Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Munich, Germany, which hotel? [Master Thread]

Munich, Germany, which hotel? [Master Thread]

Old Jan 17, 2008, 10:52 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA (1MM); SPG Plat
Arrow Munich, Germany, which hotel? [Master Thread]

Since the fare from US to Germany in Feb/Mar is so cheap, we decided to do a mileage run on Delta. We will be spending two nights in Munich, one of which will be at the Le Meridien (to get my 6th Stay for the get 4 free night promo).

Just wondering if the weather (being cold and snow) would hamper a potential mattress run for the second night stay. If not, what would be the recommended hotel? We will not have a car. We will be getting in on Saturday morning and leaving Monday morning.

It doesn't matter if we stay at Le Meridien on Saturday night or Sunday night. Appreciate the help.

Last edited by sink; Jan 17, 2008 at 10:53 am Reason: modify title
Old Jan 17, 2008, 11:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Plat, IHG and Hilton Diamond, LH SEN, BA Gold
Originally Posted by sink
Just wondering if the weather (being cold and snow) would hamper a potential mattress run for the second night stay. If not, what would be the recommended hotel?
You really made me smile Germany has already have introduced the subway, roads are ploughed and in a city like Munich you should not see too much of the winter. All Sheratons can easily be reached from the LM at the main station (avoid the 4Ps). All three, Westpark, Arabellapark and Grand get good remarks. Maybe Westpark provides the best value for money.
Old Jan 18, 2008, 4:54 am

Programs: Mattiott Lifetime Titanium Elite, LH SEN, IB Emerald, Hilton Diamond
The Sheraton Munich Westpark is quite nice (the extierior looks horrible/think the building is from the 60s (concrete buidling)). The interior is beautiful - better rooms than the Le Meridien Munich. Breakfast superb (in restaurant as well as club lounge (perhaps closed on weekends)). Try to get a room on an upper level with view on the city of Munich.

Location is average. Right next to the hotel there's a train station (Heimeransplatz or something) which brings you to main station, Stachus (Shopping) or Marienplatz within 5-10 Mins.
The LM ist situatied right next to the main station - superb hotel as well.

The other sheraton hotels (Arabellapark/Grand) are situated in Bogenhausen or something. Is a longer yourney from there (subway) to the city as from the Westpark.
If you have any further questions, don't hesitate
Old Jan 18, 2008, 10:07 pm

Programs: HH Gold, PC Platinum, SPG Platinum, AM Gold, Avis First
The club lounge at the Westpark jsut got renovated in October/07 and is beautiful-excellent free beer selection in the evening and decent appetizers. As Andie mentioned, great breakfast-the best Sheraton club floor breakfast I have ever had! E-mail them directly to see if the room renos are done...
Old Jan 19, 2008, 9:46 am

Originally Posted by plastic_canuck
The club lounge at the Westpark jsut got renovated in October/07 and is beautiful-excellent free beer selection in the evening and decent appetizers. As Andie mentioned, great breakfast-the best Sheraton club floor breakfast I have ever had! E-mail them directly to see if the room renos are done...
The hotel was closed during the christmas/new years days for renovation (?). I've checked out on Dec. 20 and the concierge mentioned something about this.

Rooms are really superb. The Club Lounge as well!
Have a nice stay at Munich.
Old Jan 20, 2008, 11:07 am

Would the courtyard location be much more quite?

Originally Posted by Flying Lawyer
This is getting funny now: Getting a room facing the street is a reason to complain and getting a room facing the courtyard is a reason to complain. However, there is no third choice. Street or Courtyard. No chance to see the Alps from there. Sad enough. But very central, good enough. However, I checked in today and got one of the very few Junior Suites. However, a room facing the courtyard and no view....
Old Jan 20, 2008, 11:36 am

Originally Posted by best
Would the courtyard location be much more quite?
In my opition the courtyard rooms are very quite in the winter season.
Nevertheless, I had no probs with the rooms facing the street.

