Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Sheraton Grande Tokyo Bay Hotel, at Tokyo Disney, Japan [Master Thread]

Old Nov 26, 2014, 11:47 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: littlevoices
The hotel is part of the Disney Tokyo resort and you can use the monorail to get to either park.
There is a new park wing that has a higher class of rooms, though the same facilities that includes an excellent children's play area that is free for elite members
Print Wikipost

Sheraton Grande Tokyo Bay Hotel, at Tokyo Disney, Japan [Master Thread]

Old Feb 12, 2006, 8:16 pm
Original Poster

Arrow Sheraton Grande Tokyo Bay Hotel, at Tokyo Disney, Japan [Master Thread]

I did a search to read some current trip reports on this property and I didn't find anything too recent. Has anyone stayed there recently?

From what I can tell, it's a 30 minute ride outside of the heart of Tokyo. We're considering a 3 night stay there this fall and are wondering if the Westin Tokyo would be a better choice for a first-time visitor to Tokyo.

We do want to visit Tokyo Disney so this hotel seemed ideal for that; however, we'd also like to see Tokyo itself.
Old Feb 12, 2006, 9:09 pm
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: Japan Forum, Skyteam Elite Plus, BW Diamond Select, HHonors Gold, NWA, DL, NH
If your main purpose is to visit Central Tokyo, then the Westin Tokyo or the LeMeridian Pacific (which should be part of SPG after the integration) is your best bets.

If your main purpose is to visit Tokyo Disneyland with a day out to Central Tokyo than I would say the Sheraton Tokyo Bay is your best bet.
Old Feb 16, 2006, 4:30 am

Programs: SPG, AA: PLAT; Hilton: Diamon, UAL: Premier Exec; IC_PriClub; 308 hours flying Boeing 707's
Also suggest the Westin Tokyo for downtown access

Stayed there 3 or 4 nights ago. An overly welcoming hotel. Pros: Amazingly friendly staff, good facilities, close to activities! Right next to a fairly upscale shopping center... and yet another Joel Robuchon restaurant.

Cons: 10 minute walk from Ebisu JR/Subway stop (along a moving walkway)

I like the Sheraton Grande. Was amazingly impressed by the front desk reception manager who took care of me far above and beyond my concept of service. I can't recommend his hotel enough based on his service. It's located in Chiba, about 20 minutes by JR train... and then another 4 to 5 minutes aboard the Disney monorail.

The Sheraton Grande has a great Japanese style spa (comp'd for Platinum) and you have your choice of breakfast from 3 or 4 of their restaurants (all great) so if you are taking it leisurely and don't mind being home by 12 am (last JR train is 0030) then it's a great home base. Definitely a better upgrade since they have many suites versus the Westin's 6 or 8 (request the Japanese style room if you can stand the tatami mat, it's a comparable US two room suite and I found it very elegant). It also grants you access to an Onsen on the floor of the hotel.

Both have a good lounge and a nice physical plant. I would let price guide me, and if the Westin Tokyo is comparable, it's two stops from the Mejii-Shingu shrine and four stops from Shinjuku... plus you'll have a great view of the city... it's worth a few thousand extra yen.

Note the Westin does not include additional fees in it's rates. The Sheraton Grande does.

-- CaptainG
Old Feb 21, 2006, 3:10 pm
Original Poster

Captain G -- did you have lounge access? If so, what was included. A call to SPG did not result in much information. The agent was very sweet but she actually said, "It includes a bathroom and a bed." She laughed as she said it but she said that her screen wasn't giving her the information that it should have. I'm NOT complaining about the SPG res agent -- she was very friendly. She just didn't have access to the requested information.

If I stay in an executive room, what extra amenities go with the room. I've tried to research it online and I believe there's a breakfast credit but I'm not sure in what amount.
Old Apr 15, 2006, 3:02 am

Programs: Willamette Valley Cropdusters Silver Elite, National Tent Frequent Stay program, Ed's Rent-a-tractor
New SPG floor open at the Tokyo Bay

Originally Posted by tadive
Captain G -- did you have lounge access? If so, what was included. A call to SPG did not result in much information.
Just received a postcard from the Sheraton Grande Tokyo Bay announcing the opening of their Starwood Preferred Guest Floor on the 11th floor. According to the information given, booking any room (even the cheapest) and putting in a request for an upgrade will result in an upgrade (based on availability) to the new SPG Floor and any SPG (even non-elite) member. Amenities included the rooms on this new floor include Sweet Sleeper Beds, work desk, flat panel monitor/TV built into wall cabinet, coffee maker and bottled water, Internet and VOD (charge), bathrobes, and "other amenities". All rooms are non-smoking.

