Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Westin Moana Surfrider, Waikiki Honolulu, Hawaii [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jun 21, 2019, 3:43 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: margarita girl
Hotel email: [email protected]
Print Wikipost

Westin Moana Surfrider, Waikiki Honolulu, Hawaii [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Oct 24, 2015, 6:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci, BAEC LT Gold, HH Dia, MR LT Plat, IHG Diamond Amb, Amex Plat
Are the suites better than the Penthouse rooms?

I loved the Penthouse room and terrace there, which seemed to be on the same side as the XX95 albeit looking above the Outrigger.
Old Dec 7, 2015, 7:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, AC MM E75, Marriott LT Ti, IHG Dia Amb, Hyatt Glob
Just spent a few days here (bread pudding for breakfast on 2 out of 3 days ^) and they've instituted a new system where someone walks around with a white board taking note of occupied but empty chairs (claimed with books and towels) and after an hour of no activity, towels are removed and chairs are released. Well done, as there are not enough pool chairs at this property.
Old Jan 12, 2016, 2:55 pm

Programs: Hilton Gold, IHG Platinum Ambassador, Carlson Gold, British Airways Executive Club
Booked moana stay

I have read all the reviews and comments on this and the Sheraton/Royal Hawaiian forums and taken the plunge by booking a five night stay at the moana in August. I am SPG gold and used points to book the stay. It will be me, wife and two teenage children. I have booked hotels with SPG before but when I rang up to book the operator gave me a number of room options with points that I had not had before. I was under the impression that you could only book what you saw on the website and that nothing else was bookable other than with cash. I was also told last week by an SPG agent that I could pay 5000 points and get club lounge access at the surfrider for my five night stay. It's a shame I couldn't book there and then although I didn't have enough points last week. However, when I went to book last night I was put on hold and told ( what I knew already) that I couldn't buy beach club access for 5000 points. I The receptionist at the hotel told me that they valued a reward point at 75c and that the total cost of points for beach club access for my stay would be 47000 or I could pay $628. !! I am booked into a partial ocean view in the tower block. Is this a good room to have or is there better value for my 90000 points. ?
I think I will be venturing out for breakfast based on the reviews here. Any recommendations from anyone for a walking distance from hotel breakfast ?

Last edited by charlieduke; Jan 12, 2016 at 3:13 pm
Old Jan 12, 2016, 3:17 pm

Programs: Bonvoy Lifetime Gold Elite
Originally Posted by charlieduke
I think I will be venturing out for breakfast based on the reviews here. Any recommendations from anyone for a walking distance from hotel breakfast ?
Island Vintage Coffee on the second floor of The Royal Hawaiian Center.
Old Jan 12, 2016, 6:16 pm

Bills or the touristy Eggs 'n Things.
Old Jan 13, 2016, 12:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I have read all the reviews and comments on this and the Sheraton/Royal Hawaiian forums and taken the plunge by booking a five night stay at the moana in August. I am SPG gold and used points to book the stay. It will be me, wife and two teenage children. I have booked hotels with SPG before but when I rang up to book the operator gave me a number of room options with points that I had not had before. I was under the impression that you could only book what you saw on the website and that nothing else was bookable other than with cash. I was also told last week by an SPG agent that I could pay 5000 points and get club lounge access at the surfrider for my five night stay. It's a shame I couldn't book there and then although I didn't have enough points last week. However, when I went to book last night I was put on hold and told ( what I knew already) that I couldn't buy beach club access for 5000 points. I The receptionist at the hotel told me that they valued a reward point at 75c and that the total cost of points for beach club access for my stay would be 47000 or I could pay $628. !! I am booked into a partial ocean view in the tower block. Is this a good room to have or is there better value for my 90000 points. ?
You can book any room category up to standard suite with Starpoints I thought.

