Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Starwood | Starwood Preferred Guest
Reload this Page >

New 14 day cancellation policy for awards? (Now clarified by SPG - it's not the case)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

New 14 day cancellation policy for awards? (Now clarified by SPG - it's not the case)

Search this Thread

Old Jul 22, 2007, 2:25 pm

Programs: Starwood Plat, CX Gold
Originally Posted by luv2buynfly
I just called in and questioned the policy with an SPG agent. I was told that if I booked the hotel though her, the cancellation policy was 6pm day of arrival, but if I booked it online through spg.com I would be subject to the 14 day cancellation policy. So two different policies at the same hotel. The only difference being how they are booked. This is crazy!!!

I had her go speak to a supervisor and she came back and confirmed it. She did say the issue "may" be temporary, but couldn't confirm it as a bug nor as an official policy change.

Lets hope it is just a bug. I can't call in for all my redemptions...
I called in as well, 14 day on the website, 6pm on the day over the phone (as usual) - I guess it is just a glitch that will be sorted out.

Two things that concern me;

1. All the run of the mill members(non FTer's) that booked on-line this weekend, cancel and get stuck with a rack rate charge.

2. This thread may give an idea to the SPG execs for the next round of "enhancements".
Old Jul 22, 2007, 2:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Sirecca
Let's hope the 14 day thing isn't true.

But I'm still shocked to learn that a property supposedly can charge a cash penalty (of their own choosing, apparently) on a stay paid with points. There's something wrong with that whole concept. The points they agreed to take in the first place makes them whole regardless if I stay or not.

Isn't it akin to a property on a cash stay trying to take your car if you are a no show? What's the connection between one and the other?
I cannot possibly imagine that this would be the case. NO WAY the credit card companies would (or should!) allow it, and if that fails, the courts. They just absolutely will never get away with charging you MORE for not showing up than for showing up.
Let's just all hope that this turns out to be a website bug.
Old Jul 22, 2007, 5:22 pm

14 days is a pretty severe restriction. When I have a choice in brands, this will be a major factor in not choosing Starwood. Basically, it's another large deflation in the value of points already earned and a big challenge to the notion of brand loyalty.

Addendum: I just made two award reservations by phone, and as described earlier, they are both 6 pm day-of-reservation cancellation policies instead of the 14 days listed on the web for the property. Very strange, as I thought Starwood was trying to migrate people to web reservations.

Last edited by agrater; Jul 22, 2007 at 5:39 pm
Old Jul 23, 2007, 9:53 am
Company Representative - Starwood

Programs: Marriott Employee Level
Thanks for your patience on this. This is obviously an error which has been turned over to the Q&A team. There has been no change in policy. In fact, when we went to duplicate this error, we could see the same 14-day cancellation policy, but when the reservation was completed a confirmation letter was sent that gave the right cancellation policy.

Each property sets its own cancellation policy, which is anything but static by the way. It can change seasonally or because of high/low traffic. SPG awards would carry whatever cancellation policy the hotel has in place at the time you book for.

Best regards,

William R. Sanders
Online Guest Feedback Coordinator
Starwood Hotels & Resorts Worldwide

[email protected]
Old Jul 23, 2007, 10:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM & 2MM, SPG/Bonvoid LT Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, $tarbucks Titanium
Thank you William for that clear, difinitive answer. Whew!

MODS: can we close this thread now?
Old Jul 23, 2007, 11:30 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage & Marriott Bonvoy

Programs: American ExPlat; Marriott/SPG Lifetime Plat; Hyatt Globalist
Thank you, William, for the prompt clarification!

Originally Posted by nroscoe
MODS: can we close this thread now?
Mod-wise, I see no reason to close this thread, as there may be follow-on questions. It makes more sense for them to be here than for people to start a new thread.

