Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Munich, Germany, which hotel? [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Munich, Germany, which hotel? [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Jan 3, 2015, 7:56 am

Programs: All of the Above
I can't comment on the Sheraton there, but the Westin lounge is very nice and pretty new. Serves a very nice breakfast, and a nice evening spread with a great view. If going downtown any, the tram is very convenient and an easy walk from the Sheraton or the Westin (maybe 200 yards).

Considering the rental car need, and the comments about the Sheraton vs Westin lounge, and they are both equally close to public transportation, I'd go with the Westin.
Old Jan 3, 2015, 9:52 am

Programs: LT Marriott Gold, Velocity Gold, Accor Gold
I would choose the Sheraton Westpark. I had a recent stay there and quite enjoyed it. I'm a Plat 50 and could have had a suite if not for the issue that I needed two beds. The lounge was great, most evenings we were satisfied by the offerings that we did not need to go out for dinner (note we never stay a property intending to freeload all our meals, just we were satisfied to snack on the offerings). Staff were also very friendly. There is a U-Bahn station with elevator bang smack in front of you as you leave the hotel, probably no more than 25 steps. S-Bahn is at the back of the property. We came to realise after a month of travelling in Europe the best Bircher Muesli we had in Europe was in the lounge at the Sheraton Westpark. You can also have breakfast in the main restaurant in lieu of points I think.

I stayed at the Sheraton Arabella in 2013 and did not like it as much as the Westpark. They did upgrade me to a suite without asking, the club was only ok, never really felt very welcome there, also thought the food offerings were not that inspiring, ie bowls of gummy bears. The location did not bother me as UBahn station was a walkable distance.
Old Jan 4, 2015, 10:02 pm

Programs: Marriott Titanium, Hyatt Globalist
Dirk, David, and Toula-thank you so much. This info was incredibly helpful, especially the tip about a market being close to the Westin. I think I am leaning towards the Westin. Thanks again everyone!
Old Feb 18, 2015, 1:05 am

My flight leaves 7:25am from Munich to London (and arriving 9am the day before).
Hilton is over 250+ per night on the date of my arrival. What properties should I stay at in Munich for one night stay? free spa access will be a plus. Breakfast not necessary.
Old Feb 18, 2015, 6:55 am

Programs: UA *S , MR LT Titanium, HH Diamond, Hertz PC
If you plan on using public transport to the airport, the LeMeridien would be the natural choice as it is across from the central train station where both the S-Bahn to the airport as well as the Lufthansa Airport bus departs.

Greetings - Dirk
Old Feb 18, 2015, 10:24 am

Originally Posted by djohannw
If you plan on using public transport to the airport, the LeMeridien would be the natural choice as it is across from the central train station where both the S-Bahn to the airport as well as the Lufthansa Airport bus departs.

Greetings - Dirk
Thanks so much! I guess I have to leave the hotel super early but I have no choice! (Guess more time for me to sleep in on the way back). Do they have train running around 4am back to Airport?
Old Feb 18, 2015, 3:15 pm

Programs: UA *S , MR LT Titanium, HH Diamond, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by anchor79
Thanks so much! I guess I have to leave the hotel super early but I have no choice! (Guess more time for me to sleep in on the way back). Do they have train running around 4am back to Airport?
I would assume so, yet at a rather low frequency - ask the concierge for the actual times. The first airport-bus departs the central station at 5:15 and will make the 45 minutes to the airport if nothing major happens - bringing you there at 6:00 which I would think is sufficient for a 7:25 departure...

http://www.airportbus-muenchen.de/en/home/

Greetings - Dirk
Old Feb 27, 2015, 9:59 am

I'm heading to Munich for my birthday trip this year and been reading this thread with great interest. From everything I have gathered, the *wood properties there are nothing great. I did see that an Aloft is opening this summer....never having stayed at an Aloft, can anyone recommend this type of property (especially since it will be nice and new)? All the other *wood hotels in MUC look really drab and dreary. Also, does anyone know about the Aloft location to tourist sites?
Old Feb 27, 2015, 1:55 pm

Programs: UA Plat MM, AA Gold MM, Marriott LTT, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by VXCabinCrew
I'm heading to Munich for my birthday trip this year and been reading this thread with great interest. From everything I have gathered, the *wood properties there are nothing great. I did see that an Aloft is opening this summer....never having stayed at an Aloft, can anyone recommend this type of property (especially since it will be nice and new)? All the other *wood hotels in MUC look really drab and dreary. Also, does anyone know about the Aloft location to tourist sites?
How did you come to this conclusion? What are your priorities for the hotel?