Opening together with the new SPG floor is the dedicated SPG lounge, located on the same floor and open to all guests of said floor, and offering drinks and tidbits (self-service) all day long from 9 am to 9:30 pm.
Old Apr 15, 2006, 3:02 pm

Programs: DL Gold; AA Plat; SPG Gold
Originally Posted by CaptainG

Cons: 10 minute walk from Ebisu JR/Subway stop (along a moving walkway)

I like the Sheraton Grande. Was amazingly impressed by the front desk reception manager who took care of me far above and beyond my concept of service. I can't recommend his hotel enough based on his service. It's located in Chiba, about 20 minutes by JR train... and then another 4 to 5 minutes aboard the Disney monorail.

-- CaptainG
Is it really a 20 minute train ride to Tokyo Disneyland or is the whole trip 20 minutes and the monorail ride?
Old Apr 19, 2006, 12:48 am

Programs: SPG, AA: PLAT; Hilton: Diamon, UAL: Premier Exec; IC_PriClub; 308 hours flying Boeing 707's
Lounge at both the Sheraton and Westin Tokyo

Originally Posted by tadive
Captain G -- did you have lounge access? If so, what was included. A call to SPG did not result in much information. The agent was very sweet but she actually said, "It includes a bathroom and a bed." She laughed as she said it but she said that her screen wasn't giving her the information that it should have. I'm NOT complaining about the SPG res agent -- she was very friendly. She just didn't have access to the requested information.

If I stay in an executive room, what extra amenities go with the room. I've tried to research it online and I believe there's a breakfast credit but I'm not sure in what amount.
Westin Tokyo
Lounge access emulates the tower concept. A concierge who recognized me by name and checked me in on the 17th floor took care of everything I needed: baggage, currency exchange, airport transportation and directions. The lounge had puff pastries, fruit and basic drinks during the day. That was better than some US Sheraton lounges. I wasn't around in the evening, but opted for a free drink at the Compass Rose Bar in lieu of evening lounge access. The breakfast was complete. It was more than enough food that I couldn't sample everything (and I eat about 3500 calories a day). There was fresh seafood, squid, salmon, puff pastries, fresh fruit, eggs, cereal... everything you needed. The lounge was classy and a nice haven. The concierges did a good job at recognizing me even though I hadn't been introduced. You can elect for breakfast credit which will cover one person in the cafe downstairs or significantly offset your meal in the main restaurant (Victor's, I believe) or you can just opt for the lounge. The lounge more than satiated my appetite. The executive room that I had included a flat screen TV, DVD player, entire travel kit of amenities (toothbrush, deodarant, shaving cream) and elegant furnishings. I would place it with the Westin Kierland as the top two furnished Westin's I've stayed at (of approximately 20).

Sheraton Grande Tokyo
Lounge access included cookies, soda and one of the three Sheraton Grande Tokyo's signature drinks during the off hours. The evening had a nice selection of treats, including some local specialties and some worldwide favorites. I didn't have breakfast in the lounge, because SPG plats are given complimentary breakfast vouchers for any of the restaurants in the hotel. It covered my entire breakfast, and I'm a distance runner who eats 3 plates at a setting. The amenities were upscale, but not Molton Brown or the Bulgari I received at one of the Lux Coll. properties. Rather than an executive room, I choose a Japanese style room. It was perfect. Would have slept four easily, and was an easy 700 sq feet with two great balconies facing the bay. These rooms included access to the Onsen on site. I speak highly of the Sheraton Grande as a getaway, but the transit time to Tokyo was to much. I prefer the Westin Tokyo for that.

Sorry for the delay in responses. I was travelling to some places that didn't allow internet connections to the outside world.

