aug 5, 2007, 5:23 am

Anyone with a recent stay at the Sheraton Suites Elks Grove Village? Comments?
Old Aug 7, 2007, 9:11 pm

Programs: DL Plat, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by Buster CT1K
Any more recent reviews of the W Lakeshore please? I will be staying there next weekend. Probably will be making most of my travel between there and a couple of tennis clubs on Fullerton St (playing in an indoor tennis tournament), as well as North Halsted for the Market Days street fair.
It has been a little while since we stayed there, but I really liked W Lakeshore. Also have stayed (regretfully) at W City Center..... not so good. seriously postage-stamp sized rooms. my butt hit the wall when i walked by the foot of the bed.

If you can get a lakeside view at Lakeshore (higher floor to avoid noise from traffic on the drive), that is best.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.