Aloft hotels are supposed to be more trendy/modern. I've only stayed at SFO Aloft and I wouldn't select one for vacation. Aloft hotels do not have lounges, which are very nice to have when you're in Munich.

If you want a nice hotel with a nice spa and Lounge, then Westin is the recommended.
Old Mar 2, 2015, 2:45 pm

Programs: AA EXP...couple hotels and cars too
Originally Posted by VXCabinCrew
Both the sheraton and westin are not centrally located. In the summer the Westin is taken over by middle eastern guests.... not much catering to any needs of the rank and file Platinum guests. Plus the hotel is showing it's age. I finally gave up and move to Le Meridien.

Le Mer is a central location- across the street from the main train station, a few blocks walk into the ecntral part of the city. Get a room on the garden side, OR a very high floor. (I dont like street noise.) I had a suite on the 7th floor that was pretty nice time before last trip. Last week I had a nice quite garden king.
Old Jul 20, 2015, 2:49 pm

Programs: SPG Gold, Hilton Gold, Priority Platinum, Hyatt Platinum
September Stay with a Toddler

We will be staying in Munich for three nights just before Oktoberfest kicks off with a 1.5 year old who naps after lunch (although she can nap in a stroller if needed). We don't have much sightseeing planned yet, but we plan to wander around the Old City and the English Garden, and possibly spend a day at the Zoo.

I was leaning towards Le Meridien due to the location. We typically sleep like the dead (although jet lag is always an X factor) so a little noise outside wouldn't bother us. Are the Westin and Sheraton Arabella worth the extra trek? I was also considering the Four Points, but it seems like their standard rooms are much smaller than Le Meridien's.
Old Jul 26, 2015, 7:27 pm

Just completed a stay at the Sheraton Westpark. I'd suggest checking it out. The hotel is literally feet from the U-bahn stop, so is just as convenient to the old town as the Le Meridian (with a stroller, i wouldn't consider the Le Meridian walkable to the old town). The Westpark is also closer to the Oktoberfest grounds.

The hotel was very quiet (even overlooking a train station from our room) and had a great bar downstairs (plus a nice lounge if you have Platinum status by then). The Le Meridian/Aloft are across the street from the U-bahn stop at the Hauptbahnhof, but I was not a fan of the neighborhood (go one way and you hit the old town, go the other way and you hit strip clubs). The Sheraton Arabellapark/Westin are more convenient to the English Garden (about a 5 minute walk to the tram to take you to the heart of the park), but are less convenient to the U-bahn stop for regular sightseeing. We stayed at the Sheraton Arabellapark as well, but were less enamored with it. Nicer decor, but the service was much more "sterile" there.
Old Aug 5, 2015, 6:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, Hilton Gold
We are staying at the Sheraton Westpark before we take delivery of our new BMW, we have been upgraded to an Executive Suite already, what can we expect as far as a room goes? How breakfast here?
Old Aug 5, 2015, 2:15 pm

Programs: AA L.T. PLT
Originally Posted by rachel645
We will be staying in Munich for three nights just before Oktoberfest kicks off with a 1.5 year old who naps after lunch (although she can nap in a stroller if needed). We don't have much sightseeing planned yet, but we plan to wander around the Old City and the English Garden, and possibly spend a day at the Zoo.

I was leaning towards Le Meridien due to the location. We typically sleep like the dead (although jet lag is always an X factor) so a little noise outside wouldn't bother us. Are the Westin and Sheraton Arabella worth the extra trek? I was also considering the Four Points, but it seems like their standard rooms are much smaller than Le Meridien's.
Stayed at the Le Meridien last September. Got a very nice room and location of the hotel was great for getting around. I never noticed any noise issues. Staff was excellent.
Old Oct 13, 2015, 4:59 pm

Programs: Club Awesome
Will be going to Munich this December for a first time visit, see the Christmas markets and general sightseeing. We will have two stays one two nighter, then one one nighter, we will be taking a trip to Innsbruck that gap night. I will be Platinum at the time of visit, but an executive lounge is not a requirement. We do fly out of Munich that last day so somewhat easy access to the airport is needed (either via train or cab). Any help would be appreciated!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.