Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Washington D.C. which hotel? 2007 onward [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Washington D.C. which hotel? 2007 onward [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Feb 26, 2010, 6:35 am

Programs: Star Alliance Gold, Skyteam E+, Bonvoy Titanium, Hilton Diamond
Club lounges

Does anyone know if any of hotels in the DC area (MD, VA) have a club lounge that's open during the weekends?

If not so - does any of these hotels provide breakfast vouchers for plats?

Any recent experiences?

Old Mar 5, 2010, 1:04 pm
Suspended

Programs: Delta - Gold; Starwood - Platinum; HHonors - Diamond & Avis Preferred
My current ratings for Washington, DC (proper) properties. I haven't had a stay at the W, so it's not included.
  1. The Fairfax
  2. Westin Grand
  3. 4 Point Washington, DC
  4. Westin City Center
  5. St. Regis

In all honesty, the Westin City Center and the St. Regis are a toss up.
Old Mar 11, 2010, 8:38 pm

Programs: Delta,SPG, Hyatt
I have searched the entire net for my answer. Cherry blossom festival technically ends the 11th...Four Points, Fairfax, and Westin Grand are all sold out April 17, and the prices for that particular weekend are in the 250 to 360+....any ideas
Old Mar 12, 2010, 9:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: AA Plat / UA NOTHING / Alaska 75K / Hyatt Diamond / SPG LT Plat / Marriott Gold / Priority Club Plat / Hertz Pres
Ok, I've searched about a half dozen threads and I'm still waffling on where to stay for 4/2-4/4. I can get a decent rate at the Westin Grand, City Center and 4 Points. Out of the three, it looks like the Grand would be a logical choice but I just called them to check a couple of items.

Does the Grand really not have an executive lounge? Seems kind of weird for a big city Westin. And parking there seems expensive (I know, it's DC) and I'd guess it's pretty similar to any DC hotels.

I can get the 4P for $119 non refundable or the Grand for about $125 (ZBT) non refundable.

Anyone care to chime in from a Plats point of view on a recommendation?
Old Mar 12, 2010, 10:30 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by fireworksboy
Ok, I've searched about a half dozen threads and I'm still waffling on where to stay for 4/2-4/4. I can get a decent rate at the Westin Grand, City Center and 4 Points. Out of the three, it looks like the Grand would be a logical choice but I just called them to check a couple of items.

Does the Grand really not have an executive lounge? Seems kind of weird for a big city Westin. And parking there seems expensive (I know, it's DC) and I'd guess it's pretty similar to any DC hotels.

I can get the 4P for $119 non refundable or the Grand for about $125 (ZBT) non refundable.

Anyone care to chime in from a Plats point of view on a recommendation?
I visit DC Frequently and my post from March 5 is pretty accurate.

No, they don't have an Executive Club. No many US Westin's have one (as often discussed here on FT) so I'm not sure why they comes as a surprise.

If "price" is not an option, I would then use "location" as my next data point. The Fairfax is located on Dupont, The Westin Grand is a short walk/drive away. Plenty of restaurants near both and good public transit. The four points doesn't have as many nearby/close amenities.
Old Mar 12, 2010, 11:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: AA Plat / UA NOTHING / Alaska 75K / Hyatt Diamond / SPG LT Plat / Marriott Gold / Priority Club Plat / Hertz Pres
Originally Posted by Cheap Elite
I visit DC Frequently and my post from March 5 is pretty accurate.

No, they don't have an Executive Club. No many US Westin's have one (as often discussed here on FT) so I'm not sure why they comes as a surprise.

If "price" is not an option, I would then use "location" as my next data point. The Fairfax is located on Dupont, The Westin Grand is a short walk/drive away. Plenty of restaurants near both and good public transit. The four points doesn't have as many nearby/close amenities.
Thanks CE. Guess I'll pull the trigger on the Grand. Any idea how they treat Plats concerning upgrades? I'd imagine the odds would be better on the weekend.
Old Mar 12, 2010, 11:35 am
Suspended

Thanks CE. Guess I'll pull the trigger on the Grand. Any idea how they treat Plats concerning upgrades? I'd imagine the odds would be better on the weekend.
Now you knew this was coming-----> Did you read my previous review - THAT INCLUDED PICTURES? LOL

The property doesn't have many suites, and IIRC, the few suites they do have are not select standard.
Old Mar 12, 2010, 12:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Cheap Elite
Now you knew this was coming-----> Did you read my previous review - THAT INCLUDED PICTURES? LOL

The property doesn't have many suites, and IIRC, the few suites they do have are not select standard.
Sorry, I must have skipped that page of the thread. PS - that post's pictures are no longer available - I get - "This image or video has been moved or deleted".

Great job on the review. Going to DC as a Plat I was hoping for lounge or good shot at an upgrade. Guess I'll settle for a really good hotel in a really good location. Thanks CE.^
Old Mar 12, 2010, 12:28 pm
Suspended

Sorry, I must have skipped that page of the thread. PS - that post's pictures are no longer available - I get - "This image or video has been moved or deleted".

Great job on the review. Going to DC as a Plat I was hoping for lounge or good shot at an upgrade. Guess I'll settle for a really good hotel in a really good location. Thanks CE.^

Oh God lord. I wonder what happened to my pics, thanks for the heads up.

The only properties with Lounges in the Metro Washington area are in VA.

Here are a few photos of the Grand

Old Mar 12, 2010, 3:27 pm

Programs: SPG Gold
Granted it has been a couple of years since I stayed their regulary but they were not one of the better hotels for giving upgrades, and when they did they were not that much better than the standard rooms. The Westin Embassy Row was good with the upgrades but I am dating myself by mentioning that.
Old Mar 12, 2010, 3:43 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by ghia74
Granted it has been a couple of years since I stayed their regulary but they were not one of the better hotels for giving upgrades, and when they did they were not that much better than the standard rooms. The Westin Embassy Row (now fairfax) was good with the upgrades but I am dating myself by mentioning that.
The Fairfax is good with upgrades. The location cannot be beat! ^
Old Mar 19, 2010, 2:46 pm

What is the best starwood hotel in DC?

I plan on using points while I'm in DC next month...anyone have any suggestions as to what the best starwood hotel is in DC (in terms of quality of the place and location)? I'm a big fan of Westins so considering either the Westin Grand or Westin City Center. Also considering the W hotel...

Thanks in advance!
Old Mar 19, 2010, 4:26 pm
Community Director Emerita

dayili, I'm going to move your thread into the Starwood forum and merge it into the thread that discusses DC properties. You'll find more than you could possibly think you wanted to know. And if there is something more that you need to know, just ask.

Welcome to FlyerTalk.

/mod
Old Mar 19, 2010, 9:43 pm

Programs: AC SE, AA EXP MM, UA Gold MM, Hyatt Glob, Marriott Titanium, HH Dia, IHG Plat
I too recommend the Fairfax, with UG to suite 812 at the back, nice views. A classy joint, excellent lounge and restaurant (the Jockey Club).
Old Jun 16, 2010, 9:09 am

Best Washington, DC Starwood Hotel for 4th of July Fireworks?

I can use either Free Weekend Nights for St Regis or points for the other hotels. What do y'all recommend?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.