Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Westin Tysons Corner, Virginia [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Westin Tysons Corner, Virginia [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Jul 16, 2014, 1:08 pm

EYD3K rate?

I tried to apply EYD3K rate and it says it's invalid... I'd certainly pay $30 extra for 3000 points.

Originally Posted by herbertgzb
I have stayed at this hotel for multiple times and at this moment I feel obliged to write something for it.

First of all, this hotel is GREAT for a matress run on weekends. Lowest rate ever seen is $60 for a hot escape. What had been better? $99 for a EYD3K rate on weekends which gives you 3000 bonus points -- they chose to make that rate avaialble for all rooms. The EYD3K bargain was killed this June when they made it only available for a 3 nights minimum stay.

The hotel room is lack luster. A typical, nothing special Westin who has seen its age. No club lounge whatsoever.

But the hotel staff is really, really helping. They helped me on numerous situations, including today, where they went out of their way to refund me a non-refundable booking I made a couple of weeks ago, when I made a promise to just extend my stay for 1 day more and I'll need to use a different promotional code.

The front desk manager listened to me carefully, noticed that I made a booking with hot escape rate for $68/night on Friday/Saturday. The Monday rate went for a hefty $233 when I find myself in an awkard situation -- I could have booked somewhere else but I just don't want to...I did however found the Z3H rate available where I get 1 night free after 2 nights. So that makes it $102/day.

Anyways, he showed me on the front desk computer that he manually removed my former reservation, polite me told me a couple of times that it takes time to let the refund show up. Then, since he can't book me with the promotional rate, he let me to book via my cellphone. To my frustration, SPG website won't work at exactly that moment. He took it over again, and manually made the booking for me after verifying the rate on my cellphone. It now shows up in spg system with everything correct.

To make another note, the Plat would have the full breakfast buffet downstairs, which is quite good including various cold cuts, kiwi smoothie, and hot items.

All in all, this hotel constantly gives out excellent, excellent customer service and hospitality. While they don't give you "aspirational rooms", they give you aspirational service even on a Westin standard.
Old Oct 3, 2014, 8:38 pm

Programs: AA EXP, DL PM, Hyatt Glob, Marriott Ambassador/LTP, Nat'l Exec Elite, LEYE Gold
Currently staying here, thought I'd provide an update. Hotel is still beat up. For the first time at this property, I was upgraded for a two-night stay to a suite. Admittedly, I did call immediately prior to making the reservation (which I made when I was a few minutes away) to ask whether they had suites available, and I was told yes -- but the person who checked me in wasn't the same person as the one who answered the phone, and I received the upgrade without hassle, so that's something.

Suite is nothing special, but the extra space is nice. Four-person dining table, living room, etc.

The doors slam really hard here. By the time someone walks into the hallway and lets the door shut, it's too late to stop it from slamming, so everyone lets their door slam super loud at least once.

Grab-and-go sushi joint in the lobby is surprisingly good.

AAA rate of $74 is good as well. Parking is free.

Nothing else to say.
Old Oct 4, 2014, 3:51 am

Programs: UA Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, IHG Platinum, Accor Silver, Choice Privileges Gold
Do they have a shuttle that drops you off at the new metro stop? Didn't see anything on their web site. According to Google Maps, it's a 1.3 mile, 28 minute walk. tls
Old Dec 22, 2014, 11:11 am

I'm staying there this week with families, so far I gather this hotel:

1) It's beat up and old without renovation
2) Staff are nice and friendly
3) Not much else

Correct?
Old Dec 23, 2014, 6:24 pm

A minor thing, but if someone can correct the thread title, there's no apostrophe in the hotel name. It's "Tysons", not "Tyson's"
Old Dec 23, 2014, 8:16 pm

Originally Posted by atl475
I tried to apply EYD3K rate and it says it's invalid... I'd certainly pay $30 extra for 3000 points.
You will need to go to find your suite spot promo page and get linked from there. Otherwise code alone wouldn't work
It doesn't benefit anymore since there's a 3 night minimum, and this hotel is strictly $200+ Sun - Thursday. So 3 days has to include at least one day with the pumped up rate.
IMO there's better choice out there for $200+, and 3000 points, that is, 1000 points per day wouldn't cover the extra premium you pay between prepaid rate and flexible rate (rate on which EYD3K is based upon).
Old Dec 23, 2014, 8:20 pm

Originally Posted by Cathay Boy
I'm staying there this week with families, so far I gather this hotel:

1) It's beat up and old without renovation
2) Staff are nice and friendly
3) Not much else

