Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Starwood | Starwood Preferred Guest
Reload this Page >

GONE: Fairfax at Embassy Row, Washington DC, Left SPG 12 Oct 2015 [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

GONE: Fairfax at Embassy Row, Washington DC, Left SPG 12 Oct 2015 [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Jun 4, 2013, 9:02 pm

Originally Posted by landeej
One night and $47 parking later, I had a nasty clunking noise for the entire 250-mile drive back home. After emailing back and forth with Kevin at the hotel, I was politely told that it was not the hotel's problem if I didn't report it before leaving the property. Now - let me understand something - I am supposed to magically know that something is wrong with my vehicle before I check out and drive away from the property and thus away from their liability?

Has anyone got a suggestion for a nearby parking lot for the week?

I don't fancy $47 x 7 days to keep my vehicle with the added potential bonus of clunking home the rest of the way!

cleo
Old Jun 4, 2013, 9:13 pm

Programs: Marriott Lifetime PLT
Will you be parking it for the full 7 days or just nightly? Parking in DC is expensive, but there are nearby office garages which will accept cars overnight for ~$25. If you are parking for all 7 days, I would suggest parking in the suburbs then taking the metro in.
Old Jul 10, 2013, 7:33 pm

Programs: AA PPro BA Bronze SPG Gold HH GLD Hyatt Exp
Enjoyed this property, even though it feels a little dated. I had breakfast included in my rate. It was lackluster at best, but for the price of the tip it wasn't too bad. As a gold I was upgraded to a deluxe with a sofa. The cute desk girl was an added bonus as well.

The neighborhood was fun to explore. We walked down embassy row and toured the Woodrow Wilson house. There is another mansion to tour, but we didn't have time to do the full tour.
Old Dec 23, 2013, 5:54 pm

Programs: Bonvoy Gold
Anyone stay here recently? Previous reviews seemed to be a mixed bag.
Old Dec 23, 2013, 6:08 pm

Programs: Club Awesome
Ive stayed in September. Second time I have stayed and both were good and no complaints. Great location, very helpful staff and nice rooms.
Old Dec 24, 2013, 3:05 am

Stayed here twice the last year. Rooms/suites facing the back can be quite noisy in the (very) early morning (garbage pick ups, delivery trucks) due to old (and not double-glassed) windows. I have not stayed in any of the rooms facing the front of the hotel (towards Massachusetts Ave) - maybe their windows are more soundproof?
Old Dec 24, 2013, 6:44 am

Programs: MR AMB/LT, AA EP, TK EP, DL D, B6 M4, F9 100K, IHG AMB/D, HH D, CZR D, FndCd, Sixt D, NTL E, Hz PC
I'm here (16?)17-20 JAN for a conference at the Hilton nearby. Should I SNA? I've never had SNA before, but should be hitting 52 nights by 31 DEC.
Old Dec 24, 2013, 8:49 am
BTA

Programs: Fly: AA EXP UA Gold MM Stay: Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Plat Drive: Avis PC, Hertz PC
I stayed here last week on a AAA hot deal. It was only $125, which seemed like an amazing deal for the location, although mid-December when congress isn't in session isn't prime time in DC. I walked over from the metro, and there are lots of local dining options within walking distance.

The property is old, but well maintained. The staff is excellent.

Breakfast was included in my rate. The buffet was rather uninspired, but it was fine for my needs.

I'd certainly return here, and would recommend this property if the location suits your needs. Its easy access to Metro makes it useful even if you don't need to be in the Dupont Circle area.
Old Dec 24, 2013, 9:27 am
Suspended

Programs: Delta - Gold; Starwood - Platinum; HHonors - Diamond & Avis Preferred
The physical building is old. However, the guest rooms were stripped down to the studs and rebuilt, sans some bathrooms. They reused vanities in bathrooms. I think I pointed that out in one of early review of this property. I have pictures.

The other point I wanted to make is there are not many "true suites" at this property due to its irregular shape. There are lots of enlarged rooms, but very few suites.

As a regular, I say, if you really need a suite, book one using a SNA.
Old Dec 24, 2013, 2:08 pm

Thanks. $106 incl. breakfast won me over.
Old Jan 10, 2014, 9:36 am

I recently stayed here for pleasure, and I thought I would pass long my take:

Pros
--Occasionally great rates ($130 a/i with breakfast for a Deluxe Room)
--Located 2 blocks from DuPont Circle Metro Station (Red Line)
--Lots of $$ to $$$$ restaurants in the area within walking distance. (PM me if you want suggestions)
--Quiet. We have an non-Mass. Ave-facing room on a high floor, and it was silent.
--Easy check-in process.
--Fridge in room.

Cons
--Parking price is ridiculous (~$47 / night)
--Breakfast selection and service was a miss (but this was due to be short-staffed).
--(paraphrase) Me: "Do you do anything special for folks who are celebrating a special occasion? Front Desk: "No."
--Room size is, at best, "you get what you pay for" -- I found the room's sq and the bathroom adequate, but not in keeping with what I have come to expect from a luxury hotel

I'd stay here again, and would recommend it to friends and family, when I need to be by the Red Line and do not have a car. DC has a lot of options, and the rate may tip you towards staying here over other options.
Old Jan 11, 2014, 9:27 pm

Programs: UA Plat MM, AA Gold, Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Gold, IHG Plat, Marriott Titanium Elite
Originally Posted by EkekoBWI

Cons
--Parking price is ridiculous (~$47 / night)

I'd stay here again, and would recommend it to friends and family, when I need to be by the Red Line and do not have a car. DC has a lot of options, and the rate may tip you towards staying here over other options.
All large cities, including New York, San Francisco, and Washington, have very high parking rates in the central city/downtown area. But the rates are not "ridiculous," they are competitive with other nearby hotels and people who don't know better pay them. I have lived in DC for 27 years and am surprised seasoned travelers don't already know this.

There are plenty of alternatives.

1. If you can fly or take Amtrak to DC, and the price is reasonable (which on Amtrak is true in the NE corridor if you books 14 days ahead), please do that. Amtrak is often cheaper when you consider gasoline and tolls.

2. If you must drive because you are visiting other areas in addition to DC, then park OUTSIDE of DC or at a Metro station that accepts overnight parking (a few do - they are listed at www.wmata.com).

3. If you must drive, in addition to parking at a Metro station (and depending on your plans), park near an Amtrak station along your route to DC.
Old May 30, 2014, 11:17 am

Programs: All of the Above
Have an upcoming stay here next month. Any comments on breakfast for Plats, or other Plat treatment?
Old Sep 20, 2014, 10:10 pm

Programs: JL GC | Marriott LT Silver | Global Entry | SQ Silver
Originally Posted by DavidAL
Have an upcoming stay here next month. Any comments on breakfast for Plats, or other Plat treatment?
I plan to stay here in March 2015 as well. What was your experience?

Based on the Platinum Breakfast thread, it seems we get continental breakfast only. No full buffet.
Old Sep 21, 2014, 3:25 pm

Programs: Southwest A-List, AMC Stubs A-List, Chick-fil-A-List
On my stay last month I was given access to the cold side of the buffet as the amenity breakfast. No stand out dishes on the hot side anyway. Serviceable but forgettable.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.