Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Westin Maui, Ka'anapali, Hawaii [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 28, 2021, 7:38 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: margarita girl
Hotel email address: [email protected]
Print Wikipost

Westin Maui, Ka'anapali, Hawaii [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Mar 1, 2011, 6:36 pm

Good so far

We checked in on 2/28 in the late evening, and have so far had a great experience. I must say I was terrified of staying in this property after all of the negative reviews. However, there was no line at check in, the agent did thank me for Platinum status, and did offer an excellent upgrade. She was quick to explain that there are multiple groups in the hotel and thus all king beds are taken, but we received a premium deluxe ocean front view in the beach tower with double beds. Rooms are clean and the staff seems very attentive. While there a lot of people around, it seems many are in conference meetings or on excursions as there is no problem getting chairs at the pool and dining is not overly crowded. My opinion may change over the next few days, but so far everything is great and after walking around and seeing all of the other hotels on the beach, they are equally as crowded, have more kids in general and are just as bustling. I would likely have been dissapointed had I chosen the Sheraton or another brand out of fear of this property.
Old Mar 1, 2011, 7:15 pm

Programs: UA GS4MM, MR LT Plat, Hilton Gold
Huh????

An excellent upgrade as a platinum member when you want a king bed is a room with double beds? Really?
Old Mar 1, 2011, 7:25 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by billxmeredith
Huh????

An excellent upgrade as a platinum member when you want a king bed is a room with double beds? Really?
I guess for some people a Premium Ocean Front view room is worth more then a King bed

Ive accepted an inner suite over a room with a view and a suite with no real view over a reg ocean view room. And downgraded my room to a small river view room from a room 2x that size w/o a view.

It all depended on who I was with and where I was. Ive also passed up a suite at times since I wanted/needed the room then and there and didnt want to wait a few extra hrs till the suite would be ready
Old Mar 1, 2011, 11:33 pm

Originally Posted by craz
I guess for some people a Premium Ocean Front view room is worth more then a King bed

Ive accepted an inner suite over a room with a view and a suite with no real view over a reg ocean view room. And downgraded my room to a small river view room from a room 2x that size w/o a view.

It all depended on who I was with and where I was. Ive also passed up a suite at times since I wanted/needed the room then and there and didnt want to wait a few extra hrs till the suite would be ready
I probably should have elaborated - there are times that warrent special circumstances. I don't disagree.

Having stayed at both properties (Sheraton/Westin) over 15 times each I'm skeptical at best a Plat member couldn't get a king bed with a premium ocean view. I'd wager the upgrade rate to a suite is over 85% at the Sheraton and over 50% for a Plat at the Westin. I just can't imagine the Westin couldn't find a king bed room with a premium ocean view - it doesn't sound right. This property is huge and while it is disappointing to not get a suite it is incredibly bad luck to get double beds (unless you want it) ocean view. Let alone be happy with that upgrade.
Old Mar 3, 2011, 7:54 pm

Let me clarify. We have one of the 40 rooms in the beach tower that is beachfront, with a more than 180 degree view. We are also high up. So the way I look at it, if there are ~750rooms, that means ~5% of rooms are offered this view. During whale watching season (and in my opinoin any time of year), view in Hawaii is paramount to much else. So to say that I was afforded a view that only 5% of rooms have, that sounds like a pretty darn good upgrade to me.

I could have gotten a king room immediately in a lesser view (including beach), however, we opted for the view. They also said we are welcome to check back for a king on ensuing days of our stay, which we declined due to wanting to unpack and feel comfortable. So all in all, I would say that it is tough to be dissapointed with the room we received.
Old Mar 8, 2011, 12:49 pm

Westin Maui Resort & Spa

Booked there late August this year...

Have Deluxe Ocean view booked, not sure if there are any deals on this location anyone knows about, using AAA now and the rate is $383 for deluxe ocean view.

Nothing else on the various spg sites that I can see that is better...

If anyone knows anyway to improve that, let me know, thanks!
Old Mar 8, 2011, 1:54 pm

Programs: AA 2 MM Plt, *wood Plt
randys1 - With your tenure on FT, you should know that starting a new thread should only be done after appropriate searching. And new threads should be placed in the correct forum.

Here is a more appropriate thread to post for the Westin Kaanapali:
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/starw...er-thread.html

Here is a more appropriate place to search for promos/price deals:
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/starw...os-promos.html

And here is a more appropriate forum to post for price info:
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/hotel-deals-607/

And try rate code ZB4 for a four-day stay. Which I found by looking at the promos thread.
Old Mar 8, 2011, 2:15 pm

1. What is the daily valet parking fee if anyone knows?

2. And did I read that wifi is included in the resort fee?

3. Anybody notice if the network channels, abc/cbs etc are in hi def or not?

thanks...
Old Mar 8, 2011, 10:55 pm

Programs: UA GS 2MM, AA P 2MM, DL PM, US P, VS G, SPG LT P, HH D, HYATT P, PC P, AVIS PC, HERTZ PLAT
Originally Posted by randys1

thanks...
1 ) Last year it was Free self-parking on premise; valet parking available for $12 a day.
2) internet is included with the resort fee if I remember correctly.
3) I never turn the tv on in maui so I can't help you there.
Old Mar 9, 2011, 11:43 am

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Gold, SPG Lifetime Gold, SPG Platinum 75, Marriott Platinum Elite
Cool In DIRE need of renovation!!

