FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: margarita girl
Hotel email: [email protected]
Print Wikipost

Westin Seattle [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Mar 3, 2002, 10:53 pm
mrk

Just checked into Westin Seattle on Friday 1st March. Having a seperate check-in room for starwood members was a plus, the guy checking me in was efficient but did not bother to upgrade me.. after much debate I finally got an upgrade two days later (Three years as platinum - this was my first time having to haggle for an upgrade). Whats the point in having a SPG platinum membership level if upgrades are only granted after some negotiation? (room availablity was not an issue at time of my check-in)

Another issue arose with this same guy when a colleague called over to meet me (he is staying at a non-starwood hotel here). Since we are both staying in Seattle for the next six weeks I suggested he call into the Starwood check-in room and ask this same guy about the starwood program and how many nights it takes to reach platinum. Again there was more fuss as the check-in guy insisted that platinum status was achieved based on how many dollars you spend with starwood, NOT on how many nights you stayed in a starwood properties. I just wasn't in the mood for a debate... to cut a long story short my colleage has decided to stay at his current property.

My suggestion: If you guys at the Westin Seattle are going to have this guy (or any other person) manning this highly visable Starwood Preferred Guest room, then at a minimum please ensure that your staff have the correct details and facts regarding the SPG program.

However on a positive note the hotel has meet my expectations, although out of curiosity I may try the W Seattle next time as it is the newest of all the starwood properties in Seattle.
Old Mar 3, 2002, 11:11 pm

Thank you for the feedback.

Can anyone recommend specific rooms to be upgraded to?

If I need to ask, I'd prefer to be knowledgable about this property, for indstance...
I am assuming there is a Club floor (anyone know what the number is?) adn is it in one tower or different floors in each aand is one tower better than the other? remodeling? age?

Can someone tell me a rough floor plan?
A good corner room to ask for with a nice view and a great King bed?

Thanks all, Joe.
Old Mar 4, 2002, 7:04 am

Good luck on the corner room thing in the North Tower...it's circular, so the rooms are wedge-shaped. Don't know about the South Tower.

The highly visible SPG dedicated check-in area (a separate room before you get to the regular check-in counter) was closed and dark when I got there, and there was only one person working general check-in.

BTW, this was the first time I was asked for photo ID when checking in to a US hotel. When I expressed surprise, the woman at the desk said this was a Starwood policy that has been in place for a while (I didn't ask how long). I pointed out that the policy could have been awkward for me if I hadn't flown to get there, as I do not normally carry photo ID when not flying. She shrugged.
Old Mar 4, 2002, 1:25 pm
mrk

There is no exec lounge at the Westin Seattle.
Old Mar 4, 2002, 3:00 pm

Programs: AA EXP, UA GP, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Lifetime Plat, Marriott Gold
I'm a big fan of the Westin in Seattle. The "W" and the Sheraton are great, too, but the former is usually much pricier, and the latter usually sold out. Front desk service is consistently good. The coffeehouse off the lobby is reliably good, and a nice alternative to room service, although it's top-shelf, too. Roy's makes a mean breakfast and the sushi downstairs rocks. Club lounge and hi-speed internet access are the only things lacking ... and I hear they're working on the internet issue now.
Old Mar 5, 2002, 9:58 am

Programs: AA PLT (2MM), BA Bronze, SPG LT Gold
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by aislesonly:
Can anyone recommend specific rooms to be upgraded to?

If I need to ask, I'd prefer to be knowledgable about this property, for indstance...
I am assuming there is a Club floor (anyone know what the number is?) adn is it in one tower or different floors in each aand is one tower better than the other? remodeling? age?

Can someone tell me a rough floor plan?
A good corner room to ask for with a nice view and a great King bed?

Thanks all, Joe.
</font>
As a platinum, the room that you are most likely to get is a North tower room that is either *41 or *42. They offer nice views of the Sound but they are not particularly big. Neither of these rooms is considered a suite - they are "Deluxe" rooms with king sized beds. Supposedly, all of the suites were taken last week and this week although I am not sure I believe that. After all, they do have 891 rooms so you would think they would have a fair share available. I asked about availability and the gentlemen at the desk had to leave the desk and ask somebody if there was one available. They offered a jr. suite that had a Murphy bed - I declined. That beinig said I agree with a post above about "haggling" for an upgrade. You really have to wonder if they care at all about elites - perhaps it is a problem with scale - ~900 rooms means a lot of people! Anyway, if you don't get a suite upgrade and you have a choice, take the *42 room because the bathroom is roomier than the tiny one in *41.

