Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Bangkok: Which SPG hotel should I choose? [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Sep 20, 2014, 3:26 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: hhoope01
For a discussion around all the Marriott Bonvoy hotels visit the Marriott Bonvoy hotels in Bangkok, Thailand thread.

From LIH Prem's signature.

SPG and Marriott BKK property map
Print Wikipost

Bangkok: Which SPG hotel should I choose? [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Feb 8, 2009, 3:40 am

Programs: UA 1K - 2mm, AA Platinum- 2mm, Starwood Lifetime Platinum (Ambassador)
Just finishing up another nice stay at the SGS. Didn't get upgraded this time, which is unusual. The desk clerk said that they have 10 floors shut down, thus many less suites available. They said that due to slow business they are taking the time to upgrade the "plumbing"

Was looking at rates for next weekend, trying to decide where to stay. The SGS seems like it might be the winner (was comparing to the Grande Hyatt which is considerably more).....
Old Feb 8, 2009, 10:02 am

Programs: TK Elite Plus, FB Platinum, Emirates
Plaza Athenee now seems to have a 30-day AP rate of 3600++.
Old Feb 8, 2009, 2:09 pm

Programs: Bonvoy LT Plat, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, BMI Gold (RIP)
Well after following this thread for some time, we have juggled our travel plans around for April. We were due to be in Bangkok for 3 nights at the end of a 2 week vacation and were planning on spending all 3 nights at the ROS as Mrs RAPC would like to do at least one night by the river.

Just checked rates again today and the SGS is doing 3 for 2 in April still. As a result, we've switched to one night at the ROS, followed by 3 at the SGS. 6000THB per night, so a very nice rate of 4,000 per night with the free night.

After all of the glowing reviews of the SGS on here, we thought it wise to pay the hotel a visit. Even if we don't get a decent upgrade, the platinum benefits should more than make up for it.

Thanks for all of the feedback on this thread. It has been really useful. ^
Old Feb 27, 2009, 12:11 am

Programs: It's Complicated...
Originally Posted by RAPC
Well after following this thread for some time, we have juggled our travel plans around for April. We were due to be in Bangkok for 3 nights at the end of a 2 week vacation and were planning on spending all 3 nights at the ROS as Mrs RAPC would like to do at least one night by the river.

Just checked rates again today and the SGS is doing 3 for 2 in April still. As a result, we've switched to one night at the ROS, followed by 3 at the SGS. 6000THB per night, so a very nice rate of 4,000 per night with the free night.

After all of the glowing reviews of the SGS on here, we thought it wise to pay the hotel a visit. Even if we don't get a decent upgrade, the platinum benefits should more than make up for it.

Thanks for all of the feedback on this thread. It has been really useful. ^
Wish choice and a great deal in my mind. I am at the WGS now on a 3 for 2 deal and kicking myself for not spending the extra 2,000THB (total that is not per night) for the SGS.
Old Feb 27, 2009, 12:23 am
Moderator, El Al and Marriott Bonvoy, FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hyatt Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: SQ*G, Mar LTT, Hyatt Glb, AA LTG, LY, HH, IC, BA, DL, UA SLV
Originally Posted by mcgahat
Wish choice and a great deal in my mind. I am at the WGS now on a 3 for 2 deal and kicking myself for not spending the extra 2,000THB (total that is not per night) for the SGS.
Care to elaborate?
Old Feb 27, 2009, 10:32 pm

Originally Posted by yosithezet
Care to elaborate?
I just feel the WGS is a bit behind in the way they are doing things. For example, this stay I was "upgraded to the executive floor' but that does not mean you get all executive floor benefits. I you purchase an executive floor room you are given internet in the room and the option of doing breakfast downstairs....not so if you are upgrade to the executive floor as a plat. I am sure most will say they list those things separately in the description so they are not a part of the exec floor really but since a lot of other properties (the Conrad for example) give the those same benefits whether you are upgraded or not it leaves a sour taste in my mouth. I also have not had much success on suite upgrades over the last year or so here. The best thing about the WGS is the people and that has not changed over the 6 or so years of staying here but I doubt I will return here much in the future except to have a drink and say hi to some of the great staff.
Old Feb 28, 2009, 2:57 am
Suspended

For example, this stay I was "upgraded to the executive floor' but that does not mean you get all executive floor benefits. I you purchase an executive floor room you are given internet in the room and the option of doing breakfast downstairs....not so if you are upgrade to the executive floor as a plat.
This has been discussed several times before; and despite Starwood Lurker's assurance that SPG properties have been briefed to provide the same benefit whether the room is paid or upgraded, many properties in the region are still carrying-on with this policy.
Old Feb 28, 2009, 5:20 am

