Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

St. Regis - Washington D.C. post renovation 2008 on [Master Thread]

St. Regis - Washington D.C. post renovation 2008 on [Master Thread]

Old May 6, 2008, 8:01 am
Original Member
Original Poster

Arrow St. Regis - Washington D.C. post renovation 2008 on [Master Thread]

I couldnt find much info on this property after the renovations. I have a resie for memorial day weekend and am wondering how this property compares to the Ritz or Four Seasons.

Last edited by SanDiego1K; Apr 24, 2009 at 3:09 pm Reason: Broke thread here in order to begin with post renovation reports
Old Jun 9, 2008, 1:33 am

Programs: UA 1K, SPG PLT
On an impulse I did a C&P here about a month ago and found the rooms to be quite lovely however, just as I had suspected, a bit too "ritzy", for lack of a better term, for my tastes.

I got a Metropolitan suite with an amazing sized bathroom. (with a TV behind the mirror!!! that was cooool!) Awesome toiletries! However the bedroom part was quite small. More of a junior suite, if anything.

Room service was awesome. There was a $250(!) BREAKFAST for two. Maybe one day...

And if your stay involves a weekend then I must say there is not much open in that area. Metro was fairly close but all-in all I preferred the area around the Westin Grand more, sans the suite upgrade.

Edit: I did find this thoughtful-

Originally Posted by Ztras
Looking at staying here this summer. Any thoughts? (haven't found much since its has been re-opened)

Thanks.

Last edited by dagr8one; Jun 9, 2008 at 1:57 am Reason: added a pic
Old Aug 19, 2008, 8:51 am
PHL
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT, DL SLV, UA SLV, MR LTT, HH DIA
I got an unbelievable AAA rate next week at about $250/night. I have to believe it's because half of the political world will be in Denver for the DNC and DC will be almost like a ghost town.

But all it would confirm was either 2 doubles or a King accessible, so I chose the 2 doubles since I don't need accessible and hotels usually don't pre-upgrade someone from an accessible to a non-accessible room.

So I entered into the comments for a King and will ask again on checkin.

Any other recent reviews, in general?
Old Aug 19, 2008, 9:04 am
Original Member

Programs: AA (Life Plat), Marriott (Life Titanium) and every other US program
Stayed a night about three weeks ago.

Had a service problem. A box had been delivered for me by FedEx. When I arrived at midnight the hotel said they had no record. I spent an hour on the phone with my staff in LA who found the FedEx delivery proof (it had been delivered at 1pm), and the hotel then found it. No call back from the manager. But I did finally hear from someone who apologized and offered compensation.

No significant upgrade. Very nice lobby and furnishings. Very nice staff.
Old Oct 2, 2008, 1:09 pm

Programs: EI AerClub Concierge, EK Gold, BA Gold, BD Gold (Retired), HHonors Diamond, Bonvoy Lifetime Gold
Any recent experiences? In particular, plat treatment and family friendlyness.

We will be passing through DC at the start of November for a couple of nights with 18 month old in tow and hoping to catch up with some old friends. Would this make a good base?

-- Dambus
Old Feb 4, 2009, 10:10 am

Programs: Marriott LTG, HHonors Diamond, Nat'l Exec
Would be interested to know if plats are getting upgraded here of late. Am thinking of doing a 3 night award later this month (on a weekend), but for 60k points I'd want to make sure the experience was fairly close to perfect.
Old Jun 24, 2009, 1:01 pm

Talking

Originally Posted by RTWSTARALLIANCE
Would also appreciate comments. Will be there the 4th of July weekend also. Thanks.
We seem to be following you at these Starwood Hotels, Michael. Joan and I will be at this property on August 21 and 22, and are planning to have dinner at Adour in the Hotel. Here is a review.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/gog/re....,1153499.html
Old Jun 24, 2009, 3:39 pm

Programs: US CP, Hilton Diamond, SPG Platinum, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by Life_Platinum
We seem to be following you at these Starwood Hotels, Michael. Joan and I will be at this property on August 21 and 22, and are planning to have dinner at Adour in the Hotel. Here is a review.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/gog/re....,1153499.html
http://www.donrockwell.com/index.php?showtopic=9499
Link to a site that generally has useful feedback for restaurants in the DC area.

