Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Westin Maui, Ka'anapali, Hawaii [Master Thread]

Old Dec 28, 2021, 7:38 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: margarita girl
Hotel email address: [email protected]
Print Wikipost

Old Mar 3, 2014, 7:06 pm

Programs: Starwood Platinum, AA Gold

Staying 5 nights, got a generous platinum upgrade to an exec suite in renovated Ocean tower. Verrrrry nice.
Old Mar 4, 2014, 2:12 pm
tnw

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy LTTE, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt
Originally Posted by milemonkey
We agree with our love of this hotel. We haven't been there quite as many times as you guys but our first stay goes back to 1989 when we were married. Going back next week (in a Luxury Suite!!!) to celebrate our 25th anniversary.
Happy Anniversary to you and enjoy the Luxury Suite. We have had the pleasure in staying in one of these suites 3 different stays. Very nice room, spacious and gorgeous ocean views from all 3 large balconies.
Old Mar 30, 2014, 3:20 pm

Programs: Hilton HHonors Gold
Just finished a six-night stay at the Westin Maui and have to say they did a great job with the renovation of the Ocean Tower rooms. When I made the reservation last summer, I was a little nervous as the comments on Trip Advisor had the Westin as one of the lowest-ranked hotels in the area (still showing as 23rd out of 28 hotels in Lahaina.) In my opinion, I think it should be in the top 10 after the renovation. Room looked brand-new with a modern design, great bed and linens, etc.

The rest of the resort was fantastic, with multiple pools and a fitness room overlooking the pool and the ocean. Being a resort on one of the premier beaches in the world, the cost for everything was high, but typical for any of the hotels on Kaanapali Beach. Fortunately, we were able to book with SPG points, so our only cost for the room was the $30 per night resort fee. Our greatest disappointment was the recent increase in points needed to book the Westin. For this trip, our stay cost 60,000 points. A stay for next spring break would cost about 100,000 points .
Old Mar 31, 2014, 10:22 pm

I agree with PDX Duck. Just returned from 2 nights and was very impressed with bathroom and balcony improvements.
Old Jul 14, 2014, 12:32 pm

Programs: American Airlines, SPG
Resort Fees?

Hello!

I saw on another thread (Sheraton Honolulu) that we now have the ability to refuse the resort fees. Has anyone experienced that at the Westin?

What do we loose by doing that?

Shannon
Old Sep 2, 2014, 8:00 pm

Programs: American Airlines, SPG
Originally Posted by sthomes
Hello!

I saw on another thread (Sheraton Honolulu) that we now have the ability to refuse the resort fees. Has anyone experienced that at the Westin?

Shannon
Old Sep 9, 2014, 9:38 pm

Programs: AS 100K, DL MM, AA PLT
Not a ton to add to previous posters; this is a nice, large Hawaii resort with the associated pros and cons. Scored a Luxury Suite as a Platinum upgrade for a 2-night mid-week stay, which is certainly a lovely room. The bathroom is a bit over the top, though--tons of wasted space, an opulent tub, but a shower like a dungeon.
Old Sep 10, 2014, 5:26 am

Programs: HH Diamond, Kimpton IC, Marriott Plat, AS MVP Gold
I stayed here last week for 5 nights and was "upgraded" from my ocean view room in the ocean tower to a premium ocean view in the beach tower. Great view but what a dump of a tower, carpets peeling up in the hallways, room needs renovation, etc.

Also, while this area may have nice views and pools, the beaches are pretty much unswimmable due to currents and waves. Also, the tourist feel to the area puts it in a similar category of Times Square but with even less options in the immediate area.

In summary, I will never stay in West Maui again. If you ever were debating West Maui vs Wailea, there is no comparison, I cannot even begin to describe how different they are.
Old Sep 13, 2014, 12:58 pm

Originally Posted by drewdawg199
If you ever were debating West Maui vs Wailea, there is no comparison, I cannot even begin to describe how different they are.
@drewdawg I actually debate this all the time (since I always have Hawaii on the brain) and I am interested in your comment. We have stayed at Wailea once (FS) and at Westin Ka'anapali numerous times. I like them both but for different reasons. The Westin is a great destination when we have young kids in tow. I would be more likely to return to Wailea if it is just the two of us. Is it the high number of families at Ka'anapali that bothers you?

I was actually more frustrated at FS Wailea by the competition for pool chairs than I am at the Westin. I guess you expect it at Ka'anapali, but at the FS I was disappointed by the "rat race" feeling where I expected a more gracious experience. The FS Hualalai is more to my liking than the one at Wailea.

My memory is that the FS Wailea restaurants are all very pricey and not remarkable. At Ka'anapali you can at least head over to Hula Grill for a more "reasonably" priced meal.
Old Sep 14, 2014, 5:07 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP 2MM; Marriott Titanium; Hilton Diamond; Hyatt Explorist; Vistana 5* Elite; Nat'l Exec Elite
Originally Posted by drewdawg199
. . .

In summary, I will never stay in West Maui again. If you ever were debating West Maui vs Wailea, there is no comparison, I cannot even begin to describe how different they are.
I agree with ejong on West Maui vs. Wailea.

Even though the scenery is nice in Wailea, I was underwhelmed by our three-night stay at the Fairmont Kea Lani in Wailea as the rooms and property overall were tired and with the exception of the bar area, the service was ho-hum.

I regularly stay at The Westin Ka'anapali Ocean Resort Villas and try to stay when kids are in school. We really enjoy it. AND we have also stayed in West Maui at the Ritz-Carlton Kapalua and it blows the Fairmont Kea Lani - Wailea away!
Old Oct 10, 2014, 11:52 am

Programs: DL Diamond, SPG Gold. I share these affiliations so that you can ask me questions about the programs
Does anyone have pictures to share of the renovated rooms at the Westin?

I'm hosting Flyertalkers at the Four Seasons Maui for a "Do" Dec. 11th, our rate $395, but am debating between Maui and Kauai for a March trip.
Old Dec 22, 2014, 12:46 pm
Suspended

Programs: AC SE*2MM. SPG Plat life
Originally Posted by Goodmorning2U
Does anyone have pictures to share of the renovated rooms at the Westin?

I'm hosting Flyertalkers at the Four Seasons Maui for a "Do" Dec. 11th, our rate $395, but am debating between Maui and Kauai for a March trip.
Justed stay 15 days at the hotel. Had Jr suite in the beach tower. Room was very tired. Needs re-doing, plus maid service was bad. Had to phone mgt 3 or 4 times, because maid basically did nothing. Room and bathroom were dirty. Hotel only fixed up hallways.
Old Jan 12, 2015, 12:52 pm

Programs: SPG Gold, HHonors Gold, IHG Platinum, Marriott Silver
Originally Posted by sthomes
Hello!

Shannon
Can anyone comment if this is true? Any chance of refusing the $31.25 resort fees?
Old Feb 21, 2015, 11:19 am

bump
Old Mar 19, 2015, 3:15 pm

Programs: AA mm, Hilton Dime, Hyatt Xpl.& PC Plat, Miracle Fruit-su club
Now that the Westin is budget priced on points, dare I mention you may also be able to get the good ol' ocean view rooms for 14,500 points/night by calling SPG? Nahh, I probably shouldn't.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.