Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Westin Monache, Mammoth Lakes, CA [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Westin Monache, Mammoth Lakes, CA [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Feb 26, 2008, 5:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Wouldn't you like to know?!
I saw some pictures from i love snowboarding's album and found the rooms to be rather plain.

It definitely did not look like a category 5 resort and/or a property that charges $399/night.

i love snowboarding wasn't terribly impressed with it either.

Her biggest complaint (and apparently with others as well) is that there is a long flight of stairs from the village/lift to the entrance (no elevator). She claims it's very difficult to get up to the entrance especially wearing ski/snowboarding boots.

I'll ask her if she'd be okay with posting some of her pics.
Old Feb 26, 2008, 6:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM & 2MM, SPG/Bonvoid LT Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, $tarbucks Titanium
Have I mentioned that it's KILLING ME that I have not yet experienced this property?
Old Feb 27, 2008, 7:20 pm

Programs: AAdvantage, spg, Delta skymiles, marriott rewards
Mammoth with children in March

Any stay reports from Mammoth with children. We are flatlanders and first time skiers. Any advice would be helpful before our stay in the 3rd week of March. Will be flying into Ontario and driving UP.
Old Feb 27, 2008, 7:33 pm

Programs: AS MVP, Hilton Diamond, Marriot LTG
Originally Posted by BlissWorld
I saw some pictures from i love snowboarding's album and found the rooms to be rather plain.

It definitely did not look like a category 5 resort and/or a property that charges $399/night.

i love snowboarding wasn't terribly impressed with it either.

Her biggest complaint (and apparently with others as well) is that there is a long flight of stairs from the village/lift to the entrance (no elevator). She claims it's very difficult to get up to the entrance especially wearing ski/snowboarding boots.

I'll ask her if she'd be okay with posting some of her pics.
if it is anything like the westin whistler, the base rooms aren't very nice. the loft suites and 1 bdrm suites are decent.
Old Feb 28, 2008, 2:16 pm

Programs: UA, Starwood Plat, Marriott Gold
I stayed at the Westin Monache on Feb 15-17.

Pic: Lobby

- Rate: $199/night... Booked the room back in December; it was a great deal that I don't think I'll ever see again at this property

- Room Description: 1 king bed + sofa sleeper - "Deluxe Suite Non-smoking, Heavenly Bed And Bath, Kitchenette, Gas Fireplace, 42 Inch Flat Screen Lcd Tv"
The room fit four adults comfortably (2 couples). We were on the 2nd floor with a "view" of the pool and hot tub. Didn't really care about a view, since we were out on the slopes for most of the day anyway.
I inquired about SPG-specific rooms, but was told that there were none left since we arrived so late in the day on the busiest weekend of the year (President's). I expected this reply, but just thought I'd ask.

The room itself was nice; nothing to write home about... a standard sized, no-frills Westin room. Again, since we spend most of our time outside when we go to Mammoth, this was not a problem. Kitchenette was nice and sufficient. Always great to have a fridge and microwave in the room.
Pic: Room pic 1 - view from entryway
Pic: Room pic 2 - kitchenette

- "Perks" - #1 was Board/Ski Valet. When we pulled up to the front door, we were greeted by friendly valet guys / bellhops. Our valet also took our snowboards and gave us numbered cards to claim them from the on-site Board/Ski check area in the morning. Very convenient. I'm sure this feature is also to prevent people from bringing their wet and snowy equipment up to the rooms... can't have the new hotel developing mildew!

Our valet also unloaded our gear bags from the car onto a luggage cart, and accompanied us to our room with the cart. This really beat having to lug all of the heavy bags by ourselves. On the way up to the room, he pointed out the hotel's features and amenities, and mentioned where to go for the pool/jacuzzi, Board/Ski check, etc.

