Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Chicago Area Hotels 2007 on [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 28, 2013, 3:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, AC MM E75, Marriott LT Ti, IHG Dia Amb, Hyatt Glob
Travel Zoo sale at Chicago area hotels.

Chicago summertime unveils white sails dotting the blue waters of Lake Michigan, while music and movies fill Chicago’s many parks. Visit when the city’s buzzing and when Starwood hotels across the city -- including W’s and Westins -- are on sale for summer travel.

Save up to 40% on current rates at these downtown hotels available select dates through September, including weekends, Fourth of July and Labor Day:

•$109 … Tremont Magnificent Mile
July 21-26, 28-29; Aug. 9, 11-12, 16, 23, 25-26, 30; Sept. 1-2; +$18 July 6, 8, 10, 14
•$129 ... W Lakeshore
July 1-3, 7; Sept. 1-2; +$20 July 4-6, 21, 25, 28; Aug. 11, 18, 25
•$155 ... The Westin Michigan Avenue
Aug. 9, 11, 18-22, 25-30; Sept. 1-5
•$159 ... Sheraton Chicago Hotel & Towers
July 4, 6, 8-9, 28-31; Aug. 1, 4-6, 17-18, 23-24, 27-29; Sept. 1-5, 13
Old Jun 29, 2013, 3:22 pm

Programs: UA: 1P; Bonvoy: Gold; IHG: Plat; HH: Silver; DL, AA: Gen. Member
Originally Posted by margarita girl
Travel Zoo sale at Chicago area hotels.

Chicago summertime unveils white sails dotting the blue waters of Lake Michigan, while music and movies fill Chicago’s many parks. Visit when the city’s buzzing and when Starwood hotels across the city -- including W’s and Westins -- are on sale for summer travel.

Save up to 40% on current rates at these downtown hotels available select dates through September, including weekends, Fourth of July and Labor Day:

•$109 … Tremont Magnificent Mile
July 21-26, 28-29; Aug. 9, 11-12, 16, 23, 25-26, 30; Sept. 1-2; +$18 July 6, 8, 10, 14
•$129 ... W Lakeshore
July 1-3, 7; Sept. 1-2; +$20 July 4-6, 21, 25, 28; Aug. 11, 18, 25
•$155 ... The Westin Michigan Avenue
Aug. 9, 11, 18-22, 25-30; Sept. 1-5
•$159 ... Sheraton Chicago Hotel & Towers
July 4, 6, 8-9, 28-31; Aug. 1, 4-6, 17-18, 23-24, 27-29; Sept. 1-5, 13
Great rates and point earning too! ^ Unfortunately, I'll be in Chicago July 11-13 and there is limited availability. I guess this is the week of the Taste. I didn't think this would pack all the hotel rooms.
Old Aug 22, 2013, 10:59 am

Programs: UA 1K, AA 2MM, Bonvoy LT Plt, Mets fan
Any suggestions for SPG convenient to U.of Chicago/Hyde Park?

Or, alternatively, non-SPG?
Old Dec 31, 2013, 9:15 am

Programs: Biggly ones everywhere
Aloft Chicago City Center

There is currently no thread for the Aloft Chicago City Center. I had a most unpleasant stay at this hotel. It is franchised, the bar and restaurant is NOT part of the hotel and you cannot charge F&B to your room. The drinks are stupid expensive, to boot. I love Aloft for myself up to 5 days and 2-3 with my wife as they are generally consistent. This one is an outlier.

The hotel itself, a new build (check Google Maps) is as poorly constructed a hotel as I have been in. You hear adjacent blind movements for the windows as if they were in your own room. The blower on the air handler system is so loud you cannot talk in the room and consequently there is a 1" gap under the door to handle air flow and this allows much light into the room. Without it blowing you hear conversations (and partying from the street. I was at the end of the hall on the very top floor -SPG floor). It is an understatement to say that they "cheaped out".

I went out of my way to be brand loyal and stay here, attending a meeting at a nearby hotel.

Very disappointing, had to share.

Last edited by redanman; Dec 31, 2013 at 9:25 am
Old Dec 31, 2013, 11:19 am
Suspended

Programs: Delta - Gold; Starwood - Platinum; HHonors - Diamond & Avis Preferred
Originally Posted by redanman
There is currently no thread for the Aloft Chicago City Center. I had a most unpleasant stay at this hotel. It is franchised, the bar and restaurant is NOT part of the hotel and you cannot charge F&B to your room. The drinks are stupid expensive, to boot. I love Aloft for myself up to 5 days and 2-3 with my wife as they are generally consistent. This one is an outlier.