I stay in DC almost every week but having made it to either the St Regis or the Fairfax as both are pretty expensive during the week and I'm not in DC all that often during the weekend when they are more reasonable.

As far as location goes, there is more to do around the Fairfax, especially on the weekend, as it is near Dupont Circle. The St Regis is closer to a primarily business part of town, though it is close to the White House. However, the St Regis is close to two stations (McPherson Square and Faragut West) on the Orange and Blue lines, which go to the Mall in case you are going to be spending time there. It is equally close to a stop on the Red Line (Faragut North), in case you are interested in going to the Zoo, Cleveland Park, etc. From the Fairfax to get to the Mall you'd need to transfer Metro lines (or take a taxi of course) which isn't a huge deal but can take a little while on weekends/holidays. Don't know what the specific plans for the Metro schedule is for the July 4th weekend though.
Old Jun 24, 2009, 3:45 pm

Programs: UA GS/4 MM, AA Exec Plat, Lifetime Hilton D, Hyatt G, Marriott Titanium earned Ambassador
How about from IAD? Usually if going into DC fly in DCA and then cab in. Last time remember renting a car but parking was crazy. There will be two of us. Can still the best option? Know of no metro link from IAD to DC. Thanks.
Old Jun 24, 2009, 8:42 pm

Programs: UA GS, Marriott LT Titanium
Parking wasnt an issue

Stayed at the St. Regis this past weekend (Fri & Sat night) -- was able to find free street parking both nights (the $40/day valet parking charge was so crazy even the valet recommended that I just find a spot on the street instead).

The Metro was very convenient as was driving around -- it was only 5 min drive to Dupont Circle area from the St Regis.

As a Platinum, was upgraded to a Premier Deluxe room on the top floor -- no view but the room was very nice. Free Fiji bottled water was a nice touch.
Old Jun 24, 2009, 11:28 pm

Programs: US CP, Hilton Diamond, SPG Platinum, Marriott Platinum
How about from IAD? Usually if going into DC fly in DCA and then cab in. Last time remember renting a car but parking was crazy. There will be two of us. Can still the best option? Know of no metro link from IAD to DC. Thanks.
There is no Metro to IAD (though there are plans to build one... sometime). You can take the 5A bus to downtown (L'enfant I believe) or a couple buses to West Falls Church I believe. Cabs are always an option, but much more expensive than from DCA as IAD is much further away.

Parking for a car is expensive if using a lot or the hotel, or a pain to find typically if trying to park on the road. Cars in general are more of a liability in DC than they are helpful. For example to get to Dupont as someone mentioned is an easy 5-10 minute walk to the Faragut North Metro station and then 2-3 stops on the Red Line, or a $8-$10 (at most) cab ride...
Old Jun 25, 2009, 7:04 am

Programs: UA GS/4 MM, AA Exec Plat, Lifetime Hilton D, Hyatt G, Marriott Titanium earned Ambassador
Can someone ballpark the cost of a cab? I will be with a buddy so we will split it. Thanks.
Old Jun 25, 2009, 10:12 am
Company Representative - Starwood

Programs: Marriott Employee Level
Can someone ballpark the cost of a cab? I will be with a buddy so we will split it. Thanks.
Approximately $60 plus tip.

Best regards,

William R. Sanders
Online Guest Feedback Coordinator
Starwood Hotels & Resorts Worldwide

[email protected]
Old Jun 28, 2009, 12:17 am
Suspended

Programs: AC E50K (*G) WS Gold | SPG/Fairmont Plat Hilton/Hyatt Diamond Marriott Silver | National Exec Elite
My first post, so here goes...

