Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Bangkok: Which SPG hotel should I choose? [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Sep 20, 2014, 3:26 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: hhoope01
For a discussion around all the Marriott Bonvoy hotels visit the Marriott Bonvoy hotels in Bangkok, Thailand thread.

From LIH Prem's signature.

SPG and Marriott BKK property map
Print Wikipost

Bangkok: Which SPG hotel should I choose? [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Aug 20, 2017, 9:24 am

Programs: UA 2MM * Marriott Ambassador LT Titanium * IHG Diamond Ambassador * Hilton Diamond *
Originally Posted by ftrichard
Here's my dilemma:

I invariably spend my Bangkok weekend breaks at Le Meridien but they've priced themselves out of my next stay in October (I guess there's an event on as all the regular rooms are booked out and only executive rates are available that include the benefits I get anyway as a Platinum + if there's an event on then Creative Hour won't be in the Bamboo Chic and we'll be shunted downstairs and one of the reasons I love Le Meridien is Creative hour in Bamboo Chic).

Last time this happened I stayed at the W because of the location in Silom but I can't stand this hotel and its absence of treatment for Platinums so not there.

I'm left with: Sheraton Grande, Plaza Athenee, Westin or Royal Orchid. I've only stayed at the Royal Orchid before out of these and don't mind it for the price but fancy some good treatment. Things I value: (1) happy hour cocktails (real cocktails not bottles of spirits + mixers), (2) suite upgrades, (3) breakfast *and* 500 points (4) sparkling wine at breakfast. LeM delivers on all these. Where else will I have a great experience as a Platinum given these priorities.

Horrific afterthought: I don't need the qualifying nights this year so should I try a Marriott hotel being Platinum there as well because of status matching?
I responded on the Le Meridien Bangkok thread before seeing that you also posted the issue, here.

I also think that the LMBKK value is quite a bit less than the PA or the SGS, so I am expecting lower rates than at those 2 properties.

I booked the first part of my next Bangkok stay at the WBKK, where I am always upgraded to a Marvelous suite. The hotel has good breakfasts. No evening snacks but the area has now many good dining options. The hotel could be a little more generous with its drink coupons to attract more Platinum guests on a regular basis.

There is also the Westin with its lounge where you can drink and eat snacks during the day and have dinner on the evening. It has often good deals, especially if you stay 3 nights.

I have been back at the ROSH, too. Great prices nowadays and the experience was not so bad.

I hear quite a bit about the Renaissance and will try it in the near future.

The Marriott Marquis Queen's Park is another good option and the Marriott The Surawongse might put a price pressure on the LMBKK, starting in January.
Old Aug 20, 2017, 10:23 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
I remember the following from my stay at the PA about a year and a half ago:

1) Breakfast was the big buffet downstairs as there was no breakfast in the lounge. I think I still got the 500 points. I think there was sparkling wine but it wouldn't have been real champagne.

2) Lots of one bedroom suites, essentially in every corner of all but a couple of the highest floors. There's also a separate alcove off the living room with a good desk for work.

3) Decent happy hour food spread in a separate room across from the main lounge. Real bar and bartender in the lounge, with service at your seat.

I liked the place very much.

Since it's L(R)M, you get a coupon for a good free coffee downstairs.
Old Aug 20, 2017, 12:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT PLT; QR GLD; Bonvoy LT TIT
Things I value: (1) happy hour cocktails (real cocktails not bottles of spirits + mixers), (2) suite upgrades, (3) breakfast *and* 500 points (4) sparkling wine at breakfast.
Originally Posted by yosithezet
Having stayed at the LeM and all the others you mention, I strongly suggest that you try the SGS for a weekend and the next time try the PA. I believe that one of these will become a new favorite.
What yosithezet said. I'm a regular at SGS, a somewhat regular at LM, and stayed at the PA once, nearly a decade ago. SGS will hit 4/4 on the above list for PLT guests. Can't speak to the current situation at PA.
Old Aug 20, 2017, 12:59 pm

Programs: AC SE100K, Marriott Titanium & LTP, NEXUS
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
I remember the following from my stay at the PA about a year and a half ago:

1) Breakfast was the big buffet downstairs as there was no breakfast in the lounge. I think I still got the 500 points. I think there was sparkling wine but it wouldn't have been real champagne.

