Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

SPG American Express [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jun 12, 2014, 11:11 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: CodeAdam10
For discussion of the now expired offer for a 35K signup bonus, see Amex SPG 35,000 business and personal cards-2016 [No referral offers in this thread.]

USA-issued card benefits changed on August 11, 2015. (Announcement & extended discussion at American Express and Starwood enhance cobrand credit card benefits.) The benefits are slightly different for personal and business cards:

Public Links:
- Earn 100,000 bonus Marriott Bonvoy points after you use your new Card to make $5,000 in purchases within the first 3 months. Offer ends 04/24/2019.

- The Annual Fee is $450.

- Earn 6x at Marriott properties; 3x on restaurants and airfare; 2x on all other purchases.

- Enjoy up to $300 in statement credits each year of Card Membership for eligible purchases at participating Marriott Bonvoy hotels

- FREE NIGHT AWARD: Receive 1 Free Night Award every year after your Card account anniversary. Award can be used for one night (redemption level at or under 50,000 Marriott Bonvoy points) at a participating hotel.

- COMPLIMENTARY GOLD ELITE STATUS: Enjoy complimentary Marriott Bonvoy Gold Elite status with your Card. Earn Marriott Bonvoy Platinum Elite status after making $75,000 in eligible purchases on your Card in a calendar year.

- Other Highlighted Benefits: Priority Pass Select Membership, Global Entry credit, No Foreign Transaction fees.

- Earn 100,000 bonus Marriott Bonvoy points after you use your new Card to make $5,000 in purchases within the first 3 months. Offer ends 04/24/2019.

- $125 Annual Fee (If application received before 03/28/19, $0 intro annual fee for the first year, then $95)

- Earn 6x at Marriott properties; 4x at U.S. restaurants, at U.S. gas stations, on wireless telephone services & on U.S. purchases for shipping; 2x on all other purchases.

- Free Night Award: Receive 1 Free Night Award every year after your Card account anniversary. Award can be used for one night (redemption level at or under 35,000 Marriott Bonvoy points) at a participating hotel.

- Complimentary Silver Elite Status

- No Foreign Transaction Fees

Other related discussion:
Print Wikipost

SPG American Express [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old May 31, 2012, 12:55 pm

Thanks folks. At least I'll save $65 on the fee, and as you pointed out, I should be able to get part 2 of the bonus. If I'm approved for the business card I should be able to get both. I'll provide an update, in due time (if I forget, and you're interested, please PM me with reminder to post results, process will take 2 or 3 months).
Old Jun 2, 2012, 11:19 am

Actually it looks like one year from the account closure to get either bonus ... I just applied for the SPG business card and this time I carefully read the terms and conditions, that's what it said. So accordingly, if I get approved for the Business card I should get both, but for the Personal I may not get either
Old Jun 4, 2012, 12:27 pm

Programs: UA-1k, 1mm, Marriott-LT Platinum, Hertz-Presidents Circle
Got a ? about a bonus posting.

I signed up for the personal and business jan 1 and got both. 10k initial and 15 after 5k in first 6 months. I got my personal card both bonuses and just got the 15k for my business card today.

Earn +15000 06/04/2012 SPG AX NEW MBR SPEND BONUS-OPN
Earn +5000 06/04/2012 SPG AX LOYALTY BONUS

However I don't know what this loyalty bonus is. Anyone have an idea? It posted the same day as my business card 15k for new member spend but what is the 5k for?

Thanks.
Old Jun 4, 2012, 1:03 pm

Originally Posted by schley
Earn +5000 06/04/2012 SPG AX LOYALTY BONUS

However I don't know what this loyalty bonus is. Anyone have an idea? It posted the same day as my business card 15k for new member spend but what is the 5k for?
That's what a referral bonus looks like, IIRC. Could that explain it?
Old Jun 4, 2012, 10:31 pm

Programs: UA-1k, 1mm, Marriott-LT Platinum, Hertz-Presidents Circle
Originally Posted by beltway
That's what a referral bonus looks like, IIRC. Could that explain it?
Oh great! Thanks I totally forgot I referred a couple people.
Old Jun 7, 2012, 6:47 am

Does the Starwood credit card offer ever change?

I'm thinking about getting an SPG card before my month long trip to southeast asia in december and January. Do they have special offers or is it always the 10k +15k offer?
Old Jun 7, 2012, 6:53 am

Programs: AA Plat, Alaska MVP, HHonors Gold, IHG Plat, Hertz PC, National Executive Elite, UA Kettle
Does the Starwood credit card offer ever change?