-- CaptainG
Old Apr 19, 2006, 12:50 am

30 minutes from Tokyo eki to the entrance of the Sheraton Grande Tokyo Bay

Originally Posted by hawaiiroaddog
Is it really a 20 minute train ride to Tokyo Disneyland or is the whole trip 20 minutes and the monorail ride?
hawaiiroaddog

Thank you for keeping my communication accurate! The JR ride is 20 minutes. It was a 2 minute walk to the monorail station, a 3 minute wait and possibly another 6 minutes to circumnavigate the park and arrive at the Sheraton Grande Tokyo Bay.

Thanks again for helping me communicate more clearly!

-- CaptainG
Old Apr 20, 2006, 11:01 pm

Programs: Starwood Gold ne Platinum; AA Plat.
Not a lot to add, but here's my two cents

We stayed last March/April at both the Westin Tokyo and the Sheraton Grand Bay Tokyo (and experienced a pretty-darn big earthquake at the Grand Bay). I agree that the Westin is fairly centrally located, about a 10 minute walk from a small shopping mall and the subway station in Ebisu. The location itself was pretty central, given that this was our first time in Tokyo and we just wanted to see the city. The downside (matter of perspective) is that it's very staid, business-person's hotel. Big lobby, lots of marble, overpriced breakfast buffet and small rooms (though I wasn't platinum at that time, so maybe it would have been different had I been). I have to believe there are more fun hotels to stay in in Tokyo.

The Sheraton Tokyo Bay is, ultimately, a Sheraton. My fiancee wanted to go to Disneyland so we stayed there. We were about 5 minutes from the park (I think we had to cross the street to get little shuttle buses), but the hotel was kind of blah. The restaurants are pretty pedestrian, but presumably you're not going to Disneyland for the food.

The best hotel of the trip, btw, was the St. Regis Beijing. Perhaps the best use of *points I've found. An elegant hotel with great service.
Old Sep 25, 2006, 11:29 am
Suspended

Tokyo Bay - Sheraton Grande or Hilton

Rates are similar, the Sheraton being slightly higher.

From what I can gather so far, Sheraton seems to have nicer rooms while Hilton gives out extra freebies like dining credit (?)

Which is a better place to stay for a SPG Plat/HH Diamond ?
Old Sep 25, 2006, 7:21 pm
Original Member

Location: Portland OR Double Emerald (QF and AA), DL PM/MM, Starwood Plat
Hotels in Japan are different from most countries in that they are very service oriented and status conscious, but that status is more determined by the room category that you book rather than being Platinum or Diamond. Hence the problems people have with room upgrades. I'd check what level of room those rates are for at each property, and pick the one that is highest from the bottom. I'm not familiar with that Hilton but I expect the Sheraton is a nicer hotel and has better rooms.
Old Sep 25, 2006, 9:49 pm

Programs: Continental One Pass & HHonors Silver
Shearton's Nice

I stayed at the Shearton last november and thought that it was nice. The staff is wonderful there and they seem to go out of there way to help you.
Old Sep 26, 2006, 7:16 am

Programs: Willamette Valley Cropdusters Silver Elite, National Tent Frequent Stay program, Ed's Rent-a-tractor
I've stayed at both. All things being equal, I would take the Sheraton.
Old Feb 20, 2008, 3:00 pm

Programs: UA (1MM); SPG Plat
Stayed here in Dec 2007. Check in at the Train station. Received an upgrade to a one-bedroom suite, received breakfast vouchers to use in the lobby cafe, and recreation vouchers.

After spending the morning/afternoon in DisneySea, went to the hotel to freshener up. The hallway appears old and smokey. Once in room, it's spacious, but the furnishing are OLD and very very UGLY. The beds are very uncomfortable. Should of requested the Japanese style room. Oh well.

Went to the Teppanyaki in the courtyard, it was a bit hard to find. Went for the $150 USD per person set dinner. The beef was too oily for our taste, not sure why it's so expensive, would of settle for any of the Morton's/Ruth Chris/Shula's than this place.
Old Aug 12, 2008, 5:56 am

Recent reports?

I haven't stayed at this hotel for a while. Has anything changed since 2006? There's only been one negative post since 2006. Has anyone stayed here recently that can also share their thoughts on this hotel? (IE plat treatment) Last time i was there they were revamping the rooms. Are the rooms significantly better now?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.