Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Westin Canal Place, New Orleans [Master Thread]

Westin Canal Place, New Orleans [Master Thread]

Old Jun 29, 2007, 1:59 am
Ambassador: World of Hyatt
Original Poster

Arrow Westin Canal Place, New Orleans [Master Thread]

Once upon a time there was a wonderful hotel called the Westin Canal Place in New Orleans
It changed brands over the years sadly and we lost a legend of a historic property in a nice mall location.
The property is currently a Wyndham.Did one stay there as a VIP in a luxury suite.
The property sunk to new lows due to Wyndham service.

It looks like it is to return as a Westin once again in 2008!^
I think this is very good news overall. The hotel is taking reservations for next year.
Hopefully the rates won't be absurd

Westin did a great job in the past both before and after Starwood came onboard.
I imagine it may be better then ever before if renovations are done.
Just hope they don't pump those less then Heavenly scents/fumes up guest nostrils.

There are some wonderful large riverview suites for Platinums to look forward too^
Welcome back Westin Canal Place in 2008.:-::-::-::-:
It will be nice to see the Westin flag fly once again in NOLA as it once did years ago.
Old Jun 29, 2007, 7:48 am

Programs: AA, Delta, United, SPG plat, Hyatt dia
Happy to read about this. Thanks 777global mile hound. This property is in a very good location versus the Poydrus CBD.It is a large hotel and has fallen on some bad times after bieng run into the ground by Whyndham abd cendant.
I do hope they can find the staff needed to properly run this property.
Old Jun 29, 2007, 8:50 am
Original Member and FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM/MM, AA ExPlat, Hyatt Glob, HH Dia, National ECE, Hertz PC
The comments on the Wyndham Board about this property are very positive, and I had a very positive experience when I stayed here a few years ago while it was a Wyndham, so I guess it must have been really good when it was a Westin.

That being said, quite frankly I wish it would stay a Wyndham because I do like the property already and I'd be willing to bet that as a Westin the room rates will increase a good bit.
Old Jun 29, 2007, 1:49 pm

Programs: CO Plat(soon Premier Gold) PC lifetime(UC Life?) SPG Plat(Soon Gold)
Thanks for the info - I was wondering about the fate of this Westin.

I stayed there a couple of times - long time ago before Starwood was formed, and the experience was great. Since then I haven't been at French Quater/Canal Street area, but recently I was planning to go back to there, and wanted to stay that Westin. I couldn't find it at SPG, so I guessed it must be re-branded, but didn't know which one.

Glad to hear it is coming back as Westin.
Old Jun 29, 2007, 9:06 pm
Original Poster

This was the property that I had my first New Orleans experience in
I left many memories behind when we lost the Westin brand.
Look forward to this as an option in NOLA again.The French Quarter W went downhill in service and has little to offer in upgrades as it has next to no suites for Plats.The W NOLA was and still is a property of choice.
The new Westin has a bit of class to it and has an interesting history
with attractive large inviting public areas........
Old Jun 29, 2007, 9:30 pm

Programs: You name it 😉
I went down NOLA last weekend for a friends wedding held at St. Louis. The reception was at Canal Place and the entire wedding party had booked rooms there too. I declined, saying I had other commitments and stayed at the Astor, instead of driving back to Baton Rouge. I am so glad to hear about this change it will be nice to have it back.
Old Jun 29, 2007, 9:45 pm

Programs: United GS, Fairmont Platinum,SPG LTPlat, Hilton Diamond, MarriottGold..like the rest of the world
Add me to the choir of folks welcoming this Westin back into the fold. I, too, well remember this hotel at the original Westin Canal Place (remember when the barge careened into the lobby?!?!?!?). I'll be interested to know if room renovations are extensive or limited to just minimal soft goods and Westin Bed/Bath renovations.
Old Jun 30, 2007, 9:40 am

Programs: AA, UA, WN, HH, Marriott
This is great news. I'm not a big fan of the W's and my last stay at the Sheraton was terrible.
Old Jun 30, 2007, 9:41 am
Original Member and FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM/MM, AA ExPlat, Hyatt Glob, HH Dia, National ECE, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by sbtinme
I, too, well remember this hotel at the original Westin Canal Place (remember when the barge careened into the lobby?!?!?!?).
I find that difficult to believe considering that Canal Place is separated from the river by the Audobon Aquarium and an electrical substation. Are you thinking of the cargo ship (not barge) that hit Riverwalk (not Canal Place)?
Old Jun 30, 2007, 10:03 am
Original Poster

Add me to the choir of folks welcoming this Westin back into the fold. I, too, well remember this hotel at the original Westin Canal Place (remember when the barge careened into the lobby?!?!?!?). I'll be interested to know if room renovations are extensive or limited to just minimal soft goods and Westin Bed/Bath renovations.
If I remember correctly the accident took place near the Hilton Riverside and the shopping mall attached to it.However I too may stand to be corrected
I think it was the Riverwalk as another poster states

The new Westin Canal Place property could probably use some upgrades like flat screeen tvs,beds,and such.But the bathrooms and fixtures use to be very nice
I hope they don't put in those low end dual plastic so called Heavenly Showers that discolor and become difficult to operate over time due to the poor quality showers spray adjustment that gets stuck with age.They become very dissapointing compared to other quality shower products that hold up better over time
Old Jun 30, 2007, 10:52 am

Programs: United GS, Fairmont Platinum,SPG LTPlat, Hilton Diamond, MarriottGold..like the rest of the world
Originally Posted by Beckles
I find that difficult to believe considering that Canal Place is separated from the river by the Audobon Aquarium and an electrical substation. Are you thinking of the cargo ship (not barge) that hit Riverwalk (not Canal Place)?
OOPS!!! You're totally correct -- that's what I get for posting while also "participating" on a corporate conference call. Chalk me up to daydreaming. Sorreeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!
Old Jun 30, 2007, 10:22 pm

Programs: You name it 😉
OOPS!!! You're totally correct -- that's what I get for posting while also "participating" on a corporate conference call. Chalk me up to daydreaming. Sorreeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!
We forgive you. Most people in that area are not seeing straight anyway.We kind of like it that way down here. Its not the heat it is the stupidity.
On a more serious note, things are getting better around here. It will never be back to Pre-K, but in some cases that is for the better. The local hangouts are filled with LOCALS and that "dazed look", for the most part, is gone. I plan to go house hunting in the fall but miss the old Lakeside neighborhood. Come on down when she opens back up.
Old Nov 26, 2007, 8:44 pm

Glad to see NO is bouncing back. I love my visits there every year. I have tried all SPG properties escept the Westin. I am a Plat and love the upgrades at the Poydras W, but it is furthest from Fr Qrt; the location and courtyard charm at the Fr Quart W are excellent, but I have never had an upgrade and I don't find the staff to be as helpful as other SPG properties; and location, upgrades and SPG Lounge at the Sheraton are all great. I have never had service problems here as some have described. Am going back in the spring and am deciding between the Sheraton and the Westin. Will be good to hear some feedback after Westin opens.
Old Nov 27, 2007, 7:38 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by 777 global mile hound
Look forward to this as an option in NOLA again.The French Quarter W went downhill in service and has little to offer in upgrades as it has next to no suites for Plats.The W NOLA was and still is a property of choice.
The new Westin has a bit of class to it and has an interesting history
with attractive large inviting public areas........
agreed. i much prefer the westin experience to the W experience.
Old Dec 4, 2007, 11:08 am

Any word on the new Westin?

We are going to NO in late January and this place caught my eye. Is there any word on what to expect?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.