Correct?
Plat got 2 full breakfast. Which typically include smoked salmon and fruit smoothy (you have to be early enough for the latter).
While the rooms are tired, the service is definitely one step up than your typical sheraton, including breakfast. In another way to put it, they do what they can to accommodate.
Old Dec 23, 2014, 8:24 pm

Originally Posted by thelostshark
Do they have a shuttle that drops you off at the new metro stop? Didn't see anything on their web site. According to Google Maps, it's a 1.3 mile, 28 minute walk. tls
Call them and ask. Believe they have a shuttle so they should do that. Walking is long and ison a very busy road
Old Feb 1, 2015, 7:52 pm

Programs: UA Plat MM, AA Gold MM, Marriott LTT, Hyatt Globalist
I just spent a weekend at Westin Tysons Corner after reading the reviews here.

I was pre-assigned a 2-room suite. The lobby, bar and restaurant areas looked like standard Westin décor and not old and tired as some reviews indicated. The suite was nicely appointed, with everything relatively new. The bathroom sink did look older with hairline cracks, but the rest of the bathroom was fine.

Plat breakfast was full buffet (even though the breakfast coupon has the standard Continental Breakfast language. The breakfast selection is not extensive, but has some nice items like smoked salmon, corned beef hash, French Toast with peanut butter and Dickson's Maple Syrup.

AAA rate was incredibly low at $60.65. The location was perfect for visit to Udvar-Hazy Air & Space Museum and National Firearms Museum. I would definitely stay here again when I'm in DC.
Old Feb 2, 2015, 7:39 am

If they are renovating it's great, but definitely the rooms we've stayed in (with family) are old, and the bathroom need an upgrade like 10 years ago.

Be aware that the hotel offers UNLIMITED FREE WATER BOTTLES all day long, so no need to buy your own (not just 2 bottles a day). The only downside is you have to keep asking and if you don't specifically ask for more than 2 they will only bring 2 to your room at a time.

It is cheap because other establishments around them are in the 21st century while they are stuck in 20th century.

But yes, if cheap price is important, you don't mind dated rooms, you enjoy a good breakfast and super friendly services, then yes, this one would be for you.
Old Mar 4, 2015, 5:08 pm

Programs: SPG
System glitch resolved. I am looking forward to my stay in May and will report back.

I have high hopes, customer service so far has been great.

Last edited by JasonC8301; Mar 5, 2015 at 7:28 pm
Old Sep 20, 2015, 5:17 pm
21A

FYI, self parking still appears to be free at this property, at least on weekends, though their site claims it's $10 to self-park. Also, contrary to the site, wifi appears to be free for all (no special machinations related to booking on spg.com, etc were needed).
Old Aug 23, 2022, 12:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AAdvantage Executive Platinum, Delta Silver Medallion, Marriott Bonvoy Ambassador
Just stayed there this weekend. No upgrade as an Ambassador, which struck me as odd, but, oh well. Full breakfast for two at the buffet is comped (valued at $21 pp). Breakfast was pretty good -- buffet with eggs, pancakes, French toast, hash browns, bacon, cereal, oatmeal, etc.

The first room we were assigned, when I pulled back the covers, the flat sheet had the remnants of a large bloodstain on it, right where the sheet is folded over. It was not fresh and had been washed, but it was obviously blood and it was large. Quite disturbing. I called downstairs to report this, and the front desk brought up a fresh set of sheets, expecting us to make the bed ourselves and leave the other sheets (including the bloodstained sheet) where? On the floor? In the hallway? Until housekeeping arrived in the morning? My husband advised the gentleman, rather tersely, that we should not be expected to make the bed in a hotel, so they needed to find another solution, and fast. Twenty minutes later, we were moved to another, smaller, room. This just got better and better. At least the room was spotless.

As for the famous Westin Heavenly Bed, we found the sheets this property used to be rough and not that comfortable.

Housekeeping is daily, which is a definite plus. They are also discreet. None of this banging on the door at 8:30 am, in spite of the Do Not Disturb sign you get at too many properties. And they kept our room very clean (we don't leave a lot of stuff lying about, so that helps, I suppose).
Old Aug 23, 2022, 2:19 pm

This was a Ramada Inn when I was a kid and lived nearby. I'm not sure how you upgrade those bones into a Westin.

This article says it was built as a Ramada in 1972 and converted to Westin in 2005:

https://www.hotelexecutive.com/newsw...hurch-virginia

Last edited by James Luckard; Aug 23, 2022 at 2:26 pm
Old Aug 28, 2022, 12:12 pm

Sheesh; I've lived within 20 minutes of there for almost 15 years and never knew there was a Westin there. Sounds like I found out the reason why I'd never heard of it, too. Learn something new every day.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.