Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Westin Tysons Corner, Virginia [Master Thread]

Westin Tysons Corner, Virginia [Master Thread]

Old Apr 11, 2007, 10:05 am
Original Poster

Arrow Westin Tysons Corner, Virginia [Master Thread]

Just stayed here and wanted to give a quick review. Renovations are complete, and it "feels" like a Westin. The location is a bit out of the way for those without a car, but the hotel provides an on-demand shuttle service to both the Metro station and Tysons Corner shopping mall (neither of which can be walked to, due to the busy highway that lacks a sidewalk) -- service runs until 10pm. The rates at this property (I think) compensate for the slight inconvinience, so a car is definitely not a necessity.

There are 11 floors to the hotel, and preferred rooms come with free water bottles and Starbucks coffee (for the in-room coffee machine); no mini-bar or access to the fridge, though. The rooms are typical Westin -- Heavenly everything. I did not have any problems with traffic noise. Hotel has a nice-sized indoor swimming pool and whirlpool, plus a smallish fitness center. There is a small cafe, bar/lounge, and informal restaurant just off to the lobby area.

Overall, the hotel was clean and comfortable. Nothing fancy or particularly noteworthy to report, but the staff were efficient and friendly. Would recommend this place if you find a good rate or are on business in the Tysons area.
Old Apr 11, 2007, 10:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

How is parking at the property or nearby? I may end up staying there this weekend and I'd like to avoid paying for parking if possible.
Old Apr 11, 2007, 10:55 am

parking is free and readily available. only problem i had with the property was that the showerheads are plastic.

pool is nice and they did a nice job renovating the lobby and the lounge
Old Apr 11, 2007, 1:54 pm

Programs: SPG
Great Property for the Rate

Stayed twice, once for $89 and the other for $99. Registered and received the 2000 bonus points for the second stay. Excellent front desk and porter staff. Probably the best room service food I have had in a very long time. I give this property a solid 4 star for quality, service and food. Location is not that bad, but you need a car unless you can get there on the shuttle. A hands down better choice than the Sheraton Premiere, even when when the Sheraton is $20 less.
Old May 27, 2007, 2:53 pm

Westin Tyson's Corner

Finishing up a stay here now. Got an excellent weekend rate of 89 per night.

As gold, I received a room on the 10th Floor (Starwood Preferred Guest Floor) facing the road, and it does indeed suffer from road noise--but I was too lazy to request a room on the other side. Pulling baqck the shades eliminates a decent amount of it. Room amenities include free bottled water, in-room coffee as noted previously, and there is indeed a mini-bar in the room, so they seem to have fixed that problem. Decor and ambience is Westin-like, but I wouldn't say this place is truly full service. There is no convenience store on site, and dining options are limited. Did not try the room service. During my stay, the ice machine was broken, and I had to go to another floor to get ice.

Parking is ample and free for self parking, or you can choose valet for a reasonable daily or overnight fee.

Elevators are a bit cramped still need re-furbishing, but I'm sure it's not a priority.

I've stayed at Sheraton Tyson's Corner as well, and it is a little nicer and has more services than the Westin. However, the ambience here at the Westin is friendlier and staff are more attentive. Would stay at whichever had a better rate.
Old Oct 21, 2007, 11:03 pm

Programs: UA 1K/2MM, SPG/Marriott Lifetime Titanium, Lifetime HHonors Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, AA Exec Plat
Any recent update on this property?
I am planning a stay in Tyson's Corner and am considering this Westin, along with the Sheraton Premiere and the McLean Hilton. Thanks.
Old Oct 22, 2007, 7:54 pm

Programs: AA Exec Plat MM, UA MM 1K, MR Titanium Lifetime
Service is also hit and miss. I arrived Sunday night and there was nobody at the front desk. There was another guest there with me waiting to checkin and we had to wait about 5 minutes for someone to show up to check us in.
Went up to my room and found the room assigned was not serviced after the previous guest checked out. This was the 3rd time it happened to me at this hotel. After a Sunday night flight, this was very annoying.
Elevators are small and slow, if you run into the "rush hour" in the morning, it could take a while to get down to the lobby. Other than that, the room is renovated and nice.
Old Oct 22, 2007, 9:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: MR/SPG LT Titanium, AA LT PLT, UA SLV, Avis PreferredPlus
I stayed at the Westin, the Sheraton Premiere, the Marriott, and the Hilton, on an alternating basis, for 7 months (gotta love/hate those per-stay promos). 110-ish nights total, so I got a pretty good sense of each property.