AZ
Old Jul 23, 2007, 12:01 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Bonvoy Platinum & LFT Gold, Hilton Gold, IHG Silver, Airmiles Onyx, Aeroplan, Avis President's Club
As the member who started this thread, I'm glad to see that it was a mistake. Strange mistake, as the mistake was for all properties, but anyway, I guess it was just some smoke & no actual fire... Now I just hope SPG won't take this idea and run with it ...

Last edited by NBSPGMEMBER; Jul 23, 2007 at 12:10 pm
Old Jul 23, 2007, 12:32 pm

Programs: No More Loyalty
Originally Posted by Starwood Lurker
Each property sets its own cancellation policy, which is anything but static by the way. It can change seasonally or because of high/low traffic. SPG awards would carry whatever cancellation policy the hotel has in place at the time you book for.
William, I would like some clarification on cancellation policy aside from number of days. If I make a one-night award reservation (most of my stays are one night) and I don't cancel in time, is it true that a property can charge me a monetary penalty (such as rack rate) instead of or in addition to keeping the points?

Thanks in advance (and thanks AZ for leaving this thread open.)

Edit to add: Your reply above suggests there is a single cancellation penalty regardless of whether a room is booked via cash or reward redemption.
Old Jul 23, 2007, 12:51 pm

Programs: Starwood Plat, CX Gold
They made it easier for themselves - no more points stayed being offered (joke)

As of Monday morning pacific time I cannot book any points stays on-line - none are being offered where I am currently looking (the whole of southern California) - presume this part of fixing the above problem or it could be completely new glitch. Urgh!
Old Jul 23, 2007, 12:52 pm

Originally Posted by Sirecca
William, I would like some clarification on cancellation policy aside from number of days. If I make a one-night award reservation (most of my stays are one night) and I don't cancel in time, is it true that a property can charge me a monetary penalty (such as rack rate) instead of or in addition to keeping the points?
They can do one or the other, but not both...but they will more likely take the money rather than the points.

Edit to add: Your reply above suggests there is a single cancellation penalty regardless of whether a room is booked via cash or reward redemption.
Single as in it is the same as whatever it is at the time it is booked regardless of it being cash or award.

Best regards,

William R. Sanders

[email protected]
Old Jul 23, 2007, 4:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM & 2MM, SPG/Bonvoid LT Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, $tarbucks Titanium
Originally Posted by AZ Travels the World
Mod-wise, I see no reason to close this thread, as there may be follow-on questions. It makes more sense for them to be here than for people to start a new thread.
good point, and glad you changed the thread title!
Old Jul 24, 2007, 6:50 am

Programs: Darth Vader of AMEX, A ladys best friend of Hilton, Pt78 of SPG, *G ,*S, ANA VIP
good news about award

hi,

i had to book an award for next week.

it said 14days blabla but now if i click on the stay information

it says

Stornierungsbedingungen: Cancel By 6Pm Hotel Time -Arrival Day To Avoid A 1 Night Penalty

so even it says 14days, in the reservation is 6pm .

so no problem!

dp
Old Jul 24, 2007, 7:44 am

Programs: SPG Platinum; Hilton Gold; Aeroplan
Thanks for the clarification!
Old Jul 24, 2007, 9:43 am

Originally Posted by Starwood Lurker
They can do one or the other, but not both...but they will more likely take the money rather than the points.
Why don't they take the agreed up price for the room: points if an award reservation or cash if that is what how the reservation was made? It would be fair to take the points for a no-show, but it doesn't seem right to take the cost of a full rack rate room if the reservation was not for that price.
Old Jul 24, 2007, 9:47 am

Originally Posted by emuyshondt
Why don't they take the agreed up price for the room: points if an award reservation or cash if that is what how the reservation was made? It would be fair to take the points for a no-show, but it doesn't seem right to take the cost of a full rack rate room if the reservation was not for that price.
Because it is a revenue management issue for the hotels and we tell you in advance that the hotels are going to take the cash instead of the points.

Best regards,

William R. Sanders

[email protected]

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.