But if you're looking for more quiet room -ask for the courtyard location
(SPG rooms are on 7th - 9th floor).
Old Jan 21, 2008, 11:33 am

Great stay at the Le Meridien Munich. Upgraded to a nice executive suite (we are platinum). Troy did a great job as the concierge. Our luggage was delayed and the staff followed up until we received it. Surrounded by fast food restaurants and a 15 minute walk to the town square, Glockenspiel, and nicer restaurants. Eight euro to get a train ticket to the airport and with the train station right across the street, very convenient.
Old Jan 28, 2008, 9:20 am

Do any of the Munich hotels listed in this thread offer complimentary food/amenities on Saturday and Sunday for Platinum SPGs?

I am trying to decide where to stay this Saturday night. Right now, I am thinking of using SPG points. I am only in town for 1 night (unfortunately) and have never been to MUC before. I arrive at 7:30 AM on saturday and depart from the airport around 2 pm on Sunday.

Any suggestions from the old hands on where I can get the most bang for my point given my circumstances?

Cheers!

EDIT: I've discovered most of my answer by reading through the thread. Thanks for any further suggestions.

Last edited by jjgollum; Jan 28, 2008 at 10:16 am Reason: update
Old Jan 28, 2008, 10:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I believe only the Sheratons have lounges, but do you really want to go to Munich to have junkfood in a lounge??

For a short stay like yours I would neither stay at the Grand nor the Arabellapark. The Westpark is not bad, however the LM is in walking distance to everything and has a direct train (S-Bahn) link to the airport every 10 minutes.
Old Jan 28, 2008, 12:02 pm

Originally Posted by Flying Lawyer
I believe only the Sheratons have lounges, but do you really want to go to Munich to have junkfood in a lounge??

For a short stay like yours I would neither stay at the Grand nor the Arabellapark. The Westpark is not bad, however the LM is in walking distance to everything and has a direct train (S-Bahn) link to the airport every 10 minutes.
emphasis mine

Great point. I am used to maximizing freebies so I asked without really thinking.

From reading through the posts, it looks like the Westpark is only about 10 minutes farther walking distance past the LM. If so, I think I may go that route as I will be out and about and would like to keep the point expenditure low since it's just myself that's going out there.
Old Jan 28, 2008, 1:38 pm

Programs: EX-*wood platinum, EX-hyatt diamond, sixt platinum, hilton silver, leaders club, esselunga verde...
The lobby in the Arabella Sheraton Grand was open yesterday evening^

The lobby in the Arabella Sheraton Arabellapark can be closed on weekends
Old Jan 29, 2008, 3:16 pm

Originally Posted by jjgollum
emphasis mine

Great point. I am used to maximizing freebies so I asked without really thinking.

From reading through the posts, it looks like the Westpark is only about 10 minutes farther walking distance past the LM. If so, I think I may go that route as I will be out and about and would like to keep the point expenditure low since it's just myself that's going out there.
I ended up booking the Four Points by Sheraton Munich Central for 4k points. I'm a young guy and wanted to be thrifty when it came to where to stay since I'll be alone.

Location looks good and I didn't see many comments here about this particular hotel. I'm not expecting anything much, just a safe place to sleep and store my bag for a night.
Old Jan 29, 2008, 11:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by jjgollum
Location looks good and I didn't see many comments here about this particular hotel. I'm not expecting anything much, just a safe place to sleep and store my bag for a night.
With that expectation you will not be disappointed. Location is good and your further requirements will be met.
Old Feb 7, 2008, 1:05 am
MXS

Programs: UA 1K, AA, SPG Platinum, Hilton Diamond, PC Plat, Hertz 5-Star
Staying at the Westpark this weekend and was just looking at the subway from MUC to Heimeran-platz (hope this is the right station for this hotel). Is the best route to go from MUC to Donnersberger-brucke and switch to the subway to Heimeran-platz?

The first day that I arrive I plan on taking the subway/trains around Munich to see some sites around the city. What would be the best type of ticket to buy for the subway/train at the MUC airport? from reading other posts it appears there is a ticket you can buy that allows unlimited travel on the subway/train but I do not know the name of it.

Thank you in advance.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.