Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Westin Peachtree Plaza, Atlanta, GA [Master Thread]

Westin Peachtree Plaza, Atlanta, GA [Master Thread]

Old Sep 2, 2000, 8:55 am
Original Poster

Arrow Westin Peachtree Plaza, Atlanta, GA [Master Thread]

I booked a club room for the stopover I had in ATL after I got back from the Westin in the Caymans.... ( nice property for the most part btw - property review to follow in the next few days... )

Anyways back to the Peachtree -

My problems -

1. For a Club Level room these were SMALL.
2. Where were the robes?
3. HVAC and Toilet noise all night - the ac is run on a dampner system which means a big flap is openened to let cool or hot air in... This system needed to be cleaned and ouled - it sounded like nails on the chalkboard 2 times per hour - I have the smae type of system in my house and its churchmouse quiet. As for the toilet noise - the pipes would rattle anytime someone would flush - I dont know how far away these people were but the must have had some real bad food for dinner

4. Service Express ( can I stencil a NEW name on the phone "Service Express- IF we can find someone to make and then bring up your order )

But I can say the staff was VERY apologetic and tried to be helpful - but I think that they just had more on their plate than they were staffed to handle ( may have been some HUGE groups )

Wish I had listened to you all and stayed at the Perimeter westin...

I will say this having stayed at the Airport Westin and now the peachtree - I wouldnt recommend either UNLESS you just need a place to sleep ( close to the airport ) and the ATL Airport Westin is fine -

I am sure some of you will have comments or questions with this so please let me know either via email or here....
Old Sep 3, 2000, 11:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
I stayed at the Airport Westin last weekend as the Peachtree wanted over $200/nt, the Sheraton near where I wanted to be was sold out and the Airport was only $89. Based upon my previous "Peachtree" experience, the Airport is worth double what the Peachtree charges. I haven't stayed there in quite some time, as it is about the most sorely understaffed pathetic place ... everyone is "nice enough" but when it takes 1/2 hr to check in, and room service arrives "eventually" at an ambient temperature, I'd rather stay at a motel. Less aggravation, and save $100/nt.
Old Sep 6, 2000, 11:45 pm
Original Member and FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM/MM, AA ExPlat, Hyatt Glob, HH Dia, National ECE, Hertz PC
The rooms at the Peachtree are very nice ... but everything else was terrible when I stayed there over Thanksgiving, and though the staff was apologetic, I did not find the apologies very sincere considering my problems continued after my first complaints.
Old Sep 7, 2000, 1:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Many of these John Portman designed properties have not stood the "test of time" very well, IMHO. Though they were all the rage when they first opened, many of his designs look dated, and what's worse, look dated to the '70s. The design, materials, textures, and fabrics of the 1970's leave many of his properties looking like set pieces out of "Logan's Run" or something, IMHO. Giant, futuristic, impersonal monsters, at times. Can anyone remember when the Westin Peachtree contained a lake in the lobby?

Chris Hemmeter was another visionary who created many of the "mega" resorts in Hawaii (including, keeping somewhat on-topic, The Westin Maui), and some of his properties are showing their age as well, and don't hold up to the current standards of luxury hotels of say the resorts at Lanai. But due to the timelessness of the natural "looking" beauty and landscaping of his resorts there in Hawaii, they seem to be holding up better than Mr. Portman's. IMHO.
Old Sep 7, 2000, 10:53 am

Programs: UA-Platimum 2 MM, HH-Gold, MR-Lifetime Gold, Hyatt-Discoverist
Sad to say, I agree with the general poor assessment of the Atlanta Westin. I have to travel into ATL frequently, and have found the newly remodled dowtown Sheraton to be a good alternative. I've also gotten good service at the Westin Atlanta Airport (one of the few Westins with a club lounge--although be aware I was there last night and it is closed for remodeling).
Old Sep 7, 2000, 8:25 pm

Location: DFW, 3.5 MM, AA EXP, LIFETIME PLATINUM, MARRIOTT LIFETIME PLATINUM, STARWOOD AMBASSADOR 223 NIGHTS, AND LIFETIME GOLD, HILTON DIAMOND, NATIONAL EXECUTIVE ELITE
I stayed at the Westin Peachtree about 2 years ago and had a major run-in with the GM who was a total incompetent.