2) Lots of one bedroom suites, essentially in every corner of all but a couple of the highest floors. There's also a separate alcove off the living room with a good desk for work.

3) Decent happy hour food spread in a separate room across from the main lounge. Real bar and bartender in the lounge, with service at your seat.

I liked the place very much.

Since it's L(R)M, you get a coupon for a good free coffee downstairs.
I stayed at the PA in April, and there was a breakfast in the lounge in addition to breakfast in the lobby. The lobby one was much more extensive, but even the lounge had a chef making made to order eggs.

Highly recommend this hotel, the lounge is fantastic.
Old Aug 20, 2017, 6:32 pm

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy Titanium, BAEC Silver, TK Miles & Smiles Elite
Right. That's done. Thanks for all the advice. Ended up as a toss up between the SGS and the PA. For no other reason than it's slightly closer to Silom I chose the PA. Next time this happens I'll try the SGS. But if they keep doing this to the rate then I'm afraid the Red Planet Surawong will end up getting my business.
Old Aug 20, 2017, 7:01 pm

Programs: Delta Platinum & 2MM, Marriott Lifetime TIT, Hertz Pres Club, IHG Gold, *A Gold
What would be the best Starwood choice in Bangkok for a couple with the following ranking of importance:

1 Lounge. Must serve Singha and enough food options to create a dinner (wife's insistence)
2 Number of points required to redeem
3 Location...close to BTS
4 Room cleanliness, size and age

We used to stay exclusively at the Marriott Riverside before it changed brands and are now happy with the Renaissance. Tried Marriott Queen's Park last year and is was great except they don't serve Singha in the lounge. I'm Marriott (and now SPG) Lifetime Platinum. We stayed at the ROS once about 10 years ago, but I had no status at the time and I understand its a hike to Saphan Taksin unless you want to wait up to 30 minutes for the hotel's boat. We had a room on a high floor and absolutely loved watching the thunderstorms pass in the evenings.
Old Aug 20, 2017, 7:23 pm

Programs: SPG(LTG), QANTAS gold, Korean, Accor Plat
Originally Posted by CO-PLAT
What would be the best Starwood choice in Bangkok for a couple with the following ranking of importance:

1 Lounge. Must serve Singha and enough food options to create a dinner (wife's insistence)

We used to stay exclusively at the Marriott Riverside before it changed brands and are now happy with the Renaissance. Tried Marriott Queen's Park last year and is was great except they don't serve Singha in the lounge. I'm Marriott (and now SPG) Lifetime Platinum. We stayed at the ROS once about 10 years ago, but I had no status at the time and I understand its a hike to Saphan Taksin unless you want to wait up to 30 minutes for the hotel's boat. We had a room on a high floor and absolutely loved watching the thunderstorms pass in the evenings.
Dont drink beer so cant comment on that. Westin has the best lounge for quantity of food on offer, sandwiches all day and soup and finger food at night. Its midpoint in regards to points redemption, is adjacent to Asoke BTS and Terminal 21. Room size is same as SGS and PA but rooms feel dull. They tend to be not as generous with suites.
Old Aug 21, 2017, 12:44 am

Chang not good enough for you? I ask this because, for example, Le Meridien only serves Chang. IIRC it's because I was told the property owner also owns Chang (don't know if this is true but the beer's Chang there anyway). The water there is also Chang. You may find this with other SPG properties. Le Meridien woudn't in any case fit your criteria because there's only finger food in the evening. But watch out for your hard #1 Singa criteria. If points are most important then you're probably at the Westin as it's near the BTS (ROS isn't as you know though it would meet your points and food requirement). Singa though. Anyone know if it's Singa or Chang at the Westin?
Old Aug 21, 2017, 2:24 am
Company Representative, Westin Grande Sukhumvit & Sheraton Hua Hin

