Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Westin Miyako, Kyoto, Japan [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Sep 22, 2014, 11:36 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: ElevatorEnthusiast
The property does not participate in Suite Night Awards.
Print Wikipost

Westin Miyako, Kyoto, Japan [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Nov 15, 2009, 6:57 pm

Programs: Via Preference Privilege, AC*A, Fairmont Plat, SPG Gold
Booked the Westin Kyoto on a BRG rate and I emailed the hotel and they agreed to upgrade my reservation in advance for Starpoints ^ The 2000 starpoints off the BRG covered 1/3 of the cost of the upgrade for 4 nights as well

I'm booked at the Executive level now, how big is the lounge? Does it have a nice view or anything? Were the offerings in the morning/evening like a western *w hotel would have or did they have Japanese cuisine?

Last edited by will5404; Nov 15, 2009 at 7:16 pm
Old Feb 14, 2010, 2:40 pm
Suspended

I will be staying at this property in early June and I believe I have a good grasp as to what to expect from this hotel as a result of the prior posts and that is most appreciated!

However, one remaining question I have is the use of the gym/pool facilities at this property. I have read elsewhere that there is a charge for the use of these and I was wondering if anyone knew whether such charge was waived for platinum guests.

I do believe that the hotel identifies these facilities as private despite their being on property.

Thanks.
Old Feb 15, 2010, 6:21 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA GS/4 MM, AA Exec Plat, Lifetime Hilton D, Hyatt G, Marriott Titanium earned Ambassador
That is a good question. I believe they are comp for P members. Will have a my wife call the Hotel later today and confirm back.
Old Feb 15, 2010, 10:34 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by RTWSTARALLIANCE
That is a good question. I believe they are comp for P members. Will have a my wife call the Hotel later today and confirm back.
Many thanks RTWSA!

I want to thank you for your exciellent reports of hotels and itins in Japan. I have been reading them avidly and hope to contact you via PM on any questions i might have if you don't mind?
Old Feb 15, 2010, 11:17 am

Programs: Bonvoy LT Plat, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, BMI Gold (RIP)
Originally Posted by NJUPINTHEAIR
Many thanks RTWSA!

I want to thank you for your exciellent reports of hotels and itins in Japan. I have been reading them avidly and hope to contact you via PM on any questions i might have if you don't mind?
+1 from me too - really appreciate the posts as we're off for a summer trip to Japan and they have been useful for our planning.
Old Feb 15, 2010, 7:29 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA GS/4 MM, AA Exec Plat, Lifetime Hilton D, Hyatt G, Marriott Titanium earned Ambassador
You are both very welcome. We very much enjoy Japan and I enjoy giving reports of our trips.

My wife just spoke with the front desk. P members are given comp access to the gym.
Old Feb 15, 2010, 9:14 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by RTWSTARALLIANCE
You are both very welcome. We very much enjoy Japan and I enjoy giving reports of our trips.

My wife just spoke with the front desk. P members are given comp access to the gym.
That is great to know!

Many thanks!

NJ
Old May 14, 2010, 12:47 pm

I just rechecked recent posts in preperation for another stay at this hotel, one of our most favorite SPG properties. Good to hear of all the fine reports on this board.

We are looking forward to seeing Violet Lin in the Concierge Lounge, remembering that the last time we were there, she was doubled over with a muscle spasm in her back, and was insisting on staying at work rather than going home to bed. Violet told me while sheading many tears of pain that if she was sent home, she had concerns that her Concierge Lounge guests would not get the service she was supposed to provide--What dedication!!!!

We also are looking forward to Conceriege Kaori Kato's suggestions about the hot new restaurants in Kyoto. On our last visit, she referred us to three spectacular restaurants a short distance from the hotel, all which received recognition by Michelin. On previous visits, we as well as others noted that one of the long time employees who had recently been assigned to the Concierge desk needed to be reassigned. On our most recent visit, the reassignment had occured and Kaori and her colleagues worked hard on our behalf.

