Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Westin Miyako, Kyoto, Japan [Master Thread]

Old Sep 22, 2014, 11:36 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: ElevatorEnthusiast
The property does not participate in Suite Night Awards.
Print Wikipost

Westin Miyako, Kyoto, Japan [Master Thread]

Old Apr 18, 2012, 5:35 pm

Programs: AA EXP, PC PLT, SPG GLD
Checked in here and was told I got upgraded to a deluxe room, but I'm not sure. Is it possible to get Exec Club access using points? I'm already paying extra $ on a C&P stay for a third guest , but 2950 JPY x 3 per day for breakfast is a lot. I'm a lowly Gold, so no free breakfast. Are there any good options within walking distance?
Old Apr 23, 2012, 8:00 pm
Suspended

is there a direct bus from close to the Hotel to Kyoto station? I know theres a free shuttle and a subway a very short walk.

But 1 option is I will buy a bus pass the couple of days in town which is 500Y per day while a bus and subway is 1200Y. So in case I just missed the shuttle or its full I can opt to take a bus if there is 1 that doesnt require making a transfer

tia
Old Apr 24, 2012, 2:03 am

Programs: Bonvoy LT Plat, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, BMI Gold (RIP)
The shuttle bus runs to a timetable which it adheres to pretty tightly, so with a bit of planning you should be ok. If you do miss it, then from memory it is a short walk (5 minutes) down the road to a bus stop with services through to town.

We certainly came back to the hotel this way when travelling on a bus card when were in Kyoto, but we always caught the shuttle bus in to town and Kyoto station.

Hopefully someone with a slightly less hazy memory of the bus service will be along shortly to confirm or correct me!
Old Apr 24, 2012, 7:29 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA GS/4 MM, AA Exec Plat, Lifetime Hilton D, Hyatt G, Marriott Titanium earned Ambassador
craz I've never done the bus to/from Kyoto Station. But you should have no trouble yes with little planning using shuttle. The subway is right around the corner. Any bus option would get you more wet with rain than the short walk to subway station. That being said google maps should be very accurate letting you know bus options. At Kyoto Station the major bus transport lines are on the opposite side of the pick-up location for the Westin shuttle. The Station is easy to navigate. Just stay on the upper (above ground) levels. Even the basement areas are not that much of a maze. Enjoy!
Old Apr 24, 2012, 7:42 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by RTWSTARALLIANCE
craz I've never done the bus to/from Kyoto Station. But you should have no trouble yes with little planning using shuttle. The subway is right around the corner. Any bus option would get you more wet with rain than the short walk to subway station. That being said google maps should be very accurate letting you know bus options. At Kyoto Station the major bus transport lines are on the opposite side of the pick-up location for the Westin shuttle. The Station is easy to navigate. Just stay on the upper (above ground) levels. Even the basement areas are not that much of a maze. Enjoy!
My concern was say I arrive 5 mins after the shuttle left, I dont want to simply hang around for 25 mins especially when coming in from KIX. So if I have a 3 day pass why not jump on a bus. The same when leaving just missed the shuttle dont want to wait around for another 25 mins.

I hope to make use of the shuttle but its nice to know my options should I want to avail myself of them

Didnt know it was the rainy season now, oh well it will be what it is
Old Apr 24, 2012, 8:03 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA GS/4 MM, AA Exec Plat, Lifetime Hilton D, Hyatt G, Marriott Titanium earned Ambassador
If you miss the shuttle at Kyoto Station go to the revolving sushi restaurant which is to the right if looking back towards the Station from the shuttle stop. Enjoyable way to spend time.

The rainy season will end by mid July. My wife cautions every year is different so do not be discouraged. Enjoy Kyoto!
Old Apr 24, 2012, 8:47 pm

Programs: HH Diamond, SPG Plat; no plans for chasing any more airline status.
Suites

I see upthread they have 17 jr. suites and 12 "executive suites." On this topic I have two questions:

1) Is there much of a difference between the two?

2) Using my "suite nights" I can only select up to the jr. suite. If I do not use my suite nights at all and just hope for an at-check-in-ug, what are my chances? As a plat, am I likely to get a Jr. suite? What about the exec? If it's a special occasion (which it is), does that help?

Any input/experience would be great.

PS - dates are 8/31 -9/3
Old Apr 25, 2012, 7:27 am
Original Poster

My take from years of visiting this hotel is anything that has a door would be a suite. A junior suite would be a larger room but in the past we have received junior suites as stated by hotel that are more like a traditional suite with a door. These are usually in the older "renovated" area of the hotel without much of a higher view.