- Parking - Valet took our car when we checked in; you can access your car in the heated underground garage whenever you need it. Many condos and hotels in Mammoth Lakes have a limit on the number of cars you can park at the properties, but this place doesn't. (I called ahead and asked if we would have parking for two cars, and was told it wouldn't be a problem at all)

- On-Site Restaurant - Whitebark Restaurant, Bar and Lounge - The setting and decor had a very sophisticated "mountain/outdoors" type of feel. Surfaces consisted of lots of "earthy" materials - wood, stone, metals, while still retaining a modern look.
When we arrived, they had already stopped serving dinner and were serving lounge/bar-type fare until closing. We ordered a few glasses of wine, spinach & artichoke dip with tasty homemade chips, and Kobe beef mini-burgers. Everything was delicious! I'd eat there again.
Pic: Inside the restaurant

- Location - The hotel is located literally just across the street from the Village Gondola. This was convenient because we didn't have to worry about driving up and finding parking at one of the lodges at the resort base. For those not familiar with Mammoth Mountain and/or Mammoth Lakes, this hotel is not slopeside. However, it is steps away from Whiskey Creek (where we went for happy hour after riding) and all of the restaurants/bars/shops in the Village.

- Negatives - STAIRS. There are 2 main entrances/exits from this hotel: the main entrance to the lobby from the driveway, and the side entrance that faces The Village. The side entrance opens up to a looooong flight of stairs that leads down to street level (the hotel is situated on a hill). In the morning when you are heading to the Village gondola to go up to the resort, these stairs are inconsequential... going down a flight of stairs is cake in any situation, anyway. It's a different story at the end of the day. When you have spent 6+ hours snowboarding or skiing all over Mammoth Mountain, the last thing you want to have to do is ascend several flights of stairs while wearing stiff boots and lugging your equipment.

Before you think of calling me a lazy bum for complaining about stairs, I have been snowboarding for over 11 years, average 30+ days of riding per season, I'm young and in great shape, and these stairs still had me huffing and puffing by the time I reached the top.
I wish this hotel had a street-level door that faces The Village. Or at least some other way to get in that's more friendly to people who are wearing their gear. These stairs make coming back to the hotel a chore, rather than a relief. I don't want to dread going back to the hotel because of stairs!

Fantasy suggestion would be an over-the-street bridge from the current side door to the landing platform of the Village Gondola. It can have keycard-only access to assure that only hotel guests can get through. Another fantasy suggestion would be a covered up-escalator from street level to the top landing of the stairs.

Honestly, I can't think of a viable remedy for this situation since the property is already built... all I can say is that the side entrance + stairs combo looks nice, but it was clearly not designed by somebody who actually skis or snowboards.

More pics:
View from The Village (stupid truck in the way)

View from Village Gondola (hence the cloudy window):
Side of hotel
Main entrance

Conclusion - Overall nice experience, but I --and most other Mammoth visitors-- would not pay the current peak season rack rates (~$400-$900/night) to stay there, when there are plenty of cheaper-but-still-pleasant alternatives in town and closer to the resort... with less stairs.

Last edited by i love snowboarding; Feb 28, 2008 at 4:55 pm
Old Feb 28, 2008, 4:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Thanks for the review, i love snowboarding ^
Old Mar 3, 2008, 11:14 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott LT Titanium, AA LT Gold, Radisson Gold, Hertz PC, HP Masters emeritus (sigh)
Any Plats out there been upgraded at this property? I'm planning to take the whole family there and the bigger suites sound great, if we can get one.
Old Mar 5, 2008, 11:04 pm

Programs: AS MVP, Hilton Diamond, Marriot LTG
Originally Posted by DesertRat
Any Plats out there been upgraded at this property? I'm planning to take the whole family there and the bigger suites sound great, if we can get one.
same question, going in early april
Old Mar 6, 2008, 12:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM & 2MM, SPG/Bonvoid LT Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, $tarbucks Titanium
Adding my thanks to i love snowboarding for the great report ^
Old Mar 6, 2008, 10:21 pm

Programs: SPG-Plat, AA-Plat
Cool Trip Report - March 6-9

Hi all,

I just checked into the Westin Monarche Resort in Mammoth Lakes, CA. I will be updating this trip report throughout my trip and I will have pictures up after the trip.

Day 1:
Arrived at the hotel. The hotel is in a great location right across the street from the Canyons Lodge. When I arrived my car was surrounded by 4 bellman and a car valet guy. I usually don't have people help me with my bags, but they insisted.

