Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Westin Canal Place, New Orleans [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Westin Canal Place, New Orleans [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Dec 28, 2008, 5:24 pm

Programs: SPG LTP (let me live my fantasy), UAL 1K/MM, SWA A-list, Alaska Gold, Hilton Diamond, IHG Plat
Thanks for the great information triple 7. I've got 6 rooms booked there for mardis gras and I have been a little worried that the rooms will not live up to their price tag. I appreciate your thorough review!
Old Dec 28, 2008, 8:28 pm
Ambassador: World of Hyatt
Original Poster

Originally Posted by ryno
Thanks for the great information triple 7. I've got 6 rooms booked there for mardis gras and I have been a little worried that the rooms will not live up to their price tag. I appreciate your thorough review!
Thanks for the kind words.Rooms are no less then satisfactory and typically better then that IMO for my tastes

I envy you to be so brave to go at the peak time of the year for the largest most popular annual event in the city.
Have you ever been?
My friends tell me it is not for the short of patience or timid/fear of crowds.Though I hear it can be an awful lot of fun
Its extremely crowded with long lines for everything especially at the popular places and very difficult to get good service.I would venture to say that for most hotels and other establishments this is the acid test to see if they are still standing after that event
I would rather be in the Westin and select other properties like them especially during these kind of events
Large hotels like the Westin typically have vast experience in all kinds of situations weather or otherwise.....

All that said and not to rain on your MG parade
My expectations would be lower then anytime all year.
I would not expect an upgrade however I would hope for one none the less
Please do share your experience with us upon your return in a trip report!
It doesn't get more interesting then MG have a blast!
Old Jan 11, 2009, 8:29 am

Programs: Starwood Preferred Guest, Wyndham By Request
I have arrived!

Just thought I would put a post out there to let you all know that I, the NOLAguy, have arrived in this thread. *fanfare, fireworks* haha. Only joking of course.

Now then, I do have a considerable amount of experience with this property *cough*, that, out of some pretty well founded fears, I don't care to elaborate on at this time.

I will say this. I've been in New Orleans for a few years. I was here when that hotel was a Wyndham and now a Westin. I'm familiar with the renovations and what it has to offer. I refuse to make any excuses for their lack of service, but hopefully, as a hotel insider in this city, I can provide some insight to some of the experiences that you have had or will have when you stay there.

From my own experience, the staff is excellent and will bend over backwards to see that your stay here is beyond your expectations. They will do whatever it takes to see that this Westin is not only similar to ones you are familiar with, but better. The only way they are limited is by management, and at some times can only do or say what they are instructed to do/say.

While I'm not completely familiar with their hotel operations, hopefully I can give any insight that I have for this hotel, as I try my best (when I have time) to review various NOLA hotels.

If I can help anyone better understand their stay here, or prepare for it, I am more than happy! If there is anything I love more than hotels, it's hotel guests.

You have me on your side.

PS: I am definatly not a part of their management team, nor will I ever be, so I have no interest in spewing forth anything brown colored that may come out of a member of the cattle species. (bull!) If I see something that I think is wrong, I will let you know about it.

Sincerely, NOLAguy.

Last edited by NOLAguy; Jan 11, 2009 at 8:52 am
Old Jan 11, 2009, 8:46 am

The Parking Predicament

I did want to make my next post about the parking situation here at this hotel, and hopefully I will think up more topics to post here that will be informative to those of you who are looking to stay here.

Parking.

Just to give you a heads up, this hotel is located at the very edge of the French Quarter. (Great walking distance!!) However, because of this, parking can be a huge problem, as it is just about anywhere in downtown New Orleans.

This hotel does not own it's own parking lot, and therefore cannot offer that as an option to potential guests. As far as I remember, there are three parking options available. Only the last, valet service, has anything to do with the hotel. The other two options truly are self-parking, meaning you are responsible for your car.

1: Self-Parking.