I believe I signed up with a 40,000 point offer, but that has been eons ago. I think there was a 30,000 point offer a year or so back. So it changes, but not by much.
Old Jun 7, 2012, 6:58 am

Programs: UA Gold, former AA Gold
Originally Posted by flyguy86
I'm thinking about getting an SPG card before my month long trip to southeast asia in december and January. Do they have special offers or is it always the 10k +15k offer?
Note that the SPG Amex has a foreign transaction fee of 2.7%, which you might consider before using it in SE Asia.

There were 30K offers in Aug 2010 and Aug 2011. No guarantee that they'll return.
Old Jun 7, 2012, 7:31 am

i will mostly use the points. I will use my sapphire for the daily expenses.
Old Jun 13, 2012, 4:29 am

Successful Churn Report

I closed my 9-year old SPG personal card two months ago and received a new one a couple weeks ago. I sent a secure message to inquire about whether I would receive the bonus, and got a positive response:

"Yes, your account is eligible to receive 25,000 Starpoints

I have checked your Card account and see that the promotional offer associated with your Card account is:

- Earn 15,000 Starwood points after spending $5,000.00 within 183 days of acquisition.
- Earn 10,000 Starwood points if you make a first purchase within 365 days of acquisition.

I see that 10,000 points have already been issued on 06/06/2012 however, the 15,000 Starwood points will be credited to your account within 6 - 8 weeks of meeting the $5,000.00 spend.

I do hope I have provided you with sufficient information to resolve your inquiry to your satisfaction.

We value your membership with us since 1993. Have a great day ahead!
Sincerely,
#####
Email Servicing Team
American Express Interactive Services"

I logged into SPG and there were the 10K points -- wee-hoo! YMMV.

Last edited by yosithezet; Jun 13, 2012 at 12:24 pm Reason: Removed employee name, TOS violation
Old Jun 13, 2012, 7:25 am

Combining cards possible?

I'm wondering if two married people could combine points from their SPG accounts? Ok, so they could have a joint card - but in our case one of us would have work expenses and would rather keep the charges for those expenses separate.

Also, what are requirements for having a business amex? Must you own a business, or could you use it for your work expenses even if you work for someone else? And could you have two SPG amex cards this way? I have work expenses and it would be nice to have a completely separate bill for them, but my company isn't going to get me a credit card.

Thanks.

Tony
Old Jun 13, 2012, 8:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Yes - married people, assuming they have the same address on their SPG accounts, can transfer points to each other. It's even a bit more flexible than that, but that is definitely do-able.

I currently have a Business Amex SPG for my business, but a few years ago, I just opened one and used it personally. I don't think the rules are that tight, and there's good reason to do the business version, since you get the Amex Open discounts.
Old Jun 13, 2012, 8:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LTG (EXP), Hilton Silver (Dia), Marriott LTP (PP), SPG LTG (P) > MPG LTPP
Originally Posted by atjsfo
I'm wondering if two married people could combine points from their SPG accounts? Ok, so they could have a joint card - but in our case one of us would have work expenses and would rather keep the charges for those expenses separate.

Also, what are requirements for having a business amex? Must you own a business, or could you use it for your work expenses even if you work for someone else? And could you have two SPG amex cards this way? I have work expenses and it would be nice to have a completely separate bill for them, but my company isn't going to get me a credit card.

Thanks.

Tony
Many have reported opening both a personal and business account. Having a bone fide business is not a requirement. Also you will get twice the stays/nights offered by SPG reducing your actual stay requirements for elite qualifications.

A big word of caution is to protect the business card! You do not get the same consumer protection on the business card like you do with your personal card. If it is compromised, you loose much more than you would if your personal card is misused.
Old Jun 13, 2012, 9:42 am

Programs: AA, SPG, HERTZ, BA, UA, CO, JB
Originally Posted by josephstern
It's an affiliate link, not a full separate booking engine. It just passes you over to SPG's site, and then UR gets some percentage of whatever I do there. It's similar to Amazon's affiliate program.
Can I get some info on this affiliate link?
Old Jun 13, 2012, 9:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by flyerwanabe1
Can I get some info on this affiliate link?
It's really not appropriate for this thread - please see the Sapphire thread:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/credi...ts-thread.html

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.