The Westin would be my last choice of the four.

See http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=700283
Old Oct 22, 2007, 11:42 pm

Programs: DL DM MM, Hyatt LT Globalist, SPG Gold, Marriott Gold, Hertz PC
I just finished a two night stay- it was convenient and worked well with my 4am check in (also nobody at the desk, but at 4am, I'm not surprised). The pool/hot tub/gym are decent for a suburban property, and parking was a breeze. Not unique to this property, but the doors closing are so so loud. Not bad, but not great for the rate (199 as it I literally walked in without a reservation).
Old Oct 27, 2007, 6:41 am

Originally Posted by CPRich
I stayed at the Westin, the Sheraton Premiere, the Marriott, and the Hilton, on an alternating basis, for 7 months (gotta love/hate those per-stay promos). 110-ish nights total, so I got a pretty good sense of each property.

The Westin would be my last choice of the four.

See http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=700283
I haven't stayed at the Marriott myself, but have experienced the other three. I would agree that the Westin would also be my last choice.

Hilton McLean would be my first choice if I had to choose between the other three. None are in very good locations, though - you would in general need a car, though shuttles are available to various places.
Old Feb 23, 2008, 7:10 am

Programs: SPG PLT, Hyatt Diamond, 10% progress towards lifetime Hyatt Diamond
Just completed a stay, and it really is just "okay". As others have said, the reservation gives it a very Westin feel. The bed was great, as always, nice flat screen TV as well. However, room is already showing wear. Stains on carpet near door, paint peeling on ceiling in bathroom. Pool and gym were in decent shape.

Edited to add: Almost forgot. Doors are thinner than in other hotels I've stayed in recently. I could hear a lot of noise from the hall, and I don't think the people were being overly loud.

Last edited by Pizzaman; Feb 23, 2008 at 9:08 am
Old Jun 15, 2008, 3:48 pm

Programs: AA EXP/LT Plat, SPG Plat/LT Plat, HHonors Gold, Hyatt Plat, IHG Plat, MR Silver
Anyone have info on the suites here? Apparently, I'm staying in one shortly that has a King bed and pull out couch but was hoping for a little more detail.
Old Jun 22, 2008, 7:24 pm

Programs: AA EXP/LT Plat, SPG Plat/LT Plat, HHonors Gold, Hyatt Plat, IHG Plat, MR Silver
Originally Posted by troyb
Anyone have info on the suites here? Apparently, I'm staying in one shortly that has a King bed and pull out couch but was hoping for a little more detail.
FYI - I just wanted to post some details of my stay for future reference by others. Knowing that there were 3 in my party, I wanted to make sure we had 3 beds, whether it be 2 double and a rollaway or whatever else. I called the hotel directly and asked what the options would be and ended up getting a suite pre-assigned.

The suite was probably about twice the size of a normal room, but was a true 1-bedroom, 2 room suite. In the living room there was an extremely large 4 chair table and a large couch with 2 chairs. The bedroom had a king bed, desk, chair, and bathroom - essentially a normal room. Each room had a TV. What was nice about this setup for us was that the couch had a pull out mattress and the room was large enough for a rollaway.

Very happy with the room for a sub $100 rate. One odd thing - the platinum amenity card listed 250 points instead of 500, however I figured that it was simply a 4 Points card and didn't question it. We'll see what happens when the points post.
Old Jun 22, 2008, 8:18 pm
Company Representative - Starwood

Programs: SPG
Originally Posted by troyb
Very happy with the room for a sub $100 rate. One odd thing - the platinum amenity card listed 250 points instead of 500, however I figured that it was simply a 4 Points card and didn't question it. We'll see what happens when the points post.
Hi troyb,

Were you staying at the Westin or 4 Pts? Pardon me. I am not following clearly on your message.

But do let me know if there is any mistake in this case.

Thank you and have a great week ahead.

[email protected]
Old Jun 23, 2008, 11:20 am

Originally Posted by Starwood Lurker II
Hi troyb,

Were you staying at the Westin or 4 Pts? Pardon me. I am not following clearly on your message.

But do let me know if there is any mistake in this case.

Thank you and have a great week ahead.

[email protected]
I was staying at the Westin, but at check in the Platinum amenity card (which I was provided without asking for it) noted a 250 point amenity, rather than the 500 points which would normally be given for staying at a Westin. I just assumed that it was a 4 Points version of the card and that my 500 points would post properly, which they did.

Thanks for following up.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.