Programs: Starwood Preferred Guest (SPG)
#1 Singa criteria. If points are most important then you're probably at the Westin as it's near the BTS (ROS isn't as you know though it would meet your points and food requirement). Singa though. Anyone know if it's Singa or Chang at the Westin?
Hello,

happy to help with the following answers for The Westin Grande Sukhumvit:

1) At Westin we have Singha and Chang beer at the Westin Club Lounge available.
2) Number of points for a free night starting with 10,000 SPG points for a standard room.
3) Next to BTS Asok, Exit 5 (Less than 2 minutes walking distance)
4) Room size starting from 40 - 45 m2 for Deluxe Rooms.

Last edited by yosithezet; Aug 21, 2017 at 3:12 am Reason: Fixed markup
Old Aug 21, 2017, 2:56 am

Originally Posted by NicoleAgsten
Hello,

happy to help with the following answers for The Wsetin Grande Sukhumvit:

1) At Westin we have Singha and Chang beer at the Westin Club Lounge available.
2) Number of points for a free night starting with 10,000 SPG points for a standard room.
3) Next to BTS Asok, Exit 5 (Less than 2 minutes walking distance)
4) Room size starting from 40 - 45 m2 for Deluxe Rooms.
Nice. I like it when properties get involved :-). I thought the Westin was 7k points like the ROS. Oh well. You get your Singa beer anyway and the BTS. Just 3k points more a night. But then that opens up other options like the PA and SGS for 10k points.

Last edited by yosithezet; Aug 21, 2017 at 3:12 am Reason: Fixed markup
Old Aug 21, 2017, 5:32 am

Programs: SPG LT Plat ANA Plat
Nice. I like it when properties get involved :-). I thought the Westin was 7k points like the ROS. Oh well. You get your Singa beer anyway and the BTS. Just 3k points more a night. But then that opens up other options like the PA and SGS for 10k points.
I think The Westin ticks all the boxes , lounge food is I think a dealbreaker for the wife and daughter, i still prefer SGS, now sitting in the living room, but we all know who makes the decisions !!
Old Aug 21, 2017, 7:42 am

Programs: UA 2MM * Marriott Ambassador LT Titanium * IHG Diamond Ambassador * Hilton Diamond *
Chang not good enough for you? I ask this because, for example, Le Meridien only serves Chang. IIRC it's because I was told the property owner also owns Chang (don't know if this is true but the beer's Chang there anyway). The water there is also Chang. You may find this with other SPG properties. Le Meridien woudn't in any case fit your criteria because there's only finger food in the evening. But watch out for your hard #1 Singa criteria. If points are most important then you're probably at the Westin as it's near the BTS (ROS isn't as you know though it would meet your points and food requirement). Singa though. Anyone know if it's Singa or Chang at the Westin?
Actually, the LMBKK serves Singha beer, but you have to pay for it during the Creative Hour, while the Chang beer is free during those 2 hours.

Yes it is true: TCC Land, that owns the LMBKK - and many other hotels - and Thai Beverage - that makes the Chang beer - are both controlled by the same person.

Last edited by UASPG; Aug 21, 2017 at 11:36 am
Old Aug 21, 2017, 10:50 am

Programs: SPG LTP, hotels, OWE, STE+, *G, Octopus
FWIW Plaza Athenee, also owned by the same company, serves both Singha and Chang in the lounge.
Old Aug 21, 2017, 1:12 pm

Programs: Delta Platinum & 2MM, Marriott Lifetime TIT, Hertz Pres Club, IHG Gold, *A Gold
Chang not good enough for you?
I wouldn't say its not good enough. We just prefer Singha. Thanks for your opinion. We will consider the Westin.
Old Aug 21, 2017, 5:56 pm

Plaza Athenee
Lounge is great. Room is very comfortable, location is also close to Ploenchit BTS and you can also walk to Siam by foot.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.