Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Westin Miyako, Kyoto, Japan [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Sep 22, 2014, 11:36 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: ElevatorEnthusiast
The property does not participate in Suite Night Awards.
Print Wikipost

Westin Miyako, Kyoto, Japan [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Feb 23, 2016, 12:43 pm
Moderator: Mileage Run, InterContinental Hotels

Originally Posted by drron
Even a year out the rates were very high at the time we wanted to stay-3/28-4/2.But was able to get room for 8000 points per night.
The rates they load during high season (cherry blossom and fall) are completely bizarre. Often 50k JPY rack rate is the only option available. I usually stay here on BRGs that come in at a third of the rate listed on SPG.com. Points, C&P (rarely loaded), and SPG-50 are also options worth looking into.

Arrival Date: March 25, 2016
Departure Date: March 27, 2016
Room Type: Superior room for two guests
Actual confirmed rate: 13,080.90 JPY including tax and service charge (16,351.13 JPY less 20%)
Old Feb 23, 2016, 5:41 pm

Originally Posted by jpdx
The rates they load during high season (cherry blossom and fall) are completely bizarre. Often 50k JPY rack rate is the only option available. I usually stay here on BRGs that come in at a third of the rate listed on SPG.com. Points, C&P (rarely loaded), and SPG-50 are also options worth looking into.

Arrival Date: March 25, 2016
Departure Date: March 27, 2016
Room Type: Superior room for two guests
Actual confirmed rate: 13,080.90 JPY including tax and service charge (16,351.13 JPY less 20%)
That's great rate! Is that rate still available. I have the hotel booked from March 20 to 23 on points. If I can get that rate, then I might just book it at that rate.
Old Mar 14, 2016, 8:46 pm

Programs: Fairmont Platinum, SPG Gold
Running Concierge

I was wondering if anyone had a chance to try out the running concierge. I was also wondering if there was a cost to it whether it just best to grab a map and go for a run yourself.

http://www.starwoodhotels.com/westin...fId=1004292693
Old Apr 20, 2016, 9:17 am

We're staying here on points for a few days mid-week in October, and I am leaning towards using 1500 points extra per day to secure an executive room (instant rewards).

But how does this work toward the chances of getting an ordinary platinum upgrade? Will they still check if I am eligible for an even better upgrade? Or is there a risk that the instant reward "locks in" that room type, rather than a better (and free) upgrade?

I also thought they would take the points and upgrade me now, but they claim I have to do it at check in....Will they still do that if the executive room is available for a complimentary platinum upgrade? Seems odd, if that is the case. Sorry for the questions, but I have in fact never used instant rewards before...
Old May 2, 2016, 6:31 am

Programs: DL DM, AA Gold, Bonvoy Titanium, Hyatt Glob, IHG Plat, Hilton Diamond, Amex Plat
Just spent 2 nights at this property.

Getting there: Actually really easy from the Kyoto train station. Very short walk from the Keage subway station. They do have a complimentary shuttle that also picks up from the station every 30 minutes or so. The proximity to the station of course makes it quite easy to navigate Kyoto during your stay as well.

Room: Upgraded to Junior Suite with two twin beds. Furniture (along with the rest of the hotel) was a bit dated, but otherwise thought the room was just fine. Had some problems with the wifi, but those were remedied with a quick call to service express.

Restaurants: Several in the hotel--mostly a good walk though from the guest rooms on the 3rd floor. Breakfast on the second floor was excellent. Easily the most expansive breakfast buffet spread I have seen in any of my stays. American and Japanese options.

While I suspect the Suiran to be nicer, I though this property was a good points value and awfully convenient. I wouldn't hesitate to stay there again.
Old May 2, 2016, 10:43 pm
Moderator: Mileage Run, InterContinental Hotels

I've stayed here quite a few times over the years, and couldn't imagine calling the breakfast "the most expansive spread I have seen in any of my stays" ... it's heavy on Japanese items, but the Western stuff is pretty uninspiring. Even by Japanese standards -and Japan doesn't have anywhere near the best breakfast spreads in Asia- the breakfast is mediocre -- SR Osaka and Westin Tokyo are much better, and even the Sheratons in Osaka and Hiroshima can easily keep up with Westin Kyoto.

