Community
Wiki Posts
Search

"Escape to Luxury" Promo

Search this Thread

Old Dec 13, 2023, 11:34 am
Original Poster

Programs: Bonvoy Lifetime Plat (earned as Starwood), Canadian Amex Plat & resulting statuses, WestJet Silver
"Escape to Luxury" Promo

$300 folio credit promo on minimum two-night stays over the next four weekends, BUT... only at select properties (of which there are all of two in Canada – both in Toronto), it's pre-paid, non-cancellable, non-changeable, and non-refundable. Very luxurious.
yscleo likes this.
Old Dec 13, 2023, 1:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, AC MM E75, Marriott LT Ti, IHG Dia Amb, Hyatt Glob
You actually read those emails?

LOL. They go straight into the trash for me.
tjk1976, Jiatong, Will08 and 2 others like this.
Old Dec 13, 2023, 2:16 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Bonvoy Lifetime Plat (earned as Starwood), Canadian Amex Plat & resulting statuses, WestJet Silver
Originally Posted by margarita girl
You actually read those emails?

LOL. They go straight into the trash for me.
I'm the same, but I was curious how they defined "luxury" on this one so I clicked. The restrictions are so onerous, I can't see a $300 folio credit being compelling to many. I haven't looked at the rates, but it'd be interesting to see how they compare to what's available outside of this offer. I suspect the price difference adds up to, I don't know, around $300?
margarita girl likes this.
Old Dec 13, 2023, 4:54 pm

Programs: Marriott Titanium -> United Silver
Looks like it's up to $300, since St. Regis Houston is giving $150 on the dates I saw.
tjk1976 likes this.
Old Dec 13, 2023, 5:09 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by DallasEsq
Looks like it's up to $300, since St. Regis Houston is giving $150 on the dates I saw.
Even better. lol
Old Dec 13, 2023, 8:04 pm

Programs: Bonvoy ambassador - lifetime plat / Hilton diamond / hyatt globalist / AA CK baby!
Originally Posted by tjk1976
I'm the same, but I was curious how they defined "luxury" on this one so I clicked. The restrictions are so onerous, I can't see a $300 folio credit being compelling to many. I haven't looked at the rates, but it'd be interesting to see how they compare to what's available outside of this offer. I suspect the price difference adds up to, I don't know, around $300?
not being customer friendly doesnt mean it isnt luxurious. sure if the available properties are so limited it's not likely that someone i your situation will make a move on it, but someone close by or already booked at one of the properties? it's a nice little treat and i can see someone splurging at the spa because of it. this is just a little thing to generate some interaction, it's not one of the quarterly promos.
Old Dec 13, 2023, 9:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: *G
Funnily enough, I AM staying at a Ritz for Christmas... but apparently the Ritz NOLA isn't one of the 52 North American Ritz's that qualify
tjk1976 likes this.
Old Dec 13, 2023, 9:06 pm

Programs: AA EXP, DL PM, Hyatt Glob, Marriott Ambassador/LTP, Nat'l Exec Elite, LEYE Gold
Originally Posted by stant
not being customer friendly doesnt mean it isnt luxurious. sure if the available properties are so limited it's not likely that someone i your situation will make a move on it, but someone close by or already booked at one of the properties? it's a nice little treat and i can see someone splurging at the spa because of it. this is just a little thing to generate some interaction, it's not one of the quarterly promos.
Yes, but historically these "promos" have been borderline scams because the rate is generally more than $300 higher in order to get the $300 credit. It preys on people who (1) don't realize that the promotional rate is inflated to cover the promotional offering or (2) know that the rate is inflated but pass along the scam to an employer or client by billing a higher than necessary hotel rate in order to get the promotional offering.

I wish promos that cost more than the value of the inclusions would go away. Every now and then there is something that actually adds value, but it is rare.
Old Dec 14, 2023, 8:55 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by stant
not being customer friendly doesnt mean it isnt luxurious...
I respectfully disagree. More restrictions = a less luxurious experience. Doesn't matter if you're talking about hotels, airlines, or anything else. Sure, the properties included in the promo are themselves luxurious, my point was that they're marketing them in a way that doesn't result an experience that most people who would stay at those kinds of properties would expect.
Old Dec 14, 2023, 1:49 pm

Programs: Bonvoy ambassador - lifetime plat / Hilton diamond / hyatt globalist / AA CK baby!
Originally Posted by tjk1976
I respectfully disagree. More restrictions = a less luxurious experience. Doesn't matter if you're talking about hotels, airlines, or anything else. Sure, the properties included in the promo are themselves luxurious, my point was that they're marketing them in a way that doesn't result an experience that most people who would stay at those kinds of properties would expect.
​​​​​

dont forget luxury can be an illusion. the people who DO book those specials probably didnt shop around. so after their trip to the spa they are happy with themselves for a nice relaxing getaway AND saving 300 clams. even if the latter isnt strictly true.
tjk1976 likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.