A standard suite is double the points cost of a standard room, most other room variants lie between the 2.
Old Jan 13, 2016, 12:28 am

Programs: Hilton Gold, IHG Platinum Ambassador, Carlson Gold, British Airways Executive Club
Originally Posted by Land-of-Miles
You can book any room category up to standard suite with Starpoints I thought.

A standard suite is double the points cost of a standard room, most other room variants lie between the 2.
It would help if SPG gave you some options on their website, other than the basic room they always show for points
Old Jan 13, 2016, 10:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

It would help if SPG gave you some options on their website, other than the basic room they always show for points
You always need to call for anything other than a standard room. A Banyan suite is the standard suite I think and that will be 200% of the normal points (if available).

I wouldn't think the points spend is worthwhile myself relative to costs on most Corp rates.
Old Apr 30, 2016, 3:49 am

Banyan Ocean Club at the Westin Moana Surfrider-what to expect ?

Good morning to all,

I have booked a Banyan Ocean Club room with 2 double beds for two adults for two nights and am now in doubt what to expect from this room category, its room rate being 90 USD plus taxes higher than for a Banyan City View room.

A set back will be our checkin time Friday shortly prior to midnight - when all rooms are assigned and all upgrades gone...

I hope for a ocean view room at the Historic Banyan Wing, but am not sure whether they even have ocean view rooms in that wing. Where is actually the club lounge situated and what do they offer during breakfast or Happy Hour (nice wines and cocktails or just plonk ?) periods over a weekend ?

How would I secure one of the top floor rooms (floors 6 or 7) in the Historic Wing- boasting a beautiful Banyan Tree view from the very top of the Moana ?

A side note: my family loves the Moana Historic Wing, having stayed there shortly after its very costly rebuilding many years before and various times since then.

Your experiences and opinions are most welcome - thanks in advance,

juan516.
Old May 1, 2016, 4:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Lounge is on the ground floor at the base of the tower. Breakfast consists of fruit, cereal, hot oatmeal, scrambled eggs and potatoes. They also rotate bread pudding (the best), pancakes and French toast. They've added a miso soup machine.

During the day and evening, there is a popcorn machine.

In the evening they also have veggies and dip, salad, cheese, edamame and a hot dish. Also wine and beer.
Old May 1, 2016, 6:02 am

Programs: UA 1K/2MM, SPG/Marriott Lifetime Titanium, Lifetime HHonors Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, AA Exec Plat
Originally Posted by margarita girl
Lounge is on the ground floor at the base of the tower. Breakfast consists of fruit, cereal, hot oatmeal, scrambled eggs and potatoes. They also rotate bread pudding (the best), pancakes and French toast. They've added a miso soup machine.

During the day and evening, there is a popcorn machine.

In the evening they also have veggies and dip, salad, cheese, edamame and a hot dish. Also wine and beer.
Are the wines and beers complimentary?
Old May 1, 2016, 7:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by sapguy
Yes
Old May 1, 2016, 8:13 am

Programs: UA 1K/2MM, SPG/Marriott Lifetime Titanium, Lifetime HHonors Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, AA Exec Plat
Thanks

I have always liked this property, and will be back later this year.
Old May 1, 2016, 3:12 pm

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, Marriott Ambassador/Lifetime Titanium, Accor Silver, Club Carlson Gold, BW Diamond
Originally Posted by sapguy
One red, one white and one beer (Primo) are available, complimentary.
Old Oct 19, 2016, 7:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

No suite again at this hotel even when using SNA (none 3 weeks ago either). I did get a room in the Diamond wing for the first time. Room was meh, but because I was on top floor, I had an ocean facing balcony that was bigger than my room. ^^

Found the A/C very poor though, so would probably ask for a tower room next time.

I have bad news about the bread pudding in the lounge. They went from serving it 7 days a week to only a few days a week. When I was here 3 weeks ago, I was told that Wednesday is bread pudding day, which is why I stayed last night. Today I was told "no more bread pudding" in the lounge. Can still buy it in the restaurant though.

When they get rid of the popcorn machine, I'm calling it quits!
Attached Images  

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.