I think your timing is pretty good as can not think of any major Japanese holidays during the period. It is a weekend so that ALWAYS comes into play as a negative. Even with our multiple multiple stays I do not hold out hope anymore for exec suite. You should contact the hotel letting them know you are putting in for suite upgrade and also kindly asking for additional consideration if possible. We very much enjoyed our last upgrade and it was not a full suite. Enjoy Kyoto!
Old Apr 25, 2012, 11:21 am
Suspended

just a heads up, I made my award res a few months ago for 4/30-5/3 when the rate was close to $350 per night and before it was announced it was going up to a Cat5 from a Cat4

I thought Id give a peek to see what the room inventory looked like to see what my chances were for an Upgrade out of the lowest room type and saw the Rate was now 11000Y per night. So I just CXed my award stay (10k per night) the 11k is a non-refundable rate since my res is this coming Mon and Im on a pd tkt a no-brainer to pay and save the Pts when I can get a better use then .0135 per pt
Old May 1, 2012, 1:26 pm
Suspended

My take from years of visiting this hotel is anything that has a door would be a suite. A junior suite would be a larger room but in the past we have received junior suites as stated by hotel that are more like a traditional suite with a door. These are usually in the older "renovated" area of the hotel without much of a higher view.

I think your timing is pretty good as can not think of any major Japanese holidays during the period. It is a weekend so that ALWAYS comes into play as a negative. Even with our multiple multiple stays I do not hold out hope anymore for exec suite. You should contact the hotel letting them know you are putting in for suite upgrade and also kindly asking for additional consideration if possible. We very much enjoyed our last upgrade and it was not a full suite. Enjoy Kyoto!
checked in on Mon, orginally had a 3 night 10k per night res (rate was apx $350) last week rate vdropped to 11000Yen and I switced my res to apaid one. Either way it was for a Smoking queen room. Was delayed getting into KIX by 2 hrs walked into the hotel @ 8pm I asked what type of bed I was given (knew only Deluxe City view Kings and 4 single beds were available for non-smoking. Was told Im on the 11th floor in a King.

Got off the elevator and walked passed all these rooms with 'SPG preferred" written on them to what seems to be an extenstion wing. said to myself at least its a non-smoking room. Get to 1116 and it says "The Residence" under the room #.

Turn sout to be a very large room with a 50" flat screen. could find the a/c controls so I called and was told its on the wall. i checked the walls again and then the phone rang with an apology seems the Suites have the controls next to the bed on the night stand. This morn I peeked into a double bed room that had the SPG on it and boy is it tiny. Now my room has that 50" TV in the middle to divide the room in 1/2 so could be its a JR suite I dont care as long as its non-smoking and at a min 2x the size of the rooms just off the elevator.The Exec lounge is on the 10th floor so all I need to do is to walk straight to the elexvator and take the staircase down 1 floor. Im in the South wing
Old May 1, 2012, 1:35 pm
Suspended

Got a bit lost at the station, headed out towards the 'Buses' then after asking and a couple of people making hand gestures found myself heading up and over and then on the other street. then i saw a hotel shuttle so I crossed over to it and was shown where I needed to wait, no signs whatsoever

I will say had I had checked bags it would have been a big hassle, I think anyone checking bags should do themselves a favor if they wont be riding the rails all over but staying put in Kyoto, to take the Limo-Bus instead of the train. @ KIX they can wheel the cart up to the bus and at Kyoto its a small walk across the street to the hotel shuttle. Alot easier then schelping bags up and down at both KIX and here in Kyoto

OT why do hotels get brandd as Westins when they dont have the heavenly shower or bed? Since I made out very nicely with an upgrade Im not gonna be complaining and calling up about it. Its not my 1st time this has happened and in kyoto its not like I had a choice of which *W to stay at but it would be nice if there was some consistency
Old May 1, 2012, 2:01 pm
Original Poster

Sounds like you have what we had last time. Enjoy Kyoto!
Old May 1, 2012, 4:29 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage & Marriott Bonvoy

Programs: American ExPlat; Marriott/SPG Lifetime Plat; Hyatt Globalist
Sounds like you have what we had last time. Enjoy Kyoto!
Which sounds like a faaaaaaaaaaarrrrrrr cry from what this Platinum member received last time.

Yes, enjoy Kyoto -- what a wonderful city. And when you're tired of temples and culture, go to the monkey park -- it's very cool!
Old May 1, 2012, 7:47 pm
Suspended

Thanks guys, Ky is a very nice city. It was overcast all day yesterday and a steady rain so far today, hope it stops so that I can get out and walk.As I have a 2pm train to KIX tomorrow, if not I will be back

Like alot more then Tokyo, its very quaint in a way and great for simply people watching by the dept store Daimaru.Anyway walked apx 8 hrs yesterday no buses, took the shuttle to the Station then over to Higiashi then to Nishi then Nishiki mkt then Pontocho, Yasaka and Gion and somehow managed to actually get my body back to the Westin by 6:30pm. Hoped to hit Pontocho and Shambisi again at night but I couldnt move!

Hope to hit those places tonight if the rain stops

the best was simply walking down any small st that looked inviting got many a stare from the locals like what are doing around here. Any time I wiped out the map to check where I was in no time someone came over to help out.

Was hoping to spend the day in some of the gardens but literally will have to take a raincheck on that

I will as later what kind of room I have, Jr suite or reg suite. It doesnt really matter as its just what the doc ordered and very happy with it
Old May 1, 2012, 8:29 pm
Original Poster

Everything worked very much in your favor save for the rain.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.