Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Westin Tokyo, Japan 2007 onward [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Sep 21, 2014, 11:32 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: margarita girl
Hotel email: [email protected]
Print Wikipost

Westin Tokyo, Japan 2007 onward [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Nov 9, 2008, 10:51 am

Programs: UA GS 2MM, SPG Plat
Just got back - and had a very nice stay.

Hotel room was larger than normal for a Tokyo hotel. Minor platinum upgrade to a upper floor room - and access to executive lounge.

Breakfast was included either in the lounge or the first floor terrace restaurant - I actually preferred the first floor as they had fresh O.J. and a greater variety. Food was very good either place.

Service simply perfect - could not have asked for more.

And, thank you traveling counsultant, cab was 10-15 minutes and between 1400 and 1600 yen every trip!!!
Old Jan 18, 2009, 4:54 pm

Programs: United 1K 2MM / Marriott LTP
So I just completed a 3 night stay at the Westin Tokyo (1 night award + 2 nights Mastercard Promo redemption) and as usual the Westin is still a great option for SPG members. I notice probably on the SPG thread there are three things that people gripe about....lounge, upgrades, internet. In my opinion the Westin offers all these things to platinum members.

Arrived at the Westin around 6pm and went to the executive lounge on the 17th floor where Platinum members are welcome to check-in. I was assigned 2116, which is located on one of the executive floors. I inquired about a suite, but none were available. The hotel was showing as sold out over the weekend so no big deal.

The rooms are nicely maintained and in good condition. The bathrooms feature both a tub and shower so you have a choice. As I mentioned there is a lounge on the 17th floor that offers breakfast and evening appetizers and beverages. The lounge is open until 10pm. There is free interent in the lounge via WiFi or wired connections. As a guest on the excutive floor, you get 50% off the published rate (1800 JPY) if you decide to sign up for intnernet in your room. As I mentioned breakfast is available in the lounge but you can also choose to have the buffet breakfast at the restaurant, Terraces on 1/F. The selection is rather vast and the pastries are excellent! The buffet hasn't changed much over the years, but is still a nice benefit for platinum members. For those wondering the buffet breakfast runs at 3600 JPY. If you are staying at the hotel on the weekend, be forewarned that there can be a wait if you want to dine for breakfast at the Terraces. As a party of 4, we had to wait 20 minutes for a table Sunday morning.

Overall this is a really nice property at Tokyo that's located about a 10 minute walk from the JR Ebisu station. The walk isn't so bad as there are quite a bit of moving walkways.

Added note..At least during my stay there were a high number of platinums at the hotel. We were mistakenly given a bill for the breakfast buffet one morning so we went to the cashier who had to look us up on a list and on the first page alone which probably had about 35 names, I'd probably say 80% were Platinum. The list was about 3 pages.
Old Jan 18, 2009, 5:34 pm

Programs: UA MM/1K, SPG Lifetime Plat, Marriott Plat, Hyatt Diamond, HH Gold, Natl Exec Elite
A really good big hotel

The Westin Tokyo is proof that a really large business/function hotel can deliver first class service and a good guest experience. As both of the preceding posts note, suite upgrades are relatively rare here because there aren't many true suites in the property and there are a lot of groups looking for them. But the executive rooms are perfectly adequate (and you can ask to have one that's Toto-equipped ).

The lounge is simply the best I've seen at any Westin: excellent hot breakfast, real canapes and snacks in the afternoon and into the evening, and a fine inventory of beverages. Kluau88 noted the free internet in the lounge, and that in-room internet is half off for Plats; at 900 yen (about $9-10) that's a bargain for a big time hotel.

Another point worth noting is that this is a big league wedding hotel, and you can see some amazing wedding parties on Saturday if you care to watch the parade. Both traditional Japanese and remarkable Western style groups take turns using the main staircase for photos, quite entertaining as long as it's not your bill!

Finally, I think it's worth noting that the new GM for the past year or so, Herr Trautmannsdorf, has done an excellent job of convincing the Japanese staff to loosen up just a little - so you'll rarely find a Japanese hotel with a more outgoing or welcoming (but not obsequious) staff. This hotel is a very good intersection of western function and eastern attitude, one train stop from Shibuya. Outstanding! If we get the 50% off promo again this year, I may well use it for a week at this hotel.
Old Jan 18, 2009, 6:00 pm

Programs: United 1K 2MM / Marriott LTP
Originally Posted by SportsTech
The Westin Tokyo is proof that a really large business/function hotel can deliver first class service and a good guest experience. As both of the preceding posts note, suite upgrades are relatively rare here because there aren't many true suites in the property and there are a lot of groups looking for them. But the executive rooms are perfectly adequate (and you can ask to have one that's Toto-equipped ).

The lounge is simply the best I've seen at any Westin: excellent hot breakfast, real canapes and snacks in the afternoon and into the evening, and a fine inventory of beverages. Kluau88 noted the free internet in the lounge, and that in-room internet is half off for Plats; at 900 yen (about $9-10) that's a bargain for a big time hotel.

Another point worth noting is that this is a big league wedding hotel, and you can see some amazing wedding parties on Saturday if you care to watch the parade. Both traditional Japanese and remarkable Western style groups take turns using the main staircase for photos, quite entertaining as long as it's not your bill!