1a: There is a parking lot across the street from this hotel, and it does charge 20 dollars per-night to park there. It also has an hourly rate. They do charge you any time you leave the parking lot, so if you are going to be using your car a lot, be aware of this.

1b: There is a parking garage around the corner from this hotel, and they also do charge 20 dollars per-night to park there. Same conditions apply as above. Any time you leave the garage, you are required to pay. You can, however, bring your parking ticket (which you take when you pull in), to the front desk and have them stamp it for you (as a hotel guest) for $2.00 off, for a total of $18 dollars a night (the cheapest option). This garage is also patrolled regularly by the Canal Place Mall Security, so it is a safe option.

2: Valet. The hotel does now, and has for a few months, offer valet service. The cost is $36 dollars for overnight, (the most expensive), however free in & out privileges are provided. This may be especially important for you business travelers who may frequently need to use your vehicle to get from place to place. The cars are parked in the above mentioned, (1b), Canal Place Parking Garage, which is patrolled by Canal Place Mall Security. It is also a safe option. Also, I would always recommend bringing any valuables with you into the hotel, and securing them in the hotel safe. While I have not heard of any problems of theft from this hotel, I personally will never trust leaving my car with a stranger, and my keys, with anything valuable inside. That's just me. They have safes available that nobody can get into but you! So use them! This is also one of the only hotels in the city where I haven't yet heard of any accidents or damage on the part of the valet staff. They're either great with cars, or none of my people have told me of any damage yet.

Validating

Unfortunately, from what I've seen and been told, there is no validation of parking (aka free) for this hotel. I do not recommend parking anywhere along the street by yourself, as the New Orleans Police Department is very aggressive in ticketing and towing in this area, especially since it is considered to be part of the French Quarter.
- I have however, seen and heard of business groups who have set up their own validation parking. I'm not exactly sure how this works, but I do know it has been able to be done, just not through the hotel itself. That may be a question to ask the Sales Department on the specifics.

I hope this post helps!

The NOLAguy!
Old Jan 11, 2009, 9:05 am
Community Director Emerita

Welcome, NOLAguy!
Old Jan 11, 2009, 9:14 am

Thank you! By the way I absolutely love Starwood owned and operated hotels. It is a shame that this one is not owned by Starwood, however, as it is run by Columbia Sussex. I think that is a franchise? I might have to look that up. They are, however, supposed to be up to Westin Standards so if something isn't right that you are expecting, I would speak up and let them know about it.

Last edited by NOLAguy; Jan 14, 2009 at 7:37 am
Old Jan 11, 2009, 9:26 am

Anyone with questions or hotel experiences recently?

Last edited by NOLAguy; Jan 14, 2009 at 7:35 am
Old Jan 14, 2009, 7:32 am

Originally Posted by sbtinme
Add me to the choir of folks welcoming this Westin back into the fold. I, too, well remember this hotel at the original Westin Canal Place (remember when the barge careened into the lobby?!?!?!?). I'll be interested to know if room renovations are extensive or limited to just minimal soft goods and Westin Bed/Bath renovations.
I will try to respond to questions already asked before in this thread so hopefully anyone will feel free to ask new ones or get info from ones already asked.

The Renovations

It took way too long to get the renovations done, but they are finally completed. I'm not sure what you mean by soft goods but I will share with you what I know.

Mostly (hopefully all) Wyndham remnants have been eliminated. I really cannot call it a complete or extensive renovation but I will call it renovated enough. At least from our perspective.

The carpets are all brand new, as is the furniture, the front desk, the pictures on the walls, the bar, etc. (Unfortunately, the Green Bar has been closed down and is not being used, nor are there any existing plans to use it, aside from special occasions.) The bar has been moved into the restaurant, and that part has been completely rebuilt with new furniture added and a nice big screen tv. It seems the Westin has focused more on the view of the river, as opposed to the coziness & seclusion that the Green Bar offered.

The hallways on the floors have been completely redone. There is no more wallpaper, but instead bare painted walls. The old chandeliers and lighting has been removed in favor of a more modern look. The rooms have been redone, as far as carpet, new furniture, bathroom walls, etc.

