Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Courtyard Nassau Downtown/Junkanoo Beach, Bahamas [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old May 22, 2016, 11:31 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
Original Poster

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium

Courtyard Nassau Downtown/Junkanoo Beach opening June 2016. Cat 6. Three room types: island view, ocean front, walk out to pool.

Hotel website:

http://www.marriott.com/hotels/trave...unkanoo-beach/

Opposite Junkanoo Beach, located on West Bay Street. 10 Minute Drive from Nassau International Airport, Direct flights are offered. 6 Minutes from Port of Nassau. 8 Minutes to Paradise Island, Atlantis.... Only moments from the sparkling shores of Junkanoo Beach, our hotel places you in downtown Nassau, Bahamas, close to Cable Beach, as well as top-quality shopping, dining, and local entertainment."

Cheers.
Old May 23, 2016, 8:50 pm

This was a old hotel that was extensively renovated. Looks quite nice from the outside. There is a road between the hotel and beach, but it should take no more than 20 steps to get to the beach from the hotel.
Old May 24, 2016, 7:51 am
Original Poster

Thanks for the info. Much appreciated.

Cheers.
Old Jun 29, 2016, 9:50 am
Original Poster

Officially open. Press release on Marriott website:

http://news.marriott.com/2016/06/cou...hotel-bahamas/

Cheers.
Old May 2, 2017, 12:58 pm

Programs: Delta Diamond, United 1K, BA Blue, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Gold, Amex Platinum
I stayed at this hotel last week and it was not a pleasant experience.

- Ocean view is only really side on, since none of the rooms have windows facing the water directly
- No room service
- One time housekeeping thought it was a good idea to service the room after 4pm
- The balconies are tiny, cannot even walk out fully so part of me stayed in the room
- The dinner menu is limited
- The breakfast rate gives vouchers for a couple of items continental-style + a drink, but nothing substantial
- For what is supposedly a brand new hotel, it looks very dated
- Staff are not very enthusiastic
- Location not ideal if you want to get into the business district in the morning and return in the late afternoon

I doubt I will stay here again if I return. Will probably go for either Grand Hyatt or a place on Paradise Island.
Old May 2, 2017, 1:20 pm
Original Poster

Thanks for the trip report. Sounds disappointing.

Cheers.
Old May 3, 2017, 12:31 pm

Programs: Delta Diamond, United 1K, BA Blue, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Gold, Amex Platinum
Originally Posted by SkiAdcock
Thanks for the trip report. Sounds disappointing.

Cheers.
It was for the price they are asking. I appreciate that there are no cheap hotels in Bahamas, but this hotel is clinging to those kinds of coattails rather than justifying the price. If ever I stayed at a hotel that justifies paying more for better, it is this one.
Old Jun 22, 2017, 2:28 pm

Programs: UA Au Marriott Ti Hilton C
We spent a new guy there last week and it was alright - as in, not great and not awful.

The funny part is that I ranked them 8 out of 10 on the subsequent survey, which I thought was pretty generous on my part.

I got an email from the GM asking what they could do better.

Here are are a couple things:

1. Post points in a timely way without me having to submit a missing stay request.

2. Don't nickel and dime me with resort levy, destination fee and housekeeping fees for both the date of arrival and the date of departure. (Only the $5 housekeeping fee was applied to both dates. )
I'm well aware that these practices are endemic to hotels anywhere near a beach, but this was absurd.
Old Jan 17, 2018, 9:12 am

Programs: Air Canada P25K, Hilton Honors Gold, Marriott Gold, MGM Gold
I'm considering staying here for a few days on points and was wondering if the resort levy, etc. are still charged on reward nights.
Old Oct 8, 2021, 5:24 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Occasional RTW club
Have there been any recent experiences at this property?
Old Jan 9, 2024, 11:50 am

Programs: Bonvoy Titanium, SPG LTP
Had a 3 night stay here over New Years as part of a longer trip that included Atlantis. Hotel is in a transition phase. Half the exterior is painted. Lobby spaces appear to be nearly fully renovated with a little bit of paint and trim work left. Hallways have a less renovated vibe (older looking carpet). Unclear what the complete plan is, but I suspect some rooms are unrenovated based on what we could see through windows. A few notes:

Positives:
Location is nice for access to Junkanoo Beach, Arawak Cay, and downtown Nassau.
Received a renovated room on the top floor close to the beach (and road).
Decent breakfast (2 entrees, 2 drinks) for titanium
Two drinks per night (rum cocktails or non-alcoholic options)

Less Positives:
Road noise can be an issue
Coffee was awful
Pool temp was very cold
Some staff are a bit cold, but we kind of found that to be true throughout our trip

Recent Trip Advisor reviews have been pretty rough so I was nervous, but was pleasantly surprised. Would I plan a trip around this property? No, but if you needed to be in town for a night or wanted a little more authenticity than just staying at an isolated resort, it could be a decent option of the price is right. We redeemed at decent rates. Cash rates were absurdly high--I'm assuming due to the holiday and Junakanoo.