Finally, I think it's worth noting that the new GM for the past year or so, Herr Trautmannsdorf, has done an excellent job of convincing the Japanese staff to loosen up just a little - so you'll rarely find a Japanese hotel with a more outgoing or welcoming (but not obsequious) staff. This hotel is a very good intersection of western function and eastern attitude, one train stop from Shibuya. Outstanding! If we get the 50% off promo again this year, I may well use it for a week at this hotel.

Couldn't have summed it up any better. Ironically as I was leaving today there was a Wedding Fair going on in the meeting space downstairs! I have my favorite hotels around the SPG family and this is surely one of them

Did I mention I <HEART> the Westin Tokyo.
Old Mar 10, 2009, 10:37 pm

We have some reservations booked as cash and points in March, and I am doubting whether this is the best choice for us in Tokyo, or should we try Grand Hyatt on Points. Given that we have Plat SPG and Diamond Hyatt status, both hotels seem to provide free breakfast and canapes. But from the guidebook pictures I think Westin's decor is a little more pretentious and location less desirable in general, am I wrong?
Old Mar 10, 2009, 10:43 pm

Programs: AA:PLT&3MM, HGP:DIA, SPG:GOLD
Originally Posted by LilZeppelin
We have some reservations booked as cash and points in March, and I am doubting whether this is the best choice for us in Tokyo, or should we try Grand Hyatt on Points. Given that we have Plat SPG and Diamond Hyatt status, both hotels seem to provide free breakfast and canapes. But from the guidebook pictures I think Westin's decor is a little more pretentious and location less desirable in general, am I wrong?
Having stayed at both properties, my suggestion is to stay at Grand Hyatt. Better location.
Old Mar 10, 2009, 10:49 pm

Originally Posted by LilZeppelin
I think you need to be more specific about what you care most...areas to visit, things to do, neighborhood restaurants, elite benefits, spa facillity, etc. etc. I stayed at both properties a lot. I like Grand Hyatt better because of the location and the decor.
Old Mar 11, 2009, 1:31 am

Programs: SPG Lifetime PP ; Hyatt Globalist ; Nexus
Ditto. I would choose GH over Westin. Starwood needs some new property in Tokyo. I was a huge disappointment for losing St Regis would be to Conrad.
Old Mar 11, 2009, 7:34 am

Programs: AA EXP, BA Gold, UA LT-Gold, SPG Plat, HH Dia, Hyatt Dia, MR Gold
For those staying at Westin Tokyo on cash & points at the old rate, please check your bill, as they seem to automatically bill you at the higher cash rate, eventhough your reservation was made prior to March 1st.
Old Mar 12, 2009, 6:35 am
Hyatt Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott Titanium/LTG, IHG Platinum
I made a C&P booking for this Westin (when it was still a Cat5) for May, but I was looking through the reservation and under Taxes it states this:-

Acc. Tax of USD 200.00 Per Person / Per Night is not included in the rate.
Service Charge of 10.00% Per Room / Per Night is not included in the rate.
Sales Tax of 5.50% Per Room / Per Night is not included in the rate.

I'm confused

I know its 4800 + $90usd+++ but wanting $200 per person per night? what's going on?
Old Mar 12, 2009, 10:44 am

You owe taxes on the cash portion, but those are the regular taxes, including JPY 200 per person per night. So it is a typo.
Old Mar 16, 2009, 2:49 am
Company Representative - Starwood

Programs: SPG
Originally Posted by alanslegal
I made a C&P booking for this Westin (when it was still a Cat5) for May, but I was looking through the reservation and under Taxes it states this:-

Acc. Tax of USD 200.00 Per Person / Per Night is not included in the rate.
Service Charge of 10.00% Per Room / Per Night is not included in the rate.
Sales Tax of 5.50% Per Room / Per Night is not included in the rate.

I'm confused

I know its 4800 + $90usd+++ but wanting $200 per person per night? what's going on?
Hi alanslegal,

I believe this should be rectified. If not, drop me a message again.

[email protected]

Thyetus Lee | Online Forum Coordinator(AP)
Starwood Customer Contact Centre (AP) Pte Ltd
Old Apr 9, 2009, 2:30 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, M&M Senator
We have a cash and points reservation in July. We are not plat. I assume it is worth it to try to upgrade to an executive club room in order to get the lounge/breakfast benefits. Any comments/suggestions? I know we can ask five days in advance. Do we call SPG or call/email the hotel directly?
Old Apr 9, 2009, 9:46 am
Company Representative - Starwood

Programs: Marriott Employee Level
Originally Posted by eefor jfp
...Any comments/suggestions? I know we can ask five days in advance. Do we call SPG or call/email the hotel directly?
That won't work as far as Cash & Points is concerned. But, I would ask about the possibilities at check-in.

Best regards,

William R. Sanders
Online Guest Feedback Coordinator
Starwood Hotels & Resorts Worldwide

[email protected]
Old May 11, 2009, 8:25 am

Programs: M&M FQT, BA G, Bonvoy LTT, WoH GLOB
Currently at the hotel, and can confirm the previous information given. The hotel is not very central, but in a green and quiet area.

No suite upgrade (even though hotel seems quiet and availability on spg), and had to request twice the Plat amenity. Not good: There is a USD 20 charge to use the Jacuzzi/Sauna area in the Spa, only the fitness is free.

Rooms are good size and decent/recent. Overall a good hotel, but I am not blown away.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.