Of course everything associated with the Westin has been added. The scent blasting machines, the music being pumped in, the double shower heads, the Westin Beds, etc.

Two major changes that have taken place are that it is now a smoke free hotel. Guests are asked to take the elevators down to the first floor lobby and go outside to smoke. Also, they do now allow pets. I believe they only allow dogs up to 50 lbs, according to Westin's website. I'm not sure how strictly that is followed but I do know that they reserve the lower two floors as pet floors. I can imagine there might be pets on upper floors, however, if they don't tell the front desk upon check-in that a pet is being brought in.

Personally, I've seen the place before and after the renovations, and while I do very much miss the old antique look and feel of the hotel, they did a decent job (not perfect or great) of remodeling. It's great to have new carpets and new furniture, and I hope they at least keep up on cleaning it.

They could also seriously do something about the elevators, which to my knowledge don't seem to have had anything done to them at all, aside from interior remodeling. My point is, while that is nice to look at, do they work? Do they run when they need to? I've been told that they are the original elevators from when the hotel opened back in the 80s so I would expect a few problems from time to time. Hopefully sooner or later the hotel will address this and get them revamped, aside from just looking good.

The Nola Guy
Old Jan 14, 2009, 8:09 am
Suspended

Programs: Delta - Gold; Starwood - Platinum; HHonors - Diamond & Avis Preferred
Well I remember when it was first a Westin (that old school motif - ick!), then a Wyndham, so I'm happy that this property has returned as a Westin.

I'm glad that brassy old antique stuff is out of there. ^^

I can't wait to check the new Westin Canal Place out!
Old Jan 21, 2009, 10:56 am

The Pool

Originally Posted by itsaboutthejourney
Your friend can do better; W FQ has a great pool amidst a courtyard setting, even the mega-Sheraton is a well oiled machine. Sadly, Westin NO is run by Columbia Sucks, a pathetic operator of sub-par hotels that Starwood would be wise to end it's partnership with.
The Pool

I really did not like the pool when I visited last weekend. It is open (for those of you who visited during the renovations and it wasn't). It is a heated rooftop pool. The awful green carpeting has been taken out and the bare wood underneath is what remains. What baffles me is the question of, how slippery does a wooden floor get when it is surrounding a pool? And on a rooftop no less? The condition of the wood, from my perspective, looks like it really could use a lot of work. A lot of the boards I saw need replacing, or at the very least could be sanded and refinished. The furniture looked the same to me.

Anyone remember when there was a bar up there? That has been removed. Instead there is a nice looking new towel cabinet in it's place. There are also lots of new signs posted around that you normally see around pools, including prohibiting guests from bringing glass containers up there.

Their pool is only open from 6am to 10pm, with no lifeguard on duty.
Old Feb 24, 2009, 5:22 pm

Programs: SPG LTP (let me live my fantasy), UAL 1K/MM, SWA A-list, Alaska Gold, Hilton Diamond, IHG Plat
Just back from a great weekend in New Orleans. Celebrated Mardis Gras and stayed at the Westin. We ended up having 6 rooms there, and there were no complaints. Granted we were all taking into account that this was the busiest weekend of the year. No one expected perfect elevator service or speedy service when 160 hungover people were trying to check out at once.

Pros:
Staff were incredibly responsive, patient, and the hotel was well staffed throughout the weekend. Valets gave spot on directions, carried everything up to our rooms, and kept smiling through all of the hoopla. They really tried to meet all of our requests (late checkout, bed preference).

Housekeepers really outdid themselves considering the rooms get pretty trashed this time of year. We always had extra towels out and turn down service as well as extra ammenities each night. They kept those rooms looking great.

Location and view: You can walk everywhere. Prime location. WIth the lobby being on the 11th floor you have the most fantastic view of the MI river. Our 2 year old watched the ships all morning while I enjoyed the complimentary coffee (until 10am) and let everyone else sleep in. The rooms with river view are worth it, you just can't beat it.