My wife and I have been to this beautiful property in both 2006 & 2009 (first time as couple, 2nd time with kids). The location of the Westin Maui cannot be beat! It is right adjacent to Whaler's Village, and many excellent restaurants and shops. It is right on the beach, with ample beach space available. The views from the hotel are incredible! The grounds are very nice, with many fish and swans swimming throughout. My 2 year old daughter LOVED the fish pools! However, sadly, this hotel is not being kept up, and is in dire need of a full renovation! The property stays busy, but it is no excuse to not upkeep the hotel, to maintain the quality and expectation that a Westin should provide. Years ago, I was a Hilton Diamond. Sadly, most Westins today (and this one especially) are becoming what Hiltons were and are...HIT OR MISS properties, mostly MISS! The furniture is worn, the carpet is soiled and stained, and the rooms + general areas just look extremely tired. Starwood should step in and demand that this hotel be remodeled/renovated, in order the keep the Westin Brand. This hotel, any more, is no more than a 2-Star in my opinion.
Old Mar 10, 2011, 7:48 am

Ughhhhh. I can't make up my mind.

I'm very weary of this hotel, because of the lack of respect for any status members and because it seems like it's overran with kids from what I've read elsewhere. By saying that I mean no disrespect, I just don't want to have kids running around all over. I've looked at the Sheraton, which to me seems like a better hotel, based on the lack of kids part... problem is, no cash+points available. I took the option and booked at the Westin because I didn't want to loose the opportunity to use c+p.

We're planning on going to Maui on April 27-May 3. It seems like, from what I've seen on spg.com that there's every kind of room available, so I'm hoping for an upgrade... I really don't have many other options. We've never been to Maui, so we don't know what to expect and I don't know if this is high season or not. My hopes are that it's a little quieter during this time. We may stay instead in Oahu... there's a few options there for c+p. Generally speaking though, Hawaii and c+p don't seem to get along...

Any advice one can offer?
Old Mar 10, 2011, 10:48 am

Originally Posted by catIII
Ughhhhh. I can't make up my mind.

I'm very weary of this hotel, because of the lack of respect for any status members and because it seems like it's overran with kids from what I've read elsewhere. By saying that I mean no disrespect, I just don't want to have kids running around all over. I've looked at the Sheraton, which to me seems like a better hotel, based on the lack of kids part... problem is, no cash+points available. I took the option and booked at the Westin because I didn't want to loose the opportunity to use c+p.

We're planning on going to Maui on April 27-May 3. It seems like, from what I've seen on spg.com that there's every kind of room available, so I'm hoping for an upgrade... I really don't have many other options. We've never been to Maui, so we don't know what to expect and I don't know if this is high season or not. My hopes are that it's a little quieter during this time. We may stay instead in Oahu... there's a few options there for c+p. Generally speaking though, Hawaii and c+p don't seem to get along...

Any advice one can offer?
Well - I think you have to decide what kind of trip that you want.

Let's start with kids - yes, the Westin will tend to have more kids than the Sheraton (and I'm not a huge fan of the Westin - upgrades are real hit and miss and the pool can get very crowded). On the other hand - the dates you are going - kids are still in school, high season doesn't really start until Memorial Day Weekend. On that criteria - if you are price sensitive for C&P and it isn't available at the Sheraton - I'd do the Westin.

The other aspect you mentioned is Oahu vs. Maui - have you been to Hawaii very often? The experiences of these 2 islands are night and day. Oahu/Honolulu is in a fairly large city - with the benefits/disadvantages that brings - think crowded, rush hour traffic - on the flip side, more things walking distance. Maui is much more traditional Hawaii - better beaches, more open, its more expensive and you need a car - these are vastly different islands and experiences. You've really got to decide what island experience you want.
Old Mar 10, 2011, 11:59 am

Thanks for the response...

Never been to Hawaii, so new to the entire process... but after looking around this afternoon, I'm pretty sure Maui suits us best. I'm pretty much stuck at the Westin, I wouldn't be so hooked on c+p, but after 2 weeks in Europe and a trip to Mexico at the beginning of April, I'm leaning towards the points side of things.

Here's to hoping its a good time of the year and we can maybe score an upgrade... not counting on it though!
Old Mar 10, 2011, 12:04 pm

Originally Posted by catIII
Thanks for the response...

Never been to Hawaii, so new to the entire process... but after looking around this afternoon, I'm pretty sure Maui suits us best. I'm pretty much stuck at the Westin, I wouldn't be so hooked on c+p, but after 2 weeks in Europe and a trip to Mexico at the beginning of April, I'm leaning towards the points side of things.

Here's to hoping its a good time of the year and we can maybe score an upgrade... not counting on it though!
I was there 2 yrs ago, loved it...but the hotel itself is plain, rooms, etc. But then most S/W hotels are.

I am a big fan of it being next door to Whalers Village and it having a water slide, love the slide, but I hear the Grand Wailea in Wailea has an even bigger one, so looking at that option, pricier though

p.s. if you want the full hawaii feel without hiking etc., fly to Kauai for the day while you are there, you will love it
Old Mar 12, 2011, 7:25 am

Programs: Starwood Platinum, AA Gold
Originally Posted by randys1

thanks...
We just stayed here a couple weeks ago. I can't recall the valet parking fee, because I self-parked (no extra charge). When self-parking is full, valet parking is free.

WiFi is included in resort fee. And yes, network channels were in hi def. (My wife wanted to watch "The Bachelor".)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.