Last edit by: margarita girl
Hotel email: [email protected]
Print Wikipost

Westin Seattle [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Dec 20, 2003, 4:49 pm
mikejos

After staying at The W in Seattle during my last two trips to the area, I decided to give The Westin a shot. Long story short, I was impressed with both the accomodations and service.

Parking upon arrival - The hotel is situated among a series of one-way streets and the parking (valet) entrance is tucked around the corner. It took a little educating but I finally found the correct path to the valet.

Check in - Was offered the platinum amenity without asking. I inquired about an upgraded room and was told that my deluxe room was an upgrade. It took a little back and forth between the clerk and me to clarify that the deluxe room was the one I purchased and paid for, not an upgrade. Because he seemed thoroughly confused, I did not pursue the upgrade any further.

Room - In a way, I was glad the upgrade did not surface because of the impressive room I was given. It was on the 33rd floor in the north tower. The room was large with the Heavenly Bed, couch, well designed work station and an unreal view of the space needle and downtown Seattle. The bathroom was large with a very nice shower.

Food - Room service was prompt but the food was basic. I didn't have a chance to try out the restaurant but have heard great reviews from some of my co-workers.

Ambiance - The lobby had a bar that overlooked the street and a large collection of couches and chairs. Because of the wireless internet connections in this area, the lobby was bustling early in the morning and in the evening after work. There were also several good looking boutique stores adjacent to the lobby.

All in all, a job well done. I'm looking forward to my one-week return visit in February.

Mike

Old Dec 21, 2003, 11:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AMC MovieWatcher, Giant BonusCard, Petco PALS Card, Silver Diner Blue Plate Club
I think folks generally like the Westin Seattle, with the caveat that it seems a little worn and it is a large convention-style property.

There are definitely more upgrade possibilities at the Westin than the W (which has only a handful of suites). Plus the Westin has water views.

Personally I really enjoyed my stay at the W SEA earlier this year, and was perfectly content with a Kool Korner room.

[This message has been edited by gleff (edited Dec 21, 2003).]
Old May 24, 2004, 10:10 am
Suspended

compare your bill to points posted on spg.com.

i stayed recently on a prepaid rate may 7-9.

a week or so later, only my room charges made it to my point balance. i emailed the hotel to see why my hotel bar charges didn't appear as points on spg.com. hotel never replied to my email.

also, yet another starwood property in which video check-out didn't work....but, that's another story.
Old Aug 5, 2004, 5:26 pm

Programs: Amtrak, Starwood, AAdvantage
Arrow Westin Seattle [Master Thread]

I live in the Seattle area, and my husband I stayed at the Westin in December. We picked the Westin because it's across the street from the Cinerama, and we were seeing the midnight showing of Lord of the Rings there (my husband is a big fan). Overall, we had a good stay. The one negative thing I could say is that getting an elevator in the morning was quite difficult. I don't know if there was some sort of conference going on and they were all checking out at once or something, but everytime the elevator doors would open, it would be filled to the brim with people from the floors above. The only stairwell we could find led only to an emergency-exit-alarm-will-sound door. So we ended up having to take an elevator up to one of the top floors, then take it back down, stopping at every floor to pick up more and more people until the elevator was entirely full, and then we just told the people waiting on every floor "Sorry, we're full." The whole thing took like 30 minutes, and was somewhat surreal. Other than that, it was a good stay, good service, the bathroom in our room wasn't renovated but wasn't bad either, nice bed, nice city view at Christmas time.

We're staying at the W this weekend, I'll post about how it goes with our Gold upgrade/late check-out requests. I've been in their lobby bar before and it's pretty nice.

In terms of location, the W is closest to the "financial district" (such as it is in Seattle), the Westin is closest to the shopping district and Belltown (cool neighborhood now being overrun by yuppies), and the Sheraton is closer to the convention center. But all 3 are within a 10 minute walk of each other.
Old Sep 20, 2004, 10:55 am

Programs: AA EXP 5MM, DL DM, Bonvoy Titanium, Avis CHM, National VIP
First stay as a Plat - Westin Seattle

Will be staying at the Westin Seattle for a couple nights starting tonight. This is my first stay since reaching Platinum, so I'm looking forward to finally seeing how the Plat benefits work. I called the front desk to make sure my new Plat status was reflected in my reservation, since I made the reservation when I was Gold. Asked about the possibility of an upgrade, and after much typing, the clerk told me I had been upgraded to a "Preferred Floor." Not sure what is different about that than Gold benefit, but a search here seems to indicate that the hotel doesn't have many suites and real upgrades are not that common. Is there a club level at this hotel, or am I getting pretty much what I should expect? Thanks for any insight.
Old Sep 20, 2004, 11:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I know Platinum FlyerTalker Catman just stayed there on September 11th, so I phoned him and he said he'll be happy to post on his stay when he gets a chance to get online.

Last edited by PremEx; Sep 20, 2004 at 11:15 am
Old Sep 20, 2004, 11:46 am
Commander Catcop

DFW Flyer... congrats on making Platinum!

I arrived at the Westin SEA on a day that that hotel was oversold! (In fact, most hotels were already sold out so I was lucky to get this!) There were college football fans, Mariners fans, Red Sox fans and people associated with some Tony Robbins money making operation staying there.

Check-in staff were friendly and efficent. My Platinum status was recognized at check-in and my ammenity choice was asked without prompting (if you can always always go for the points!!!) There are two towers. The higher floors are for the SPG Preferred customers.

When I inquired about a suite upgarded the clerk sadly said there was nothing for the entire weekend, and the place was sold out since Thursday!