The hotel itself, a new build (check Google Maps) is as poorly constructed a hotel as I have been in. You hear adjacent blind movements for the windows as if they were in your own room. The blower on the air handler system is so loud you cannot talk in the room and consequently there is a 1" gap under the door to handle air flow and this allows much light into the room. Without it blowing you hear conversations (and partying from the street. I was at the end of the hall on the very top floor -SPG floor). It is an understatement to say that they "cheaped out".

I went out of my way to be brand loyal and stay here, attending a meeting at a nearby hotel.

Very disappointing, had to share.
I posted my stay in the master thread and would agree this property is strange. IIRC, I was able to charge my drinks to my room.
Old Jan 2, 2014, 8:26 am

Programs: Biggly ones everywhere
Aloft City Centre Chicago

The F&B Operations as of November 2 or 3, 2013 are under the operational arm of "Lettuce Entertainment" a very long-standing gorilla of Chicagoland. They operate separately and do NOT allow charges to the hotel, not even a simple whisky nightcap. So unless THAT has changed since 2 months, I suppose that this is the most current operation.

I do not recommend this hotel for many reasons, this is just an aside to my recommendation. I actually like to be able to sleep through the night in my hotel, city centre or not.
Old Nov 27, 2014, 1:17 pm
Suspended

Question

Now that the W - Lakeshore has been renovated, how would you rate the Chicago properties?
Old Dec 8, 2014, 4:45 pm

Programs: AA2, DL2, Amtrak2, US2, SPG1, MAR2

I'm in the midst of delay hel*(boarding/deplaning/repeat) and can't do much research so any help would be appreciated...

What's the best quick overnight Starwood at ORD? So bus service quality and shortness/consistency of the ride is at the top of the list.

It's a 545am flight.

Thx
Old Dec 8, 2014, 6:25 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by DrivingRain
I'm in the midst of delay hel*(boarding/deplaning/repeat) and can't do much research so any help would be appreciated...

What's the best quick overnight Starwood at ORD? So bus service quality and shortness/consistency of the ride is at the top of the list.

It's a 545am flight.

Thx
This thread may be of help: O'Hare Area (Chicago) Which Starwood? [Master Thread]
Old Jun 20, 2015, 7:52 am

Programs: AA Plat, Bonvoy Plat, Amex Plat
Giving this thread a bump 6 month bump to see if anyone has recent experience. Thinking about a 3 night stay at W Lakeshore in the fall, but open to other suggestions as well.
Old Jun 20, 2015, 10:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K1.75MM, Hyatt Globalist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC
Originally Posted by dkauf
Giving this thread a bump 6 month bump to see if anyone has recent experience. Thinking about a 3 night stay at W Lakeshore in the fall, but open to other suggestions as well.
What are your priorities? This W is good for Lake access & views, but IMO isn't the best location, not great access to the El, not in the prime of River North, etc.
Old Jul 10, 2015, 5:45 am

Programs: SPG LTP, hotels, OWE, STE+, *G, Octopus
Any updates? I have a layover Sunday afternoon to Monday afternoon and have extremely limited experiences of Chicago. I'd like to walk around and enjoy the local sights.

Of the ones that seem to around somewhere interesting, W Lakeshore, Westin North Shore, The Tremont and Sheraton Towers have favourable rates on Hot Escapes or otherwise.
Old Jul 10, 2015, 7:11 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by remymartin
Any updates? I have a layover Sunday afternoon to Monday afternoon and have extremely limited experiences of Chicago. I'd like to walk around and enjoy the local sights.

Of the ones that seem to around somewhere interesting, W Lakeshore, Westin North Shore, The Tremont and Sheraton Towers have favourable rates on Hot Escapes or otherwise.
You should review the master thread for chicago. This is an offshoot that hasn't been merged into the master thread.

The Westin North shore? Eliminate that property now as it not IN Chicago, but a northern Suburb.

Downtown properties to review are Westin River North; Westin Michigan Ave.; W Lakeshore; Aloft City Center and the Sheraton Towers. You can also review the W City Center but it's in the Loop an area that isn't very active on weekends.
Old Jul 10, 2015, 7:21 am

Originally Posted by remymartin
.. I'd like to walk around and enjoy the local sights.

I think you mean Westin North Michigan Ave, not Westin North Shore.
Old Jul 10, 2015, 7:30 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by worldtrav
I think you mean Westin North Michigan Ave, not Westin North Shore.
There is no hotel named, "Westin North Michigan Avenue". Do you mean, The Westin Michigan Avenue, which is located a 909 North Michigan Avenue? If yes, I mention this property in my post above. I too think the remymartin confused properties unless he choose The Westin North Shore property because it's close the O'hare.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.