This trip, I'll again look at the photos in the lobby of the famous guests who stayed at this hotel, looking for the names of RTW StarAlliance in one of the pictures. Based on his reviews of Kyoto, he should be pictured in this hotel's hall of fame!
Old May 14, 2010, 1:37 pm
Original Poster

Thank you for that. Speaking of this property. My wife will go back to Kyoto to visit her parents in July. I was amazed and pleased to find prepaid rates for the Westin at 10,500 yen all in. What was more amazing was that this was for two people. A bargain even with the advance of the yen to dollar.

In terms of food. Always amazed at the restaurants we find in Kyoto. Good food presented in elegent Kyoto style. Enjoy Japan!
Old May 23, 2010, 12:37 pm

Programs: UA/HH/Marriott Gold
We're planning a trip to Japan and I see that the Westin Kyoto has a "Recharge" rate for the nights we're looking for at 15,000 yen (incl. taxes) that includes breakfast and late checkout for a King Deluxe room. I am fairly tempted by this but haven't stayed at the Westin in many years and am still a little traumatized by memories of the unrenovated rooms. Neither my fiance nor I have any SPG status, so we will need to (gasp) pay to get what we want.

Booking a Deluxe should pretty much mean I get a decent room, right? (The same rate for the Superior is only 1,000 yen less so it definitely seems worth it to pay up a little.) And while the reservation only shows smoking as a choice, I'm assuming I have a pretty decent chance of a non-stinky room if I write a preference for non-smoking in the comments, and don't check in too late.

Thoughts/advice?
Old May 23, 2010, 6:20 pm

I made reservation for this hotel for 4 nights in July with Cash and Points, and it's showing the only room i can get is 2 double beds. Does that mean i will be put in those non-rennovated rooms? I seriously will not consider staying here if that's what they are putting me in.. I'm willing to use points to upgrade or what not, but I can't get them to answer my email about the room situation.

Any suggestions?
Old May 24, 2010, 12:02 am

Programs: STARS/LUMINOUS, PRIVE, FSPP, STARS, MO FAN Club, PEN Club, Bellini Club
Originally Posted by fayewolf
I made reservation for this hotel for 4 nights in July with Cash and Points, and it's showing the only room i can get is 2 double beds. Does that mean i will be put in those non-rennovated rooms? I seriously will not consider staying here if that's what they are putting me in.. I'm willing to use points to upgrade or what not, but I can't get them to answer my email about the room situation.

Any suggestions?
I'm in the same situation booked into a 2 double bed room on a cash & points for a stay next week. Will report back our experience. I have emailed a request to the hotel for a king.
Old Jun 2, 2010, 8:28 am

Originally Posted by zakami
I'm in the same situation booked into a 2 double bed room on a cash & points for a stay next week. Will report back our experience. I have emailed a request to the hotel for a king.
Please do, i still have not heard back from them..i will not stay there if I have to be in a double bed in an unrenovated area...
Old Jun 2, 2010, 2:58 pm
Original Poster

In Japan doubles or as I would say twins are pretty normal for older built hotels. I have noticed recently new builds have more king bed rooms. That is why sometimes it is more difficult to get a king bed room in some props. The Westin Kyoto has doubles in the main building and older building which has now been renovated. At least the room we had once in the older building was renovated. A king bed request may not be confirmed until closer to arrival as also a non-smoke. My take.
Old Jun 11, 2010, 4:04 am

Programs: United, SPG, Marriott
Japanese rooms at Westin Miyako Kyoto

My family and I (husband and 10-year-old twins) will be staying at the WMK in late July and I've reserved a Japanese style room for us on a paid stay through the SPG site (¥13,600/night). Has anyone stayed in this type of room recently, and if so, did it seem they had been updated along with the renovations to some/all of the Western-style rooms? We prefer to stay in Japanese style rooms if we can in Japan (my husband is Japanese-American and we both speak Japanese), but it is also a challenge to find places willing to accommodate 4 people in one room. I plan to email the hotel to explain there will be two kids; at the Westin Osaka, Kobe Bay Sheraton, and Park Hyatt Tokyo they have allowed us to stay in one room without an additional charge because the kids are under 12.

Also, does anyone know if we could use the SPG point upgrade (1500) to get Exec level benefits, even if there are no Japanese style room upgrades?

Thanks in advance for your input.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.