As for the points value, yes, it can be great in high season (and I'm really surprised that this property didn't move back up to Cat 5 during the recent devaluation), but quite frequently, the place can be had via very reasonable BRGs (of under JPY15k), so it pays to shop around.
Old May 3, 2016, 2:41 am

I agree that the breakfast at the WMK is probably not the best I've had in Japan.. The Suiran was awesome overall and their breakfast, while not a buffet, was easily one of the best I've had in Japan. Very attentive service and everything except the main was bottomless. The other breakfast I enjoyed a lot in Japan is the buffet at Andaz Tokyo.

I remembered the breakfast at Westin Osaka was pretty meh though. I paid a surcharge (I think somewhere in the ball park of Ą600) to 'upgrade' my Platnium breakfast from the lounge to the buffet at the lobby restaurant. The food was ok but most of the hot stuff were either cold or emptied without refill to a point that they waived the surcharge.
Old May 9, 2016, 9:23 am

Programs: DL DM, AA Gold, Bonvoy Titanium, Hyatt Glob, IHG Plat, Hilton Diamond, Amex Plat
For what its worth, the hotels I stayed in throughout Japan were: PH Tokyo, HR Tokyo, Sheraton Hiroshima. Of those--the Westin's spread was far more expansive.
Old Jun 29, 2016, 8:27 am

Programs: AA EXP, HH Gold, Hyatt Globalist, IC Plat, SPG Gold
Any idea on what the cost of breakfast cost in the restaurant is? I am planning to book a room and the difference between breakfast rate and standard rate is $30. I am trying to decide which rate to book.
Old Jun 30, 2016, 5:03 am

Programs: JL GC | Marriott LT Silver | Global Entry | SQ Silver
Originally Posted by aglp2k
Any idea on what the cost of breakfast cost in the restaurant is? I am planning to book a room and the difference between breakfast rate and standard rate is $30. I am trying to decide which rate to book.
The Wiki that I posted shows the SPG Instant Rewards redemption for Buffet Breakfast for 1500 points which is a $20 value. I'm not sure if they are selling breakfast at $20 though.
Old Jun 30, 2016, 7:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

a couple years ago, the breakfast menu price was 3500 yen(is that $35?)

seemed in in line with the daniele at 60 or so euro.

we ate down the street for about 1000 yen
Old Jun 30, 2016, 11:44 am

Programs: AA EXP, HH Gold, Hyatt Globalist, IC Plat, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by slawecki
a couple years ago, the breakfast menu price was 3500 yen(is that $35?)

seemed in in line with the daniele at 60 or so euro.

we ate down the street for about 1000 yen
Thank you
Old Aug 8, 2016, 3:57 pm

Plat stay in June

After staying 3 nights at the Suiran, we transferred here for 5 nights so that we could sightsee Kyoto (we used Suiran to relax and see Arashiyama). By this point I had been in Japan for 2.5 weeks and had been surrounded by 99% Japanese people. Coming to the Westin I experienced reverse culture shock. Many westerners. It is a conference venue - it is huge, and there were ongoing conferences while we were there. So lots of Westerners. It was very different from anything I had experienced so far on the trip. Not bad, but definitely not a continuation of the cultural immersion so to speak.

The hotel itself is clean. I couldn't decide if it felt outdated or if I just didn't love the 'older' design choices. Our room just felt like it needed a renovation (not dirty or overly worn just felt stuck in the past). I assume we did not get a renovated room.

Breakfast could be in a few venues - we chose the buffet w/ western options. The lounge had minimal choices. the lounge also had afternoon snacks and drinks.

It is not a bad hotel but was my least favorite of this trip.
Old Aug 22, 2016, 1:42 pm

Programs: OWE AA EXP;*A TK Gold; Marriott LTT; Hyatt Globalist; IHG Plat; National VIP
SNA or not

Staying at that hotel mid November on points for two nights. Should we apply SNAs to the stay or is it pretty safe to assume they will upgrade as Platinum 100 to a junior suite? Is that a busy time for the property?

Thanks
Old Aug 22, 2016, 7:49 pm

Programs: JL GC | Marriott LT Silver | Global Entry | SQ Silver
Originally Posted by asnovici
Staying at that hotel mid November on points for two nights. Should we apply SNAs to the stay or is it pretty safe to assume they will upgrade as Platinum 100 to a junior suite? Is that a busy time for the property?

Thanks
Well if you need the Junior Suite, just SNA it if you have any to spare. I find the Deluxe rooms are good enough.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.