Originally Posted by mario33
This has been discussed several times before; and despite Starwood Lurker's assurance that SPG properties have been briefed to provide the same benefit whether the room is paid or upgraded, many properties in the region are still carrying-on with this policy.
Sorry, I did not realize it or at least not remember it anyway. It was one thing when every hotel in BKK gouged their customers with 642THB per day internet rates but things are a bit different now. I actually have a hard time justifying my HHonors/SPG stays in this city anymore with soooooo many good hotels offerings substantially better rates and more benefits just for being a customer and not because I am Plat, Diamond or whatever.
Old Feb 28, 2009, 8:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Sorry, I did not realize it or at least not remember it anyway. It was one thing when every hotel in BKK gouged their customers with 642THB per day internet rates but things are a bit different now. I actually have a hard time justifying my HHonors/SPG stays in this city anymore with soooooo many good hotels offerings substantially better rates and more benefits just for being a customer and not because I am Plat, Diamond or whatever.
I have to agree with you- you really pay a lot of money now in BKK just to get points/night credit in the end- some of the best hotels do offer free internet- depending on where you need to stay in town also- for example, the Shangri-La BKK just started offering a free internet promotion also. One way around this is to book the "wired" package at the Westin Sukhumvit- it includes buffet breakfast and internet access completely- around 5900 THB if that is OK for you.
Old Mar 1, 2009, 2:09 am

Originally Posted by TRAVELSIG
I have to agree with you- you really pay a lot of money now in BKK just to get points/night credit in the end- some of the best hotels do offer free internet- depending on where you need to stay in town also- for example, the Shangri-La BKK just started offering a free internet promotion also. One way around this is to book the "wired" package at the Westin Sukhumvit- it includes buffet breakfast and internet access completely- around 5900 THB if that is OK for you.
To be honest, I will just start saying at the SGS for my paid stays as the rate is not that much different but the benefits are substantially more as a plat. The check in I just received at the SGS was better than anything I ever received at the WGS and I do like the WGS so that is saying a lot I think.

As far as how much the points are worth. When I am seeing many really good hotels on Agoda in the $50-60 range per night it makes for a tough decision in BKK right now as there are some really good properties at really great rates but that is as much as I need to get into that since this is the SPG forum.
Old Mar 1, 2009, 4:31 am

Programs: UA LT 1K HYglob Marr LT Titanium
Another new Promo the ROS has ongoing for guests with at least 10 stays
(yes they keep track) as an ADDITIONAL amenity choice you are given a card upon checkin.(1 choice)

1.daily free in room HSIA
2.6 pieces of free laundry per day
3.daily breakfast buffet for 2

Last edited by lovtofly3; Mar 1, 2009 at 4:38 am
Old Mar 1, 2009, 5:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

To be honest, I will just start saying at the SGS for my paid stays as the rate is not that much different but the benefits are substantially more as a plat. The check in I just received at the SGS was better than anything I ever received at the WGS and I do like the WGS so that is saying a lot I think.
Out of curiosity- what is the special benefit at the SGS?
Old Mar 1, 2009, 6:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT PLT; QR GLD; Bonvoy LT TIT
Slightly OT, I know, but you know that SGS is for sale, right? Asking USD$137,000,000.
Old Mar 1, 2009, 6:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT PLT; QR GLD; Bonvoy LT TIT
When I am seeing many really good hotels on Agoda in the $50-60 range per night it makes for a tough decision in BKK right now as there are some really good properties at really great rates ...
+1. I can't see how this isn't a problem for even a great property like SGS. I've stayed there four times, I think, but the last time I stayed at the Grand Millennium (5 minutes walk from SGS, north on Asoke, and a very nice property) for USD$103 AI, and next month I'm trying the President Solitaire at approximately USD$100 AI for what amounts to a 720 square foot (80 sq. m.) one bedroom apartment.
Old Mar 1, 2009, 7:18 am
Moderator, El Al and Marriott Bonvoy, FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hyatt Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: SQ*G, Mar LTT, Hyatt Glb, AA LTG, LY, HH, IC, BA, DL, UA SLV
Originally Posted by Dr. HFH
+1. I can't see how this isn't a problem for even a great property like SGS. I've stayed there four times, I think, but the last time I stayed at the Grand Millennium (5 minutes walk from SGS, north on Asoke, and a very nice property) for USD$103 AI, and next month I'm trying the President Solitaire at approximately USD$100 AI for what amounts to a 720 square foot (80 sq. m.) one bedroom apartment.
I don't know about SGS, but some corporate rates have WGS for as little as $120 AI including breakfast and internet.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.