F&B staff were all very accomodating. My room service lunch was sent to the wrong room. They immediately corrected it and comped lunch. They also comped a slice of chocolate cake for my husband's birthday when we got back from Tucks and we all wanted to do an impromptu wish.

Maintenance staff had to come by twice to fix the TV. Bummer, but they were there within 15 minutes of calling. Fixed the problem in two minutes and were on their way. Gave me some points and a free movie for the trouble.

The rooms are actually not bad for a westin- average. There is a large tiled foyer area which is great for dumping bucketloads of beads, parade ladder and coolers. Everything is new and recently remodeled and the bathrooms are larger than average.

Cons:
Parking is pricey and it can take a very long time to get your car. I think they park them in a lot a mile away.

The pool area has so much potential, but it's really not much. It looks great in the pictures, but it's not heated (well, it's barely heated) and they just don't make it very inviting. A little love there would go a long way.

FYI: There is a wal mart not far from the hotel (3 minute drive). Convention center is within walking distance. Fr Quarter is just outside the front door. Hotel sits over a high-end mall with a starbucks. But the starbucks has very limited food items so your best bet is to eat at the hotel restaurant for a few extra bucks or walk 5 minutes to Mothers.

Overall, we all thought the hotel and service was outstanding and a good value (we paid a little between $250 and $300/night) and then a few rooms on points. Happy Mardis Gras!
Old Oct 11, 2009, 12:37 pm

Just completed a stay for a week here.

very nice property, wonderful staff and service. as platinum got upgraded to imperial suite. i liked the lobby area very large, bright and good views of the river. the food at the restaurant is good too.
Old Oct 11, 2009, 12:58 pm
Ambassador: World of Hyatt
Original Poster

Outstanding SPG Platinum Recognition

I too took another 4 night stay here recently as I did the Hilton Riverside and the InterContinental in NOLA.
The Westin beat them all with their excellent recognition ^
The can do attitude to any request was amazing even before arrival
Had a party for guests in my suite and room service did a brilliant job with the food.
Have had so many poor stays at one particular Sheraton in New York where I am forced to earn my elite status I was starting to dislike all Starwood Hotels
Its one of those Sheratons where almost no one belongs

The Westin Canal Place renewed my faith that some SPG hotels are
looking to earn lifetime relationships with their customers with a world class program.
This is now my first choice everytime I consider a booking in NOLA
Thank You Westin New Orleans its great to have you back
Old Oct 11, 2009, 3:34 pm
Suspended

Programs: Delta - Gold; Starwood - Platinum; HHonors - Diamond & Avis Preferred
Originally Posted by 777 global mile hound
I too took another 4 night stay here recently as I did the Hilton Riverside and the InterContinental in NOLA.
The Westin beat them all with their excellent recognition ^
The can do attitude to any request was amazing even before arrival
Had a party for guests in my suite and room service did a brilliant job with the food.
Have had so many poor stays at one particular Sheraton in New York where I am forced to earn my elite status I was starting to dislike all Starwood Hotels
Its one of those Sheratons where almost no one belongs

The Westin Canal Place renewed my faith that some SPG hotels are
looking to earn lifetime relationships with their customers with a world class program.
This is now my first choice everytime I consider a booking in NOLA
Thank You Westin New Orleans its great to have you back
Pictures? Decor? Room? Gym?
Old Oct 11, 2009, 7:47 pm

Originally Posted by Cheap Elite
Pictures? Decor? Room? Gym?

sorry CE no pictures, but the gym is small but very well equipped, the pool is located on the roof, small but very nice view of NOLA.

Decor, standard westin Decor.

the hotel is connected to a very nice small mall.

and if you buy something from the mall or NOLA in general you can get the tax amount back either at river walk ( 5 min walk from the westin) or at the airport. it is 9% not bad. just make sure that the store participate in the tax refund program, most of them do.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.