I got a standard but oversized room on the 33rd floor in the North tower. It had a nice view of downtown Seattle. Since the two towers are shaped like "tubes" (like the towers in Detroit, can't think of the name of the complex since I've never been to Detroit) the room had a curved shape, adding to the sense of space. Try to get a higher number room, particularly a corner room if you can. I did not get any complementary water but it's no big deal for me.

I did not notice if there was a Club Floor, and I doubt this hotel has one. There were apples available on a table near the elevators (give yourself a little more time during check-out time and early evenings... the elevators can be slow since they are equipped to stop on every single floor!) No express elevators here.

I noticed a sign for a room for "Starwood Preferred Guests check-in," but the Saturday I was there was being used to check-in the Tony Robbins-type guests.

The lobby can get very crowded busy. It's a large hotel. The bar was nice but the staff there totally unfriendly to me.

I think you will be satisfied with this Westin. I would stay here again for the oversized high floor room and nice Heavenly Bed.

Another good Starwood choice is the W Hotel further downtown (if you can get past the attitude of the staff.) IN three stays there always gotten at least a junior suite.

Going OMNI Here, if you got time please do:

*Seattle Underground Tour. If you get the right tour guide it can make for a very comedic experience.

*The Metropolitan Grill for steak. It was a little overpriced for me (and I almost fainted at cigars at $25 bucks and up) but very good steak and rich, thick steak fries with a dustings of Parmashan cheese.

I did not do Buenos Aires grill becuase I was afraid of getting "run over" by the tango dancers. But it is just a few blocks from the Westin.

Enjoy Seattle!
Old Sep 20, 2004, 12:17 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by DFWFlier
Will be staying at the Westin Seattle for a couple nights starting tonight. This is my first stay since reaching Platinum, so I'm looking forward to finally seeing how the Plat benefits work. I called the front desk to make sure my new Plat status was reflected in my reservation, since I made the reservation when I was Gold. Asked about the possibility of an upgrade, and after much typing, the clerk told me I had been upgraded to a "Preferred Floor." Not sure what is different about that than Gold benefit, but a search here seems to indicate that the hotel doesn't have many suites and real upgrades are not that common. Is there a club level at this hotel, or am I getting pretty much what I should expect? Thanks for any insight.
I had a stay there a few months ago and the best I can say it was OK.
Location is nice but there was no club floor and although I was told I was upgraded the room was nothing spectacular.. did get a good view of the bay though. Also my plat amenty has not posted yet.

IMHO I find the W a much nicer property .. not much of a view from there though.
mike
Old Sep 20, 2004, 1:07 pm

Ditto. Stayed at the Westin Seattle in late-August and I was told that there were no "suites" as the rooms are all pretty close in size, and it's the furnishings, upper-floor and view of the lake that determine "upgraded room". It could have been jet-lag, but the separate room off to the side for Gold/Plat check-in wasn't immediately clear until after I'd turned around from the check-in and noticed the signage. Having stayed at the W Seattle previously, I'd concur with the previous posters - the W seems nicer and is closer to Pike Place Market. Downside to the W is having to wade through the weekend party-crowd milling around the lobby as the lounge and bar bracket the entrance, and I found it very smoky.
Old Sep 20, 2004, 1:18 pm

I would choose the W over the Westin.
Old Sep 20, 2004, 1:20 pm

Location: San Francisco, CA USA // UA 1K 2 Million Miler, AA EXP 2MM, HH Diamond, SPG Plat // Easily found on SFO-ORDs
I've stayed there a dozen or so times as a Platinum and never been upgraded to a suite. I just don't think they have many to give out.

The W tends to be much more expensive but I have had pretty good luck there getting nice suites.
Old Sep 20, 2004, 3:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AMC MovieWatcher, Giant BonusCard, Petco PALS Card, Silver Diner Blue Plate Club
I'm surprised at the above-mentioned successes with suite upgrades at the W Seattle, I understood that they only had a few suites and that this was viewed as one of the tougher upgrades to get. Glad to hear some folks are getting them! (I thought folks generally had to settle for a Kool Korner room on a high floor.)

I really like the W Seattle, and didn't find the staff there to have attitude at all.

I'll be at the Westin Seattle next weekend on a cash & points. I'm sure it's a big conference property, but I'll be happy with the bed and for $45 + 2800 points it's just a bargain!
Old Sep 20, 2004, 3:56 pm

Programs: CO Platinum, Starwood Platinum, Hyatt Diamond, Hertz Presidents
have stayed at the Westin a ton and NEVER EVER BEEN OFFERED AN UPGRADE!
Old Sep 27, 2004, 8:21 am

Programs: AA EXP 5MM, DL DM, Bonvoy Titanium, Avis CHM, National VIP
Catman, you pretty much nailed it. Preferred check-in area wasn't staffed - several people in line in the regular check-in. Check-in was efficient - amenity choice offered right off the bat. No suites available, but given a room on a "Preferred Floor" - 33rd floor. Room was nice, standard Westin room with a good view. Complimentary water bottle in the room. All in all, a good experience - but I liked the W better.
Old Sep 27, 2004, 9:42 am

Location: Homosassa, FL & Ringwood, NJ -UA-G(Lifetime); SPG-Plat (Lifetime)
I have stayed here many times and as a Plat, have NEVER been given a suite. They always have an excuse.
I have on occasion, received a large room with a nice view of Puget Sound. But that is as good as it gets here. Its just my opinion, but I beleive that the management at this hotel consciously chooses to ignore Starwood policy on the suite issue.
I now deliberately book away form this property.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.