Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

SPG American Express [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jun 12, 2014, 11:11 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: CodeAdam10
For discussion of the now expired offer for a 35K signup bonus, see Amex SPG 35,000 business and personal cards-2016 [No referral offers in this thread.]

USA-issued card benefits changed on August 11, 2015. (Announcement & extended discussion at American Express and Starwood enhance cobrand credit card benefits.) The benefits are slightly different for personal and business cards:

Public Links:
- Earn 100,000 bonus Marriott Bonvoy points after you use your new Card to make $5,000 in purchases within the first 3 months. Offer ends 04/24/2019.

- The Annual Fee is $450.

- Earn 6x at Marriott properties; 3x on restaurants and airfare; 2x on all other purchases.

- Enjoy up to $300 in statement credits each year of Card Membership for eligible purchases at participating Marriott Bonvoy hotels

- FREE NIGHT AWARD: Receive 1 Free Night Award every year after your Card account anniversary. Award can be used for one night (redemption level at or under 50,000 Marriott Bonvoy points) at a participating hotel.

- COMPLIMENTARY GOLD ELITE STATUS: Enjoy complimentary Marriott Bonvoy Gold Elite status with your Card. Earn Marriott Bonvoy Platinum Elite status after making $75,000 in eligible purchases on your Card in a calendar year.

- Other Highlighted Benefits: Priority Pass Select Membership, Global Entry credit, No Foreign Transaction fees.

- Earn 100,000 bonus Marriott Bonvoy points after you use your new Card to make $5,000 in purchases within the first 3 months. Offer ends 04/24/2019.

- $125 Annual Fee (If application received before 03/28/19, $0 intro annual fee for the first year, then $95)

- Earn 6x at Marriott properties; 4x at U.S. restaurants, at U.S. gas stations, on wireless telephone services & on U.S. purchases for shipping; 2x on all other purchases.

- Free Night Award: Receive 1 Free Night Award every year after your Card account anniversary. Award can be used for one night (redemption level at or under 35,000 Marriott Bonvoy points) at a participating hotel.

- Complimentary Silver Elite Status

- No Foreign Transaction Fees

Other related discussion:
Print Wikipost

SPG American Express [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Jan 15, 2014, 11:19 am

Denied a bonus.
Old Jan 15, 2014, 11:20 am

After making the entire spend; didn't think to check it before making the spend.
Old Jan 15, 2014, 11:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

So there are two bonuses - the sign up bonus and the spend bonus. Were you denied both?
Old Jan 15, 2014, 12:02 pm

I was denied the spend bonus. Received sign-up bonus of 10,000; was denied any spend bonus at all, much less the 20,000 I was expecting.
Old Jan 15, 2014, 12:03 pm

Received the entire 30,000 on the biz card, as I didn't have any AmEx biz cards in my portfolio.
Old Jan 16, 2014, 7:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: MSY; 2-time FT Fantasy Football Champ, now in recovery.
Programs: AA lifetime GLD; UA Silver; Marriott LTTE; IHG Plat,
Unable to Issue Rewards Points

I got a smail mail letter today from Amex, dated Jan 10, referencing my SPG Amex card.

"We are writing to let you know we have issued a statement credit to the account listed above. Due to a technical error, we were unable to issue rewards points to your account at the time that you earned them. The credit represents the value of those points. We apologize for any inconvenience this may have caused.

You will see the credit reflected on an upcoming statement..."

Did anyone else get this, recently or in the past? It doesn't say when I'll see the credit (it's not there yet), or how many points are affected, or how they will calculate points value to dollars. But I'm not happy. If I wanted cash back, I'd use a cash back card.
Old Jan 16, 2014, 8:16 pm

Originally Posted by swag
I got a smail mail letter today from Amex, dated Jan 10, referencing my SPG Amex card.

"We are writing to let you know we have issued a statement credit to the account listed above. Due to a technical error, we were unable to issue rewards points to your account at the time that you earned them. The credit represents the value of those points. We apologize for any inconvenience this may have caused.

Did anyone else get this, recently or in the past? It doesn't say when I'll see the credit (it's not there yet), or how many points are affected, or how they will calculate points value to dollars. But I'm not happy. If I wanted cash back, I'd use a cash back card.
I too received this letter and I am interested in what this means. I guess I will just have to wait until my next statement hits to see what credit they give me.
Old Jan 16, 2014, 10:00 pm

I got this letter as well. I noticed on my last statement (closed at the end of Dec) that there was a credit posted in the amount of $0.09. I actually contacted them about it because it was just after the Target fiasco and I had used the card at Target. The agent I messaged with confirmed the credit was from Amex directly and that I didn't need to worry about anything. She didn't say anything about points - presumably she didn't know at that point what was going on. I don't know why or for what reason they were unable to issue points - but presumably for others the credit could be much larger.

Ironically, both of my Amex cards end in the same 4 numbers, so I was unsure when I got the letter which account it was in reference to.
Old Jan 16, 2014, 10:10 pm

I got it too. Hopefully the credit is decent since I was really looking forward to the points.
Old Jan 17, 2014, 10:38 am

Programs: Hyatt Global, Marriot Lifetime Titanium
I wasn't sure whether I would receive the spend bonus because I had an Amex Delta as an additional card holder to my spouse's primary account.

But after getting SPG Amex and meeting the spend requirement, the bonus came through promptly.
Old Jan 17, 2014, 11:00 am

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, SPG Platinum, Hilton Diamond, A3 Gold
How long does it take to receive SPG Gold Status after having put $30k on the SPG AmEx credit card?

How long will the status be valid for?
Old Jan 17, 2014, 11:21 am
Suspended

Programs: Delta - Gold; Starwood - Platinum; HHonors - Diamond & Avis Preferred
Originally Posted by FlyingExplorer
How long does it take to receive SPG Gold Status after having put $30k on the SPG AmEx credit card?

How long will the status be valid for?
How long after $30K SPG Amex spend does it take to get gold status?
Old Jan 17, 2014, 11:45 am

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, SPG Platinum, Hilton Diamond, A3 Gold
Thanks! Sounds like the official answer is 4 months and the is official 4 days. Lol.
Old Jan 17, 2014, 1:48 pm

Let us know what they value the points at. Seems that they may have overcommitted and decided it was cheaper to issue credits than buy more points from their partners.
Old Jan 18, 2014, 11:20 am

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, Marriott Ambassador/Lifetime Titanium, Accor Silver, Club Carlson Gold, BW Diamond
Originally Posted by CFFrost
I got this letter as well. I noticed on my last statement (closed at the end of Dec) that there was a credit posted in the amount of $0.09. I actually contacted them about it because it was just after the Target fiasco and I had used the card at Target. The agent I messaged with confirmed the credit was from Amex directly and that I didn't need to worry about anything. She didn't say anything about points - presumably she didn't know at that point what was going on. I don't know why or for what reason they were unable to issue points - but presumably for others the credit could be much larger.

Ironically, both of my Amex cards end in the same 4 numbers, so I was unsure when I got the letter which account it was in reference to.
I received the same letter yesterday. Called for an explanation. It turns out that I was credited 9 cents, also.

What a complete waste of my time (and their postage)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.