My overall opinion of the hotel is that it has a nice view and "ok" rooms but that it really isn't that attentive to the Preferred Guest program.

Good luck with your stay. Hopefully, the suites will not all be taken when you get there.
Old Mar 9, 2002, 11:36 am

I'll be checking in tonight and write up a small trip report after I check out.

Thanks again,
Joe.
Old Mar 9, 2002, 2:20 pm

Programs: UA 1k, AA Plt, MR Lifetime Plat & Amb
When you check in look for the young guy who wears a Spanish flag pin on his jacket. I started chating with him when I was checking in last year using a free Friday as a gold.

It turned out that he is not from Spain, but Columbia. I had been to his country a few times and remarked how beautiful it is and how i enjoyed the people. He UG'd me. I'll never be sure if there was a coorilation b/w our chat and the UG but I believe there was. The hotel is very nice & a great location. But for that matter the W and the Sheraton have good locations also.

Edited to add; He also gave us two free breakfasts.

[This message has been edited by Dudemon (edited 03-09-2002).]
Old Mar 10, 2002, 6:24 pm

Programs: UA 1K MM; SPG Platinum; Hilton Diamond; Marriott Platinum, Hertz PC
If you like sushi, the Japanese restaurant in the basement of the Seattle Westin has a $15 all you can eat special at lunchtime, Monday through Friday. It's excellent sushi, too.

Sigh...I miss Seattle.
Old Mar 10, 2002, 7:46 pm

So far, so great!

I checked in late last night and was upgraded to adjoining rooms on 45th floor, 4542-4541 and the view is breathtaking. Found breakfast vouchers in my room and enjoyed the cuisine at Roy's restaurant for breakfast. I had some trouble with my internet access and everyone was very helpful and then I realized that my Firewall client was active and had to be disabled. It is common that most folks wouldn't realize this and because I managed an actual computer services help desk early in my career, I completely understand how this is overlooked by people who are not 100% geek - even I had to recheck a few times before figuring it out. I called back after I got it working and the staff was very happy that I let them know it was fixed and that they needn't bother to send a "tech" expert up tomorrow.

I'll keep you informed as to how the stay is going. This is my first Westin experience and it going quite well.

And the bed is heavenly...
I also like the 2 shower heads.

Joe.
Old Mar 24, 2003, 7:10 am
Original Member

All three properties are very nice. The W is a few blocks farther from the main shopping area and Pike Place Market, but still in the heart of downtown.

Sheraton gives the best upgrades for Platinums.

QL
Old Mar 24, 2003, 8:59 am

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by ldsant:
Not sure when you stayed at the Westin Seattle, but during my stays, they've been lovely. Getting a room on a high floor with sound view is nice.</font>
It definitely sounds like your experiences have been better than mine. My most recent stay there was the end of February. I was told that getting a non-smoking room was my upgrade. YMMV. It is a convention driven hotel and is not really interested in the frequent individual traveller who is not involved with a big meeting going on at the same time at the hotel.

The Sheraton or W will get the rest of my room nights (approx 28) in Seattle this year.

Cheers.
Old Mar 24, 2003, 3:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 3 MM; Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium Elite
I stayed last year over Easter weekend and enjoyed it. I was on a Priceline stay, but got a decent room as a Starwood Gold. I am going back the weekend of April 4-6 and will stay at the Westin as the lowest rates at the SHeraton and the W are nearly $200. I got a best available rate at the Westin for $139.
Old Aug 14, 2003, 8:17 am

Location: KLM GD, DL PM, AA LT Plt, Hyatt Diamond, SPG LT Plat, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Diamond, Fairmont Platinum, Interconti Amb/PC Spire, etc.
I was upgraded to a beautiful suite on the top floor a couple of months ago. Staff was very friendly.
Old Oct 29, 2003, 8:06 am

I have a Club Room booked for a December Weekend (at the Sheraton) before heading up to Vancouver and the Westin Grand.

I have Gold SPG...any chances of upgrading (for points, cash, or my charm) to a Tower Room? What a re the differences between Club & Tower?

Thanks so much for the insights!

[This message has been edited by jen80370 (edited 10-29-2003).]

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.