First glance response: Great Property! This place is brand new; my bathroom still had the painting tape around the shower head (kind of good/kind of bad). I bet I am the first person to stay in this room. I love the room and they are GREAT for families. Each room has a king bed and a double pullout sofa. (If you add a roll away you can sleep 5.) Each room also has a fireplace, flat screen TV, and full kitchenette including stove top and microwave.

BIG NEGATIVE: The property does not "give love" to platinum members. When I check in the front desk manager told me the "this property does not offer upgrades because it is a resort." (Traveling 40-50 nights per year, this is the first time I have ever heard this answer. I always get upgraded at the sister resort in Dana Point.)

BIG POSITIVE: I am using points for this stay and I was still given the 500 point platinum gift.

My verdict is still out...... To be continued.

Day 2

I woke up early on day two to a beautiful day of skiing. There was a high of 50 degrees and the snow was amazing. But I had the big walk up the 5 flights of steps with sore legs, it wasn't fun. When I got back to my room I still had tape on my shower, the maid did not finish her job, and when I called for my car the message was never passed. (Don’t pass judgment yet) So I went and talked with the manager and explained to him my problems. He said that he was sorry for my problems and that he will take a personal interest in resolving the issues. He explained to me how the resort is new and he is trying to work out all the kinks... On top of that he gave me 5,000 starpoints for my inconvenience. (Now that is customer service)

Day 3

Woke up to another great day of skiing. Unfortunately my wife, who is 8 months pregnant, came down with the flue, so I could only get a half day of skiing in. I originally was staying until Sunday (4 days) and when I went to leave Saturday afternoon they waived the charge for my final night! :-) Very nice and gracious people!

Final Verdict:
Pros:
GREAT Family hotel - The kitchen and large size of rooms is great.
Resort charge includes long distance calls, internet, ski valet, & parking!
Brand New!
GREAT MANAGEMENT!

Cons:
The resort is still working out its kinks.
PRICE! I do not think the $399 price point is correct for this hotel. Yes it is one of the nicest hotels in Mammoth, but it is too expensive. I believe the correct price point is $249 or $299.

Please feel free to personal message me if you have any questions

Last edited by BusTravDave; Mar 11, 2008 at 4:34 pm Reason: Final update
Old Mar 7, 2008, 9:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by BusTravDave
When I check in the front desk manager told me the "this property does not offer upgrades because it is a resort."
I believe the only benefit that resorts are exempt from giving is the 4PM late check out. Maybe lurker can clear this up.
Old Mar 7, 2008, 10:01 am
Company Representative - Starwood

Programs: Marriott Employee Level
Originally Posted by BlissWorld
I believe the only benefit that resorts are exempt from giving is the 4PM late check out. Maybe lurker can clear this up.
Only if I can provide the guest's real name and information regarding the stay dates.

Best regards,

William R. Sanders
Online Guest Feedback Coordinator
Starwood Hotels & Resorts Worldwide

[email protected]
Old Mar 7, 2008, 11:43 am

Enjoy your weekend, BusTravDave!

Can't believe they denied you an upgrade as a Plat. I doubt the hotel was booked to capacity, as it is not a holiday weekend and there haven't been any major recent storms.
Looking forward to reading the rest of your Trip Report.
Old Mar 7, 2008, 1:48 pm

Originally Posted by CandymanJim
Enterprise will bring the car to Hot Creeek Avaition, for free. No jet, just a fast plane.

I went to Whistler last year and it appears Mammoth is almost identical in the rooms and their layouts. I will provide a report by the end of January. I told my wife there is a spa here, so she happily signed off on the deal.

Jim
CandymanJim, any comments after your stay in January?

I'm interested to know how the Mammoth rooms compare to the ones in Whistler. I'll be staying at the Westin Whistler for the first time next season.
Old Mar 8, 2008, 12:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by i love snowboarding
Enjoy your weekend, BusTravDave!

Can't believe they denied you an upgrade as a Plat. I doubt the hotel was booked to capacity, as it is not a holiday weekend and there haven't been any major recent storms.
Looking forward to reading the rest of your Trip Report.
maybe it's SPG.bomb, but I tried many variations of those same dates, but shows full. Is the hotel really doing that well?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.