Other tips:
We got a taxi driver (Darren Kelly, 242-544-3207) by chance who we really like and ended up using him several times. I messaged him on WhatsApp and he was always on time or early, very friendly, clean car with room for up to 4. Highly recommend him as I booked someone else I found online for our initial trip in from the airport and he was awful. Beat up van, broken seatbelts, complained about money issues and then peppered us with questions about our religious beliefs.

The Margaritaville Resort has a coffee shop in their lobby with decent coffee. It's like a 5 minute walk.

Oku Sushi in town was a great find. Not what I think of first when I think Bahamas, but they have some fun stuff, including items with lobster and conch. Very small--definitely make reservations.
Old Mar 9, 2024, 1:14 am

Programs: DL 2 MM Unobtainum | UA 1.1MM Gold | MR Bonvoy Titanium
Originally Posted by Sam P. Goodman
Had a 3 night stay here over New Years as part of a longer trip that included Atlantis. Hotel is in a transition phase. Half the exterior is painted. Lobby spaces appear to be nearly fully renovated with a little bit of paint and trim work left. Hallways have a less renovated vibe (older looking carpet). Unclear what the complete plan is, but I suspect some rooms are unrenovated based on what we could see through windows. A few notes:

Positives:
Location is nice for access to Junkanoo Beach, Arawak Cay, and downtown Nassau.
Received a renovated room on the top floor close to the beach (and road).
Decent breakfast (2 entrees, 2 drinks) for titanium
Two drinks per night (rum cocktails or non-alcoholic options)

Less Positives:
Road noise can be an issue
Coffee was awful
Pool temp was very cold
Some staff are a bit cold, but we kind of found that to be true throughout our trip

Recent Trip Advisor reviews have been pretty rough so I was nervous, but was pleasantly surprised. Would I plan a trip around this property? No, but if you needed to be in town for a night or wanted a little more authenticity than just staying at an isolated resort, it could be a decent option of the price is right. We redeemed at decent rates. Cash rates were absurdly high--I'm assuming due to the holiday and Junakanoo.

Other tips:
We got a taxi driver (Darren Kelly, 242-544-3207) by chance who we really like and ended up using him several times. I messaged him on WhatsApp and he was always on time or early, very friendly, clean car with room for up to 4. Highly recommend him as I booked someone else I found online for our initial trip in from the airport and he was awful. Beat up van, broken seatbelts, complained about money issues and then peppered us with questions about our religious beliefs.

The Margaritaville Resort has a coffee shop in their lobby with decent coffee. It's like a 5 minute walk.

Oku Sushi in town was a great find. Not what I think of first when I think Bahamas, but they have some fun stuff, including items with lobster and conch. Very small--definitely make reservations.
Thank you for sharing your insights! Will be staying four days in the Bahamas 🇧🇸 and couldn't justify the $$$ for the Atlantis so we'll be staying at the Courtyard on points.

I'll also share a review of our stay once we're done there but it sounds like a top floor room might be desirable?
Old Mar 10, 2024, 8:19 am

Just leaving here - stayed 2 nights.
Certainly got lucky with a good redemption (1.6cpp-ish) because the cash rate was quite excessive for what the hotel is. I’ll agree with a few other reviews that this property doesn’t quite meet the standard of other Courtyards, but all that to say it’s not all that bad either.

Great location, welcoming staff. As titanium I also got free breakfast and a drink each night (for myself and my spouse.)

While half the hotel is under renovations, it seems that even some of the renovated rooms need more attention. I had a room on the 3rd floor facing the adult pool, and it seems someone missed the measurements on the doors - most rooms on that side were extremely hard to open / close without an undue amount of force.

Wifi works great in the common areas, not so much in the rooms.

Would I stay here again? For a good points deal.. absolutely. The location is hard to beat.
Old Mar 28, 2024, 10:17 am

Question

Originally Posted by razorblade705
Just leaving here - stayed 2 nights.
Certainly got lucky with a good redemption (1.6cpp-ish) because the cash rate was quite excessive for what the hotel is. I’ll agree with a few other reviews that this property doesn’t quite meet the standard of other Courtyards, but all that to say it’s not all that bad either.

Great location, welcoming staff. As titanium I also got free breakfast and a drink each night (for myself and my spouse.)

While half the hotel is under renovations, it seems that even some of the renovated rooms need more attention. I had a room on the 3rd floor facing the adult pool, and it seems someone missed the measurements on the doors - most rooms on that side were extremely hard to open / close without an undue amount of force.

Wifi works great in the common areas, not so much in the rooms.

Would I stay here again? For a good points deal.. absolutely. The location is hard to beat.
We are heading here using points. We hear this area shuts down around 5pm once the cruise ships leave, any advice on nearby food? Did you just relax in the room after 5 or did you find anything to do? Recommendations appreciated.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.