The "service" in that "hotel" is an absolute disgrace to the industry.

Personally, I would never set foot in there again.
Old Jun 29, 2001, 9:38 am

I just stayed at the Westin Peachtree for $27 through priceline. Bid on a 3 star hotel in downtown, and got this. Priceline considers this a four star property, which is a stretch. The hotel was sold out, and I only bid the day before I got there. Was upgraded to club level on the 42nd floor, but the lounge was undergoing renovation as was the main lobby. I was charged an extra $18 by the hotel for valet parking.
Old Jun 29, 2001, 6:29 pm

Programs: DL 3MM/DM, AA 3MM/PLT, UA 1K
I have stayed at the Westin Peachtree hotel 10+ times in the past 6 months. I put up with it because it is cheap for a Westin and very convenient to our office in Atlanta.

The service is always very poor. I often see the same person when I check in (which is every 3 weeks or so) and they always tell me where the elevators are, etc. like I've never been there before. Noisy Ice makers are on every floor. I actually unplug them if I get a room near them. The HVAC system is bad, and the bathrooms are noisy. The breakfast buffet is pretty bad--I stick with cereal.

On the contrary, I just got back from the Westin in Toronto where they said "welcome back" when I checked in (I stayed there once over a year ago) and the whole experience was excellent. They just have better staff and computer systems.
Old Jan 14, 2002, 10:28 am
Ambassador: World of Hyatt

Westin Peachtree Atlanta "A miracle reborn"

oops dupe

[This message has been edited by 777 global mile hound (edited 01-14-2002).]
Old Apr 20, 2002, 9:49 am

Photo id req'd to check into Westin Peachtree in ATL

Checked into this hotel last Thursday and everyone was being asked to provide a picture id. I was told that this is a new directive from Starwood though I didn't encounter this at the Westin ATL airport or the Westin St. Francis.
Old Apr 20, 2002, 9:54 am

Programs: LH HON, DL FO/MM, Marriott Lifetime Platinum, Accor Lifetime Platinum, Sixt Diamond
Experienced the ID checking as well at the W Times Square and the Westin Horton Plaza, San Diego.
Old Apr 20, 2002, 11:44 am

Programs: Whoever Has the Best Bonus
Also Sheraton Chicago towers. Not Sheraton Crystal City. Still a little spotty, though Chicago told me it is being rolled out nationwide...
Old Apr 20, 2002, 1:50 pm

Programs: UA MM-1P, Hilton Life Diamond, Marriot Life Gold, ICH Spire
More "illusion of security" nonsense.

Everyone is someone, right?
If you were someone else, why wouldn't you have reserved the room as someone else?
Or, is the purpose of this to make sure that you acquire phony picture-ID in the same phony name you make your reservations in?

The only positive benefit I can see from this is that it might save the hotel from time to time from accepting a stolen credit card.
Old Apr 20, 2002, 2:23 pm

Programs: "Only" 50,000 TPs until BA GGLfL
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by RichG:
More "illusion of security" nonsense.

Everyone is someone, right?
If you were someone else, why wouldn't you have reserved the room as someone else?
Or, is the purpose of this to make sure that you acquire phony picture-ID in the same phony name you make your reservations in?

The only positive benefit I can see from this is that it might save the hotel from time to time from accepting a stolen credit card.
</font>
Yup; I had this at the Inter-conti in NY the other day. What am I gonna do - fly the hotel inot a building?
Regards,
Alex

Old Apr 20, 2002, 4:06 pm
Suspended

I've been a bit puzzled about this as well. From Starwood's standpoint, I'm sure that because the Logan Airport terrorists were staying at the Westin, they want to appear to be addressing terrorism.

I also see it as a way to possibly prevent friends from using other friends status when checking in, or, getting your friends to check in for you to inflate your status.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.