My girlfriend and I had a fantastic stay at the St Regis Washington. After a very poor stay at the Westin NYC, I had called SPG corporate and explained my situation at the NYC property. I had just casually mentioned that I had a stay at the Washington St Regis and to kindly make sure that my Anniversary would go better there. When I got there, I was amazed - I was upgraded from a standard room to the St Regis Suite. The stay was absolutely fantastic, and one of the most memorable moments of my life. Everything was flawless, from the Butler, to the Adour St Regis.

Unfortunately, I had found one of my rims curbed on my Audi. While I was unable to verify if it was caused at the St Regis, I mentioned it to the hotel, and even they were unable to verify events. (I was pretty sure as to the time and date of the occurence...as I remembered a time when I peered through the hotel lobby window to see what happened). Without a hassle, the Director of Security (interesting title), gave me a $150USD refund (the quote from the dealer to repair the rims).

As far as service goes, everybody went above and beyond. My butler, Sherif (I think), was hardly used - I feel bad and out of place for "using" anybody, so all he did was get us ice. But the experience - was one of a lifetime. So I praise this hotel to the n'th degree. I had a great time! The food was not quite as good as the Adour rest. in NY, but the hotel was a great treat. I don't think I've ever been so spoiled in my life!! And I know, for the first time in a long time, my better half enjoyed a hotel stay on a Starwood property!
Old Jul 4, 2009, 1:39 pm

St. Regis Washington DC report July 2009

Preface: In town for the 4th weekend and see a couple friends/clients.

Rate: Two nights based upon the current promotion.

Transportation: A buddy and me took a bump at SFO and ended going via LAX to IAD. My friends picked us up at IAD and took us to Sweetwater Grill near the airport. They then brought us into DC.

Parking: They have valet parking and ask 5 to 10 minutes to retrieve car.

Check-in: This was a pretty smooth process. For whatever reason the agent would only cut my key for one night. This morning I was able to go down and get it cut for this evening also. Kinda a little concerned. I was given a upgrade to a Metropolitan "Suite". I am quoting it that way since we had a Met. Suite in SF and it was totally different. This is just one large room with no door or walls for that matter to provide any privacy to the bed room area. Other hotels would only call it a junior suite.

Perks: As noted above. I did receive a small bag of red, white and blue jelly belly candy as a P.

Lounge: Not here.

Room: As stated the suite is a room. A large room but a room. You enter onto carpet. The right wall which is the otherside of the hallway has a set of cabinets. You have a closet, entertainment center with flat panel LG and dvd player. Below is a frig. The other cabinet is for clothes and drawers. Coming around the wall you have a king bed. I have a full wall of windows with curtains thank goodness which keep me for seeing the interior view. Then come a desk. In the middle you have a nice sofa, ottoman and two comfy chairs. Comfortable.

Bathroom: The bathroom is a very nice size. You have stone floors and beautiful tile work. You have a tub, seperate shower (huge), toilet room and two basin sink. The mirror has a unique feature with a tv on the other side. A feature I have only seen in custom homes built by friends in WA. The amenities are Remede and you have two full sets.

Internet: Internet in the room is wired and $12.95 per day. Believe under 24 hour period. People were using wireless in the lobby so that must be comp. per someone we met in the elevator.

Gym: not been

Spa: not been

Eating venues: We had drinks with our friends yesterday evening on the lobby bar. Nice but they had a very limited liquor selection. Maybe high end stuff but not what people wanted at least in our group. They could not make three of six drinks requested. Drinks were a little less than $100. Service was marginal.

Local markets: Lots of things around.

Local area: Perfect location. The new W is also in a great location.

Negatives: Last night at drinks we noted the staff was not that highly polished. It was a odd mix. This morning I encountered a couple professionals. I don't know if it is just DC or the lack of training. Our confirms say butler but I have not heard a word from anyone. Another strange fact going on.

Closing: I am mixed on this place. I had some concerns before coming here and got attitude from staff. As noted also felt the staff was mixed. I stayed here before and thought it was exceptional. This time I am disappointed. With regret I can not say that I would stay again.

We had breakfast at Cosi down the block. Coffee is served downstairs comp until 10 AM. This afternoon they had cookies. All nice touches. This evening we will dine out before catching the fireworks. Regards from DC

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.